• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ebbsfleet Match Thread

#81 User is offline   Brookie 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:My Dad took me to my first game at Saltergate age 5, he never did say what I'd done wrong, been hooked ever since

Posted 10 February 2024 - 05:48 PM

Paid penalty for not taking chances in first half
They went gung-ho and it nearly paid off
Much as I like King I think he showed why he has not been first choice this season
I thought we were a bit narrow and Berry should have either started or come on earlier
Always easier with hindsight but 23 points in front in February, still unbeaten at home, unbelievable

#82 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 10 February 2024 - 05:50 PM

Forget the points record, just happy to get over the line
JRID

#83 User is offline   Zigsuk 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2024 - 05:52 PM

Disappointing we've only drawn but at least the unbeaten home record remains. Of course every point dropped moves the points record further out of reach.
However what is most disappointing of all is every point dropped provides a field day for the doom mongers. They don't seem to understand thst every team will have bad performances or drop points from time to time. It even happens to Man City. We have been well and truly spoiled this season and were due a draw. No Town team has ever gone unbeaten at home all season or had so many wins in my lifetime, but for some it's still not good enough. It will be wrist slashing time should, heaven forbid, we actually lose a game.
Truth is it seems they really enjoy it when we drop points.

This post has been edited by Zigsuk: 10 February 2024 - 05:52 PM

#84 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 10 February 2024 - 05:53 PM

Gateshead won today, so still in Trophy, is there another round to go before we due to play them?

This post has been edited by spireitetoo: 10 February 2024 - 05:53 PM

all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#85 User is offline   Piemuncher 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2024 - 05:53 PM

Jeff king did some good stuff in the first half but in the second half he was completely off it, a number of times he was well behind the play when they broke.

#86 User is offline   rodney 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2024 - 05:55 PM

View Postspireitetoo, on 10 February 2024 - 05:53 PM, said:

Gateshead won today, so still in Trophy, is there another round to go before we due to play them?

Yes , 9th March

#87 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 10 February 2024 - 05:57 PM

End of the world. 23 points clear and only 15 points dropped from 31 games. Rubbish
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#88 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

View PostTown_Fan, on 10 February 2024 - 05:24 PM, said:

How many games are being played on it? Is the revenue worth the damage from Sheff U reserves for example?

When was last time they played on it?
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#89 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 10 February 2024 - 05:40 PM, said:

4 extra games all season has not done that damage. As has been pointed out several times it's the awful weather we've had nothing more.

I blame James Rowe for training on it
JRID

#90 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 10 February 2024 - 05:58 PM

King deteriorated as the game went on. It might just be me, but I thought he started to look tired. But in the first half he looked to be back to his form he showed last season.
Too many players not quite at the races today but credit where credit is due Ebbsfleet played well and showed some real battling qualities.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#91 User is offline   Zigsuk 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2024 - 05:59 PM

View Postgordon_brittas, on 10 February 2024 - 04:55 PM, said:

Expect a defeat next Saturday at Bromley, this has been a warning what to expect. Second to everything in all departments.

You don't say? Knock me down with a kipper. Should we lose at Bromley and there's every possibility of losing any game, we would still be 20 points clear but I expect it will be time to call the Samaritans for you and Walton.

#92 User is offline   Doughnut 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2024 - 06:00 PM

Expect a defeat next Saturday at Bromley, this has been a warning what to expect. Second to everything in all departments.

You're embarrassing yourself... again.

To quote Anchorman:

'Why don't you stop talking for a while, maybe sit the next couple of plays out'

#93 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 10 February 2024 - 06:03 PM

View Postmetallilad, on 10 February 2024 - 05:58 PM, said:

King deteriorated as the game went on. It might just be me, but I thought he started to look tired. But in the first half he looked to be back to his form he showed last season.
Too many players not quite at the races today but credit where credit is due Ebbsfleet played well and showed some real battling qualities.

King was the same at Dagenham in the week, ineffective, today he just seemed to slow everything down even more than it was,..
Is it just me that thinks he's carrying a bit of extra timber as well?
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#94 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 10 February 2024 - 06:06 PM

Just think how happy that will make you. After all you have been so disappointed after all your previous predictions. You foolish little man
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#95 User is offline   Painted Wagon 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2024 - 06:13 PM

No need for an over reaction. Could be a blessing in disguise. Players now know opposition aren’t just going to roll over cos they’re playing Chesterfield. Felt sorry for King, he needed to show he was worthy of a starting place and it didn’t end up like that. Could have cost us near the end. He both dropped his head and lost it too. Credit where it’s due to Ebbsfleet tho, much quicker on the break than us and proved difficult to break down when all behind the ball

#96 User is offline   Osborne again 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2024 - 06:14 PM

View PostPiemuncher, on 10 February 2024 - 05:53 PM, said:

Jeff king did some good stuff in the first half but in the second half he was completely off it, a number of times he was well behind the play when they broke.

Yes he was taken out just outside the penalty box and he faded from the game after that. He wasn't the only one off it today, but credit due to Ebbsfleet, they battled hard and thoroughly deserved their point.

#97 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2024 - 06:20 PM

We'll win the league.

Random thoughts from today.

Decent things

Tyrer made a very good save that kept us in it. Our two CHs battled well with their forwards when the ball was in the air. King's attempt would have been an outstanding goal. Oldaker, Mandeville, Horton and Jacobs made themselves available to receive the ball fairly regularly. Dobra did so mostly. Mandeville hit the bar.

Not so great things

Too many players seemed to be unable or unwilling to track back, catch up or cover when we lost the ball. Naylor was particularly poor at doing so. King wasn't much better. If this is fitness or injury they shouldn't be starting. Other than those mentioned plus the back 4, too many players didn't show when we had the ball. Mandeville's corners were poor. No idea why he was waving his arms after each one. Seemed like others weren't getting to the back post. He needed to sort it out after the first one.

The officials were as bad as we're used to. That said, players getting themselves cards for dissent isn't acceptable. Their second looked off from where I sat but I couldn't be sure. It looked like a handball by their lad when the ball came into the box. Again, I can't be sure.

We've had a few games like today but we have had the rub of the green and our better squad and finishing has won it for us. We didn't have the rub of the green today, we didn't do well enough across the squad and we got what we just about deserved

#98 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC,Travel,Real Ale,Music

Posted 10 February 2024 - 06:21 PM

Probably get a lot of knock backs as when I have previously made the comment,but IMO their first goal was down to Dobra losing the ball in a position which he does quite often and put us under pressure, obviously no one that made the half hearted challenges between then and the ball being in the back of the net covered themselves in glory.
Far prefer Clements to Horton,and choosing King over Sheckleford?Nah!!!
Far too many 4-5/10's today, Williams,Grimes,Grigg,DJ probably the ones at 7's.
Would like to hear theories from people that understand modern tactics (in my day whoever was best in a position,or if their Dad was manager got the shirt) as to why we have now played a good six games at mediocre performance levels in general after so many good performances.
Also I would suggest far too much ball watching today,and the amount of times DJ had the ball in the centre circle and was stood trying to spot an outlet was probably sending Cookie off on one.
Once again we need to congratulate our opponents on sticking with their game plan which nearly paid off for them,and say they deserved a point,if not more,we tried our best to help them obviously but they took full advantage.
Hopefully this was just a wake up call COYB

#99 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 10 February 2024 - 06:21 PM

View Postspireitetoo, on 10 February 2024 - 06:03 PM, said:

King was the same at Dagenham in the week, ineffective, today he just seemed to slow everything down even more than it was,..
Is it just me that thinks he's carrying a bit of extra timber as well?

Everybody struggled against a packed defence that weren’t going to break ranks to chase the ball. They held a very tight offside line and said go round the side. We left our shooting boots in the changing room.
God I hate this league.

#100 User is offline   rodney 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2024 - 06:26 PM

View PostHaslandBlue58, on 10 February 2024 - 06:21 PM, said:

Probably get a lot of knock backs as when I have previously made the comment,but IMO their first goal was down to Dobra losing the ball in a position which he does quite often and put us under pressure, obviously no one that made the half hearted challenges between then and the ball being in the back of the net covered themselves in glory.
Far prefer Clements to Horton,and choosing King over Sheckleford?Nah!!!
Far too many 4-5/10's today, Williams,Grimes,Grigg,DJ probably the ones at 7's.
Would like to hear theories from people that understand modern tactics (in my day whoever was best in a position,or if their Dad was manager got the shirt) as to why we have now played a good six games at mediocre performance levels in general after so many good performances.
Also I would suggest far too much ball watching today,and the amount of times DJ had the ball in the centre circle and was stood trying to spot an outlet was probably sending Cookie off on one.
Once again we need to congratulate our opponents on sticking with their game plan which nearly paid off for them,and say they deserved a point,if not more,we tried our best to help them obviously but they took full advantage.
Hopefully this was just a wake up call COYB

100% down to Dobra not releasing the ball. He still has a lot to learn if he wants to play at a higher level. Which I believe he could do.
I also agree on preferring Clements to Horton.
All that said a well earned point mainly thanks Grimes and Tyrer.

Share this topic:

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users