League 2

#21 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:CFC,Travel,Real Ale,Music

Posted 28 January 2024 - 08:34 PM

Retfordspireite, on 28 January 2024 - 02:09 PM, said:

From what I’ve seen this season he’s not good for league 1 and above just yet. He’s not commanding of his area enough and distribution isn’t up to that standard. Personally I think boot beats him in both them quality's and would be a worthy replacement if he doesn’t sign next season.

If the option is there and we take it where does that leave Boot?I may have missed it but I don't remember seeing any extension offer on his current contract,and would he be content to be second choice for another season?I personally think he is too good for that.

#22 User is online   Mac's Back 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 January 2024 - 08:59 PM

HaslandBlue58, on 28 January 2024 - 08:34 PM, said:

If the option is there and we take it where does that leave Boot?I may have missed it but I don't remember seeing any extension offer on his current contract,and would he be content to be second choice for another season?I personally think he is too good for that.

We have 2 excellent options for each position, can't see why goalkeeper should be any different...
We're on our way

#23 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2024 - 09:03 PM

Tyrer is going to be some goalkeeper in a few years time, but he isn't there yet. I'd love to see him here next season along with Boot. We don't want to be in a pickle looking for a stand in, if we're going with one of them and Chadwick.

#24 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2024 - 09:05 PM

Given its 7 subs in the EFL, I would imagine then cookie will start a name a keeper on the bench.

Whether Boot is offered a new deal, and then accepts it being prepared to play second fiddle is another matter.

I would think at his age he’d be wanting to play regularly.

#25 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 28 January 2024 - 09:10 PM

Sammy Spireite, on 28 January 2024 - 09:05 PM, said:

Given its 7 subs in the EFL, I would imagine then cookie will start a name a keeper on the bench.

Whether Boot is offered a new deal, and then accepts it being prepared to play second fiddle is another matter.

I would think at his age he’d be wanting to play regularly.

Assuming Tyrer is here next year?
East stand second class citizen.

#26 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2024 - 09:22 PM

Quaker, on 28 January 2024 - 03:46 PM, said:

So you don’t think our strike force are up to it.

My thoughts about our strike force is that Grigg and Quigley complement each other in that they have different attributes.

However, as we will be allowed more players on the bench in L2 I feel it would benefit us to have a third striker who is different to the other two. One with strength and pace would be a useful addition. Yesterday, the long balls forward from Tyrer showed up our lack of pace at times and this can be useful in breakaways when defending deeply.

Any other signings will surely depend on who leaves at the end of the season. We still have a number of players whose contacts expire at the end of this season. It’s quite possible that some of them will be offered the chance to extend their contracts but not all. Then, I would expect Cook to be looking for upgrades in the positions vacated with a possible emphasis on reducing the average age of the squad.

#27 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 28 January 2024 - 09:57 PM

Holmesc1, on 28 January 2024 - 05:34 PM, said:

That something to so with financial fair play rules?

Not that you should be worried about that, your team isn't going to need to abide by them any time soon!
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#28 User is offline   Jonno 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2024 - 11:13 PM

dtp, on 28 January 2024 - 09:22 PM, said:

My thoughts about our strike force is that Grigg and Quigley complement each other in that they have different attributes.

However, as we will be allowed more players on the bench in L2 I feel it would benefit us to have a third striker who is different to the other two. One with strength and pace would be a useful addition. Yesterday, the long balls forward from Tyrer showed up our lack of pace at times and this can be useful in breakaways when defending deeply.

Any other signings will surely depend on who leaves at the end of the season. We still have a number of players whose contacts expire at the end of this season. It’s quite possible that some of them will be offered the chance to extend their contracts but not all. Then, I would expect Cook to be looking for upgrades in the positions vacated with a possible emphasis on reducing the average age of the squad.

Personally, I can see us signing Dallas next year. Let’s face ut, we’re in the driving seat on that one - if he looks good for Oldham, we offer him a step up, if he doesn’t click, steer clear! I would t have him in ahead of Grig but he’s some option at L2 level

#29 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2024 - 08:55 AM

Mr Mercury, on 28 January 2024 - 09:10 PM, said:

Assuming Tyrer is here next year?

Assuming either Tyrer is here or if not we sign a decent proven league keeper.

I don’t see PC going in to L2 with Boot as his number 1, decent as he is I don’t think he’s the sweeper-keeper Cookie favours.

#30 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 January 2024 - 04:01 PM

Johnnyspireite7, on 28 January 2024 - 09:57 PM, said:

Not that you should be worried about that, your team isn't going to need to abide by them any time soon!

I wont be and whilst i doubt gateshead will go up, mathematically its not impossible

#31 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 30 January 2024 - 04:08 PM

Sammy Spireite, on 29 January 2024 - 08:55 AM, said:

Assuming either Tyrer is here or if not we sign a decent proven league keeper.

I don’t see PC going in to L2 with Boot as his number 1, decent as he is I don’t think he’s the sweeper-keeper Cookie favours.

As an aside, Wrexham’s Arsenal loanee keeper hardly looked up to the job, going on what we saw last night.

#32 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 January 2024 - 04:15 PM

60s 70s Spireite, on 30 January 2024 - 04:08 PM, said:

As an aside, Wrexham’s Arsenal loanee keeper hardly looked up to the job, going on what we saw last night.

Wow I didnt realise he was on loan from Arsenal

I assume then he has just been playing U23 league football and if so welcome to the big league lol

#33 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC,Travel,Real Ale,Music

Posted 30 January 2024 - 05:02 PM

whittman, on 30 January 2024 - 04:15 PM, said:

Wow I didnt realise he was on loan from Arsenal

I assume then he has just been playing U23 league football and if so welcome to the big league lol

On the subject of goalkeepers Al,is the fist pump with Tyrer pre-kick off part of your pre-match preparations now,or is it because of the run we have had you dare not not do it now?LOL

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users