• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:53 PM

View PostSearch and Destroy, on 07 December 2015 - 03:03 PM, said:

Failed

10k training on 4 sessions a week.

*One long run (60 mins +)

*10 x 1k (at faster than race pace - in your case 4min 20sec per km), 1 min active recovery

*hill session ( 10-15 x 45 sec hill sprints) (after 20 min steady warm up)

*30 min run. Steady with 3 x 4 min hard pushes within

I guarantee a pb

#43 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:03 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 07 December 2015 - 09:53 PM, said:

*10 x 1k (at faster than race pace - in your case 4min 20sec per km), 1 min active recovery

I guarantee a pb

10 x 4.20 kms with 1 minute rest?

I doubt I could do that, think my best (recent) km is around 3.50, best 3k is 13.50 best 5k 23.03

I think my problem is what you've described, I run maybe 35kms a week but generally just plod at 5.10ish without any competitive runs
JRID

#44 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:54 PM

View PostSearch and Destroy, on 07 December 2015 - 10:03 PM, said:

10 x 4.20 kms with 1 minute rest?

I doubt I could do that, think my best (recent) km is around 3.50, best 3k is 13.50 best 5k 23.03

I think my problem is what you've described, I run maybe 35kms a week but generally just plod at 5.10ish without any competitive runs

If your best 10k is 46 min and bits that's 4.36 ish at least per km.
4.20 is achievable (but not easy-you'll have to work hard) with the 1 min rest.
It's a very mentally challenging session but one of the best.

To run fast you'll need to run at faster than race pace

#45 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:49 AM

Didn't realise we had merged the green meat eating polluting thread with the fitness thread.

#46 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:39 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 07 December 2015 - 10:54 PM, said:

If your best 10k is 46 min and bits that's 4.36 ish at least per km.
4.20 is achievable (but not easy-you'll have to work hard) with the 1 min rest.
It's a very mentally challenging session but one of the best.

To run fast you'll need to run at faster than race pace

Did 10 4.30's last night with a breather between
Will do 10 x 500metre hills tonight
JRID

#47 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:40 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 07 December 2015 - 09:53 PM, said:

I guarantee a pb

Might give this a whirl - how would you recommend easing myself into it for a couple of weeks though? Dn't reckon i;ve got more than 5k in me currently but want to build up to the above

Doing my first 10k in about 4 years in Feb and barely done any training/fitness in months since I started a new job.

Will update on progress. Training starts tomorrow properly I just need to get myself into a routine. Reckon I eat fairly well so that won't be a problem.

This post has been edited by CFC91: 09 December 2015 - 02:42 PM

#48 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:10 PM

View PostSearch and Destroy, on 09 December 2015 - 01:39 PM, said:

Did 10 4.30's last night with a breather between
Will do 10 x 500metre hills tonight

Good stuff.
Do a steady couple of miles warm up to the hill

#49 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:17 AM

View Postfiredodger, on 02 December 2015 - 11:14 PM, said:

Apart from offal I can't think of a single meat I've eaten that I didn't enjoy that's bird or beast of many species and cuts. Same goes for fish, same goes for all kinds of vegetables and fruit, I eat to live and also for pleasure and as such I like to have a varied diet.
I've been in an abattoir and can confirm its not pleasant, but I'm comfortable enough with it. I've eaten lambs tails that I've docked myself and wild pig that I've helped to catch and butcher, I've also eaten fruit and veg I've grown myself.
I recycle and try and do my bit, I've watched inconvenient truth which I thought was eye opening, I do believe climate change is a very real issue which is influenced by all kinds of things.
I've eaten vegan / vegetarian food and it was ok, but by and large I prefer fish or meat based dishes, it's just personal taste.
I have no issues with people making that choice, and basically expect them to respect my choices in the same way.

I was going back through this thread on my dinner house cos I was bored and wanted to see what arguments I made when I tried veganism out initially and how people responded (I am now fully vegan and will be for the rest of my life) and the ending of this post stood out to me. I was a lot more tolerant towards the back end of last year. I have lost that tolerance somewhat now, as no doubt people who use this forum and also follow me on Twitter will have noticed.

I do not respect your choice to butcher innocent sentient life for food when there is no requirement for you to do so. I do not respect your choice to take child from screaming mother, I do not respect your support of animal rape, I do not respect your choice to contribute heavily towards the damage animal agriculture causes to our planet, a planet my children and my grandchildren will have to live on damaged by what you and others do and what I used to do. This goes for anyone else who eats animal produce and wants me or others to "respect their choices" - not a chance, because once you start killing things it stops being your personal choice and it starts to impact others.

Please don't take this too personally FD, I would've said the same no matter who posted the above words. I know that you and others won't particularly care that I don't respect your choices as it literally doesn't affect you whatsoever, but please keep in mind that your choices affect other people, other living beings and your decisions will affect people who have yet to be born.

#50 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:45 PM

View PostGoku, on 27 April 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

I was going back through this thread on my dinner house cos I was bored and wanted to see what arguments I made when I tried veganism out initially and how people responded (I am now fully vegan and will be for the rest of my life) and the ending of this post stood out to me. I was a lot more tolerant towards the back end of last year. I have lost that tolerance somewhat now, as no doubt people who use this forum and also follow me on Twitter will have noticed.

I do not respect your choice to butcher innocent sentient life for food when there is no requirement for you to do so. I do not respect your choice to take child from screaming mother, I do not respect your support of animal rape, I do not respect your choice to contribute heavily towards the damage animal agriculture causes to our planet, a planet my children and my grandchildren will have to live on damaged by what you and others do and what I used to do. This goes for anyone else who eats animal produce and wants me or others to "respect their choices" - not a chance, because once you start killing things it stops being your personal choice and it starts to impact others.

Please don't take this too personally FD, I would've said the same no matter who posted the above words. I know that you and others won't particularly care that I don't respect your choices as it literally doesn't affect you whatsoever, but please keep in mind that your choices affect other people, other living beings and your decisions will affect people who have yet to be born.

What is your definition of sentient life?
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#51 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:23 PM

View Postfishini, on 27 April 2016 - 04:45 PM, said:

What is your definition of sentient life?

Life that is conscious - life that can feel pain, can display fear. They're the basics I'd say. Plenty of the animals you eat also show huge distress when their children are taken from them and killed. Why would we eat something which can feel pain and fear and love for their young? Isn't that absolutely disgusting?

https://www.psycholo...e-no-pretending

For the record I am willing to debate anyone who fancies it on here with regards to any facet whether it be moral or physical pertaining to animal agriculture or veganism or anything on this subject really. I am very confident in my abilities to counter any arguments anyone on here can put forward.

in the meantime, here's an amusing comic

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Goku: 27 April 2016 - 06:25 PM

#52 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:45 PM

View PostGoku, on 27 April 2016 - 05:23 PM, said:

Life that is conscious - life that can feel pain, can display fear. They're the basics I'd say. Plenty of the animals you eat also show huge distress when their children are taken from them and killed. Why would we eat something which can feel pain and fear and love for their young? Isn't that absolutely disgusting?

https://www.psycholo...e-no-pretending

For the record I am willing to debate anyone who fancies it on here with regards to any facet whether it be moral or physical pertaining to animal agriculture or veganism or anything on this subject really. I am very confident in my abilities to counter any arguments anyone on here can put forward.

in the meantime, here's an amusing comic

Spoiler

A sentient animal perceives and responds to sensations of whatever kind - sight, hearing, touch, taste, or smell. On this we agree. Where we may disagree on is do animals consciously make decisions. Animals lives are governed by instinct. They have only one aim in life to breed. That's all nothing else. Just like us. The only reason for our existence is to breed. The difference is we have the ability to make conscious decisions. Do they feel fear? Yes of course they do. Do they perceive fear? Yes when their instinct for survival compels them to do so. Millions of years of evolution has taught them to survive. Hence in parts of the world animals have no fear at all of alien species that are introduced to their environment causing many animals to go extinct. Fear is a result of evolution. That is why most of our offspring for no rational reason are afraid of the dark.
Do animals feel love? No not at all. Will they defend their young? Yes until their life is in peril then the inbuilt desire for self survival kicks in. Do they miss their young? Well I suppose in a way they do but not in the same way as we do with the loss of a child. Animals with the loss of young will almost immediately come on heat again. Will they remember they ever had young? Definitely not.
Can animals think? To a point I suppose they can. Can they think and solve problems? With the exception of us and on a far lesser scale the great apes then no. A good proportion of our life is governed by the same basic rules as the animal kingdom. The urge to survive, to breed and lastly the most fundamental one survival of the fittest. Whether we like it or not I am afraid we are the fittest ie our intelligence on the planet. We have total control of our domain. It is what we do with this responsibility that makes all the difference.

This post has nothing to do with the fact you are a vegan. Just a debate on sentientism. I admire your decision to go down this route. I would however like to know how far have you taken it? Also your thoughts on indigenous tribes who hunt meat to eat?
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#53 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:07 PM

View PostSearch and Destroy, on 03 December 2015 - 10:17 PM, said:

Did my best mile tonight 6mins 37, I cannot imagine how it's possible to run a mile in under 4 minutes.

It's easy to imagine running a mile in 4 minutes. It's a bit like sleeping with Jennifer Anniston/Lopez etc

#54 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:16 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 27 April 2016 - 08:07 PM, said:

It's easy to imagine running a mile in 4 minutes. It's a bit like sleeping with Jennifer Anniston/Lopez etc

You would sleep with them? I can think of a better thing than sleeping and it certainly wouldn't last 4 mins
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#55 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:18 PM

View Postfishini, on 27 April 2016 - 08:16 PM, said:

You would sleep with them? I can think of a better thing than sleeping and it certainly wouldn't last 4 mins

I was trying to keep it clean for the younger members of the board lol. I assume you are saying under 4 mins for both

#56 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:21 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 27 April 2016 - 08:18 PM, said:

I was trying to keep it clean for the younger members of the board lol. I assume you are saying under 4 mins for both

Twice
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#57 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:25 PM

View Postfishini, on 27 April 2016 - 08:21 PM, said:

Twice

I know it's only thinking about it but at your age lol You're taking away any glimmer of reality

#58 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:07 PM

View Postfishini, on 27 April 2016 - 07:45 PM, said:

A sentient animal perceives and responds to sensations of whatever kind - sight, hearing, touch, taste, or smell. On this we agree. Where we may disagree on is do animals consciously make decisions. Animals lives are governed by instinct. They have only one aim in life to breed. That's all nothing else. Just like us. The only reason for our existence is to breed. The difference is we have the ability to make conscious decisions. Do they feel fear? Yes of course they do. Do they perceive fear? Yes when their instinct for survival compels them to do so. Millions of years of evolution has taught them to survive. Hence in parts of the world animals have no fear at all of alien species that are introduced to their environment causing many animals to go extinct. Fear is a result of evolution. That is why most of our offspring for no rational reason are afraid of the dark.
Do animals feel love? No not at all. Will they defend their young? Yes until their life is in peril then the inbuilt desire for self survival kicks in. Do they miss their young? Well I suppose in a way they do but not in the same way as we do with the loss of a child. Animals with the loss of young will almost immediately come on heat again. Will they remember they ever had young? Definitely not.
Can animals think? To a point I suppose they can. Can they think and solve problems? With the exception of us and on a far lesser scale the great apes then no. A good proportion of our life is governed by the same basic rules as the animal kingdom. The urge to survive, to breed and lastly the most fundamental one survival of the fittest. Whether we like it or not I am afraid we are the fittest ie our intelligence on the planet. We have total control of our domain. It is what we do with this responsibility that makes all the difference.

This post has nothing to do with the fact you are a vegan. Just a debate on sentientism. I admire your decision to go down this route. I would however like to know how far have you taken it? Also your thoughts on indigenous tribes who hunt meat to eat?

Re. the bit in red you are indeed correct, unfortunately we have used our status and our "intelligence" to destroy the planet as fast as we can via animal agriculture and other means, so the question here is are we really that intelligent after all? I think not. Re animals & their sentientism (if that's the right word), it's proven that they are sentient, it's not up for debate, it just depends on how much value you place on that really. Thanks for a thoughtful post though.

I'm taking it to however far it can go, haha. As a vegan you can't just eat a plant-based diet, veganism incorporates every aspect of your life including the food/clothes/furniture you buy. So obviously no leather or fur or wool or anything like that. Thoughts on indigenous tribes who eat meat... if you don't have access to decent plant based foods/fruits etc. then it's fine, and even if you do if you've not got the tools to research things yourself such as how it's negatively impacting the planet then I don't expect them to be able to make an informed decision hence why I wouldn't criticise or judge them. In fact, I'd say I respect hunters more than people who go to pick up pigs flesh/cow flesh/chicken breasts/cow lactations from the supermarket in nice neat colourful packages.

#59 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:16 PM

View PostGoku, on 27 April 2016 - 09:07 PM, said:

Re. the bit in red you are indeed correct, unfortunately we have used our status and our "intelligence" to destroy the planet as fast as we can via animal agriculture and other means, so the question here is are we really that intelligent after all? I think not. Re animals & their sentientism (if that's the right word), it's proven that they are sentient, it's not up for debate, it just depends on how much value you place on that really. Thanks for a thoughtful post though.

I'm taking it to however far it can go, haha. As a vegan you can't just eat a plant-based diet, veganism incorporates every aspect of your life including the food/clothes/furniture you buy. So obviously no leather or fur or wool or anything like that. Thoughts on indigenous tribes who eat meat... if you don't have access to decent plant based foods/fruits etc. then it's fine, and even if you do if you've not got the tools to research things yourself such as how it's negatively impacting the planet then I don't expect them to be able to make an informed decision hence why I wouldn't criticise or judge them. In fact, I'd say I respect hunters more than people who go to pick up pigs flesh/cow flesh/chicken breasts/cow lactations from the supermarket in nice neat colourful packages.

Do you eat anything with Palm oil in? Do you have any hardwood in your abode? What about the destruction of millions of insects and 1000's of miles of hedgerows resulting in the decimation of bird populations to aid the growth of cereals. Do you have wallpaper? Just how far will you go?
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#60 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:34 PM

View Postfishini, on 27 April 2016 - 10:16 PM, said:

Do you eat anything with Palm oil in? Do you have any hardwood in your abode? What about the destruction of millions of insects and 1000's of miles of hedgerows resulting in the decimation of bird populations to aid the growth of cereals. Do you have wallpaper? Just how far will you go?

No I've boycotted palm oil, I'm aware of how much it decimates the rainforests and I now check everything for it. I don't own my own house yet, moving into a new build at the end of May. I don't eat cereal, though that's not a moral choice, it's just not in my meal plan.

It's not about being perfect Fish, we all impact our environment to an extent, it's about minimising it as much as you can to a reasonable level whereby you can still enjoy a good life - nobody is expected to become a vegan Amish. I'll have kids and my kids will have kids and I want to be able to tell them that I tried to do something even if others wouldn't listen. I try to spread a good message - people get annoyed, angry and defensive when faced with dissonance but I don't care, my Dad left to go to the gym today muttering about how he'll never eat red meat or dairy again after I showed him a video of cows in various slaughterhouses throughout the world being beaten, stabbed etc for no reason. Now I don't know if he'll stick to that but it's progress. My mum has stopped drinking milk and eating fish (she was a pescatarian). Babysteps :)

Share this topic:

• (34 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users