#41 User is offline   another fine mess 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:57 PM

View Postwhittman, on 23 April 2017 - 02:39 PM, said:

A long difficult season at football

I was hoping for something different in the cricket this time

Always a big fan of Kim Barnett, thought he was the right man to turn things around, seemed to have got a decent side together, lets give him some time and with some hot sunshine on our backs and added fast tracks, we'll see.

One thing which is for certain is we can't finish any lower.

#42 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:04 PM

View Postanother fine mess, on 23 April 2017 - 02:57 PM, said:

Always a big fan of Kim Barnett, thought he was the right man to turn things around, seemed to have got a decent side together, lets give him some time and with some hot sunshine on our backs and added fast tracks, we'll see.

One thing which is for certain is we can't finish any lower.

Missing the big SA fast bowler for the first two matches has been a big loss

He might have blasted out both the northants and Kent tailenders to put us in a better position in both matches

We shall see as the season develops though

#43 User is offline   another fine mess 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:17 PM

View Postwhittman, on 23 April 2017 - 03:04 PM, said:

He might have blasted out both the northants and Kent tailenders to put us in a better position in both matches

Again a bit like the football losing Evans, losing a strike bowler, but I was thinking the fast tracks would also suit our batting line up.

#44 User is offline   Footyman 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:01 PM

Just like last season it seems only 2 or 3 will make any sort of score in each innings.

#45 User is offline   another fine mess 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:36 PM

Just to bore folk,

The Derbyshire score of 239 contained 154 in boundaries.

#46 User is offline   azul 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:09 PM

View Postwhittman, on 23 April 2017 - 03:04 PM, said:

He's on a reported £150K per year according to Kent. Talk about putting your eggs in one basket. Trouble is the eggs were cracked before we put them in
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#47 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:06 AM

Was at Canterbury for the first day and although it wasn't a perfect batting track we had therm reeling at 115-5 when three wickets fell in seven balls. On the third day we had an excellent session and had them at 80-6 and in a winning position but, again, the inability to finish off the bottom batting order it still evident.

Decided not to go on the third day. Couldn't stomach defeat after twice having the upper hand. It's so disappointing. At the end of the day Kent had quality batting in depth and we didn't.

It was good to get out and watch some cricket thought. The day I'd been dreaming about in the depth of winter when it gets dark at 4 O'clock.

#48 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:40 AM

We've struggled bowling wise since losing Footitt to be honest and we desperately need Viljoen fit and firing to have that option that can finish off a side, Tahir will make a difference as well. That said hear talk that Viljoen turned up injured and hasnt been fit since he arrived!!

Not sure what Slater and Hossein were up to this weekend either as neither turned out for Chesterfield.

#49 User is offline   Paul Fisher 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:56 PM

View PostJonB, on 24 April 2017 - 10:40 AM, said:

We've struggled bowling wise since losing Footitt to be honest and we desperately need Viljoen fit and firing to have that option that can finish off a side, Tahir will make a difference as well. That said hear talk that Viljoen turned up injured and hasnt been fit since he arrived!!

Not sure what Slater and Hossein were up to this weekend either as neither turned out for Chesterfield.

playing with Derbyshire 2nds today so probably not allowed to play for CCC.

#50 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:15 PM

The balance of the side is all wrong. You can't have two bowling all rounders in the top 3 and then play someone like Alex Hughes at 7/8 and not bowl him.

#51 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:51 PM

View PostDarcy Sarto, on 24 April 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

playing with Derbyshire 2nds today so probably not allowed to play for CCC.

Which is rubbish...should be playing on a Saturday if they are only in the 2nds on a Monday.

#52 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:42 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 24 April 2017 - 07:15 PM, said:

The balance of the side is all wrong. You can't have two bowling all rounders in the top 3 and then play someone like Alex Hughes at 7/8 and not bowl him.

I'm not sure where this idea that Thakor is a number three has come form but it has been mooted all winter. Also Reece, I have no idea about his past but it was never menttioned he was an opening bat

We all have 3 wicket keepers all thinking wicker keeping is their speciality. Winter recruitment has been abysmal.

Roll on the 50 over stuff, that looks our best bet
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#53 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:06 PM

View Postazul, on 24 April 2017 - 08:42 PM, said:

I'm not sure where this idea that Thakor is a number three has come form but it has been mooted all winter. Also Reece, I have no idea about his past but it was never menttioned he was an opening bat

We all have 3 wicket keepers all thinking wicker keeping is their speciality. Winter recruitment has been abysmal.

Roll on the 50 over stuff, that looks our best bet

Seems to have been Kim Barnett's idea. Silly of course.

#54 User is offline   Rodney's Moustache 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:06 AM

I used to be mad keen on cricket when I was A teen and had a season ticket for Derbyshire for a number of years during the Late Eddie Barlow's reign when he galavanised an ordinary side with some quality additions that hasn't been surpassed since.Great memories of Peter Kirsten's batting at the Queens Park, arguably the best bastman seen in Derbyshire colours,Mike Hendrick,John Wright ably supported by Tunnicliffe,the dogged Alan Hill and of course the great Bob Taylor.Played for the school team and also the long gone Taverners cc who had their own ground on Dunston road..Happy memories.

#55 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:00 AM

View PostRodney, on 28 April 2017 - 07:06 AM, said:

I used to be mad keen on cricket when I was A teen and had a season ticket for Derbyshire for a number of years during the Late Eddie Barlow's reign when he galavanised an ordinary side with some quality additions that hasn't been surpassed since.Great memories of Peter Kirsten's batting at the Queens Park, arguably the best bastman seen in Derbyshire colours,Mike Hendrick,John Wright ably supported by Tunnicliffe,the dogged Alan Hill and of course the great Bob Taylor.Played for the school team and also the long gone Taverners cc who had their own ground on Dunston road..Happy memories.

If memory serves the opening of the Taverners ground on Dunston Road included in the All stars team Peter Kirsten Alan Lamb and Garth Le Roux

The story is that all three were brought over from South Africa by Eddie Barlow and if Derbyshire had looked
properly into Alan Lambs background with the English passport they could have signed him as well as Peter Kirsten

Along with New Zealander John Wright what a batting line up that could have been for Derbyshire

Garth Le Roux the big fast bowler went on to play for Sussex

This post has been edited by whittman: 28 April 2017 - 09:02 AM

#56 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:28 AM

View Postwhittman, on 28 April 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

If memory serves the opening of the Taverners ground on Dunston Road included in the All stars team Peter Kirsten Alan Lamb and Garth Le Roux

The story is that all three were brought over from South Africa by Eddie Barlow and if Derbyshire had looked
properly into Alan Lambs background with the English passport they could have signed him as well as Peter Kirsten

Along with New Zealander John Wright what a batting line up that could have been for Derbyshire

Wasn't the opening delayed due to the entrepreneurial Peter Mullen also advertising the area as a high end camp site with him taking booking and some unhappy campers turning up and with no site parking on the cricket pitch.

Dodgy wicket, well it was when I batted on it!
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#57 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:31 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 28 April 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

Wasn't the opening delayed due to the entrepreneurial Peter Mullen also advertising the area as a high end camp site with him taking booking and some unhappy campers turning up and with no site parking on the cricket pitch.

I seem to remember Garth Le Roux only bowling off 2 paces because he dare not bowl any faster

#58 User is offline   Rodney's Moustache 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:18 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 28 April 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

Must have been as I took 6/4 on my debut bowling daisy cutters

#59 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:32 PM

View Postwhittman, on 28 April 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

My memory of the Taverners ground is that they were happy to serve us underage's (16 year old's at the time with ale, Stones) a large influx of budding cricketers followed...

#60 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:05 AM

View Postmoondog, on 28 April 2017 - 11:32 PM, said:

My memory of the Taverners ground is that they were happy to serve us underage's (16 year old's at the time with ale, Stones) a large influx of budding cricketers followed...

If memory serves Kevin Randall, Gerry Clarke and Dan Archer occasionally turned out for the Taverners when they shared the Glassworks ground (Proact) and they then played out of the Racecourse Tavern (boozer bottom of Stand Road) hence Taverners
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

Share this topic:

• (88 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users