• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hobbies Rate Topic: -----

#41 Guest_Quaker_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 November 2023 - 04:45 PM

View Posts42blue, on 21 November 2023 - 04:42 PM, said:

Got the machine just not got around to it. Bacon is easy and soooo good.

I’ve smoked bacon but I only have a hot smoker that I use for my trout so the bacon didn’t turn out too well.

#42 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 21 November 2023 - 04:53 PM

Lego, mostly Technic but can turn my hand to most models, Have several of the big sets. Gets to be an expensive hobby.
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#43 Guest_Quaker_*

Posted 21 November 2023 - 05:02 PM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 21 November 2023 - 04:53 PM, said:

Lego, mostly Technic but can turn my hand to most models, Have several of the big sets. Gets to be an expensive hobby.

That’s excellent, mate. My Grandson would love you!

#44 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 21 November 2023 - 05:07 PM

I play snooker to a half decent level, although its been a few years since i last hit a century.

Played in the Chesterfield league since 1991, too and lost count of the number of WMC and MW that have closed that used to make Chesterfield the biggest league in the country for participant numbers.

Also, play golf infrequently, I used to run a society from a pub on Brim Common before it closed, regularly taking 25-35 blokes all over the country one Sunday every month to play. Would love to be able to play more but with 2 young kids and a relatively new house (to us anyway) its hard finding the time.

#45 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2023 - 05:24 PM

Another one with not many hobbies. Grandkids obviously, dog walking also but as she is also getting old like me, we tend to do more gentle ambling these days. Cars have always been my passion and if I didnt spend as much on them as I have I might be retired now.

Booking hotel rooms for people should also be a hobby as I do a fair bit of that! Wouldnt even run for a train these days, there will be another. Like eating out rather than cooking...and havent played competitive football since I was sent off in a schools match and told I was not playing with the spirit of the game when I told the teacher the most important thing was we won!
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#46 User is online   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2023 - 05:34 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 21 November 2023 - 05:24 PM, said:

Another one with not many hobbies. Grandkids obviously, dog walking also but as she is also getting old like me, we tend to do more gentle ambling these days. Cars have always been my passion and if I didnt spend as much on them as I have I might be retired now.

Booking hotel rooms for people should also be a hobby as I do a fair bit of that! Wouldnt even run for a train these days, there will be another. Like eating out rather than cooking...and havent played competitive football since I was sent off in a schools match and told I was not playing with the spirit of the game when I told the teacher the most important thing was we won!

I like cars but I have never been well off enough to indulge in them. I have always liked fast estates. I managed to be in a position to purchase a 2019 Skoda Octavia VRS estate in May and while it does not compare to Audi S/RS and BMW M hot estates, it's a Golf GTi Perfomance in all but body so the 245BHP 2 litre Petrol is more than quick enough. It's a fantastic car and one I plan on keeping for a long time.

#47 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2023 - 05:39 PM

View Posthilly81, on 21 November 2023 - 05:34 PM, said:

I like cars but I have never been well off enough to indulge in them. I have always liked fast estates. I managed to be in a position to purchase a 2019 Skoda Octavia VRS estate in May and while it does not compare to Audi S/RS and BMW M hot estates, it's a Golf GTi Perfomance in all but body so the 245BHP 2 litre Petrol is more than quick enough. It's a fantastic car and one I plan on keeping for a long time.

you dont need anything faster than that - I had an SQ5 (petrol), M5 (latest version), RS4 (latest version) and all were pointless in the busy and congested south east, and you couldnt enjoy them as if you put your foot down well 6 seconds or less later you were speeding...

So i bought an EV which is fab and have a Mini JCW to get my kicks in at weekends when I want. With a proper gearbox too - much as I like autos for every day (especially to queue on the M25!), a manual is more engaging...

I had a Golf GTi PP back in 2014 - one of my favourite ever cars. Cant get past the looks and the touchscreen interface of the mk8 though....

PS I'm not well enough off to indulge in them - I might have been had I not bought them! My boss runs a Mclaren 650S, now he is...

This post has been edited by isleaiw1: 21 November 2023 - 05:40 PM

Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#48 User is online   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 21 November 2023 - 05:54 PM

My daughter is getting into Lego and whilst it’s mainly the Lego city stuff currently it’s still good fun. Going down to see friends in Kenilworth in a few weeks and their daughter has the technics Bugatti Chiron that I’ll more than likely have a play with!!

#49 User is online   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2023 - 06:00 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 21 November 2023 - 05:39 PM, said:

you dont need anything faster than that - I had an SQ5 (petrol), M5 (latest version), RS4 (latest version) and all were pointless in the busy and congested south east, and you couldnt enjoy them as if you put your foot down well 6 seconds or less later you were speeding...

So i bought an EV which is fab and have a Mini JCW to get my kicks in at weekends when I want. With a proper gearbox too - much as I like autos for every day (especially to queue on the M25!), a manual is more engaging...

I had a Golf GTi PP back in 2014 - one of my favourite ever cars. Cant get past the looks and the touchscreen interface of the mk8 though....

PS I'm not well enough off to indulge in them - I might have been had I not bought them! My boss runs a Mclaren 650S, now he is...

Ha! Quite!

It's remarkable just how much it is like the Golf. Exaclty the same engine, Diff, etc. Only a slightly more sedate exhaust note to keep in with the family wagon image. It's a huge car as well. Cavernous boot and loads of space in the cabin. It just ticks all the boxes in terms of a family car. Clearly given its size and weight excess over the Golf, it doesn't handle quite as sharply but it's fantastic for such a big car and the 0.5 second slower 0-62 time is just not felt in the real world. It's really all the car I'll ever need. Yes, less than 40 to the gallon isn't great but you only live once!

Thats a nice list of cars but given the outlay on them, unless you're rich, they are pretty pointless. There was a Cooper S Works 210 edition for sale around the corner from us a couple of months back and I tried to talk my wife into buying it but shes not bothered. Can't teach them anything.

#50 User is online   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 21 November 2023 - 06:02 PM

View Posthilly81, on 21 November 2023 - 05:34 PM, said:

I’ve always been into cars but like you never been in a position to really indulge. Younger days I ran a couple of hot’ish hatches before I needed something more sensible. Had a 206 gti that was rubbish and then a focus st170 that was really good. Last couple of cars have been an older diesel insignia estate then a newer shape insignia petrol estate….love the practicality of them. Generally have the dogs cage in the boot but when it’s not the boot is huge! Back in the summer it lugged three of us, luggage and three bikes hanging off the back 2000 miles to, round and back from France.

We’ve got an electric Corsa as well which is great fun to drive and the car we use in the main knocking around mainly because my wife gets to charge it for free at work so it’s dirt cheap to run. Still gets decent range even though it’s not got loads of batteries….did Blackburn and back with 15% left a couple of months ago when I was dragged by my wife to watch Sunderland at ewood park. Our current estate is getting on for 6 years old now so thinking another year or so then I think I’ll look at a plug in hybrid estate to replace it. Will run on electric only when I’m knocking about round town but has the bonus of being quite quick when it all works together. The Skoda superb version just been updated and will do over 60 miles on electric only which would do me comfortably for a week of going to work and back.

#51 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 21 November 2023 - 06:25 PM

View PostJonB, on 21 November 2023 - 05:54 PM, said:

My daughter is getting into Lego and whilst it's mainly the Lego city stuff currently it's still good fun. Going down to see friends in Kenilworth in a few weeks and their daughter has the technics Bugatti Chiron that I'll more than likely have a play with!!

Yeah got that one, one of the 2 Technic models I refuse to dismantle (other one is the Range Rover) See if you can find the Louis Vuiton case, touch of class there. Got the London Bus there's hidden things in there including chewing gum under one of the seats.

This post has been edited by Johnnyspireite7: 21 November 2023 - 06:25 PM

"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#52 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tarn, cycling.

Posted 21 November 2023 - 06:49 PM

View PostQuaker, on 21 November 2023 - 04:45 PM, said:

I’ve smoked bacon but I only have a hot smoker that I use for my trout so the bacon didn’t turn out too well.

Try this. https://jesspryles.c...-to-make-bacon/

I put the last batch in the oven at fan 100 for 1.45 and it’s very good (just not smoky)
"Can't change or choose your football club. Sorry son"

#53 Guest_Quaker_*

Posted 21 November 2023 - 07:28 PM

View Posts42blue, on 21 November 2023 - 06:49 PM, said:

Try this. https://jesspryles.c...-to-make-bacon/

I put the last batch in the oven at fan 100 for 1.45 and it’s very good (just not smoky)

I may just give this a go.

#54 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2023 - 09:02 PM

View PostQuaker, on 21 November 2023 - 07:28 PM, said:

I may just give this a go.

You need the Prague powder. If you just fancy trying once let me know. You go to home games? I can bring you enough for a cure. Let me know.

#55 User is offline   Tylerdurdencfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2023 - 09:08 PM

Apart from managing a kids football team, I also buy and restore lego and invest in in different sets. I have loads of the big sets.

The wife gets annoyed at the amount we now have so it's in the storage area.

#56 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2023 - 09:57 PM

I am not into making sausages, am fairly ambivalent about fast cars and don't collect Lego.

Hang on though, I do like a bit of mountain hiking.

#57 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2023 - 10:15 PM

View Postdart in the crossbar, on 21 November 2023 - 09:57 PM, said:

I am not into making sausages, am fairly ambivalent about fast cars and don't collect Lego.

Hang on though, I do like a bit of mountain hiking.

You like curry though

#58 Guest_Quaker_*

Posted 21 November 2023 - 10:44 PM

View Posts42blue, on 21 November 2023 - 09:02 PM, said:

You need the Prague powder. If you just fancy trying once let me know. You go to home games? I can bring you enough for a cure. Let me know.

Cheers.

When I eat time to give it a go I’ll let you know 👍🏼

#59 User is offline   Paragon of Virtue 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2023 - 07:33 AM

View Posts42blue, on 21 November 2023 - 12:45 PM, said:

Same for me. Will be my first marathon 🤞

How's the training going?

#60 User is offline   Paragon of Virtue 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2023 - 07:36 AM

View PostQuaker, on 21 November 2023 - 12:23 PM, said:

I’m sure you’ll do well mate. I’d appreciate hearing how you got on when you’ve done it.

Cheers mate, will do.

Good thread too, definitely brightened up this section

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users