• +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hobbies Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_Quaker_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 November 2023 - 09:35 AM

Lots of tension and lots folk not being very friendly of late, which I find a bit strange seeing as most of us on here have something important to us all in common. I thought I would just add a topic in the hope that it would steer the personal section away from all the arguing and name calling for a couple of hours today.

I have been thinking about a couple of individuals on here (I won't name) and wondering away from CFC, what other hobbies and pastimes do they have. So I thought I would ask the question to everyone, I have a hunch that there will be some surprises.

I'll start:

My real love is wild camping up in the hills but I have had to stop that due to ill health. I took up flyfishing a year or so ago and im starting to get into that in a big way.

I also make sausages!

If you have no interest in commenting on your own hobbies please dont hit the thread with sarcastic or unrelated comments, if it doesn't interest you, skip past, its easy.
Cheers

#2 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tarn, cycling.

Posted 21 November 2023 - 09:55 AM

Good man, spread the love.

Apart from CFC (which is at an all time high due to my son being a fan now):

The usual music and reading; all year round BBQ cook; make my own bacon (swap for sausages? 😂) ; cookery ( authentic Indian and Italian); woodworking (and venturing in to turning) making a table/desk/chair/chess set at the moment; making lamps (out of bottles, a microscope etc); C2C cycling and now training for a marathon.

Good luck on no daft comments 😂😂
"Can't change or choose your football club. Sorry son"

#3 Guest_Quaker_*

Posted 21 November 2023 - 10:03 AM

View Posts42blue, on 21 November 2023 - 09:55 AM, said:

Good man, spread the love.

Apart from CFC (which is at an all time high due to my son being a fan now):

The usual music and reading; all year round BBQ cook; make my own bacon (swap for sausages? 😂) ; cookery ( authentic Indian and Italian); woodworking (and venturing in to turning) making a table/desk/chair/chess set at the moment; making lamps (out of bottles, a microscope etc); C2C cycling and now training for a marathon.

Good luck on no daft comments 😂😂

I suppose I should add cooking too, I do it all in our house and really enjoy it. I used to love cycling, back before lockdown I used to cycle to work in Derby 2-3 times a week, now I am out of breath lifting my bike out of my bike shed.

The daft comments will come, I'm sure :-)

#4 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 21 November 2023 - 10:30 AM

Hill walking, running

Cycling and fishing in the warmer months
JRID

#5 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2023 - 10:35 AM

Running. I absolutely love it. Much more than Football these days. I run competetively and run around 40 - 60 miles a week depending on what I'm training for. I'm currently building towards a sub 36 10k attempt at the Cheshire Elite 10k in March.

#6 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 21 November 2023 - 10:39 AM

I'm at a bit of a crossroads in terms of hobbies....for over 25years until a couple of years ago i played cricket and for a lot of that time football as well. Annoyingly being a bowler its all taken its toll and my body is a bit broken to the point i've barely played either in recent years. Main issues being an arthritic knee where i've basically worn it out, Plantar fasciitis in my feet then general niggles in all the joints that bowling is just very unforgiving on!! The Play Cricket system that was introduced in 2005 to start recording results has me down as bowling 2342.2 overs (over 14,000 balls bowled) but i played for 10 years prior to that and in those initial 10 years i was playing Saturday, Sunday and midweek. Chuck in bowling at training as well and its no wonder my body has started to break down!! I've got to the point now where i am starting to not miss playing and happy going to watch old team mates playing etc, might play in the odd friendly etc where i dont need to do anything properly! I got asked about bowling off a short run etc but that would just annoy me not being able to do things properly and i'm not going to be one of these blokes that carries on playing for years doddering about etc for the sake of it.

From here its a case of what i do instead...i have a 6yr old so that limits things a little bit but i get out with the dog a fair bit and recently upgraded by bike through bike to work. I bike to work a fair bit and could potentially look to do a bit more on that, i'm not a road bike user clad in lycra type as my new bike is a hybrid one that can do trails etc as well.

#7 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 21 November 2023 - 10:40 AM

View Posthilly81, on 21 November 2023 - 10:35 AM, said:

Running. I absolutely love it. Much more than Football these days. I run competetively and run around 40 - 60 miles a week depending on what I'm training for. I'm currently building towards a sub 36 10k attempt at the Cheshire Elite 10k in March.

Thing about running is you’re in your own category and although I can’t do a sub 36 min 10k I just won my category for the Clowne half on Sunday

Msle over 55 , over 13 stone, under 5ft 9 with the occasional bout of gout

1 hour 54 mins 😁
JRID

#8 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 21 November 2023 - 10:43 AM

Cross Country when at school aside i've never been much of a runner. My whole life was always playing football\cricket so much more stop\start running and whilst i had pretty decent stamina for playing football\cricket, i would regularly bowl 15/16 overs in a match back when you could and more recently bowl my allotted 14 overs in one spell and i could get through 90mins in Sunday league without any issues, when it came to just running i struggled to just run and run as i'd sort of built my stamina around stop\start activity.

#9 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2023 - 10:45 AM

View PostSearch & Destroy, on 21 November 2023 - 10:40 AM, said:

Thing about running is you’re in your own category and although I can’t do a sub 36 min 10k I just won my category for the Clowne half on Sunday

Msle over 55 , over 13 stone, under 5ft 9 with the occasional bout of gout

1 hour 54 mins ��

Age group catagories make it really interesting. I'm 42 and just outside the top 1000 V40M in Britain. One of my goals for next year is to break into that top 1k and top 10k overall. The competetive side of running is great but just getting out and enjoying it regardless of rankings, finishing positions or times is the real joy.

Well done on your age group win!

My Runbritain if anyone is interested: https://www.runbrita...hleteid=1051606

This post has been edited by hilly81: 21 November 2023 - 10:56 AM

#10 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2023 - 10:49 AM

View PostJonB, on 21 November 2023 - 10:43 AM, said:

Cross Country when at school aside i've never been much of a runner. My whole life was always playing football\cricket so much more stop\start running and whilst i had pretty decent stamina for playing football\cricket, i would regularly bowl 15/16 overs in a match back when you could and more recently bowl my allotted 14 overs in one spell and i could get through 90mins in Sunday league without any issues, when it came to just running i struggled to just run and run as i'd sort of built my stamina around stop\start activity.

I always convinced myself I hated running despite being ok at it at school and just concentrated on Football. It wasn't until I started running properly just under 5 years ago (Ironically in an attempt to get fit for one last go at football) that I discovered how much I liked it. I wish now I had just always ran. I was always very average at football and wasting my time really.

#11 Guest_Quaker_*

Posted 21 November 2023 - 10:56 AM

View Posthilly81, on 21 November 2023 - 10:49 AM, said:

I always convinced myself I hated running despite being ok at it at school and just concentrated on Football. It wasn't until I started running properly just under 5 years ago (Ironically in an attempt to get fit for one last go at football) that I discovered how much I liked it. I wish now I had just always ran. I was always very average at football and wasting my time really.

Starting to run later in life isn't a bad thing. I started at 16 when I joined up and virtually ran every day up to the age of 55, Ive done marathons and ultra marathons but now, at the age of 62 my knees are so knackered I wouldn't be able to run 100m. I see people my age running down the canal towpath and being incredibly jealous, but they didn't start until much later in life. The last 10K I did was in 2019. Embrace it mate.

#12 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 21 November 2023 - 11:04 AM

View Posthilly81, on 21 November 2023 - 10:49 AM, said:

Despite growing up being a footballer i was always a far better cricketer. I played football from 6 years old but got caught up a bit with the fun and games that happens with kids football at times when i was about 13/14 and didnt enjoy it as much. My best mate from 4yrs old was always a cricketer with no interest in football and was a very very good batsmen, should have played county for his age but went to the wrong school in the wrong part of Derbyshire basically (ie not repton and from south derbyshire!) so i was always bowling at him and just had a bit of natural ability to do it and bowl quite quick for our age etc. It went from there and ended up at one point with us one win from getting into the Derbyshire Premier League with a very good side at Clay Cross competing with much bigger clubs chucking lots of money about. I really enjoyed my cricket and even though i dropped down a few divisions to play at Ashover to avoid the travelling all over Derbyshire higher up i still had a great time until the injuries took hold.

I got back into enjoying football playing Sunday League just at a lower level for a laugh with mates generally hung over from the night before as we'd rolled out of Zanzibar at 2am then onto a pitch later that morning!!

#13 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 21 November 2023 - 11:29 AM

Was mainly the gym but relationship happened along with 2nd child on his way shortly so that’s stopped. Hoping to start up again soon with the new one opening in Boza in December. Rest of my time is taken up taking my almost 7 year old to footy which he plays 6 times a week. Love reading but seems to only happen when I go on holiday. Suddenly dawning on me that I don’t have many hobbies

#14 Guest_Quaker_*

Posted 21 November 2023 - 11:34 AM

View PostGoku, on 21 November 2023 - 11:29 AM, said:

Was mainly the gym but relationship happened along with 2nd child on his way shortly so that’s stopped. Hoping to start up again soon with the new one opening in Boza in December. Rest of my time is taken up taking my almost 7 year old to footy which he plays 6 times a week. Love reading but seems to only happen when I go on holiday. Suddenly dawning on me that I don’t have many hobbies

You need to make time for yourself, mate.

#15 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 21 November 2023 - 11:39 AM

Just sedate stuff now with age creeping up. Enjoy a bit of cooking, nothing too serious, a decent red, well documented on here, but I’m really at home taking our dog, Oscar, our third Staffie, long walks along many of the local trails, usually the Four Pits and Silverhill ones around the Tibshelf ponds area. Can’t wait for the cold frosty mornings. So if you see a chap with a Chesterfield beanie hat on and a gorgeously excitable red SBT that’s me.
Although to add our son and his GF are in the process of buying their first house so I’d image a fair bit of DIY and painting might be needed in the new year!

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 21 November 2023 - 11:51 AM

East stand second class citizen.

#16 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 21 November 2023 - 11:44 AM

View PostGoku, on 21 November 2023 - 11:29 AM, said:

I'm sort of similar with my 6yr old daughter...over the course of a week she has Squirrels (precursor to Cubs) on a Monday, swimming Tuesday, Rainbows (precursor to guides) on a wednesday, after school activity on a thursday that has been football but currently Karate then football on a Saturday and Sunday morning! Throw in a few birthday parties here and there and there is time for nothing else!

#17 User is offline   Paragon of Virtue 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2023 - 11:49 AM

Mainly running, I'm training for my first marathon next year. Aside from that I like hiking and swimming. I'm also a bit of a beer geek, I like to try lots of different stuff, seek out rare beers, try new pubs, brew my own etc.

#18 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 21 November 2023 - 11:50 AM

View PostMr Mercury, on 21 November 2023 - 11:39 AM, said:

Just sedate stuff now with age creeping up. Enjoy a bit of cooking, nothing too serious, a decent red but really like taking our dog, Oscar, our third Staffie, long walks along many of the local trails, usually the Four Pits and Silverhill ones around the Tibshelf ponds area. Can’t wait for the cold frosty mornings. So if you see a chap with a Chesterfield beanie hat on and a gorgeously excitable red SBT that’s me.

Cold, frosty, sunny mornings....my favourite weather!! Great for dog walks as you dont get too hot and the dog doesnt get dirty but also just generally the best weather.

Back in 2013 we were over on the East Coast of America for a week or so. After a few days driving up the coast we spend Thanksgiving in Boston and on the actual day of Thanksgiving it was that sort of weather and the place was dead. We walked round pretty much having Boston to ourselves and it was great. Then a bit later on we ended up in a Bar watching American Football before going for a standard American size portion of a Thanksgiving Day meal in some rather good restaurant!

#19 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2023 - 11:53 AM

View PostParagon of Virtue, on 21 November 2023 - 11:49 AM, said:

Mainly running, I'm training for my first marathon next year. Aside from that I like hiking and swimming. I'm also a bit of a beer geek, I like to try lots of different stuff, seek out rare beers, try new pubs, brew my own etc.

Which marathon are you doing? I think I'll be doing a marathon next year to try and get a Good for Age qualification time for London 2025. I had planned to run Manachester Marathon this last spring to try and qulify for London 2024 but got injured in January.

#20 Guest_Quaker_*

Posted 21 November 2023 - 11:53 AM

View PostParagon of Virtue, on 21 November 2023 - 11:49 AM, said:

Which marathon are you doing?

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users