God I hate this league.

#123 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:28 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 19 January 2019 - 08:00 PM, said:

Did we play well?

We did Tim. It had been an uneventful first half between two evenly matched teams until the 44th minute. Weston's corner was pin point in the right area and Evans drifted in to thunder home - Roy Race - Melchester Rovers style, THWACK!!!!. The second half, I though we outplayed them. We kept possession, and created and missed a couple chances. You're never sure at 1-0 and it was with great relief when Evans made it two, despite time seemingly standing still as we waited for him to score. Great relief from the Town fans and rare celebrations and chants of John Sheridan's Barmy Army.' After that it was game over and Aldershot - a poor side - were well beaten.

Overall, Town did what it said on the Sheridan's tin. We kept possession and played football. There wasn't a hint of long ball or time wasting and most refreshing of all, we kept playing and going forward for a third goal which we were unlucky not to get.

PS: Many town fans didn't get into the ground and missed the first few minutes. They only has one turnstile open but opened another after kick off. A bit poor I thought.

COYB's

This post has been edited by frearsghost: 19 January 2019 - 08:29 PM

#124 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:31 PM

View Postfrearsghost, on 19 January 2019 - 08:28 PM, said:

We did Tim. It had been an uneventful first half between two evenly matched teams until the 44th minute. Weston's corner was pin point in the right area and Evans drifted in to thunder home - Roy Race - Melchester Rovers style, THWACK!!!!. The second half, I though we outplayed them. We kept possession, and created and missed a couple chances. You're never sure at 1-0 and it was with great relief when Evans made it two, despite time seemingly standing still as we waited for him to score. Great relief from the Town fans and rare celebrations and chants of John Sheridan's Barmy Army.' After that it was game over and Aldershot - a poor side - were well beaten.

Overall, Town did what it said on the Sheridan'e tin. We kept possession and played football. There wasn't a hint of long ball or time wasting and most refreshing of all, we kept playing and going forward for a third goal which we were unlucky not to get.

PS: Many town fans didn't get into the ground and missed the first few minutes. They only has one turnstile open but opened another after kick off. A bit poor I thought.

COYB's

I/we can always rely on you for an intelligent account, John.

Despite reminding me/us of our age with your Roy Race reference.

Thanks, my friend. And very good to hear a positive report at long, long last...

This post has been edited by MDCCCLXVI: 19 January 2019 - 08:32 PM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#125 Guest_Quaker_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:07 PM

Overall, Town did what it said on the Sheridan's tin. We kept possession and played football. There wasn't a hint of long ball or time wasting and most refreshing of all, we kept playing and going forward for a third goal which we were unlucky not to get.

COYB's

Thanks for that, a refreshing read. It’s been a while.

#126 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:12 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 19 January 2019 - 08:31 PM, said:

I/we can always rely on you for an intelligent account, John.

Despite reminding me/us of our age with your Roy Race reference.

Thanks, my friend. And very good to hear a positive report at long, long last...

Is Will Evans our very own "Hot Shot Hamish"?
East stand second class citizen.

#127 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:02 PM

COYB's

Thanks for the summary. Much appreciated.

#128 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:14 PM

View PostDIFH, on 19 January 2019 - 08:14 PM, said:

Just arrived home how far you got.

Just. Got home now shattered and in pain

#129 User is offline   HoneyTrippa 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:20 PM

COYB's
[/quote]
Thanks for the summary - appreciate that. Does that mean that perhaps they may have been more Town Fans than the 303 published. Couldn't get today unfortunately.
There aint no Soul left in these old shoes... since you've been gone

#130 User is offline   WDCFC 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:27 PM

COYB's

#131 User is offline   WDCFC 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:40 PM

We did Tim. It had been an uneventful first half between two evenly matched teams until the 44th minute. Weston's corner was pin point in the right area and Evans drifted in to thunder home - Roy Race - Melchester Rovers style, THWACK!!!!. The second half, I though we outplayed them. We kept possession, and created and missed a couple chances. You're never sure at 1-0 and it was with great relief when Evans made it two, despite time seemingly standing still as we waited for him to score. Great relief from the Town fans and rare celebrations
and chants of John Sheridan's Barmy Army.' After that it was game over and Aldershot - a poor side - were well beaten.

COYB's

A good summary of the game. What stood out for me was every player wanted the ball and when we had it in our possession we were looking to play it forward, whether that meant it going back to go forward we looked like a well organised team. For a change. It’s been a long time since we could say that

#132 User is offline   DerbySpireite59 

• DerbySpireite57
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:38 AM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 19 January 2019 - 04:59 PM, said:

Big game in hand on the 3 teams directly above us

It'll be 2 (away) games after FA Trophy day. Can't afford to be reliant on winning them both. We MUST beat Barrow and Halifax imo.After Barnet game we've a really tough clutch of games
"No one is 100% good, nor 100% evil"

#133 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:07 AM

We can beat anyone e.g. Salford . Hopefully team strengthening will mean we don't lose many

#134 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:15 AM

View PostSpire-Power, on 20 January 2019 - 09:07 AM, said:

We can beat anyone e.g. Salford . Hopefully team strengthening will mean we don't lose many

Im hoping Shezza is a lot more savvy with his January recruitment than both Caldwell and Jack..Jack in particular was making a decent fist of it with Caldwells squad then, just like Caldwell the previous January, brought in hoards of loanees and wannabes and we collapsed.
East stand second class citizen.

#135 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:26 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 19 January 2019 - 08:00 PM, said:

Did we play well?

It’s probably the best I’ve season us this season (not much I know) but with similarities to the Salford game. We looked solid at the back which is rare, Jalal had a good game too. Don’t think we need to replace Burton personally as we have a keeper good enough anyway. Weir looks a different player to the one I’ve seen previously, and commentson here suggest he’s playing well recently too

Kiwomya and Shaw ran their balls off as always and we created a bit more than usual, and limited them to pretty much shots from outside the box and half chances. Glad I went in the end! Evans isn’t going to score every week so we need a striker definitely.

#136 User is offline   Jonno 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:34 AM

Just reflecting on yesterday’s win. It was a really professional performance and to be honest we never really looked in danger.

Jalal looks assured in the nets despite having missed such a large portion of the season, good presence and worked well with the defence who had their attackers pretty much covered.

Highlight for me was Weston and Weir in the middle - they hassled and battled for everything and to be honest, bossed it (Smith too). Weston looked much more lively than most of this season, played forward and knocked in a brilliant corner for Evans to put us 1-up.

Shaw ran all day (as per) and we looked dangerous with him and Kiwomya pushing down either channel. We seemed to play a bit wider and we stretched them.

I know he’s not the most popular but think Fortuné deserves credit for his performance. He holds the ball up really well and brings players into the game. Very classy and can be a bit of a luxury at this level when we’re not playing particularly well but if we’re looking confident and moving the ball fast he adds a lot to the side.

Overall a top performance albeit against a side who struggled and look pretty bereft of ideas. Nevertheless we dictated the game when we went 1-up and we haven’t seen that much this season. You wouldn’t think we were in the relegation zone based on that showing. Bring on Barra!

#137 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:49 AM

Jalal's absence and the signing of an additional keeper by MA was an early sign of his muddled thinking.

Add MAF's banishment and issues with Weir, Hines and probably others and it paints a pretty sorry picture of MA's supposedly tight ship.

#138 User is offline   SpireiTed 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:02 AM

WDCFC said:

1547937625[/url]' post='1449247']
A good summary of the game. What stood out for me was every player wanted the ball and when we had it in our possession we were looking to play it forward, whether that meant it going back to go forward we looked like a well organised team. For a change. It's been a long time since we could say that

Shezza is trying to get the players playing his style of football. At the last home game I heard him shouting to Reid “take care of the ball” when Reid had just aimlessly hoofed the ball forward. Hopefully he can get the players we’ve got playing better but I still think we need some quality reinforcements brought in.

#139 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:05 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 20 January 2019 - 09:49 AM, said:

Jalal's absence and the signing of an additional keeper by MA was an early sign of his muddled thinking.

Add MAF's banishment and issues with Weir, Hines and probably others and it paints a pretty sorry picture of MA's supposedly tight ship.

i think you're spot on here in terms of MA's muddled thinking;
Jalal - keeper of the season, frozen out
Talbot and hines talk themselves into the club, the latter now gone,
Sinnott - the hokey cokey approach
weir, released list? reinstated as captain, dropped, transfer listed, back in the side
ugwu "can't wait to work with that boy, he's a great player" gone before the clocks go back
signing MAF, Reid and Nelson, then dropping them all and again freezing them out completely
Rowley not even considered to start with, then bigging him up and leaving him out.

I've probably missed a few but it is clear that it was a mess.

#140 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:17 AM

View Postjack bauer, on 20 January 2019 - 11:05 AM, said:

i think you're spot on here in terms of MA's muddled thinking;
Jalal - keeper of the season, frozen out
Talbot and hines talk themselves into the club, the latter now gone,
Sinnott - the hokey cokey approach
weir, released list? reinstated as captain, dropped, transfer listed, back in the side
ugwu "can't wait to work with that boy, he's a great player" gone before the clocks go back
signing MAF, Reid and Nelson, then dropping them all and again freezing them out completely
Rowley not even considered to start with, then bigging him up and leaving him out.

I've probably missed a few but it is clear that it was a mess.

when you list it out like this it really does hit home how abysmal Martin Allen was for us. Beyond dreadful.

Share this topic:

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users