• You cannot reply to this topic

Oldham Reation.

#41 User is offline   Walton Spireite 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 August 2023 - 05:17 PM

Ernie Ernie Ernie, on 19 August 2023 - 05:09 PM, said:

He did what good strikers do, occupied the defenders, made the runs and waited for the service. He got one chance and fluffed it.
Easy to blame the striker but we don’t play to him our other attacking players hold on to the ball when they could release him much earlier. Obviously it’s difficult for you when you are looking for a negative in everything to understand.
Probably the first game of the season you have been happy now that you will be able to act the complete rse and start multiple threads.

How many threads

#42 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2023 - 06:14 PM

60s 70s Spireite, on 19 August 2023 - 03:19 PM, said:

Fact is it was, in terms of goals, dead ball and direct have a shot football 2 - try to pass and weave around opponents 0.
When faced with a two tier block like we did today, I struggle to understand why, when we have headers of a ball like Palmer, Grimes, Williams, Naylor and latterly Quigley, free kicks well into their half are passed sideways to have another go at passing through them.
Rather than put directly into the box.
That’s not taking anything away from our ethos, but our penalty box entries were few and far between today.

Well to start with, King has got to be reinstated. Tough on an improving Sheckleford, but he's got no goals or assists I don't think.

And secondly, the Banks or Oldaker debate. Although Banks has been caught in possession a few times this season, he'd still be my pick.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#43 User is offline   martatcross 

• Legend

Posted 19 August 2023 - 06:20 PM

warfey is a spireite, on 19 August 2023 - 02:11 PM, said:

Was it a fat lad with white shirt on looked like on tv

Yes Dave
Can't salute yer can't find a flag if that don't suit yer that's a drag

#44 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 19 August 2023 - 06:21 PM

PontePete, on 19 August 2023 - 02:29 PM, said:

Oh no, you’re going to start talking about Ashley Billyeald’s dreadlocks in a minute aren’t you?

Perhaps!
Why do always support him and his behaviour?
Are you his mum?

#45 User is offline   martatcross 

• Legend

Posted 19 August 2023 - 06:22 PM

warfey is a spireite, on 19 August 2023 - 02:53 PM, said:

Disappointed with grigg if I'm honest ,

They don't give him the ball . How can he score when he doesn't get the ball
Can't salute yer can't find a flag if that don't suit yer that's a drag

#46 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2023 - 06:25 PM

dim view, on 19 August 2023 - 06:14 PM, said:

Well to start with, King has got to be reinstated. Tough on an improving Sheckleford, but he's got no goals or assists I don't think.

And secondly, the Banks or Oldaker debate. Although Banks has been caught in possession a few times this season, he'd still be my pick.

I thought Oldaker played quite well but failed to pick forward through passes when the opportunity arose. Whether or not Banks would have threaded any through I don't know but certainly he might have played more Hollywood balls.

Basically, no player played particularly badly but no player stretched their defence sufficiently. Our slowly, slowly, sideways, backwards, indirect, repetitive possession without any change in direction or pace played right into their hands. It was no surprise at all that we only scored directly from a dead-ball situation. We were so slow in our build up that their back nine could virtually stand still to repel our advances.

#47 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 19 August 2023 - 06:29 PM

Walton Spireite, on 19 August 2023 - 04:26 PM, said:

So go on then explain what Grigg did exactly for 80 minutes.

He did what good strikers do, occupied the defenders, made the runs and waited for the service. He got one chance and fluffed it.
Easy to blame the striker but we don’t play to him our other attacking players hold on to the ball when they could release him much earlier. Obviously it’s difficult for you when you are looking for a negative in everything to understand.
Probably the first game of the season you have been happy now that you will be able to act the complete rse and start multiple threads.

#48 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 19 August 2023 - 06:45 PM

martatcross, on 19 August 2023 - 06:22 PM, said:

Exactly.
Saw him make numerous moves and runs and yet we chose to pass sideways instead of pushing/passing forward

#49 User is offline   RikShaw 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2023 - 06:50 PM

If you don't have any matches, you'll never be able to light a fag will you? And today, nobody offered Grigg any matches did they?

#50 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 19 August 2023 - 06:57 PM

He needs a service up front,knock downs etc

He needs a service up front,knock downs etc

#51 User is offline   1978blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield Fc , Football in general . Music-Oasis , Queen and Pink Floyd. My Family and gardening.

Posted 19 August 2023 - 07:12 PM

AGlassHalfFull, on 19 August 2023 - 06:50 PM, said:

If you don't have any matches, you'll never be able to light a fag will you? And today, nobody offered Grigg any matches did they?

Yes Colclough did but Grigg fluffed his lines.

#52 User is offline   RikShaw 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2023 - 07:31 PM

1978blue, on 19 August 2023 - 07:12 PM, said:

Yes Colclough did but Grigg fluffed his lines.

Grigg received only one pass in the box……

#53 User is offline   LondonBlue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2023 - 07:35 PM

Never got any service today. One chance where he tried to take an extra touch. Needs more chances than created today warf.

#54 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 19 August 2023 - 07:35 PM

Walton Spireite, on 19 August 2023 - 02:56 PM, said:

He fluffed a big chance. Other than that offered nothing of note. Very worrying on a 3 year deal. Quigley did more when he came on.

He was in space countless times but none of our lads saw what a good position he was in. Not Grigg’s fault he dorm’s get the right sort of service.

And of course you don’t see these views from the East/west stands.
God I hate this league.

#55 Guest_Quaker_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 19 August 2023 - 07:36 PM

dim view, on 19 August 2023 - 06:14 PM, said:

I thought Sheckleford looked very nervous today. He’s very reluctant to take players on and he received a few harsh words from Naylor and Colclough a couple of times. If he can grow in confidence he’ll be ok but I would sit him out for the Alty game and bring King in.

#56 User is offline   smiffy 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Saturday afternoons and Tuesday nights, also, racing caravans backwards !!!given that up now ,got bored.

Posted 19 August 2023 - 07:39 PM

martatcross, on 19 August 2023 - 06:22 PM, said:

That’s up to Cooky to tell the players to give him the ball! Why is Grigg in the side if Cooky is not going to play to his strengths ? The way we’re playing it’s like playing with 10 men. Be better off with Quigs and his work rate instead.

#57 User is offline   Mr_Pleasant 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2023 - 07:41 PM

Quaker, on 19 August 2023 - 07:36 PM, said:

I thought Sheckleford looked very nervous today. He’s very reluctant to take players on and he received a few harsh words from Naylor and Colclough a couple of times. If he can grow in confidence he’ll be ok but I would sit him out for the Alty game and bring King in.

He really did. Their left back is very good, was last season too, and I had no real confidence in Shecks defensively. And as he isn't a patch on King going forward, I can't see him staying in place for too long (though if he has a hamstring injury that might be taken care of anyway).

#58 User is offline   Cum on u blues 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2023 - 07:43 PM

Getting a bit bored with the post-match interviews. Although I like the bloke DW trots out the same AI answers each week.

When are we going to see the manager and coaching staff actively urge forward passes in the last 3rd which hurt the opposition rather than allow them to regroup and man-mark? What’s wrong with 1-2’s to Grigg’s feet or a ball thumped in on the deck where he can use it (the only one in the game he fluffed yes, but the more chances like the one he had, the more he’s likely to convert them) or even a first-time cross now and again by whoever receives it on the wing ? The players are more than capable but seem reluctant to have a go at times. Our failure to produce next to no chances in the game just shows up our tactical weakness imo despite everyone having a go at today’s opposition manager’s lack of ability.
At the time I mistakenly thought it was a good tactical decision to sub Shecks at halftime as we were really vulnerable down this wing with some decent crosses put in but it turns out he got injured…
As for the rest I get the impression Colclough is suffering and this is affecting his performance, Berry should have started after showing a lot of the positive forward play we’re crying out for (hopefully this won’t be coached out of him), Tyrer is a very good keeper but the knives are already out on here, our defence was flattered overall by a poor opposition and our own inability to attack today hence JG was MOM despite all our dominance and the jury is out for DJ imo, my last choice to boss the midfield. Jones & Naylor would allow the latter to get forward a bit more on set-pieces but keep us solid, Surely a manager is capable of seeing where the adjustments are needed, in particular to stop the opposition scoring and create a minimum to win the game. Ok we’ve only played a few games but so far I haven’t seen much change in our formation or system to stop the rot. If we carry on like this we’ll be in the same position as last year - teams will have already set up their tactics work before the whistle is blown
I don’t claim to be an expert, far from it, but I share a lot of the minority views on here to question the management’s decision-making, before and during a game. Just hope it changes that’s all

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users