• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

India Tour

#121 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:51 AM

Straight balls become quite effective when other ones are turning straight to slip on day 2!

#122 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:29 AM

View Postclarevoyant., on 25 February 2021 - 10:32 PM, said:

Give over.

2 of the best 4 sides in the world at the moment and they lose 30 wickets in 5 1/2 sessions, that world class bowler Joe Root takes 5 for 8 and folk still try to avoid stating the pitch was the key factor.

Yes players got out to the straight balls, but when a batsman as no confidence in the pitch (and who could) it becomes a gamble of do you or do you not play for spin and as in all gambles you lose out eventually

No doubt the excess lacquer and protruding seam would have caused problems early on, but with all the coaches, technology and ability available you would expect this to be countered after 30 overs or so.

Joe Root was probably being 'extremely' diplomatic in his suggestion that the ball was the root cause of the wicket feste. It was implied earlier in the thread that in India you tend to accept your lot!!!. This will help sell tourist packages the next time we are misfortunate enough to be scheduled to play there, nobodies that barmy.

Are people missing an opportunity here by not blaming the ball? As far as I know the SG is only used in India and that is where it is manufactured! So maybe not so diplomatic by Root
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#123 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:48 AM

View Postazul, on 26 February 2021 - 09:29 AM, said:

Are people missing an opportunity here by not blaming the ball? As far as I know the SG is only used in India and that is where it is manufactured! So maybe not so diplomatic by Root

Kohli slated it after they lost the first test, apparently the red one was a newly developed ball meant to have more of a seam and last longer but i think after about 50 overs it looked like it had been chewed by a dog!

#124 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:57 AM

View PostJonB, on 26 February 2021 - 09:48 AM, said:

Kohli slated it after they lost the first test, apparently the red one was a newly developed ball meant to have more of a seam and last longer but i think after about 50 overs it looked like it had been chewed by a dog!

They were showing a pink ball on TV coverage. I think it was a fifty over ball, looked a bit scruffy but the seam was still very hard and pronounced.

Perhaps they would’ve been better showing a 25 over ball

This post has been edited by azul: 26 February 2021 - 09:59 AM

#125 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:15 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 25 February 2021 - 10:32 PM, said:

Give over.

2 of the best 4 sides in the world at the moment and they lose 30 wickets in 5 1/2 sessions, that world class bowler Joe Root takes 5 for 8 and folk still try to avoid stating the pitch was the key factor.

Yes players got out to the straight balls, but when a batsman as no confidence in the pitch (and who could) it becomes a gamble of do you or do you not play for spin and as in all gambles you lose out eventually

No doubt the excess lacquer and protruding seam would have caused problems early on, but with all the coaches, technology and ability available you would expect this to be countered after 30 overs or so.

Joe Root was probably being 'extremely' diplomatic in his suggestion that the ball was the root cause of the wicket feste. It was implied earlier in the thread that in India you tend to accept your lot!!!. This will help sell tourist packages the next time we are misfortunate enough to be scheduled to play there, nobodies that barmy.

Some of the balls that got top class batsman out were exactly the sort that 60 year old men sling down on wet wickets in local league cricket.

#126 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 26 February 2021 - 05:08 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 26 February 2021 - 04:15 PM, said:

Some of the balls that got top class batsman out were exactly the sort that 60 year old men sling down on wet wickets in local league cricket.

Nobody I heard said that pitch was bad until halfway through India’s collapse. At the start of the day they were even saying, keep India to 150 lead and we have a chance.

That was no 2nd test pitch, just awful batting. Two poor batting lineups (with one or two exceptions), with long tails who aren’t prepared to persevere unless the track is flat as a pancake.

#127 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 26 February 2021 - 06:20 PM

View Postazul, on 26 February 2021 - 05:08 PM, said:

Nobody I heard said that pitch was bad until halfway through India’s collapse. At the start of the day they were even saying, keep India to 150 lead and we have a chance.

That was no 2nd test pitch, just awful batting. Two poor batting lineups (with one or two exceptions), with long tails who aren’t prepared to persevere unless the track is flat as a pancake.

Yep because all test tracks should crumble under the feet of fast bowlers on day two to the point it’s dangerous and effectively takes them out of the game. It was basically a day 4 or 5 pitch from the start. A part time spinner took 5 wickets in no time turning it square on day two. We’re not the first team to go to India and end up on **** tips like this.

India have always been quick to prepare tracks like this claiming to be using home advantage then the moment they come to England or NZ can’t wait to whine about a track that seams about a bit. Throw in some ropey home umpiring as well and it’s no wonder they do so well at home.

This post has been edited by JonB: 26 February 2021 - 06:23 PM

#128 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:09 PM

View PostJonB, on 26 February 2021 - 06:20 PM, said:

Yep because all test tracks should crumble under the feet of fast bowlers on day two to the point it’s dangerous and effectively takes them out of the game. It was basically a day 4 or 5 pitch from the start. A part time spinner took 5 wickets in no time turning it square on day two. We’re not the first team to go to India and end up on **** tips like this.

India have always been quick to prepare tracks like this claiming to be using home advantage then the moment they come to England or NZ can’t wait to whine about a track that seams about a bit. Throw in some ropey home umpiring as well and it’s no wonder they do so well at home.

The pitch didn’t crumble at any point - it didn't have time because of the inept batting

Incidentally India won in Australia didn’t they? Don’t know what pitch conditions were but generally they are flat, sometimes quick and the play with a ball that has no seam and develops sponge like characteristics after a while.

Don’t worry, we’ll turn them over when we get them back to Blighty on our special wickets with our special ball

#129 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:37 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 26 February 2021 - 04:15 PM, said:

You played on Walton Dam to much

View Postazul, on 26 February 2021 - 08:09 PM, said:

The pitch didn’t crumble at any point - it didn't have time because of the inept batting

Incidentally India won in Australia didn’t they? Don’t know what pitch conditions were but generally they are flat, sometimes quick and the play with a ball that has no seam and develops sponge like characteristics after a while.

Don’t worry, we’ll turn them over when we get them back to Blighty on our special wickets with our special ball

Are you morphing into the CPS of the cricket thread? 😅
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#130 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:47 PM

View Postazul, on 26 February 2021 - 08:09 PM, said:

It was crumbling from the start...just didn’t get time to get loads worse. Day one and the pitch was collapsing under the seam bowlers feet. They are a good side, you have to be to win in Oz, but they have struggled on other trips abroad.

#131 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:30 AM

View Postclarevoyant., on 26 February 2021 - 08:37 PM, said:

You played on Walton Dam to much

Are you morphing into the CPS of the cricket thread? 😅

Keep your petty spiteful remarks to yourself

#132 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:32 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 27 February 2021 - 07:30 AM, said:

Keep your petty spiteful remarks to yourself

Perhaps you should change 'petty spiteful' to bitter. Bitter because you have this nauseating habit of making bold 'in the know' statements and when questioned on their authenticity you tend to disappear from the thread without justification to your point leaving the impression of talking bull...

So can you provide evidence that ashmore has a 'history of mental health issues' as you stated, otherwise can we assume it was a crass statement seeking sensationalism akin to ashmore playing the racist cards?

If You provide verifiable evidence to support your claim I will openly apologise, (not a town hall steps job though) on here.

Pity I've had to thread hop due to your avoidance.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

#133 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:10 PM

Its little wonder that Channel 4 managed to get the live TV rights for a cut price £7 million when apparently the Indian Cricket Board wanted £20 million at the start of negotiations

They have been short changed even at that price given that they now have to find fill in programmes for the last 3 days of this last test

I cannot see the next test being much different either lol

#134 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 05 March 2021 - 09:58 AM

Can some marketing guru get Persil to sponsor Dom Best, has there ever been a more scruffy cricketer?
And scruffy doesn't even describe his bowling!!
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

#135 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:15 AM

View Postclarevoyant., on 05 March 2021 - 09:58 AM, said:

And scruffy doesn't even describe his bowling!!

I feel for him a bit on the bowling front, he has been a bit inconsistent but this tour in particular he has been in and out and hasnt bowled a lot. This off the back of not much cricket last season either. Bowling consistently is always hard work if you arent bowling on a regular basis.

#136 User is offline   HoneyTrippa 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2021 - 10:41 AM

Just watched the 1st T20 Game. What do they do with the Car that's paraded on a pedestal at the game. In Golf there is always one on offer for a "Hole in One" on the par 3's. Is this just for show ? as an advertisement or is it for MoM or a Fifer !!!
There aint no Soul left in these old shoes... since you've been gone

#137 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 13 March 2021 - 10:47 AM

View PostHoneyTrippa, on 13 March 2021 - 10:41 AM, said:

Just watched the 1st T20 Game. What do they do with the Car that's paraded on a pedestal at the game. In Golf there is always one on offer for a "Hole in One" on the par 3's. Is this just for show ? as an advertisement or is it for MoM or a Fifer !!!

If it's anything like the IPL it's usually a crowd prize for a clean catch off a 6.
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#138 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 14 March 2021 - 01:59 PM

Had that been Kohli instead of Butler there isn’t a chance in the world the umpire would have shoved his finger up!

#139 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 14 March 2021 - 04:57 PM

View PostJonB, on 14 March 2021 - 01:59 PM, said:

Had that been Kohli instead of Butler there isn’t a chance in the world the umpire would have shoved his finger up!

Yes and confirmed by the tv umpire on what should have been a stumping. It's a matter of fact there is something grounded behind the line or isn't, unless its kohli
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

#140 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 14 March 2021 - 05:36 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 14 March 2021 - 04:57 PM, said:

Yes and confirmed by the tv umpire on what should have been a stumping. It's a matter of fact there is something grounded behind the line or isn't, unless its kohli

Basically that was cheating!
East stand second class citizen.

Share this topic:

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users