• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Orient

#21 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:28 AM

I can't make the game, as I've got relatives visiting here (from London ironically). At first glance, looking at the table and current form, we would be expected to go down there and win, no problem. BUT ( I don't usually do 'buts', but there is one this time), a closer look isn't so encouraging. Their low league placing and points total (less than half ours), is due largely to their away form; their home record of W2 D2 L2, is actually very similar to ours which is W3 D1 L2, and their home record is better than our away record. They in fact score a lot of goals at home, as only two teams have scored slightly more, and we've scored one less, but they do concede quite a few at home (second highest total). Now we can all see that our problem, with a full squad, is not scoring goals, but keeping them out, and it's a fact that we need to score at least 2 goals to have a chance of winning any game, so going there minus one of our best defenders, and without our leading scorer doesn't fill me with confidence. I hope I'm wrong, and at our best we are still capable of winning this one, but I have a feeling that we are going to pay for Caleb's immature lack of self control.

#22 User is offline   cornan 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:17 AM

I think you're reading too much into this - the 2 home games we won were the first 2 of the season (one was against Millwall - everyone beats Millwall - except Rotherham) Admittedly in the last game against Gillingham we came back from 3-0 down - but that only really papered over the cracks - we are very,very brittle at the back - if you've got any pace and/or strength up the front you will probably score. Haven't you got someone else suspended as well for Sat ?

#23 Guest_spireiteblue_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:25 AM

View Postcornan, on Oct 4 2006, 12:17 PM, said:

I think you're reading too much into this - the 2 home games we won were the first 2 of the season (one was against Millwall - everyone beats Millwall - except Rotherham) Admittedly in the last game against Gillingham we came back from 3-0 down - but that only really papered over the cracks - we are very,very brittle at the back - if you've got any pace and/or strength up the front you will probably score. Haven't you got someone else suspended as well for Sat ?

We have two players suspended and they are very influential to the team at the moment,Picken for picking up 5 bookings and Folan who was sent off on saturday,its a good job i don't play i wouldn't have sworn to that lino i'd have probably killed him :P

You have one missing too suspended so i suppose it will even itself out,I still think we can get a result but we will have to put our chances away if we get any,see you down there.

#24 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:00 PM

View Postcornan, on Oct 4 2006, 12:17 PM, said:

That's my main point, our one player with pace and strength is Folan who's got himself suspended. I'm not saying we haven't got anybody else who can score, because eight different players have scored for us, but as I've already said we need at least two goals to win a game because we just don't do 1-0 wins, and I'm not sure we can score two or more without Folan. It boils down to whether the forwards Roy picks are up to the job.

#25 User is offline   david_cfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Seeing the mighty Spireites obviously

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:34 PM

I bet that Peak make Orient out to be the hardest opponents ever, they always do! They never tell the truth like they are at the bottom we should be hammering these at least!

Although we will get potential banana skin crap, I think we should win easily!
Come On Spireites

#26 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:32 AM

View Postdavid_cfc, on Oct 4 2006, 04:34 PM, said:

I bet that Peak make Orient out to be the hardest opponents ever, they always do! They never tell the truth like they are at the bottom we should be hammering these at least!

I really hope you don't have to eat your words/bananas tonight. Orient have brought in winger Peter Till from Birmingham on loan; according to them he's a pacy winger, and although I always remain hopeful, remember we have no Picken at full back.

This post has been edited by sophocles: 06 October 2006 - 09:32 AM

#27 User is offline   Denny 

• First Team Player
  • Group: Admin

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:08 AM

View Postdavid_cfc, on Oct 4 2006, 04:34 PM, said:

Peak aside - I honestly think anyone can beat anyone in this league, bottom can beat top if they have a good game and the top team are over-confident.

Likewise, we are capable of beating any team, but, if you apply your logic of we should be hammering the lower teams, we should be expecting a hammering when we play the top teams??

I'd rather expect some effort from the team and hope we get our just rewards...

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users