Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Internet Trolls. Interesting article.

#1 User is offline   Odysseus 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Fighting Trojans. Making wooden horses. Sailing the Aegean Sea.

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

Very interesting article on “trolls”, does it ring any bells for you about some of our posters, it did me? So what do you think are most just rude or petty pranksters just out to get a “rise” out of you, or do you think some go over the line into “haters”? Hard to say but I do feel it does sometimes, but only very, very, very rarely. How do you rate your own level? Saint, objective observer, mild mannered, light hearted prankster, wind up merchant, genuinely misunderstood, had a bad day, serious prankster, just plain rude or hater? I would like to think of myself as between “mild mannered” and “light hearted prankster" with a bit of “had a bad day” thrown in for when things get bad, but how you see yourself and how others see you are worlds apart. Any more categories should be added? :unsure:

P.S. None of this of course applies to anything to do with Mansfield Town, as any and all comments are just and righteous and therefore immune to all restrictions for normal behaviour. :)

Whoops does that make me a troll? :o

http://www.guardian....-internet-troll

Try to not use names, it could all get very personal.

This post has been edited by Odysseus: 13 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

#2 User is offline   Elmer Fudd's Thick Lip 

• The Ayatollah
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Big fan of Terry Thomas and Fu Manchu.

Partial to the odd beerd!!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:08 PM

View PostOdysseus, on 13 June 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

Very interesting article on “trolls”, does it ring any bells for you about some of our posters, it did me? So what do you think are most just rude or petty pranksters just out to get a “rise” out of you, or do you think some go over the line into “haters”? Hard to say but I do feel it does sometimes, but only very, very, very rarely. How do you rate your own level? Saint, objective observer, mild mannered, light hearted prankster, wind up merchant, genuinely misunderstood, had a bad day, serious prankster, just plain rude or hater? I would like to think of myself as between “mild mannered” and “light hearted prankster" with a bit of “had a bad day” thrown in for when things get bad, but how you see yourself and how others see you are worlds apart. Any more categories should be added? :unsure:

P.S. None of this of course applies to anything to do with Mansfield Town, as any and all comments are just and righteous and therefore immune to all restrictions for normal behaviour. :)

Whoops does that make me a troll? :o

http://www.guardian....-internet-troll

Try to not use names, it could all get very personal.

I'd put myself in the same categories as you, but with the occasional bit of wind-uppery thrown in for good measure.
Mug?? Being wrong never gets boring!

#3 Guest_Mark Jones_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:11 AM

An interesting piece.

Most forums, I imagine, have members who use them just for winding people up. I am sure Fishini wont mind me mentioning him in regard to this, he has openly admitted he uses this very message board to wind people up as he enjoys it.

There are a couple of others who you could class as "Trolls" but that's just my opinion and something they haven't admitted to so I wouldn't name them.

You do read stories though of some vicious, verbal attacks online and the sooner this is stamped out the better, particularly in regard to kids and cyber bullying.

What the computer does to these people is offer them a barrier, something they can hide behind. How many people on here for instance ridicule the club, the manager, the players or whoever, yet when given the opportunity to air their grievances, slip away into no-mans land for a while. I specifically refer to the recent Fans Forum. How many of those who vent their spleen on here turned up to criticise face to face. For me, I would class those very people as a form of "Troll".

#4 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

I would class myself as a bit of a wind up, misunderstood but certainly not a troll. I deem myself quiet tolerant of other peoples views and their right to make them whether I agree or not. I have never asked for anyone to be banned for any reason at all and I can't see the point in banning people or asking for them to be banned on the basis of them posting things other don't agree with. IMO this board is a bit of fun and as such should be taken on the whole lightly. Some however take it far to seriously and seem far less tolerant of what other may or may not say
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#5 Guest_Mark Jones_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:50 PM

As long as folk stick to the forum rules I can't see a problem. Foul language (or disguised foul language, racism, bullying etc should not be tolerated though.

People have the rights to post any views they have (within the guidelines). If folk don't like what they see just ignore it I say.

You must admit fish, you have said some nasty things about certain folk.

#6 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

View PostMark Jones, on 14 June 2012 - 05:50 PM, said:

As long as folk stick to the forum rules I can't see a problem. Foul language (or disguised foul language, racism, bullying etc should not be tolerated though.

People have the rights to post any views they have (within the guidelines). If folk don't like what they see just ignore it I say.

You must admit fish, you have said some nasty things about certain folk.

And have had plenty of nasty things said about me also. The difference between me and them is I couldn't care less and have never asked for anyone to be banned for saying what they think of me.
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#7 User is offline   Odysseus 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Fighting Trojans. Making wooden horses. Sailing the Aegean Sea.

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

I must admit that when I first started on this board I did take things a lot more seriously than I do now. I put this down to the fact that it is my first, and so far only, message board forum that I regularly visit. It took me a while to get the feel of what was acceptable behaviour or not, and as there are no rules that I know of, it is a case of slowly learning by your mistakes, and how others react to what you write. I have for instance learned that it is best to try and take some time to answer posts that anger or rile me, as I find you can answer more calmly if you give yourself time for reflection. Unfortunately there are certain posters and subjects that seem to make the red mist to fall, and I find myself jumping in with both feet, I am getting better at restraining myself though. I think of myself as a fairly intelligent guy, and hope I can spot a wind up merchant at a thousand metres, I also like to think I have a fairly good sense of humour and so like the pranksters and jokers on this board. That being said there are one or two posters that I cannot get a handle on, and have no idea if they genuinely believe what they say, in which case they are the biggest idiots I know, or are the greatest wind up merchants on the planet, I am 99.9% sure it is the former but there is that 0.1% doubt. I do not use the ignore function as I feel you have to keep abreast of all that goes on to try and help inform your opinion on posters, but admit to being sorely tempted by some. I always ask myself firstly do they really think that or are they just trying to get a reaction; and secondly is what they are doing harmless or intended to hurt; if the answer to both those questions is the latter then I mark them as trolls and have nothing to do with them.
Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users