• You cannot reply to this topic

Wealdstone Matchday Thread

#161 User is offline   spireitedave 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:53 PM

Just got back
I've already got my season ticket for next year and will follow home and away.
BUT if I was a betting man I'd be asking for odds on us being relegated !

#162 User is offline   Bluekent 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:59 PM

View Postspireitedave, on 13 April 2024 - 07:53 PM, said:

Just got back

😂😂😂

#163 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 08:06 PM

[quote name='Goku' timestamp='1713032496' post='1817248']
And how do you reconcile that quote with the fact we smashed the league to bits and had it won by Jan?

Its called pride in your self...come on wealdstone are a bunch of decorators.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#164 User is offline   Nickycw 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 13 April 2024 - 08:06 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 13 April 2024 - 06:09 PM, said:

Although Stockport only scored 87 from 44 games in their Championship season and 86 from 43 this season.

Have a look at their defensive record. That’s why they’ve gone up twice in 3 years, and almost twice in 2 years

#165 User is online   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 08:12 PM

View PostNickycw, on 13 April 2024 - 08:06 PM, said:

Have a look at their defensive record. That’s why they’ve gone up twice in 3 years, and almost twice in 2 years

We need a new entire back line to be even thinking about top half next season. The current backline is bottom 6 nailed on sadly.
Management Accepts New Ideas And Criticism...When Im Managaging think MANIAC!!

#166 User is offline   Exharboroughspireite 

• ExHarboroughspireite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 08:24 PM

National league winners goals conceded last few years (not including covid year)

Wrexham 43
Stockport 38
Sutton 36
Orient 34
Macclesfield 46

We have conceded 61 with two left.

This post has been edited by Exharboroughspireite: 13 April 2024 - 08:29 PM

#167 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 13 April 2024 - 08:31 PM

View PostTown_Fan, on 13 April 2024 - 03:50 PM, said:

He's absolutely insufferable, somehow makes everything about him. A few pre season friendlies they used some youngsters on North Derbyshire radio and they were a breath of fresh air. Tooley is very epitome of the CFC barnacle.

Ifollow should still be available for people outside the UK so you should be safe.

We wouldn’t have a club without the efforts of Phil Tooley and co. His commentary is fine. Yes, he’s on the ‘inside’ and has to play it accordingly sometimes, but the flip side of that is having a decent insight as to what is actually going on at the club.

I didn’t watch today as I’m abroad for the first time in years, but wow, what a privileged lot we are. I feel for those who travelled and were let down but the wider picture is rosier than it has been since Cook left first time around.
These go to eleven.

#168 User is online   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 08:34 PM

Can see Monday easily being the biggest defeat of the season. Defence is absolute shot to pieces and we don’t score goals with Colclough and Grigg out the side.

Major work to be done over the summer sorting out this defence.
Management Accepts New Ideas And Criticism...When Im Managaging think MANIAC!!

#169 User is offline   gb007 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 08:38 PM

Exharboroughspireite said:

1713039846[/url]' post='1817291']
National league winners goals conceded last few years (not including covid year)

Wrexham 43
Stockport 38
Sutton 36
Orient 34
Macclesfield 46

We have conceded 61 with two left.

This was all said pre -season but we carried on regardless.
Brilliant stuff winning the league easily but looking back some of those earlier games could have gone either way.
Anyway mission accomplished but no time for sentiment the CH’s are not up to scratch-we need a leader on the pitch !!
Up top we need a better option to help Grigg out ( who will score 20+ next year)
In Cook we trust - I am guessing he is as angry as we are with the current performances-in some ways it’s good to expose the weaknesses we have prior to the new season .
FWIW - I think with some good defensive additions and help for Grigg we will be nearer the top than the bottom of the league
“When was the last time you did something for the first time”

#170 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 13 April 2024 - 08:46 PM

View PostNickycw, on 13 April 2024 - 08:06 PM, said:

And why have we won the Championship so easily?
Seems there are two ways. Boringly defensive or open and adventurous.

#171 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 08:47 PM

View Postspireitedave, on 13 April 2024 - 07:53 PM, said:

Just got back

No need to talk about relegation. In my opinion if we get a few quality addition we will be comfortably be mid table.

#172 User is offline   Nickycw 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 13 April 2024 - 09:08 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 13 April 2024 - 08:46 PM, said:

And why have we won the Championship so easily?
Seems there are two ways. Boringly defensive or open and adventurous.

Yep quite possibly. I love the attacking approach, but not convinced we can give up so many good chances against better opposition, when we’re conceding plenty against pretty poor teams.

#173 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 09:10 PM

View PostNickycw, on 13 April 2024 - 09:08 PM, said:

Yep quite possibly. I love the attacking approach, but not convinced we can give up so many good chances against better opposition, when we’re conceding plenty against pretty poor teams.

we won't

#174 User is offline   jonnythespireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 09:14 PM

View Postronpowellsbutler, on 13 April 2024 - 05:57 PM, said:

Did we not win the league by being brilliant for 30 odd games ? As in overperformed.

Yes, that’s why the current form is so puzzling.
I won’t be at Gateshead on Monday but would like to see a shot for my £9.50.

It’s not puzzling at all. Seen it year in year out with other teams who win promotion. Thing is we’ve probably done it earlier than anyone ever.
YOU CHOOSE YOUR LEADERS AND PLACE YOUR TRUST AS THEIR LIES WASH YOU DOWN AND THEIR PROMISES RUST.

#175 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 13 April 2024 - 09:15 PM

View PostNickycw, on 13 April 2024 - 09:08 PM, said:

I’ve seen us in virtually every season we’ve played in League Two and its predecessors. They’ll be plenty of poorer teams than us, don’t worry. It’s League Two, not the Championship.

#176 User is offline   jonnythespireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 09:20 PM

View Postgordon_brittas, on 13 April 2024 - 08:12 PM, said:

We need a new entire back line to be even thinking about top half next season. The current backline is bottom 6 nailed on sadly.

Ayup. Europe’s number one pundit is here. Have you ever thought it might get changed? Statistically you generally get fooook all right.
YOU CHOOSE YOUR LEADERS AND PLACE YOUR TRUST AS THEIR LIES WASH YOU DOWN AND THEIR PROMISES RUST.

#177 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 13 April 2024 - 09:25 PM

View Postjonnythespireite, on 13 April 2024 - 09:14 PM, said:

It’s not puzzling at all. Seen it year in year out with other teams who win promotion. Thing is we’ve probably done it earlier than anyone ever.

See Ipswich, Leicester and Leeds. One win between them in their last three games.

#178 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 09:59 PM

given how we overpowered this league for 2/3 of the season, i think many of us thought that once the league was won we'd relax and smash teams, it hasn't happened that way at all and we've hit our bad run.
For me the most encouraging thing is that i think this team thrives on pressure and i can't say that about many town sides in recent years. we have had no challenger since the turn of the year. In the early part of the season Barnet were matching us and it pushed us on.
I recall many times this season going to games nervously looking at the opposition we were facing and thinking "these are in form, this will be tough", and we'd just over power them in a devastating spell. we also saw the team go 1 behind even 2 behind and that spurred them on to go to work. So as i say when the pressure has been on this team have thrived. The motivation and intensity has dropped for sure but for anyone getting gittery about next season just remember how easily and early we won this league, a league that is not easy to win, we will add to this squad i am sure and we'll be fine.

#179 User is offline   jonnythespireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 10:39 PM

View Postjack bauer, on 13 April 2024 - 09:59 PM, said:

given how we overpowered this league for 2/3 of the season, i think many of us thought that once the league was won we'd relax and smash teams, it hasn't happened that way at all and we've hit our bad run.
For me the most encouraging thing is that i think this team thrives on pressure and i can't say that about many town sides in recent years. we have had no challenger since the turn of the year. In the early part of the season Barnet were matching us and it pushed us on.
I recall many times this season going to games nervously looking at the opposition we were facing and thinking "these are in form, this will be tough", and we'd just over power them in a devastating spell. we also saw the team go 1 behind even 2 behind and that spurred them on to go to work. So as i say when the pressure has been on this team have thrived. The motivation and intensity has dropped for sure but for anyone getting gittery about next season just remember how easily and early we won this league, a league that is not easy to win, we will add to this squad i am sure and we'll be fine.

Bang on post. That will confuse the mouth breathers no end,

#180 User is offline   ArcticSpireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 10:56 PM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 13 April 2024 - 08:31 PM, said:

We wouldn’t have a club without the efforts of Phil Tooley and co. His commentary is fine. Yes, he’s on the ‘inside’ and has to play it accordingly sometimes, but the flip side of that is having a decent insight as to what is actually going on at the club.

I didn’t watch today as I’m abroad for the first time in years, but wow, what a privileged lot we are. I feel for those who travelled and were let down but the wider picture is rosier than it has been since Cook left first time around.

The last time I listened to it he was loudly sucking and giving historical lessons on fruit pastilles. Don't know the bloke or anything about him, he might be a nice fella but he's rather toilet to listen to. Our media commentary bloke isn't any better either, couldn't make a home game the other week so watched on NLTV and it was like he didn't even know the rules of football. Was constantly calling things completely wrong.
Happiness is like a cake. Have too much; and you get sick of it.

Share this topic:

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users