Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Crawley V Chesterfield match thread - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Crawley V Chesterfield match thread

#181 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:11 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 17 October 2017 - 10:00 PM, said:

Village side and there's no sustainable FL club there. Basically Fleetwood MK2.

Ironic, given their owner's pronouncements on sustainability.
These go to eleven.

#182 User is offline   Half Full 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:41 PM

Excellent performance tonight by whole team. Built on what was shown in second half against Morecambe. Some real crisp passing moves with players moving to positions to take return balls. Seemed to know what they were doing! Interesting that we built from the back but so much quicker than early season attempts to play that way. Don’t want to single out players as good team effort but worth mentioning that Anyon made some good saves and just looked so much more secure. Think we’ll miss Weir on Saturday. I know he takes some criticism but he has the experience to know where to position himself to cover defenders pushing forward and is always available for the short ball to help others out. He also won some crucial headers tonight. Not sure who we have that reads the game as well from that position.
Think I’ll watch the highlights for only the second time this season given there are actually highlights to watch!

#183 User is offline   plannerj 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC and many other things!

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:58 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 17 October 2017 - 09:53 PM, said:

What for Forest Green? It's probably one of their biggest ever away followings!

The population of Nailsworth is about the same as South Normanton or Killamarsh.

The people of Nailsworth wouldn't appreciate you saying that!

#184 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:09 AM

View Postplannerj, on 18 October 2017 - 04:58 AM, said:

The people of Nailsworth wouldn't appreciate you saying that!

Population 7746 (2015 census).

#185 User is offline   SpireiTed 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:20 AM

COYB Posted Image
ONWARDS AND UPWARDS

#186 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:53 AM

Great to see a win at last. From the highlights we seemed to be a lot quicker. Dennis took his goal well, but just loved the Flores goal hope it gives him confidence to do more.

#187 User is online   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:13 AM

Now I've got over the victory (such a long wait appears to warrant a longer recovery time), can any of the hardy 157 describe Hirds role in the team, his contribution and how pivotal he was. Thanks.

If it's been done and I've missed it appologies.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#188 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:29 AM

[quote name='Half Full' timestamp='1508283709' post='1339363']
Excellent performance tonight by whole team. Built on what was shown in second half against Morecambe. Some real crisp passing moves with players moving to positions to take return balls. Seemed to know what they were doing! Interesting that we built from the back but so much quicker than early season attempts to play that way. Don’t want to single out players as good team effort but worth mentioning that Anyon made some good saves and just looked so much more secure. Think we’ll miss Weir on Saturday. I know he takes some criticism but he has the experience to know where to position himself to cover defenders pushing forward and is always available for the short ball to help others out. He also won some crucial headers tonight. Not sure who we have that reads the game as well from that position.
Think I’ll watch the highlights for only the second time this season given there are actually highlights to watch!
[/quote
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excellent comments.

I was somewhat awestruck at the transformation appearing before my eyes wondering what made the difference. We played out from the back but it wasn't slow and ponderous, there was purpose and tempo. Players were anticipating receiving the ball and the team functioned like a well oiled machine. I was watching a proper football team again. It was a terrific display.

Gone was the long ball for O'Grady to head on to nobody; - what role for him now? - More often than not, Anyon rolled the ball out and a build up began. I trotted back to the station unable to conceal my delight not experienced since the joy of watching us pull back a three goal deficit at Preston when, with Daniel Johnson in the side, we played them off the park in the second half.

If Jack can fashion some sort of consistency at this performance level, we will be ok. We move on to Cambridge for the answer.

This post has been edited by frearsghost: 18 October 2017 - 09:35 AM

#189 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:56 AM

Congratulations to Frearsghost and the others who made that nightmare journey, even by train it's a long journey. Regarding the O'Grady question, I mentioned on here just after the Morecambe game, that I thought Jack might leave O'Grady on the bench at Crawley and carry on where we left off v Morecambe by passing it on the floor. I thought at the time that O'Grady' s role might be to come on later if we weren't getting results, and maybe that's the way Jack is going to operate now. The (alleged) fact that he's a high earner shouldn't come into it, and I'm certain it won't deter Jack from doing what he feels is best for the team.

#190 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:06 AM

View Postsophocles, on 18 October 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

Congratulations to Frearsghost and the others who made that nightmare journey, even by train it's a long journey. Regarding the O'Grady question, I mentioned on here just after the Morecambe game, that I thought Jack might leave O'Grady on the bench at Crawley and carry on where we left off v Morecambe by passing it on the floor. I thought at the time that O'Grady' s role might be to come on later if we weren't getting results, and maybe that's the way Jack is going to operate now. The (alleged) fact that he's a high earner shouldn't come into it, and I'm certain it won't deter Jack from doing what he feels is best for the team.

Thanks my friend but I'm London based.

Hird was solid. Always there to cut out crosses and play the ball out of a tricky defensive situation, but then again, so did all the others. Just like AFC Saltergate Mick, everybody playing for one another.

#191 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

View Postsophocles, on 18 October 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

My beef is that O'Grady to me at least, is a clone of SEB. Very good at holding the ball up, and flick ons, but not much else. In fact I think SEB was probably more of a goal scorer.

I would have preferred a taller striker to partner Dennis, it's a pity Wilkinson was so injury prone as I could see the promise of a good partnership there.

I guess Jack can see the problems and we will just have to wait until January for him to implement his ideas.

This post has been edited by Bowzer spirey: 18 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

#192 User is offline   Albert Holmes Slides In 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:47 AM

I don't want to rain on everybody's parade and I'm delighted we won and scored two goals but .......

Hird and Evatt are two of our best players, but they are terminally slow in combination. Occasionally they'll come up against forwards who don't exploit their lack of pace, but mostly a quick forward will see the space in behind them and go for it. One good answer is to protect them with a defensive midfielder (or two) to give the defence depth and pose opposition forwards with a bigger problem. Which we apparently did!

My question would be whether last night's selections inspire confidence that they can keep out the opposition well enough to get us through to the January window, still in touch. If you even look down at the Vanarama several clubs are fielding strong six footers in defensive midfield roles, guys who you could draft into centre back in an emergency. We haven't got that ........ have we?

I feel like I'm saying I'm glad we played well and managed a bit of genuine football, but might this just be a temporary solution that better opposition might test beyond breaking point?

#193 User is offline   Brookie 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My Dad took me to my first game at Saltergate age 5, he never did say what I'd done wrong, been hooked ever since

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:53 AM

View PostAlbert Holmes Slides In, on 18 October 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

I don't want to rain on everybody's parade and I'm delighted we won and scored two goals but .......

Hird and Evatt are two of our best players, but they are terminally slow in combination. Occasionally they'll come up against forwards who don't exploit their lack of pace, but mostly a quick forward will see the space in behind them and go for it. One good answer is to protect them with a defensive midfielder (or two) to give the defence depth and pose opposition forwards with a bigger problem. Which we apparently did!

My question would be whether last night's selections inspire confidence that they can keep out the opposition well enough to get us through to the January window, still in touch. If you even look down at the Vanarama several clubs are fielding strong six footers in defensive midfield roles, guys who you could draft into centre back in an emergency. We haven't got that ........ have we?

I feel like I'm saying I'm glad we played well and managed a bit of genuine football, but might this just be a temporary solution that better opposition might test beyond breaking point?

Surely that's what Lester was referring to, it's one step in a long road back in which there will be setbacks and we shouldn't get carried away but give praise when it's due

#194 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

I think the impressive thing about Jack's comments when interviewed, is that he faces honestly the fact that we have a long, hard road to follow, and that we need to improve greatly. At the same time, he puts over a quiet but determined impression that he WILL constantly improve the team through individual progress and better teamwork and tactical understanding. He doesn't say he HOPES we will improve, he says we WILL constantly and gradually improve and gain better results. Very early days yet, but I'm prepared to say, even now, that he can go a long way in football management.

This post has been edited by sophocles: 18 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

#195 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:38 AM

View Postfrearsghost, on 18 October 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

Thanks my friend but I'm London based.

Hird was solid. Always there to cut out crosses and play the ball out of a tricky defensive situation, but then again, so did all the others. Just like AFC Saltergate Mick, everybody playing for one another.

You are John and are too modest to point out that you are a season ticket holder rarely missing a home game too

#196 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:46 AM

View PostAlbert Holmes Slides In, on 18 October 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

Good test coming up Saturday, someone who has usually impressed against us, Uche Ikepeazu.
Regarding the centre backs, fact is we don't see many speedy central defenders at this level. Likely it goes back to their early days, 'you're big, but slow, good header, gets this number five shirt on'. We see every week central defenders who don't like being run at, and, with Jack's tactics and more confident squad, we look now to be making the most of the option.

#197 User is offline   prolurker 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:49 AM

Looks like the second half of Saturdays game has been continued. Looking forward to seeing some passing football again at the Proact following 3 managers of dross football. Considering the trip to Cambridge too!

#198 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:00 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 18 October 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:

Good test coming up Saturday, someone who has usually impressed against us, Uche Ikepeazu.
Regarding the centre backs, fact is we don't see many speedy central defenders at this level. Likely it goes back to their early days, 'you're big, but slow, good header, gets this number five shirt on'. We see every week central defenders who don't like being run at, and, with Jack's tactics and more confident squad, we look now to be making the most of the option.

Didn't he absolutely school Hird while playing for Crewe or someone in the not to distant past?

#199 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:08 PM

View Posthilly81, on 18 October 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

Didn't he absolutely school Hird while playing for Crewe or someone in the not to distant past?

I think it was when we first saw him, playing for Donnie in January 2015. He did come up with Crewe in March 2015 and then Blackpool in April 2016. Not quite so stand out for these two if I recall correctly.

#200 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:12 PM

Yeah I think the only time he's bossed us was for Donny, seen him once or twice since and didn't look as good.

Share this topic:

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users