• You cannot reply to this topic

You Are The Manager

#21 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:18 PM

View Postfiredodger, on 30 November 2015 - 01:06 PM, said:

I think that team would get dry gulched by all and sundry.

That's why I'm asking you good people for suggestions, you've all seen a lot more of them than me this year.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#22 User is offline   Dazspire 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Footie, movies, music and all sports

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:48 PM

We are seriously thin all over particularly full backs and defensive midfield but the key thing is to stop shedding goals and at least give ourselves a base until January

its time the senior Pros stood up and were counted with a sprinkling of youth. 3-4-3 for me

Lee

Raglan Hird Wood

Talbot Morsy Donohue Humphreys

Jayo SEB Mani

Subs Chapman, O'Neill, Evatt, Simons, Gboly, Gardner, Banks
Once a blue always a blue, still a dreamer!!!!!

#23 User is offline   azul 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:49 PM

View PostPhil V 72, on 30 November 2015 - 11:56 AM, said:

Agreed, back to 1 up top but I don't think Ebanks-Blake is the sort to want to 'run all day' - The closest we have is probably Simons or Mani but it's putting so much on young shoulders who aren't really ready.

I think I'd go something like

Lee

Talbot - Evatt - Raglan - Humphreys
Hird
Gbolly - Morsy - Banks
O'Shea
Mani (Or Simons)

It's really difficult - I've already changed my mind twice since I wrote this down

You said you wanted a high tempo pressing game. Out of those forwards who'll be doing the pressing, Mani I suppose, he'll press so hard he'll be sent off in 10 minutes
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#24 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:57 PM

View PostDazspire, on 30 November 2015 - 01:48 PM, said:

We are seriously thin all over particularly full backs and defensive midfield but the key thing is to stop shedding goals and at least give ourselves a base until January

its time the senior Pros stood up and were counted with a sprinkling of youth. 3-4-3 for me

Lee

Raglan Hird Wood

Jayo SEB Mani

Rubs eyes to check if he's seeing things...

#25 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:59 PM

View Postazul, on 30 November 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

You said you wanted a high tempo pressing game. Out of those forwards who'll be doing the pressing, Mani I suppose, he'll press so hard he'll be sent off in 10 minutes

I said it was difficult......

#26 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:08 PM

Lee

Raglan Hird Wood

Jayo SEB Mani

You say we need to stop "shedding goals" and then come up with that set up and line up! :wacko:

#27 User is offline   ArcticSpireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:12 PM

Lee

Raglan Hird Wood

Jayo SEB Mani

I'm no expert (despite my incredibly impressive CV on Football Manager) but holy hell that's a shocking line up.

Lee

Herd
Evatt
Raglan
Talbot

Hird
Morsy

Gboly
Novak (just off SEB)
O'Shea

SEB

This post has been edited by ArcticSpireite: 30 November 2015 - 02:20 PM

Happiness is like a cake. Have too much; and you get sick of it.

#28 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:17 PM

This picking a team business is a really interesting development because as I was doing it, it struck me - I WANT to pick a team to play like a Paul Cook side, but I don't really have the players. So, I tried a 4-4-2, but I don't really have the players to do that. 3-5-2? Hmmmm not really

In fact, there are problems with whatever formation you think about, because we don't have the players.

So, the question is? What the blimmin' heck was Saunders doing? We have a group of players who don't really suit any of the recognised formations. Are we in a worse position that we think?

#29 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:25 PM

Part of the issue is that with Jones out we are struggling for people to play full back in a 4-4-2 or wing back in a 3-5-2...folk saying we should play 3 at the back to counter the issue of a lack of full backs probably struggle to come up with anyone who could play one side whilst Drew is playing wing back on the other. I sort of decided that it should be 4 at the back if only because if we are going to have a makeshift full back\wing back i'd prefer it was full back so at least they have a winger in front of them for a bit of protection. Probably looking at Humprhies at left back if Drew plays right back or one of Herd, Hird, O'Neil, Raglan even to play right back with Drew left back.

#30 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:03 PM

View PostArcticSpireite, on 30 November 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

I'm no expert (despite my incredibly impressive CV on Football Manager) but holy hell that's a shocking line up.

Lee

Herd
Evatt
Raglan
Talbot

Hird
Morsy

Gboly
Novak (just off SEB)
O'Shea

SEB

Yep just about that team, unfair on Simons who was the best of the attackers in Saturday so perhaps him rather than Ariybi but I guess Simons would get on the pitch quite quickly anyway. Ideally I'm not sure I would have Herd anywhere near the team. Close call between him and O'Neil for right back

#31 User is offline   Tyrion 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:07 PM

Lee

Raglan Hird Wood

Jayo SEB Mani

Are you on the wind up?

#32 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:13 PM

View PostJonB, on 30 November 2015 - 02:25 PM, said:

Part of the issue is that with Jones out we are struggling for people to play full back in a 4-4-2 or wing back in a 3-5-2...folk saying we should play 3 at the back to counter the issue of a lack of full backs probably struggle to come up with anyone who could play one side whilst Drew is playing wing back on the other. I sort of decided that it should be 4 at the back if only because if we are going to have a makeshift full back\wing back i'd prefer it was full back so at least they have a winger in front of them for a bit of protection. Probably looking at Humprhies at left back if Drew plays right back or one of Herd, Hird, O'Neil, Raglan even to play right back with Drew left back.

We have quite a few quick wide players and it is a really indicative that we can't come up with a name we trust to act as a wing back.

Humphrey's is an obvious name but imagine Wood and him on the left side., not exactly speed machines

#33 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:13 PM

View PostArcticSpireite, on 30 November 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

Lee

Herd
Evatt
Raglan
Talbot

Hird
Morsy

Gboly
Novak (just off SEB)
O'Shea

SEB

Most players were poor on Saturday but Herd probably qualified for the worst and he was only on the park from when Jones got injured in the second half.

I cannot remember witnessing a player look so disinterested, slow, and inept when trying to impress and win a new contract bearing in mind he has been withdrawn by the very manager who speaks so highly of him around the 60th minute in the previous few matches.

As such I struggle to come to terms with him being anywhere near my team and I would rip up any offer we have made him to extend his contract here and now.

Similarly, I have grave doubts over Novak who was totally anonymous on Saturday. I know he is not a natural lone striker but, at least, he could try to put himself about. Again, in January, I would end his loan spell. Add Woods to them two and any new manager has three good chunks of wages to play with on top of those of any other players he can move on like Armand and Harrison. To this I believe Cairns is only on a six month contract so can be released and the best we can hope for with Morsy is a "sale and loan back" deal. So, our new manager will have scope for wheeler dealing.

At present though Mr Smith has problems.

3-5-2 suggests to me with Hird just behind two centre backs as he can, at least, read the game -

Lee
Hird
Evatt. Woods
O'Shea, O'Neil, Morsy, Banks, Talbot
Simons, SEB

#34 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:27 PM

View Postazul, on 30 November 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

We have quite a few quick wide players and it is a really indicative that we can't come up with a name we trust to act as a wing back.

Humphrey's is an obvious name but imagine Wood and him on the left side., not exactly speed machines

The problem is they are all attacking wide players and not really suited to a wing back role where they will be heavily relied on to defend as well. Not really that they cant be trusted more it wouldnt be the right position to play them in.

#35 User is offline   spireiterob 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:34 PM

View Postdtp, on 30 November 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

Most players were poor on Saturday but Herd probably qualified for the worst and he was only on the park from when Jones got injured in the second half.

I cannot remember witnessing a player look so disinterested, slow, and inept when trying to impress and win a new contract bearing in mind he has been withdrawn by the very manager who speaks so highly of him around the 60th minute in the previous few matches.

As such I struggle to come to terms with him being anywhere near my team and I would rip up any offer we have made him to extend his contract here and now.

Similarly, I have grave doubts over Novak who was totally anonymous on Saturday. I know he is not a natural lone striker but, at least, he could try to put himself about. Again, in January, I would end his loan spell. Add Woods to them two and any new manager has three good chunks of wages to play with on top of those of any other players he can move on like Armand and Harrison. To this I believe Cairns is only on a six month contract so can be released and the best we can hope for with Morsy is a "sale and loan back" deal. So, our new manager will have scope for wheeler dealing.

3-5-2 suggests to me with Hird just behind two centre backs as he can, at least, read the game -

Lee
Hird
Evatt. Woods
Simons, SEB

In that absolute shambles of a display on Saturday and in recent weeks when we have been getting worse and worse i think you could put anyone up front and they would struggle, personally i think Novak has shown a bit of quality and in the right balanced team playing some football which Saunders showed he was incapable of producing he would be ok for us.

Agree about Woods a bizarre signing in my eyes when we had far more pressing issues to address.

When he got appointed I had hoped that comments from other teams fans about Saunders were OTT, like those bad reviews on Tripadvisor that you see but go anyway and wonder what they were talking about, but my god they were right werent they!

But such a relief he is gone and can look forward to the games again!

This post has been edited by spireiterob: 30 November 2015 - 03:46 PM

CFC

#36 User is offline   Paragon of Virtue 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:40 PM

Lee

Herd
Hird
Evatt
Talbot

Gardner
O'Neill
Morsy
Ariyibi

SEB
Novak

#37 User is offline   ArcticSpireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:44 PM

View Postdtp, on 30 November 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

Lee
Hird
Evatt. Woods
Simons, SEB

I totally agree with you about Herd but somebody has to play there; unless you have a few pacey centre halves (which we don't) or a defensively aware midfield (which we certainly frigging don't) 3 at the back is incredibly dangerous in my opinion. Talbot is the only option for LB so RB is between Herd and O'Neil; which quite frankly I know is like choosing your preference between cat and dog turd but it has to be done. Azul is also totally right, I forgot about Simons to be fair so I'd have him for Aryibi, and Novak (while absolutely dire the other day like everybody was) is dtill light years ahead of Banks who is the only other option behind the striker.

This post has been edited by ArcticSpireite: 30 November 2015 - 03:47 PM

Happiness is like a cake. Have too much; and you get sick of it.

#38 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:56 PM

I think we need to block the midfield up and break the opposition play down. Defend as a unit and break as a unit. We need less flair players doing nothing and get some strong players in who do the simple things well, get the ball down, pass it and make space. Who to do this though, I dunno?

Lee
3 centre backs
Hird anchoring snuffing out the danger
Morsy and another (Michael O? Cos herd is that bad) failing that, O'Neil.
Drew and either O'Shea, Gardener, boly on the flanks
Then take your pick from the strikers but rai seems to be showing some guts, with SEB for me.

Smiths got a job on here. Hope he's got some decent kids ready to make the step up
Here we go again!

#39 User is offline   Oscar Tone 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Gin and tonic. Patron of the arts and movies where things blow up.

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:02 PM

Can we send Novak back in January? I thought we had him for the whole season.

This post has been edited by Oscar Tone: 30 November 2015 - 04:04 PM

#40 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:20 PM

View PostOscar Tone, on 30 November 2015 - 04:02 PM, said:

Can we send Novak back in January? I thought we had him for the whole season.

Folk have said we can...in theory it is possible for a season long loan that it can be cancelled in the next transfer window, January obviously, depending on what the agreement is between the clubs.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users