Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: An admission: i got it wrong. - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An admission: i got it wrong.

#1 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:24 PM

Well, i honestly thought we'd win today. Full squad to choose from, players apparently fired up, and a home fixture against a poor, poor side. Yeah, i braced myself for a post match onslaught from the final few straw-graspers that visit this forum.

And to be fair we started well; some bright play putting Chester on the back foot and creating two or three opportunities, but then when our dominance failed to turn into goals Chester began to gain a foothold - not a convincing, fluent kind of foothold, just a sort of scruffy 'you're not having things your way' kind of foothold. That said though, i turned to a mate and declared that i was still confident and had he noticed that Chester were one of the few sides to visit Saltergate that looked physically smaller than ourselves?

Cue a free kick thirty yards out, cue an obvious warning as it had to be retaken, cue an semi decent cross, cue yet more sloppy defending from a side that're supposed to be "learning from mistakes" and cue another easily conceded goal.

From then on the game degenerated into an ordinary exchange between two ordinary sides. And if Lee Richardson appears in the media and attempts to convince anyone that we're a footballing team, then i'm afraid he's living in a cloudy land inhabited by cuckoos - 'cos our one and only tactic was to lob hopefull balls forward to a lively Jamie Ward and a Jack Lester that seemed either unfit or disinterested!

Half time and the now usual calls for change rang out.

Second half began pretty much like the first but it took only five minutes rather than around fifteen for Chester to impose themselves onto our game. Things stuttered along with the crowd growing increasingly restless until Richardson introduced Winter and Kerry for Robertson and the totally ineffectual Boden. All of a sudden we seemed to gain an impetus and i was just wondering out loud if putting Del Niven on the right was a wise move when he sent over a cross that Ward skillfully brought down before slotting home from six yards.

One - one, game on.

Town then enjoyed a purple patch by actually getting the ball down and putting passes together and, perhaps, could've done better but for a couple of decisions from the officials. Unfortunately it was a brief interlude though, as once again Chester were allowed back into the game and, blatant timewasting aside, were probably worth the draw they eventualy earned.

With five minutes to go the talented but static Currie was replaced by Teixeira who, bizarrely, took up a left sided role instead of going up front to get on the end of the lofted passes that seem to be the norm under LR. Work that one out.

Full time and the "Rico Out" chants echoed around Saltergate.

So, admission time: i got it wrong. Even given Richardson's failings i thought we'd pull it off today, but it would appear that the platitudes of the week were so much hot air, the indignation of certain commentators was misplaced, and those that've allied themselves to the Hubbard/Richardson cause have backed the wrong horse. Again.

The question now isn't if the manager goes, it's when the manager goes. And with each passing day that the decision is delayed, those running the Club lose credibility, support, and, most importantly of all, money.

PS: Jamie Ward won the MOTM, but another excellent showing from Aaron Downes pushed him very, very close.

This post has been edited by MDCCCLXVI: 11 October 2008 - 08:30 PM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#2 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:29 PM

A fair summary.

Something I was annoyed at was our fans singling Currie out, clapping sarcastically when he was brough off, and then his replacement Teixiera coming onto a chorus of "You don't know what you're doing".

Surprisingly, this was the same bunch of people who sung "Rico out" when we scored. Pathetic.

#3 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:41 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on Oct 11 2008, 09:24 PM, said:

Well, i honestly thought we'd win today. Full squad to choose from, players apparently fired up, and a home fixture against a poor, poor side. Yeah, i braced myself for a post match onslaught from the final few straw-graspers that visit this forum.

And to be fair we started well; some bright play putting Chester on the back foot and creating two or three opportunities, but then when our dominance failed to turn into goals Chester began to gain a foothold - not a convincing, fluent kind of foothold, just a sort of scruffy 'you're not having things your way' kind of foothold. That said though, i turned to a mate and declared that i was still confident and had he noticed that Chester were one of the few sides to visit Saltergate that looked physically smaller than ourselves?

Cue a free kick thirty yards out, cue an obvious warning as it had to be retaken, cue an semi decent cross, cue yet more sloppy defending from a side that're supposed to be "learning from mistakes" and cue another easily conceded goal.

From then on the game degenerated into an ordinary exchange between two ordinary sides. And if Lee Richardson appears in the media and attempts to convince anyone that we're a footballing team, then i'm afraid he's living in a cloudy land inhabited by cuckoos - 'cos our one and only tactic was to lob hopefull balls forward to a lively Jamie Ward and a Jack Lester that seemed either unfit or disinterested!

Second half began pretty much like the first but it took only five minutes rather than around fifteen for Chester to impose themselves onto our game. Things stuttered along with the crowd growing increasingly restless until Richardson introduced Winter and Kerry for Robertson and the totally ineffectual Boden. All of a sudden we seemed to gain an impetus and i was just wondering out loud if putting Del Niven on the right was a wise move when he sent over a cross that Ward skillfully brought down before slotting home from six yards.

One - one, game on.

Town then enjoyed a purple patch by actually getting the ball down and putting passes together and, perhaps, could've done better but for a couple of decisions from the officials. Unfortunately it was a brief interlude though, as once again Chester were allowed back into the game and, blatant timewasting aside, were probably worth the draw they eventualy earned.

With five minutes to go the talented but static Currie was replaced by Teixeira who, bizarrely, took up a left sided role instead of going up front to get on the end of the lofted passes that seem to be the norm under LR. Work that one out.

So, admission time: i got it wrong. Even given Richardson's failings i thought we'd pull it off today, but it would appear that the platitudes of the week were so much hot air, the indignation of certain commentators was misplaced, and those that've allied themselves to the Hubbard/Richardson cause have backed the wrong horse. Again.

The question now isn't if the manager goes, it's when the manager goes. And with each passing day that the decision is delayed, those running the Club lose credibility, support, and, most importantly of all, money.

PS: Jamie Ward won the MOTM, but another excellent showing from Aaron Downes pushed him very, very close.

Only bit i disagree with is us starting well, they had first 5 mins

#4 User is offline   Saltergate81 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:52 AM

View PostHaslandboi, on Oct 11 2008, 09:29 PM, said:

A fair summary.

Something I was annoyed at was our fans singling Currie out, clapping sarcastically when he was brough off, and then his replacement Teixiera coming onto a chorus of "You don't know what you're doing".

Surprisingly, this was the same bunch of people who sung "Rico out" when we scored. Pathetic.

That is the current state of play at town tho, no confidence in the manager and dissapointment with certain players who appear not to be bothered. I thought a few weeks ago that there was quite a few people who were still unwilling to say Rico out, myself included, but now it's likely his missus is posting Rico out on here as well. The board need to make a decision, regardless of when new investment is coming and sort what is becoming a big mess out.

#5 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:20 AM

I know we're doing crap and everyone is really annoyed but being idiots towards our own players? That'll inspire them to play well next time....

..Oh wait, no it won't, it'll make them not want the ball and they'll hide in games.

#6 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:22 AM

and those that've allied themselves to the Hubbard/Richardson cause have backed the wrong horse. Again.

Well, that's a fair summary. Can't argue. The thickness of the crossbar probably prevented the convincing win that we needed, and could seal his fate, but, as you say, it's happened too often.

Dissappointed though that you are already spinning against a new appointment, if BH is involved in the selection. I know you don't like it, but it's a fact of life that whoever is in charge won't ask you first.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#7 User is offline   BigBlue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2008 - 02:07 PM

View Postdim view, on Oct 12 2008, 09:22 AM, said:

Well, that's a fair summary. Can't argue. The thickness of the crossbar probably prevented the convincing win that we needed, and could seal his fate, but, as you say, it's happened too often.

Dissappointed though that you are already spinning against a new appointment, if BH is involved in the selection. I know you don't like it, but it's a fact of life that whoever is in charge won't ask you first.

It would be better though if Hubbard actually looked further than the end of his nose before making the next appointment....(and i hold my breath, as i can't see Hubbard sacking his choice Rico, hope he proves us wrong and admits he made a mistake in promoting Rico to manager)

#8 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:38 PM

Rubbish

#9 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:10 PM

Damn!

And as for BH's involvement, maybe i just don't have as much "faith in his judgement" as some.

#10 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:16 PM

One - one, game on.

I agree with your match summary.

I thought we played ok, but when you analyse the opposition and the fact we were at home, the performance and result was simply not good enough.
If only....

#11 User is offline   ThruAndThruBlue 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC, CFC AND OH YEAH DID I MENTION CFC.

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:21 PM

View PostHaslandboi, on Oct 11 2008, 09:29 PM, said:

A fair summary.

i think you'll find that the dont know wot your doin chant was directed at 2 people currie coz he's a waste of space and rico for putting niven on the right, which admittedly we looked better with niv on the right, wot i would also like to point out is that niven's first cross was shocking but still better than currie's.
THANK YOU SALTERGATE YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

#12 User is offline   Brimington Barry 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:22 PM

View PostHaslandboi, on Oct 12 2008, 09:20 AM, said:

I know we're doing crap and everyone is really annoyed but being idiots towards our own players? That'll inspire them to play well next time....

..Oh wait, no it won't, it'll make them not want the ball and they'll hide in games.

If these players are intimidated by criticism on an online fans forum, then they don't even belong at Alfreton Town, never mind League 2 and Saltergate

Baz
God is not obliged to keep the promises of mankind

#13 User is offline   Eddie63 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:23 PM

the target is the back of the net not the cross bar we only had 2 shots on target and the keeper almost saved the one we scored,having said that with our tactics and midfield we are lucky to get any attempts at goal ,rico must go as the fans will never be happy even if we start winning games,whilst he remains in charge.

#14 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:26 PM

View Postvoice1981, on Oct 12 2008, 05:21 PM, said:

i think you'll find that the dont know wot your doin chant was directed at 2 people currie coz he's a waste of space and rico for putting niven on the right, which admittedly we looked better with niv on the right, wot i would also like to point out is that niven's first cross was shocking but still better than currie's.

Do you stand in the Kop? Cos someone near me said those exact words haha.

Yeah well Niven seemed to work well on the right, set up Ward's goal with a nice cross and looked full of energy as always. Played a couple of neat combinations with Lowry.

#15 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:36 PM

View PostHaslandboi, on Oct 12 2008, 05:26 PM, said:

Yeah well Niven seemed to work well on the right, set up Ward's goal with a nice cross and looked full of energy as always. Played a couple of neat combinations with Lowry.

He did.
If only....

#16 Guest_MP-Spire_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:42 PM

View PostSkywalker, on Oct 12 2008, 05:36 PM, said:

He did.

He did do a good job, but with a fully fit side, it's B****Y madness that we had to put him out there.

#17 User is offline   ThruAndThruBlue 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC, CFC AND OH YEAH DID I MENTION CFC.

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:46 PM

View PostHaslandboi, on Oct 12 2008, 05:26 PM, said:

i think it was probably me. i stand on he back row directly behind the net.
THANK YOU SALTERGATE YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

#18 User is offline   Valley Boy Kopite 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:04 PM

One - one, game on.

Even the most pessemistic of us thought we would win and win hansome, just shows what a pathetic result yesterday was, probably the worst of the season given the strength of the opponents.

There is no confidence in this manager, there never has been to be fair but now its spread through the team and the sooner he goes the better. Working from home tomorrow so will be glued to the website hoping..... praying.....

We have lost Mike Newell lets not lose Gary Speed

#19 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:10 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on Oct 12 2008, 04:38 PM, said:

Rubbish

thanks. The stats show that we almost always win if we go ahead.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#20 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:12 PM

Thinking about things whilst driving the lad back from football today, i realised that, but for point deductions, Richardson has effectively taken us from seventeenth in League One, to seventeenth in League Two.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users