Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: The Tory Scum Thread - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (571 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Tory Scum Thread Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 November 2020 - 04:42 PM

isleaiw1 said:

1604766894[/url]' post='1538169']
Not sure I am the one that needs convincing, I have never voted Tory, however the latest elections have shown that most people in middle England (the Home Counties, and increasingly Derbyshire..) want a party for the majority, that doesn't have weird, unaffordable spending plans that hark back to the economics of the 60s. It's no surprise that Blair won by appealing to the masses, not a social conscience but what was in it for them. You can sort things when you are in power but your policies need to get you elected. That will be Labour's challenge - appealing to enough higher earning voters without alienating its traditional lower earners.

You just seemed to man at centre of recent threads that’s all. Nothing personal.
A new hope.

#22 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2020 - 04:50 PM

View PostDEATH, on 07 November 2020 - 04:42 PM, said:

You just seemed to man at centre of recent threads that’s all. Nothing personal.

It’s ok, I deliberately put a different point of view as if you go through life always hearing the same think why would you broaden your thoughts? Uni taught me a lot - and probably made me more working class with some of the t**ts I met, but it was good to hear different points of view. Now I work in London, half my direct colleagues are paper millionaires through property or prior jobs, and I see every variation of political persuasion (interestingly the two richest are the most left wing, but they can afford to be!)
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#23 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 07 November 2020 - 05:04 PM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 07 November 2020 - 04:34 PM, said:

Dronfield Woodhouse and Coal Aston classed as affluent I believe.

Barlow, Holmesfield etc etc - large parts of semi-rural NE Derbyshire is very affluent.

#24 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2020 - 05:25 PM

View PostMisnomer, on 07 November 2020 - 08:33 AM, said:

https://www.theywork...erbyshire/votes

Lee Rowley voting record. A proper career politician. Doing everything he can to NOT support the majority of people from his constituency. Apart from about four areas, the other 21 areas he represents are poor areas with low income households and below average school performance; yet, he votes against everything that could help the constituents from these areas.

Is he the one that abstained from a vote on same sex marriage, despite being gay?

If that doesn’t say classic towing the party line over his own beliefs I don’t know what does.

#25 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 07 November 2020 - 05:44 PM

View PostCFC91, on 07 November 2020 - 05:25 PM, said:

Is he the one that abstained from a vote on same sex marriage, despite being gay?

If that doesn’t say classic towing the party line over his own beliefs I don’t know what does.

Maybe he thinks it's OK for him to be gay but not anyone else.

Real life Daffyd from Little Britain.

#26 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 07 November 2020 - 05:45 PM

View PostDEATH, on 07 November 2020 - 04:28 PM, said:

Largely yes. If your not seen as credible, you won’t get the support of the electorate. It’s as simple as that. Wet lettuce leaders, policies that people had little or no faith in. No charisma, no credibility. No a good mix.

Look, it’s not the likes of me and thee labour need to convince, it’s the likes of Ian, and those floating voters of so called middle England.

Labour couldn’t beat Theresa May, possibly the weakest prime minister ever. They got trounced by BJ. Why couldn’t they beat May? Her government was in turmoil. Johnson’s a joke figure, one laughed at by people, but people chose him over labour?

WA ALL KNOW BJ LIES. yet, has there been a bigger lie than the George Bush inspired WMD and invasion of Iraq? It’s what politicians do, saying the tories lie is pretty much a given, but you imply it’s only the tories that lie. How many times have you heard folk say “they all pee in the same pot” when referring to Westminster? That’s not gonna bring about a surge in red votes. He a bigger liar than him isn’t going to work. People expect them to lie, we see them lie in interview after interview, not answering questions, deflecting with waffle - Red, Yellow or Blue. Pointing out their lies won’t convince people. People,just,don’t believe the vast majority of politicians.

Brown, well he was on a hiding to nothing. Tarred with Blairs Iraq war brush, and then had to face a global financial crash started by American banks and exacerbated by a greedy financial sector in themUK - buts let not forget, it was on labours watch that the FSA regulated this sector. Yes, the tories wanted less regulation, but Labour under Blair also eased regulatory interference. Just saying “the bad old tories said xxxxx” doesn’t wash with floating voters. People just expect politicians to lie. Mandleson being made a peer so he could remain in government for example. No one believes any of them.

Ask yourself this. Labour (not Blair’s new labour) have not won an election for almost 50 years. Almost half a century. Many who’d remember the winter of discontent are dead, many who’d remember the 3 day week are dead. Yet these traditional labour policies still get the thumbs down from the British electorate - so why do they persist with them? Why don’t they learn from the most success period in the labour parties history in government? And yet, it’s more than that isn’t it. It’s not just the “fear of the 1970s” Chris, far from it. People see the likes Owen Jones......and are turned off. The condescending manner of these types doesn’t make ordinary people think yeah, that’s an ideology I can identify with.

Objectively it makes no sense for ordinary working people to vote for a party dominated by Eton toffs, wealthy business magnates and landed gentry, so why do working people not go red?

Can't understand this vilification of left leaning commentators.

Jones and O'Brien?

Don't always agree with them but compared to, say, Littlejohn, Hopkins, Pierce, or most of those filling columns in the Mail, Sun and Telegraph they're paragons of humanity.

And I'll say it again - this idea of some intellectual elite talking down to working class people is the creation of the real establishment elite to discredit the truth.

Come on Rob, you're a bright guy who's studied how all dictatorships do the same thing. How teachers and philosophers and professionals and anyone who might challenge their lies are the first victims of any authoritarian regime. Stalin...Hitler...Mao...Pol Pot...the list is as long as it's disgusting.

Okay, on an entirely different level, but look at Gove and Co's 'don't listen to the experts' and Trump's 'sack Fauci'. Not to mention the utterly unwarranted attacks on Bozo's medical advisors. Make no mistake - it's all part of the same process.

Returning to the point though, our friend 'Paragon of Virtue' makes a fair point. Whilst some of us are still motivated by historical injustices the benefits delivered by New Labour - which should never be diminished by Blair's regrettable following of Bush - mean we live in a different world. That said millions of people are about to discover those tales of unemployed folk living lives of luxury really are tory media myths. What it's really like to negotiate a benefit system designed to grind claimants into some sort of submission. How false it is to say it's all the fault of the 'have nots' for being too feckless or idle or irresponsible.

Covid, like WW2, will leave the country broke yet with countless heroes who shouldn't be let down. I see no reason the increasingly impressive SKS can't replicate the similarly dour but respectable Attlee in offering a post pandemic, post Brexit way forward...

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 07 November 2020 - 05:47 PM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#27 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 07 November 2020 - 05:48 PM

I do enjoy reading Littlejohn I have to admit. And he's not always wrong.

#28 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 07 November 2020 - 05:54 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 07 November 2020 - 05:48 PM, said:

I do enjoy reading Littlejohn I have to admit. And he's not always wrong.

Like so many of his ilk - left and right - he's like the troll of some non-league football forum.

Not always wrong, but always attention seekingly obnoxious...

#29 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 07 November 2020 - 06:02 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 07 November 2020 - 05:54 PM, said:

Like so many of his ilk - left and right - he's like the troll of some non-league football forum.

Not always wrong, but always attention seekingly obnoxious...

His piece on lockdown today I saw, I agreed with the majority of.

For the other thread but I'll put up with this lockdown and stick to the rules (unless I feel it appropriate not to) , but there will be no third time as far I'm concerned.

This post has been edited by Westbars Spireite: 07 November 2020 - 06:03 PM

#30 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2020 - 06:07 PM

View PostDEATH, on 07 November 2020 - 04:28 PM, said:

Objectively it makes no sense for ordinary working people to vote for a party dominated by Eton toffs, wealthy business magnates and landed gentry, so why do working people not go red?

Under Corbyn, Labour lost the election because they had become so far removed from Tony Blair's Labour that the majority failed to connect with them and feared their lifestyles could have been at risk as a result of a Corbyn government.

People like easy, low cost credit which lends itself to people being able to buy their own homes, multiple cars on the drive, home improvements, multiple overseas (yeah I now) holidays a year, so providing the average household is doing alright they are not concerned about the toffs and the billionaires.

Unless there is mass unemployment and the average household starts to see their disposable income squeezed, people will not vote for a change purely based on their principles as they generally cost money!

#31 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 07 November 2020 - 06:34 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 07 November 2020 - 01:40 PM, said:

Well, I think it was Chris who once said you cant trust a thing that the press print but now it seems you can only trust certain articles that say one thing.... I tend to think he was right first time so I stick to reading decent articles in decent publications (normally about economics and not politics though)...

But you keep reading and only believing ones that suit you, one day you will get a bit older and your cynical head might appear. Have a great weekend.

I read news from all types of publications and listen to opinions from across the political spectrum. I follow both left and right wingers on platforms like YouTube. You sit and read about money, so you don’t really know what’s going off in the world or what certain political parties are up to, but still feel qualified to make lazy statements like ‘they’re all the same’ and you cast aspersions on articles without even reading them.

#32 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 07 November 2020 - 06:43 PM

The Earl of Chesterfield said:

1604771100[/url]' post='1538193']
Can't understand this vilification of left leaning commentators.

Jones and O'Brien?

Don't always agree with them but compared to, say, Littlejohn, Hopkins, Pierce, or most of those filling columns in the Mail, Sun and Telegraph they're paragons of humanity.

And I'll say it again - this idea of some intellectual elite talking down to working class people is the creation of the real establishment elite to discredit the truth.

Come on Rob, you're a bright guy who's studied how all dictatorships do the same thing. How teachers and philosophers and professionals and anyone who might challenge their lies are the first victims of any authoritarian regime. Stalin...Hitler...Mao...Pol Pot...the list is as long as it's disgusting.

Okay, on an entirely different level, but look at Gove and Co's 'don't listen to the experts' and Trump's 'sack Fauci'. Not to mention the utterly unwarranted attacks on Bozo's medical advisors. Make no mistake - it's all part of the same process.

Returning to the point though, our friend 'Paragon of Virtue' makes a fair point. Whilst some of us are still motivated by historical injustices the benefits delivered by New Labour - which should never be diminished by Blair's regrettable following of Bush - mean we live in a different world. That said millions of people are about to discover those tales of unemployed folk living lives of luxury really are tory media myths. What it's really like to negotiate a benefit system designed to grind claimants into some sort of submission. How false it is to say it's all the fault of the 'have nots' for being too feckless or idle or irresponsible.

Covid, like WW2, will leave the country broke yet with countless heroes who shouldn't be let down. I see no reason the increasingly impressive SKS can't replicate the similarly dour but respectable Attlee in offering a post pandemic, post Brexit way forward...

It’s quite simple, Chris.

What I’ve posted, (labours brexit uturn aside), might be why a Place like Bolsover voted blue. Nothing you’ve said explains why Boza voted blue. If you don’t understand why something went wrong, you’ll keep getting it wrong.

Labour need to focus on themselves, and get themselves in order and get things right.

A new hope.

#33 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2020 - 07:13 PM

View PostGoku, on 07 November 2020 - 06:34 PM, said:

I read news from all types of publications and listen to opinions from across the political spectrum. I follow both left and right wingers on platforms like YouTube. You sit and read about money, so you don’t really know what’s going off in the world or what certain political parties are up to, but still feel qualified to make lazy statements like ‘they’re all the same’ and you cast aspersions on articles without even reading them.

You don’t listen to anything, you already know the answers...

I have a good friend who works for a senior long serving labour MP, I work with a bunch of intelligent politically aware people, I use other forums than a football one and get various views. I remember when politicians had done something before politics, had some experience, knew the real world. Now they are career politicians so they have to look good, they can’t give it up and go back to a prior career If they don’t like the way their party is going.

I don’t read about money, maybe ways to make some. I read about problems and potential solutions and the various arguments for and against. Not from politicians who will put there own political slant on it.

I don’t profess to know the answers to it all, I leave that to people like you who know everything having done erm, what precisely..
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#34 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 07 November 2020 - 07:15 PM

If find your argument a strange one.

You seemingly have no opinions on anything beyond that Goku has a closed mind and thinks he knows best!

This post has been edited by Westbars Spireite: 07 November 2020 - 07:16 PM

#35 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 07 November 2020 - 07:28 PM

View PostDEATH, on 07 November 2020 - 06:43 PM, said:

It’s quite simple, Chris.

What I’ve posted, (labours brexit uturn aside), might be why a Place like Bolsover voted blue. Nothing you’ve said explains why Boza voted blue. If you don’t understand why something went wrong, you’ll keep getting it wrong.

Labour need to focus on themselves, and get themselves in order and get things right.

So why did Boser turn blue, Rob.

Seriously, I'm asking the question.

Because if it was because of Brexit Dennis was a staunch leaver. Are you saying the electorate couldn't make that distinction? They were somehow too thick to realise it? Because that's exactly the allegation thrown at remainers.

Or was it his support for Corbyn? His unapologetic hard left credentials? Well okay, fair enough - but why should they become an issue after all these decades? When his straightforward manner had actually been a vote clincher before?

I stand by my belief Brexit is a con. I get and probably agree with your stance on democracy, but still believe we lose much, much more than we gain. I stand by my belief that what effected working people a hundred years ago still effects us now. Poor wages, poor working contracts, poor housing, poor welfare, increasingly poor social infrastructure (after New Labour rebuilt much of it) and an establishment geared towards maintaining the status quo.

If that renders me somehow out of touch or a minority in my community then so be it. But at least this Birdholme lad won't give in to what a millionaire metropolitan elite would impose on that commumity...

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 07 November 2020 - 07:32 PM

#36 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 07 November 2020 - 07:30 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 07 November 2020 - 07:28 PM, said:

Because if it was because of Brexit Dennis was a staunch leaver. Are you saying the electorate couldn't make that distinction? They were somehow too thick to realise it? Because that's exactly the allegation thrown at remainers.

Or was it his support for Corbyn? His unapologetic hard left credentials? Well okay, fair enough - but why should they become an issue after all these decades? When his straightforward manner had actually been a vote clincher before?

I stand by my belief Brexit is a con. I get and probably agree with your stance on democracy, but still believe we lose much, much more than we gain. I stand by my belief that what effected working people a hundred years ago still effects us now. Poor wages, poor working contracts, poor housing, poor welfare, increasingly poor social infrastructure (after New Labour rebuilt much of it) and an establishment geared towards maintaining the status quo.

Yeah, a big telly and visits to the nail parlour mean we've different definitions of poverty these days, but those losing their jobs over Covid will soon wonder why they're expected to live on what a Tory donor tips his chauffer every week...

It was due to Corbyn, simple as that.

#37 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 07 November 2020 - 07:52 PM

The Earl of Chesterfield said:

1604777311[/url]' post='1538231']

If that renders me somehow out of touch or a minority in my community then so be it. But at least this Birdholme lad won't give in to what a millionaire metropolitan elite would impose on that commumity...

I thought the bbc article on it pretty much covered it.

In no particular order.

1)brexit
2) Corbyn
3) people perceived daft policies from labour.

https://www.bbc.co.u...n-2019-50777371

A new hope.

#38 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 07 November 2020 - 09:59 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 07 November 2020 - 07:28 PM, said:

From my perspective Chris, and that of many family and friends, it was because Corbyn and the Labour Party he led, gave the impression he had forgotton the working class Northern constituencies, and re Brexit they were seemingly going back on what those constituencies had voted for. It became more about the party as a whole, and how they were viewed away from the London centric luvies. It mattered not what Dennis stood for, or indeed his fantastic record of a constituency MP, he was holed below the water line by the likes of Corbyn, Abbot, Thornbury and co, and the torpedo was that brutal it rendered him irrelevant. Sad though it is, if Mays leadership had gone full term he would probably have stood down, sadly the snap election stopped that. Far too many former Labour voters thought they were being preached down to by those that should have supported them, and I'm afraid, with all due respect to goku, who always argues his corner well, this thread just reinforces that view.
And regarding your last paragraph I could say that this Tibshelf lad won't give in to what the Metropolitan elitist left want to impose upon me what their view of a Labour voter should be.

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 07 November 2020 - 10:12 PM

East stand second class citizen.

#39 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 07 November 2020 - 10:19 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 07 November 2020 - 09:59 PM, said:

From my perspective Chris, and that of many family and friends, it was because Corbyn and the Labour Party he led, gave the impression he had forgotton the working class Northern constituencies, and re Brexit they were seemingly going back on what those constituencies had voted for. It became more about the party as a whole, and how they were viewed away from the London centric luvies. It mattered not what Dennis stood for, or indeed his fantastic record of a constituency MP, he was holed below the water line by the likes of Corbyn, Abbot, Thornbury and co, and the torpedo was that brutal it rendered him irrelevant. Sad though it is, if Mays leadership had gone full term he would probably have stood down, sadly the snap election stopped that. Far too many former Labour voters thought they were being preached down to by those that should have supported them, and I'm afraid, with all due respect to goku, who always argues his corner well, this thread just reinforces that view.
And regarding your last paragraph I could say that this Tibshelf lad won't give in to what the Metropolitan elitist left want to impose upon me what their view of a Labour voter should be.

I don’t think this thread reinforces that Merc. I’m not saying people who vote Tory are scum or anything like that. People had valid reasons to vote them last election and I don’t have a problem with that, if you wanted to leave the EU they were realistically the only party to vote for, but I do absolutely believe the party is ran by dishonest amoral conmen.

#40 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2020 - 10:20 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 07 November 2020 - 07:15 PM, said:

If find your argument a strange one.

You seemingly have no opinions on anything beyond that Goku has a closed mind and thinks he knows best!

My argument is that articles aren’t always true,how you perceive an article is based on your inbuilt beliefs and prejudices, and we will therefore never agree but I am comfortable with my ability to take and question what comes before me, ask the right questions and make an informed decision where needed. Just like I do every day at work. And for that I learned a long time ago that sometimes you have to trust your gut because if you wait for all the evidence you will suffer from paralysis.

I have an opinion on most things, but I learned also a long time ago that just cos you say it a lot and say it loud,it doesn’t mean you are right. And no one really wants to listen to my views so I just pipe up for a bit of sport every now and then.
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

Share this topic:

• (571 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users