• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brentford's Goal

#1 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:11 PM

Having just seen it for the first time on the OS, it does look like a bit of a fluke.

The lad has performed a mid-air toe loop triple axle with pike and the ball has skimmed off the top of his head and looped over an unsighted Carson in the far side of the net and on any other day they go high and wide. Although had Crason had someone on his back post it would have been a straight forward clearance away.

This has got me thinking, according to Rochdale fans the lad who scored the free kick in the last minute at their place usually struggles to keep em within the stadium and with Ward's perfectly good goal (which would have made it 2-1 to us) being disallowed for offside are the footballing gods against us?

Extensive research has been carried out and people who genuinely considered themselves unlucky came out worse on a basic 50/50 choice than those who thought themselves lucky.

Perhaps we need to stop bemoaning poor decisions, debateable red cards etc and concentrate on what we can affect and maybe the gods will leave us alone for a while??

#2 Guest_Alex Green_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:13 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on Oct 1 2008, 04:11 PM, said:

Having just seen it for the first time on the OS, it does look like a bit of a fluke.

The lad has performed a mid-air toe loop triple axle with pike and the ball has skimmed off the top of his head and looped over an unsighted Carson in the far side of the net and on any other day they go high and wide. Although had Crason had someone on his back post it would have been a straight forward clearance away.

This has got me thinking, according to Rochdale fans the lad who scored the free kick in the last minute at their place usually struggles to keep em within the stadium and with Ward's perfectly good goal (which would have made it 2-1 to us) being disallowed for offside are the footballing gods against us?

Extensive research has been carried out and people who genuinely considered themselves unlucky came out worse on a basic 50/50 choice than those who thought themselves lucky.

Perhaps we need to stop bemoaning poor decisions, debateable red cards etc and concentrate on what we can affect and maybe the gods will leave us alone for a while??

end of the day both goals were set pieces and we have to figure out how to defend them. Something that is becoming far to apparent to everyone except Rico

#3 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:28 PM

Maybe we just need a luckier manager?
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#4 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:21 PM

View PostTown_Fan, on Oct 1 2008, 04:28 PM, said:

Maybe we just need a luckier manager?

The "lucky managers" in the premiership get sacked a few months into their long term contracts and don't need to work again like David O'Leary.

#5 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:34 PM

View Postdtp, on Oct 1 2008, 06:21 PM, said:

The "lucky managers" in the premiership get sacked a few months into their long term contracts and don't need to work again like David O'Leary.

On that basis Richardson is a lucky manager because I cant think of too many clubs in our situation that would tolerate the high spending / poor return ability of Richardson and say or do nothing while fans drift away.

I wish I worked for a boss as undemanding as Hubbard.
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#6 User is offline   Webster 

• First Team Player
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:beer

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:44 PM

A man on the back post would have cleared it
50+ points survival
72+ points Play off's
83+ points Party Time

#7 Guest_MP-Spire_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:59 PM

View PostWebster, on Oct 1 2008, 06:44 PM, said:

During the 2nd half, a guy to the right of me shouted down to Rico, not once, not twice, but three times, get a man on the far post.....we escaped by the skin of our teeth, otherwise we'd have gone 2 down.

#8 User is offline   BlueRover52 

• If it aint broke don't fix it!

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:03 PM

:angry: And positive marking at the nearpost would have cut it out!
Many a good tune

#9 User is offline   S18Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:10 PM

Indeed he would

and we didn't score any goals...so however "unlucky" we were Sammy...we still wouldn't have bloomin won!!
flat-pack my ar se

#10 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:23 AM

View PostMP-Spire, on Oct 1 2008, 06:59 PM, said:

During the 2nd half, a guy to the right of me shouted down to Rico, not once, not twice, but three times, get a man on the far post.....we escaped by the skin of our teeth, otherwise we'd have gone 2 down.

The decision to have a man on either/both posts is the keepers and his alone.

He might as well have blamed Rico for not standing on the back post himself.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users