• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My views

#1 User is offline   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Cricket, Doctor Who and criminal justice.

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:41 PM

2-0 flattered them but they scored from two of their three corners. The first was very bad marking but Poke nearly saved us with a miracle stop. The second was in injury time with two left up and six subs on- even then it took a thunderbolt from a poor clearance to score.

I didn’t see the foul for our “goal” but there seemed few complaints.

Work rate and fitness looked good.

For the most part they dominated midfield but we did try to play football until late on when we were more direct to Folan and Allison.

The defence had few problems with Poke looking very confident. He also dominated his area. Hazell was sound, Downes played well except for one bouncing ball that found him out. O’Hare defended well but his distribution was poor. Picken looks class. Lowry looked like a five year pro but slipped up twice to concede the corner for the second goal.

Allott was a little anonymous in a crowded midfield and Hall was limited until late on. Niven did the stopper bit well while Hurst drifted in and out a little but looked class when he tried, the shot against the bar came from nothing.. Having said that we harried very well and caused problems in their half.

Shaw did little but Larkin was very lively. When Folan came on his first few minutes were woeful. However he battled and started to win most of his headers. The one he blazed over he created for himself and he had no options (it was a very high shot, though!) I thought he looked stronger in his upper body and more aggressive, almost a target man like the Chief. Allison was his normal self and no doubt will play plenty of cameos.

Jackson was played wide but drifted into a sort of three-up-front. At one point he got the ball forty yards out and just hit it beyond the defender who had two yards on him. He rounded the Villa man with ease and rode his challenge and one other. He then checked inside, switched feet and hit a firm shot that was blocked by a combination of the keeper and a defender.

Reasonable work-out but still much to learn about players, formations and starting elevens.
Peter Whiteley

#2 User is offline   Chris_CFC 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:49 PM

refreshingly honest report Pete thank you.
Do I look like a ****ing Jukebox?

#3 User is offline   skaw 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:49 PM

Not gona attract stay aways to come. A few positives especially defensively but we still look poor forward. wish we had an actual left winger.....

#4 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:06 PM

First game of the season for me, wasnt going to go but enfed up working late and went straight to the game.

Oh dear, I think we are in trouble. We created nothing apart from a long range Hurst effort and a good run from Jackson. Defensively we looked OK but O'hare cant be first choice left back and I was happier when Lowry was on. Picken and Hazell were their usual excellent selves. The goalie looked useful and made an incredible save only to see it followed up and finished by the full back. The 2nd goal was a cracker and was a classy finish from the same full back leaving the keeper with no chance.

Midfield was same old huff and puff from Alllott / Niven with some useful running and a good effort from Hurst which deserved better than to hit the bar. Hall looked sloppy to me and Wiggins -Thomas looked more dangerous after his late arrival. Jackson is a good player but he isnt a winger. Mcfarland need to have courage and play him up front but he seems to prefer the bulkier but entirely useless Folan.

Up front Larking was sprightly but didnt show any real signs of an understanding with Shaw who too me didnt look anything special. Half time saw the introduction of Folan who fans gave the benefit of the doubt and got behind, he rewarded them by another display of ineptitude. Chief showed a nuisance factor but was well marshalled.

Summarising, I saw nothing tonight that suggests that we have improved the starting 11 from the one that performed so abjectly last season and I think we are in trouble unless we improve up front and in midfield.
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#5 User is offline   Larkin around 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:20 PM

I thought Niven was dire tonight, and it adds insult to injury that we have next to no other options in midfield. Something needs to be done quickly, but I appreciate it's a tough job for Roy trying to squeeze them into his tiny budget. His passing has not improved one bit, not just in pre-season but since he first came here. In fact, it's probably deteriorated. If he couldn't tackle (and that was very infrequent tonight) I wouldn't be able to see how he's a football league player. I used to love what Niven brought to the team but if he doesn't improve his passing, we're in trouble in the center of midfield. Maybe he is lacking motivation from the lack of cover fighting him for a place? I do however agree that his workrate is tremendous and he will always fight for the cause, which is why I reserve some hope.

Allott was fairly quiet tonight, but I was impressed with Hall and Larkin who I thought were neat enough. Hurst did ok at times but was inconsistent again. Shaw showed a few nice touches but never got into the full swing, but having just 45 minutes, he wasn't really able to. Hazell was as solid as ever, and Downes looked good. Picken was very sound, and Pope looked very comfortable. The weakest link at the back was O'Hare whose distribution is on par with Nivens! He needs to learn that he can play other passes other than down the line! Picken should have a word.

As for the subs, I feel so sorry for Folan, though hopefully he doesn't take it as most would. Our supporters are more useless than him that's for sure. Booing him, laughing when he falls, cheering a shot going over, IN A PRE-SEASON FRIENDLY(!) god help the man. Fair dooze, he's not playing well by any means, but how's this going to help?! I can understand frustrations in the season, I too got annoyed a lot last season but give him a break. He NEEDS confidence. Jackson was very lively, he's got bags of potential, no doubt about it. Lowry looks confident again. Wiggins-Thomas did well to get behind the defence. Allison did what he does, but lacked support and Kovacs had little time to impress.

I thought it was an entertaining enough game but there's still work to be done and another midfielder needs to be recruited, sooner rather than later. I have faith in Roy though.

#6 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:44 PM

View PostMurrayBu, on Jul 26 2006, 11:20 PM, said:

I thought Niven was dire tonight, and it adds insult to injury that we have next to no other options in midfield. Something needs to be done quickly, but I appreciate it's a tough job for Roy trying to squeeze them into his tiny budget. His passing has not improved one bit, not just in pre-season but since he first came here. In fact, it's probably deteriorated. If he couldn't tackle (and that was very infrequent tonight) I wouldn't be able to see how he's a football league player. I used to love what Niven brought to the team but if he doesn't improve his passing, we're in trouble in the center of midfield. Maybe he is lacking motivation from the lack of cover fighting him for a place? I do however agree that his workrate is tremendous and he will always fight for the cause, which is why I reserve some hope.

Allott was fairly quiet tonight, but I was impressed with Hall and Larkin who I thought were neat enough. Hurst did ok at times but was inconsistent again. Shaw showed a few nice touches but never got into the full swing, but having just 45 minutes, he wasn't really able to. Hazell was as solid as ever, and Downes looked good. Picken was very sound, and Pope looked very comfortable. The weakest link at the back was O'Hare whose distribution is on par with Nivens! He needs to learn that he can play other passes other than down the line! Picken should have a word.

As for the subs, I feel so sorry for Folan, though hopefully he doesn't take it as most would. Our supporters are more useless than him that's for sure. Booing him, laughing when he falls, cheering a shot going over, IN A PRE-SEASON FRIENDLY(!) god help the man. Fair dooze, he's not playing well by any means, but how's this going to help?! I can understand frustrations in the season, I too got annoyed a lot last season but give him a break. He NEEDS confidence. Jackson was very lively, he's got bags of potential, no doubt about it. Lowry looks confident again. Wiggins-Thomas did well to get behind the defence. Allison did what he does, but lacked support and Kovacs had little time to impress.

I thought it was an entertaining enough game but there's still work to be done and another midfielder needs to be recruited, sooner rather than later. I have faith in Roy though.

Good summary Murray but I did notice a couple of things you didn't mention.

Whilst Shaw was quiet when he had the opportunity to bring the ball down from chest height on the edge of the area with his back to goal he made time to turn and shoot and the deflection won us a corner. He didn't flatter but he could have deceived.

When Larkin had the ball under control at his feet, facing goal, on the edge of the area he made time to spurn the chance of a shot and pass the ball away from the danger area. Flattered again to deceive.

Chief's control, involvement, and passing was not over impressive. He does what Chief does + no efforts on goal.

Folan's control and passing no better than Chief's but he was involved more and had 3 not very good efforts on goal. As such he probably did more than Chief.

On top of that I think we are going to see more of the 3 kids. Lowery looks as if he's going to be a good 'un, Jackson is like lightening and could benefit by playing behind a front 2, and Wiggins-Thomas has pace and determination - I'm encouraged.

#7 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:16 PM

View PostTown_Fan, on Jul 27 2006, 01:06 AM, said:

First game of the season for me, wasnt going to go but enfed up working late and went straight to the game.

Oh dear, I think we are in trouble. We created nothing apart from a long range Hurst effort and a good run from Jackson. Defensively we looked OK but O'hare cant be first choice left back and I was happier when Lowry was on. Picken and Hazell were their usual excellent selves. The goalie looked useful and made an incredible save only to see it followed up and finished by the full back. The 2nd goal was a cracker and was a classy finish from the same full back leaving the keeper with no chance.

Midfield was same old huff and puff from Alllott / Niven with some useful running and a good effort from Hurst which deserved better than to hit the bar. Hall looked sloppy to me and Wiggins -Thomas looked more dangerous after his late arrival. Jackson is a good player but he isnt a winger. Mcfarland need to have courage and play him up front but he seems to prefer the bulkier but entirely useless Folan.

Up front Larking was sprightly but didnt show any real signs of an understanding with Shaw who too me didnt look anything special. Half time saw the introduction of Folan who fans gave the benefit of the doubt and got behind, he rewarded them by another display of ineptitude. Chief showed a nuisance factor but was well marshalled.

Summarising, I saw nothing tonight that suggests that we have improved the starting 11 from the one that performed so abjectly last season and I think we are in trouble unless we improve up front and in midfield.

Never read too much into freindlies, but if we beat below par oppostion by 3/4 goals and a league 2 side by 2 goals we "expect it", but when we lose 2-0 (1 goal a cracker in injury time) to a team conatianing 4 players with prem` experience "we are in trouble"?

Lets wait until the 5th before actually seeing what is going to happen, for whats its worth I thought we didnt look too bad last night but I can see goals being difficult to come by again.

Mr Mercury
East stand second class citizen.

#8 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:24 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on Jul 27 2006, 03:16 PM, said:

Never read too much into freindlies, but if we beat below par oppostion by 3/4 goals and a league 2 side by 2 goals we "expect it", but when we lose 2-0 (1 goal a cracker in injury time) to a team conatianing 4 players with prem` experience "we are in trouble"?

Lets wait until the 5th before actually seeing what is going to happen, for whats its worth I thought we didnt look too bad last night but I can see goals being difficult to come by again.

Mr Mercury

I think we are in trouble because all I saw was a clone of last season's run in ahead of us. Creating little up front coupled with a decent defensive performance let down by some sloppiness. I cant see the squad being able to change that and more importantly I cant see McFarland changing that either.

#9 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:26 PM

View PostTown_Fan, on Jul 27 2006, 05:24 PM, said:

I think we are in trouble because all I saw was a clone of last season's run in ahead of us. Creating little up front coupled with a decent defensive performance let down by some sloppiness. I cant see the squad being able to change that and more importantly I cant see McFarland changing that either.

Fair comment, I agree we need goals upfront to have a decent start, but I, as yet, am not too worried..but we shall see!!

Mr Mercury

#10 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:28 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on Jul 27 2006, 03:26 PM, said:

Fair comment, I agree we need goals upfront to have a decent start, but I, as yet, am not too worried..but we shall see!!

Mr Mercury

Indeed we shall.

#11 User is offline   monte 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:59 AM

I agree all played well, Folan was useless made 2 good battling tussles with Jemba Jemba and 1 header.

I recon he must get paid by the sponsers cos he always seems the hit the advertising bored when shooting :lol:

#12 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:06 PM

View Postmonte, on Jul 28 2006, 09:59 AM, said:

I agree all played well, Folan was useless made 2 good battling tussles with Jemba Jemba and 1 header.

I recon he must get paid by the sponsers cos he always seems the hit the advertising bored when shooting :lol:

Folan was involved more than the Chief and distributed the ball equally as well. In fact if we really are intent on picking fault with all his mistakes whilst ignoring everything he's done well let's look at your own performance in the same light.

Your performance is useless - you've made a big error - "bored" should be "board" - so even though you yourself are prone to making mistakes you feel it right to join the band of sheep and castigate someone else for every mistake he makes.

#13 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:24 PM

View Postdtp, on Jul 28 2006, 01:06 PM, said:

Folan was involved more than the Chief and distributed the ball equally as well. In fact if we really are intent on picking fault with all his mistakes whilst ignoring everything he's done well let's look at your own performance in the same light.

Chief scored goals last season and Folan never even looked like scoring. I'd rther use that as a guide rather than a friendly where he once again looked poor.

All you Folan lovers only have one argument and its that he's sometimes not the worst player on the pitch. Congratulations.

#14 User is offline   S18Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:46 PM

View PostTown_Fan, on Jul 28 2006, 01:24 PM, said:

Chief scored goals last season and Folan never even looked like scoring. I'd rther use that as a guide rather than a friendly where he once again looked poor.

All you Folan lovers only have one argument and its that he's sometimes not the worst player on the pitch. Congratulations.

We're not all Folan lovers, were just not Folan haters. There is a big and crucial difference.
flat-pack my ar se

#15 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:58 PM

View PostS18Spireite, on Jul 28 2006, 03:46 PM, said:

We're not all Folan lovers, were just not Folan haters. There is a big and crucial difference.

Very well put!!

Mr Mercury

#16 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 28 July 2006 - 01:01 PM

View PostS18Spireite, on Jul 28 2006, 01:46 PM, said:

I take it you think that I am. Well thats not true, I would love to see him score loads and have us sell him for millions but I have seen no evidence to suggest this will ever happen despite CF being at the club for several years. His current contract is a drain on resources we can ill afford and if he is ahead of Jackson in the strikers line up then he his holding back a player who has more potential.

#17 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:04 PM

View PostTown_Fan, on Jul 28 2006, 01:24 PM, said:

AND Folan scored more goals than Chief the season before in less time on the pitch as did Tcham by the way.

So if Folan is in the last year of his contract and Tcham's has expired and has already gone why have we given the Chief another contract?

#18 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:52 PM

View Postdtp, on Jul 28 2006, 03:04 PM, said:

AND Folan scored more goals than Chief the season before in less time on the pitch as did Tcham by the way.

So if Folan is in the last year of his contract and Tcham's has expired and has already gone why have we given the Chief another contract?

Folan has scored 7 goals in 80 appearences and if memory serves he hasnt scored a single goal when he has started a match. He's not good enough get over it and move on.

Please come with an argument thats better than "well hes not as bad as X" and I might believe you.

#19 Guest_Alex Green_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:54 PM

View Postdtp, on Jul 28 2006, 03:04 PM, said:

because:
he is far more experienced
knows when to fall.
is a bigger build to hold players off
works well with the younger players

#20 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:05 PM

View PostAlex Green, on Jul 28 2006, 03:54 PM, said:

because: