• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Fluid Front Four

#1 User is offline   Zigsuk 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 01 April 2023 - 08:22 PM

In the play off semi against Preston Cook employed what the tv commentators called a fluid front four with Roberts, O Shea, Gardiner and Clucas constantly interchanging. Okay we didn't score but some of the football that night was brilliant and we were by far the better team in the first leg.
A similar formation with Dallas, Colclough, Dobra and Mandy sounds very exciting - at least on paper. They could be supported by King (although he will have to return to his early season form) and have Jess in reserve. Okay it might not work. But having Quigs or McCullam contributing sweet FA and virtually being passengers in every game hasn't worked so far.

#2 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 01 April 2023 - 08:32 PM

You're getting boring now and are heading very close to being in Walton territory for starting needless threads and nearly every post saying the same thing over and over again. OK you don't like Quigley or McCallum, we get it. Give it a rest please.
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#3 User is offline   Zigsuk 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2023 - 08:44 PM

I am offering suggestions to achieve success. Apologies if you don’t want success and are happy to stick with Neanderthal tactics that don’t work.

#4 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 01 April 2023 - 08:46 PM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 01 April 2023 - 08:32 PM, said:

You're getting boring now and are heading very close to being in Walton territory for starting needless threads and nearly every post saying the same thing over and over again. OK you don't like Quigley or McCallum, we get it. Give it a rest please.

Well it started off OK as that was the four I think Cook was hinting at in his after match interview, however it did degenerate into the normal Quiggers/Macca bash-fest.
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#5 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 01 April 2023 - 08:48 PM

View PostZigsuk, on 01 April 2023 - 08:44 PM, said:

I am offering suggestions to achieve success. Apologies if you don’t want success and are happy to stick with Neanderthal tactics that don’t work.

I wouldn’t characterise a Cook side with a big bloke up front as Neanderthal tactics - that is a bit daft. Think you are overplaying your hand there.

This post has been edited by azul: 01 April 2023 - 08:51 PM

Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#6 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 01 April 2023 - 09:28 PM

That'll be the tactics where we play loads of pretty triangles in midfield before losing the ball or crossing it to the 'keeper. What we don't do is provide decent Neanderthal style crosses to a big striker to score goals, but who wants to watch that old rubbish. Leave it to the likes of Wrexham - it'll never work in this day and age.

This post has been edited by h again: 01 April 2023 - 09:34 PM

#7 User is offline   Zigsuk 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2023 - 01:17 AM

View Posth again, on 01 April 2023 - 09:28 PM, said:

That'll be the tactics where we play loads of pretty triangles in midfield before losing the ball or crossing it to the 'keeper. What we don't do is provide decent Neanderthal style crosses to a big striker to score goals, but who wants to watch that old rubbish. Leave it to the likes of Wrexham - it'll never work in this day and age.

One problem. Our pair of big strikers don't score goals.

#8 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:29 AM

View PostZigsuk, on 02 April 2023 - 01:17 AM, said:

The system though no matter who plays has given us a royal chance of a home play off chance.
God I hate this league.

#9 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 02 April 2023 - 07:15 AM

Our play is too slow. I heard on the stream the unmistakable accent of cook shouting to players “be patient”.

While I’d say yes, be patient and don’t get frustrated - we also need to inject some pace/urgency in our play.

We let sides like Maidenhead time to get organised and in position and then it’s difficult to breakdown. Sides like Maidenhead make the most of the limited resources by being exactly that. Organised, disciplined positionally. We played to their strengths today and that’s why we created very few chances.
A new hope.

#10 User is offline   1982Spireite 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2023 - 08:18 AM

View PostZigsuk, on 01 April 2023 - 08:22 PM, said:

In the play off semi against Preston Cook employed what the tv commentators called a fluid front four with Roberts, O Shea, Gardiner and Clucas constantly interchanging. Okay we didn't score but some of the football that night was brilliant and we were by far the better team in the first leg.
A similar formation with Dallas, Colclough, Dobra and Mandy sounds very exciting - at least on paper. They could be supported by King (although he will have to return to his early season form) and have Jess in reserve. Okay it might not work. But having Quigs or McCullam contributing sweet FA and virtually being passengers in every game hasn't worked so far.

Tell me, what is the difference between the first half at Preston as you say and yesterday. We played good football and dominated the game yesterday, but the final balls were poor (prob due to the fact we’re 2 divisions lower and therefore quality of footballer is lower). No matter who is the 1 up too, if the ball in is pants then what can they do? Honestly, some people just like to moan for loaning a sake.

#11 User is offline   ronpowellsbutler 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Irony

Posted 02 April 2023 - 08:44 AM

View PostWooden Spoon, on 02 April 2023 - 07:15 AM, said:

Our play is too slow. I heard on the stream the unmistakable accent of cook shouting to players “be patient”.

While I’d say yes, be patient and don’t get frustrated - we also need to inject some pace/urgency in our play.

We let sides like Maidenhead time to get organised and in position and then it’s difficult to breakdown. Sides like Maidenhead make the most of the limited resources by being exactly that. Organised, disciplined positionally. We played to their strengths today and that’s why we created very few chances.

I was standing next to the dugout and thought he was shouting at the ref.

#12 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2023 - 09:29 AM

I tend to think we don't vary our approach much throughout a game. The style and game plan we start with is the style and game plan we finish with. There's no doubt this has brought us a level of success this season but, similarly, it has brought us a level of disappointment. There was a time when a top 3 finish looked nailed on now it looks like going down to the wire. There are arguments both ways but even when we are desperate for a goal we never resort to Alamo type tactics and throw everything but the kitchen sink at getting quick crosses in to the big lads including CBs. We might have totally outplayed Woking, for instance, but they penned us in at the end of the first half with such tactics. We survived that onslaught but only won with a penalty we wouldn't have got on average throughout the season despite our better play.

Deep down, we have to accept that Cook will be Cook, we will not be scoring 3 and 4 against teams week in and week out, and whilst opposition teams have found ways of frustrating us by sitting back and letting us have the ball they have basically failed to stop Wrexham and County with the same regularity. There has to be a reason for their consistency in scoring goals and winning games. They have totally contrasting styles of play too but teams have found it difficult to shut up shop against either of them. There's an argument that says they have strikers that take their chances but equally chances have to be created before they can get converted.

Nevertheless, our performances against both the top two give me hope that we can beat either in a play-off final but my concern is that those that finish below us are capable of frustrating us in any home play-off game and nicking a goal whilst looking to beat us on penalties.

#13 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 02 April 2023 - 09:51 AM

lindave

#14 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 02 April 2023 - 09:55 AM

Our approach play is much too slow we were the better side but hardly looked dangerous. The defenders were given far to much time to regroup. The 2 big men aren't doing much hope Dobra comes in to link up with Dallas and Colclough. It was a good point against a tough side they drew with Wrexham 2.2 the other week. We must win our 4 home games to get 3rd place and a couple of pts in the 2 away would help.
lindave

#15 User is offline   Snowflake McBedwetter 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2023 - 10:12 AM

Are you trying to say you don't rate Quigs?

#16 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 02 April 2023 - 11:27 AM

Put your CV up against Cookies.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#17 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2023 - 12:04 PM

View Postlindave, on 02 April 2023 - 09:55 AM, said:

Our approach play is much too slow we were the better side but hardly looked dangerous. The defenders were given far to much time to regroup. The 2 big men aren't doing much hope Dobra comes in to link up with Dallas and Colclough. It was a good point against a tough side they drew with Wrexham 2.2 the other week. We must win our 4 home games to get 3rd place and a couple of pts in the 2 away would help.

That is a big ask, as our home form has been questionable.

#18 User is online   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 02 April 2023 - 12:16 PM

View PostZigsuk, on 02 April 2023 - 01:17 AM, said:

Tom Denton would have buried. Chances that we miss even now

#19 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 02 April 2023 - 12:48 PM

I completely agree with opening poster and i could not care less who are manager is,quigley and mccallum are not good enough,mccallum has come in and is supposed to be a better version of quigley,but when i have seen him ,he isnt great at holding the ball up,is not powerful in the air and lacks any pace, whoever pinpointed him as a man for that role made a mistake.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#20 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 02 April 2023 - 02:24 PM

View Postlindave, on 02 April 2023 - 09:55 AM, said:

Dallas and Colclough have improved our attacking play, how you question pace on the pudding of a pitch is difficult fathom. A bit of composure would have seem a different outcome. I’m waiting for the better weather/surfaces to see Dallas be more incisive.
God I hate this league.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users