Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Backing The New Man - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Backing The New Man

#1 User is offline   Zeus 

• Hellenic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Σπαΐραïτς

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:38 PM

With Nixon, Nicholson & Lynch gone, it seems the club is doing its best to back Saunders off the pitch with difficult financial conditions. Which may seem commendable and the right thing to do when you hire someone with such requisites. However, Paul Cook built a model, and the model is working; just because one man leaves should not mean we have to tear it all out and start again from scratch. Why did the club not hire someone that would buy into the way things were being done? Okay, a new man can bring slight changes and tweaks and improvements, which is good, for we must always progress, but the latest movements seem like we are abandoning any attempt at continuity. Is this the confirmation that this phenomenal group of players is breaking up just as soon as they have really come together?

Also, a big thank you to Shane Nicholson for his years of service to the club. However the good the next man may be, Shinner will be missed.
@MancSpireites

#2 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:45 PM

Things change- people move on.

No point moaning about Deano and its Cook who shafted the club and looks like dragging some of its fixtures and fittings with him

#3 User is offline   Zeus 

• Hellenic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Σπαΐραïτς

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:24 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 20 May 2015 - 04:45 PM, said:

Things change- people move on.

No point moaning about Deano and its Cook who shafted the club and looks like dragging some of its fixtures and fittings with him

I support Chesterfield FC, which means I now support Dean Saunders. Cook hasn't shafted the club, he's left it in a much healthier position than what he found it in. It would make sense to try and continue that work as best we can.
@MancSpireites

#4 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:31 PM

View PostZeus, on 20 May 2015 - 05:24 PM, said:

Cook hasn't shafted the club, he's left it in a much healthier position than what he found it in.

EXACTLY! Some folk need to take a step back and realise just what Cook has done for our club.

1) Took us from a disorganised 4th division outfit to the Championship playoffs via Wembley and a league Title, all whilst playing the best football that most town fans have ever witnessed.

2) He's made us some fantastic money from the players he's brought in and the clubs sold on (something that we only ever did once a decade before) and we've still got a lot more of his assets to cash in on yet, so long after he's gone we still could be profiting from his tenure.

Not too shabby for snake and a shafter??

Let's face it, IF the board had a bit more ambition then he would probably still be here.
#notapennymore

#5 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:38 PM

View PostSpireite-Karl, on 20 May 2015 - 06:31 PM, said:

EXACTLY! Some folk need to take a step back and realise just what Cook has done for our club.

1) Took us from a disorganised 4th division outfit to the Championship playoffs via Wembley and a league Title, all whilst playing the best football that most town fans have ever witnessed.

2) He's made us some fantastic money from the players he's brought in and the clubs sold on (something that we only ever did once a decade before) and we've still got a lot more of his assets to cash in on yet, so long after he's gone we still could be profiting from his tenure.

Let's face it, IF the board had a bit more ambition then he would probably still be here.

In order to keep cook here the club would hav has to hav shown more than a bit of ambition. It would have needed to show investment that wasn't sustainable and we know where that would lead

#6 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:45 PM

And then again he probably wouldn't. Rowett of League 2 Burton getting a big city club like Birmingham on money Cook could only dream about - you don't think that made him envious ?

#7 User is offline   The informer 

• Mr Grumpy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield Fc, West Ham fc,

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:34 PM

WHEN DID HE TAKE US TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYOFFS VIA WEMBLEY?

#8 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:01 PM

View PostThe informer, on 20 May 2015 - 07:34 PM, said:

WHEN DID HE TAKE US TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYOFFS VIA WEMBLEY?

Try reading it again :rolleyes:
#notapennymore

#9 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:09 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 20 May 2015 - 06:38 PM, said:

In order to keep cook here the club would hav has to hav shown more than a bit of ambition. It would have needed to show investment that wasn't sustainable and we know where that would lead

Maybe so Ern, but that wasn't really the point I was making. It was more about showing a bit of class and respect towards our former manager as he did an awful lot for us in his short time here and as upset as I am that he's gone I think it's wrong to call him a snake and a shafter as he gave us so much (and more besides) and I for one am very grateful for this and wouldn't change a single thing (other than him leaving, lol)
#notapennymore

#10 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:35 PM

View PostSpireite-Karl, on 20 May 2015 - 08:09 PM, said:

Maybe so Ern, but that wasn't really the point I was making. It was more about showing a bit of class and respect towards our former manager as he did an awful lot for us in his short time here and as upset as I am that he's gone I think it's wrong to call him a snake and a shafter as he gave us so much (and more besides) and I for one am very grateful for this and wouldn't change a single thing (other than him leaving, lol)

Many will see him as two faced as the more that comes out the more apparant it is that he had been trying to get out for months.

#11 User is offline   BlueRover52 

• If it aint broke don't fix it!

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:22 AM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 20 May 2015 - 09:35 PM, said:

Many will see him as two faced as the more that comes out the more apparant it is that he had been trying to get out for months.

:rolleyes: Probably right.And most likely had more ambition than the club.He had taken us as far as he could with the resources available.It's called personal progression and who are we to say that is wrong.No complaints from me so long as we try and sustain what we have experienced and try and build for the future. :blink:
Many a good tune

#12 User is offline   Xerxes 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:14 AM

View PostBlueRover52, on 21 May 2015 - 09:22 AM, said:

No complaints from me so long as we try and sustain what we have experienced and try and build for the future. :blink:

my complaints would be if he had been tapping up and unsettling our players. Is it a coincidence that Jimmy Ryan didn't sign the contract offered around the time PC started getting itchy feet?

#13 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:58 PM

View PostXerxes, on 21 May 2015 - 11:14 AM, said:

my complaints would be if he had been tapping up and unsettling our players. Is it a coincidence that Jimmy Ryan didn't sign the contract offered around the time PC started getting itchy feet?

We'll probably never know

#14 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:02 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 21 May 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

We'll probably never know

If he goes to Portsmouth I think we'll all have a pretty good idea!
East stand second class citizen.

#15 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:06 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 21 May 2015 - 01:02 PM, said:

If he goes to Portsmouth I think we'll all have a pretty good idea!

Maybe but the Ryan contract issue goes back to early in the season doesn't it?

#16 User is offline   Beelzebub 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:58 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 21 May 2015 - 01:06 PM, said:

Maybe but the Ryan contract issue goes back to early in the season doesn't it?

He was offered a new deal last Xmas, was PC looking to jump ship that early? Perhaps, but we'll never know for certain, he was supposedly interested in the Birmingham job before then

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users