• You cannot reply to this topic

General Election It Is Then... Rate Topic: -----

#121 User is offline   mr. smith 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 May 2024 - 01:14 AM

back to the general election.
gullis, defacto tory spokesman thats how far weve fallen, has stated if they win ( :lol: ) theyll bring in a version of national service. that leaves capital punishment as the only unused idea for this morally bankrupt shambles of a party.
roll on independence day.

#122 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 26 May 2024 - 05:36 AM

View Postmr. smith, on 26 May 2024 - 01:09 AM, said:

started off fine, then we got s fuck the tories which got a cheer, then it was he wanted to stab them in the face, then it was shoot them, then as it was tumbleweed & embarressed silence he got really angry & started on about any tories in the audience come on stage & hed give them their ticket money back but stab them slowly thru the eye with a spoon. it was that bad i was tempted to risk the spoon to get my ?20 back.

he has a history of drink/drug problems but surely he had a 'team' with him who should have railed him in, or even venue owner, stevo, pulling the plug.

Sounds awful. At that point you want to back away and leave as it's unlikely to get any better.

View Postmr. smith, on 26 May 2024 - 01:14 AM, said:

gullis, defacto tory spokesman thats how far weve fallen, has stated if they win ( :lol: ) theyll bring in a version of national service. that leaves capital punishment as the only unused idea for this morally bankrupt shambles of a party.

Just heard that on the radio. I wonder what other things that were once popular will be proposed in desperation. A return of scurvy? Ducking stools? Rationing?

#123 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 26 May 2024 - 06:07 AM

View Postmr. smith, on 26 May 2024 - 01:14 AM, said:

National service whilst a great idea of course in principle is impossible this century.
And can you imagine that coming from that fat feck Gullis of all people!!

#124 User is offline   ivansshuffle 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2024 - 07:12 AM

Can?t wait until Sunak announces Rationing as his next brilliant idea.

#125 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 26 May 2024 - 08:06 AM

Compulsory national service for 18 year olds when most 18 year olds are in 6th form or university, they're just throwing out any old garbage now aren't they?
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#126 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2024 - 08:53 AM

Imo this national service idea has been dreamt up by someone thinking how can we appeal to the people

who are always saying the youngsters today need more discipline?

i know lets suddenly say we will bring back national service and hope that the mere mention of the term will

bring us votes from the majority of unsure voters

#127 User is online   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 26 May 2024 - 09:04 AM

National service, wow 😂😂 desperation is the word. No depths they won?t sink to. Tories are done.

#128 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 26 May 2024 - 09:29 AM

Twelve European countries have some sort of National service, including Finland, one of the most respected military?s in the World. In these times when people are worried about the ever growing threat to Europe and NATO from Russia is it really such a crazy idea?
Learning new skills, getting training in various aspects rather than kicking heels!

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 26 May 2024 - 09:31 AM

East stand second class citizen.

#129 User is offline   mr. smith 

• Legend

Posted 26 May 2024 - 09:33 AM

View PostMr Mercury, on 26 May 2024 - 09:29 AM, said:

Twelve European countries have some sort of National service, including Finland, one of the most respected military?s in the World. In these times when people are worried about the ever growing threat to Europe and NATO from Russia is it really such a crazy idea?
Learning new skills, getting training in various aspects rather than kicking heels!

yes it is.

#130 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 26 May 2024 - 09:35 AM

View Postmr. smith, on 26 May 2024 - 09:33 AM, said:

yes it is.

Why?

#131 User is offline   mr. smith 

• Legend

Posted 26 May 2024 - 09:59 AM

View PostMr Mercury, on 26 May 2024 - 09:35 AM, said:

Why?

700000 18yr old in uk, so if half opt for national service over uni/college that leaves 350000. so youd be increasing the uk military by 1/3. cost of housing, feeding, training (which will take more of your regulars away), problems of those that dont really want to be there, problems of those that shouldnt be there. will they be trained with weapons or just used for 'labour'.

i think by & large when youre 18 you know whether you want a military career or not. why not use the 'new' money for the above to reward your fulltime military for their efforts (pay, conditions, post service help).

its a desperate popularist roll of the dice by a man/party coming to the inevitable end.

#132 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 26 May 2024 - 10:07 AM

View Postmr. smith, on 26 May 2024 - 09:59 AM, said:

700000 18yr old in uk, so if half opt for national service over uni/college that leaves 350000. so youd be increasing the uk military by 1/3. cost of housing, feeding, training (which will take more of your regulars away), problems of those that dont really want to be there, problems of those that shouldnt be there. will they be trained with weapons or just used for 'labour'.

i think by & large when youre 18 you know whether you want a military career or not. why not use the 'new' money for the above to reward your fulltime military for their efforts (pay, conditions, post service help).

its a desperate popularist roll of the dice by a man/party coming to the inevitable end.

Fair points but it seems successful in a lot of main stream European countries.

#133 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 26 May 2024 - 10:12 AM

View Postmr. smith, on 26 May 2024 - 09:59 AM, said:

The starting point here should be whether we are short of the optimum number of service men/women that we need. Whilst I wouldn't expect any of our half wit politicians to have a clue how to work that out, there must be someone who can.

So, ideas please on how to boost numbers if we are/will be short are most welcome.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#134 User is online   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 26 May 2024 - 10:31 AM

They've tried to turn everyone against migrants.

They've tried to turn everyone against the unemployed.

They've tried to turn everyone against the mentally ill.

They've tried to turn everyone against doctors and nurses and rail workers and...and...and...

So now, as none of that's worked, they're targeting the young*...

*Council estate kids - let's see how many Tarquins and Henriettas are forced into uniform for fear of sanctions...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#135 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 26 May 2024 - 11:54 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 26 May 2024 - 10:31 AM, said:

They've tried to turn everyone against migrants.

They've tried to turn everyone against the unemployed.

They've tried to turn everyone against the mentally ill.

They've tried to turn everyone against doctors and nurses and rail workers and...and...and...

So now, as none of that's worked, they're targeting the young*...

*Council estate kids - let's see how many Tarquins and Henriettas are forced into uniform for fear of sanctions...

They will still get voted in

#136 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 26 May 2024 - 12:03 PM

View Postmr. smith, on 26 May 2024 - 01:09 AM, said:

started off fine, then we got s fuck the tories which got a cheer, then it was he wanted to stab them in the face, then it was shoot them, then as it was tumbleweed & embarressed silence he got really angry & started on about any tories in the audience come on stage & hed give them their ticket money back but stab them slowly thru the eye with a spoon. it was that bad i was tempted to risk the spoon to get my ?20 back.

he has a history of drink/drug problems but surely he had a 'team' with him who should have railed him in, or even venue owner, stevo, pulling the plug.

I sure never cheered him and was telling him to shut up every time he started spouting political twaddle. As tempted as i was to walk out i had paid my money so saw it through to the end and can see why the venue owners never pulled the plug as a few would have been hacked off, i suspect they were as bemused as us punters. Mark chadwick and the levellers have now joined my list of acts i will never see again along with dodgy, no time for bands having political rants

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 25 May 2024 - 07:15 PM, said:

Because people buy tickets?

Predictable smart alec comment

#137 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2024 - 12:20 PM

Interesting responses. Some very well thought of countries have some form of national service - often for a short period. Yet next to none give the vote to 17=6 year olds, but in true style the board manages to criticise the one that has some foundation elsewhere but not the one that seems to be "young kids will be left, let them vote"

As I skim read it was national service or voluntary service for the community... great, it might teach some of the youth and youthess of today to think of others and it might pass upwards to their parents who clearly brought them up to be like that....

Vote at 16, do me a favour. You cant get married, you cant have legal title to a property, you cant drive... but you can tie the country down to a govt. Will we start having "free Nike trainers for every 16 year old when we get in" as part of the manifesto. My daughter got to vote on the day after her 18th birthday, that was bad enough, she didnt have a clue and didnt really care...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#138 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 26 May 2024 - 12:27 PM

View PostHolmesc1, on 26 May 2024 - 12:03 PM, said:

I sure never cheered him and was telling him to shut up every time he started spouting political twaddle. As tempted as i was to walk out i had paid my money so saw it through to the end and can see why the venue owners never pulled the plug as a few would have been hacked off, i suspect they were as bemused as us punters. Mark chadwick and the levellers have now joined my list of acts i will never see again along with dodgy, no time for bands having political rants

Predictable smart alec comment

Ask a silly question ?..

View PostMr Mercury, on 26 May 2024 - 09:29 AM, said:

I?d forgotten you were a military expert (well an expert of my service anyway).
So you dislike all armed forces but think Finland is one of the most respected? Blimey

#139 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2024 - 12:30 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 26 May 2024 - 12:27 PM, said:

Ask a silly question ?..

So you dislike all armed forces but think Finland is one of the most respected? Blimey

I've never heard Mr M direspect military service and you dont need to be an expert to google and get expert opinions... Given they have a border with Russia I think its fair to say their military is probably stronger than most countries of their size...

added a google link to help you... https://www.chathamh...ture-deterrence
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#140 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 26 May 2024 - 01:34 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 26 May 2024 - 12:27 PM, said:

Ask a silly question ?..

I wondered how long before my own personal online troll appeared and for you to peddle your bare faced lie about me disliking the armed forces. Really no idea why you persist with it, other than you just lie about it, really weird behaviour from a grown man. It didn?t take long, btw I?m still waiting for you to point out the post where I said it so I can donate ?100 to Ashgate hospice, or for you to admit your lying and you yourself donate the ?100. I won?t hold my breath.

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 26 May 2024 - 01:38 PM

Share this topic:

• (29 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users