Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Getting On With Business. - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Getting On With Business.

#1 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:03 AM

Yesterday saw several long-term Town fans protesting outside the ground, displaying a banner stating 'Scandal after scandal - what next?'. I fully understand and applaud their stance (sadly their demonstration was met by abuse from a couple of Spireites - though upon questioning they'd not the faintest idea of it's background!).

What's more given the relatively low turn-out, many hundreds down on comparative fixtures, significant numbers of Town fans took part in a more subtle protest. Again I fully understand and applaud their stance.

However on the field Danny Wilson's team very much got on with business.

Gotta be honest and admit I shared the apprehension expressed by most 'Bob's Board' members given our summer recruitment, but what I actually witnessed was a Town team beating a Swindon side with a textbook display of L1 football. Organised and compact when necessary, yet often fluent in attack.

More than satisfied with the new arrivals, too; Nolan has definite energy (even if he faded in the second half), McGinn was steadily competent whilst Evans looked every inch the Championship standard player touted. Fulton didn't have too much to do yet, other than a couple of wayward kicks, appeared able.

And who's this new lad Gardner? We used to have someone with the same name and looks but who only did owt for five or ten minutes per game. Yesterday's DG played a full part in everything that was good.

It was good, too. Four-two-three-one, the first thing I noticed was how Nolan's dynamism brought the best out of Liddle alongside him in the 'two'. Ariyibi doubled-up on and stifled to a degree yet when he escaped those markers showed why he'll probably be the next out the door >exasperated sigh...<. Evans' core strength and movement is a real handful for defences at our level and but for some superb goalkeeping by the Robins' Vigouroux (whose fluorescent pink gear prompted questions of a colour clash with his teammates' red) or perhaps charitable finishing on our part Town could've gone into the break four, maybe even five up.

The second half was all about match management for us, conceding possession whilst maintaining a disciplined formation then hitting on the break. One or two concerning moments but you always thought we were in control. Well, more or less.

Dunno how Swindon will do this season or if this will prove some sort of false dawn, however we can only be encouraged by such a showing.

MOTM? Tough choice. Could've been any one of four or five. Long may that continue.

Oh, and PS: where does Billy Dearden, our little neighbours' most successful manager in decades, take his youngster to watch football when they're at home? Why the Proact Stadium, of course.

This post has been edited by MDCCCLXVI: 14 August 2016 - 09:07 AM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#2 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:08 AM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 14 August 2016 - 09:03 AM, said:

Yesterday saw several long-term Town fans protesting outside the ground, displaying a banner stating 'Scandal after scandal - what next?'. I fully understand and applaud their stance (sadly their demonstration was met by abuse from a couple of Spireites - though upon questioning they'd not the faintest idea of it's background!).

What's more given the relatively low turn-out, many hundreds down on comparative fixtures, significant numbers of Town fans took part in a more subtle protest. Again I fully understand and applaud their stance.

Gotta be honest and admit I shared the apprehension expressed by most 'Bob's Board' members given our summer recruitment, but what I actually witnessed was a Town team beating a Swindon side with a textbook display of L1 football. Organised and compact when necessary yet often fluent in attack.

More than satisfied with the new arrivals, too; Nolan has definite energy (even if he faded in the second half), McGinn was steadily competent whilst Evans looked every inch the Championship standard player touted. Fulton didn't have too much to do yet, other than a couple of wayward kicks, appeared able.

And who's this new lad Gardner? We used to have someone with the same name and looks but who only did owt for five or ten minutes per game. Yesterday's DG played a full part in everything that was good.

It was good, too. Four-two-three-one, the first thing I noticed was how Nolan's dynamism brought the best out of Liddle alongside him in the 'two'. Ariyibi doubled-up on and stifled to a degree yet when he escaped those markers showed why he'll probably be the next out the door >exasperated sigh...<. Evans core strength and movement is a real handful for defences at our level and but for some superb goalkeeping by the Robins' Vigouroux (whose fluorescent pink gear prompted questions of a colour clash with his teammates' red) or perhaps charitable finishing on our part Town could've gone into the break four, maybe even five up.

The second half was all about match management for us, conceding possession whilst maintaining a disciplined formation then hitting on the break. One or two concerning moments but you always thought we were in control. Well, more or less.

Dunno how Swindon will do this season or if this will prove some sort of false dawn, however we can only be encouraged by this showing.

MOTM? Tough choice. Could've been any one of four or five. Long may that continue.

Oh, and PS: where does Billy Dearden, our little neighbours' most successful manager in decades, take his youngster to watch football when they're at home? Why the Proact Stadium, of course.

Makes sense, he was a player and coach here before he got the 'top' job/poisoned chalice at the wrong side of the motorway after all.
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#3 User is offline   Rudeboy spireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:17 AM

I was very surprised by the low attendance yesterday but fully understand the reasons for it

#4 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:17 AM

The protest, while justified, looks to be attended by about 3 fans judging by the photo on here.
No doubt many fans on holiday during the school vacation so let's hope for bigger crowds in the proact next month.
Btw at Billys age I would think it's his grandchild. He still lives in town I think.

This post has been edited by Spire-Power: 14 August 2016 - 09:18 AM

#5 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:25 AM

View PostRudeboy spireite, on 14 August 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

I was very surprised by the low attendance yesterday but fully understand the reasons for it

ST sales down 10% or so plus school vacation. Thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon at the Proact yesterday and hope I feel the same way on tuesday night!

#6 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:31 AM

I was surprised by the low attendance in the away end

#7 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:34 AM

View PostRudeboy spireite, on 14 August 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

It was plenty higher than it could have been. For me the numbers have held up reasonably well considering the various barriers that have put in place. Whether it be 'controversial' signings, national ridicule for falsifying a competition or on-the-day price increases the club have done very little positive to bring people in.

The only thing that can be done now to reverse that trend is to have an attractive and modestly successful team to watch on the pitch.

#8 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:36 AM

It's possible....until they sell ariyibi and Evans

#9 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:41 AM

View PostSpire-Power, on 14 August 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

It's possible....until they sell ariyibi and Evans

Which unfortunately will happen.

#10 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:51 AM

View PostSpire-Power, on 14 August 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

The protest, while justified, looks to be attended by about 3 fans judging by the photo on here.
No doubt many fans on holiday during the school vacation so let's hope for bigger crowds in the proact next month.
Btw at Billys age I would think it's his grandchild. He still lives in town I think.

Six or seven when I took a minute to speak to them, 'SP'.

But whilst I accept your reference to the holiday season - hence the tongue-in-cheek title of my thread earlier this week - we can't ignore the fact yesterday's crowd was many hundreds down on comparative crowds in previous years.

Why?

Well surely only the worst sort of 'ostrich' would deny it's a protest against how the Club's been run over recent times. Infact that's the reason quoted by friends of mine boycotting games.

On the positive side, though, performances and results like yesterday's will have at least some of the absentees coming back.
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#11 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:06 AM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 14 August 2016 - 09:51 AM, said:

But whilst I accept your reference to the holiday season - hence the tongue-in-cheek title of my thread earlier this week - we can't ignore the fact yesterday's crowd was many hundreds down on comparative crowds in previous years.

Why?

Well surely only the worst sort of 'ostrich' would deny it's a protest against how the Club's been run over recent times. Infact that's the reason quoted by friends of mine boycotting games.

On the positive side, though, performances and results like yesterday's will have at least some of the absentees coming back.

Obviously, there are a number of reasons why the crowd was down in numbers but I was, somewhat, surprised at how few Swindon supporters came to the match. Don't know how many of theirs came last season, I admit, but I was expecting more yesterday.

Regarding the football, Chris, you have summed it up quite well. Danny got the tactics right. The team played like a team. When Nolan gets used to playing regularly at this level we should have a really good central midfield as Liddle showed how mobile he is yesterday virtually covering every blade of grass. Liked how Evans made a bee-line for Ariyibi rather than taking all the plaudits for his goal.

I am reasonably optimistic for the season and I can only assume this board is judging from the lack of posters!!!!!!

#12 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:38 AM

Agree re Liddle first time I have seen him with Nolan and he had a very good game. Nolan was good too just what we need

#13 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:42 AM

Gotta be honest and admit I shared the apprehension expressed by most 'Bob's Board' members given our summer recruitment, but what I actually witnessed was a Town team beating a Swindon side with a textbook display of L1 football. Organised and compact when necessary, yet often fluent in attack.

It was good, too. Four-two-three-one, the first thing I noticed was how Nolan's dynamism brought the best out of Liddle alongside him in the 'two'. Ariyibi doubled-up on and stifled to a degree yet when he escaped those markers showed why he'll probably be the next out the door >exasperated sigh...<. Evans' core strength and movement is a real handful for defences at our level and but for some superb goalkeeping by the Robins' Vigouroux (whose fluorescent pink gear prompted questions of a colour clash with his teammates' red) or perhaps charitable finishing on our part Town could've gone into the break four, maybe even five up.

Dunno how Swindon will do this season or if this will prove some sort of false dawn, however we can only be encouraged by such a showing.

I think we have to take into effect the school holiday season in respect of the attendance, first games are notorious for lower attendances and the general disdain cannot be solely levelled at the general feel of discontent that results in some support staying away.

As for the cat calls at 'The Protest' I think thats generally down to folks that don't care and don't understand the fundimental calamity that the club finds itself.

The cull of staff just shows how hard the debt is biting, even though we have seen millions into the club. Concourse catering is showing no queueus upto 30 minutes before KO and stock relatively low on view. ( West stand - kop end) Attendances AND SPENDING are obviously having an impact.

If the budget is spent and our only hope of further signings is moving Seb on then I seriously woory about keeping Boly - Barnsley with the John Stones wind-fall are circleing.

God I hate this league.

#14 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:43 AM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 14 August 2016 - 09:51 AM, said:

Why?

STs are obviously down because of some off field shenanigans as you suggest and also because we had a miserable season especially at home and appear to have no ambition. IF we do well many of the absentees won't be able to keep away

#15 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 14 August 2016 - 05:43 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 14 August 2016 - 10:43 AM, said:

STs are obviously down because of some off field shenanigans as you suggest and also because we had a miserable season especially at home and appear to have no ambition. IF we do well many of the absentees won't be able to keep away

Likewise a down turn in result and or the lose of one of our top players could see a few of the floaters joining them. The whole B****Y setup is on a knife edge multi millionaire or not.
God I hate this league.

#16 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:48 PM

View PostDave In Footie Heaven, on 14 August 2016 - 05:43 PM, said:

Likewise a down turn in result and or the lose of one of our top players could see a few of the floaters joining them. The whole B****Y setup is on a knife edge multi millionaire or not.

Thats because he's in it for the wrong reasons.

#17 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:17 PM

View PostDave In Footie Heaven, on 14 August 2016 - 05:43 PM, said:

Very true dave, keep Boli and Evans for the season and we'll stay up, maybe even just above mid table, but sell Boli before September and Ched in January to stem the blood loss, and believe me were gushing from the aorta, then the crowds will plummet. I cannot believe the powers that be don't understand what's happening at ground level. The ability of the CEO to sell our assets whilst being unable to grasp the problems of us ending to sell them beggars belief.
East stand second class citizen.

#18 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:19 PM

Sorry mate, applauding fans who stay away in protest is completely wrong . That's brinksmanship..By all means people can make their feelings felt but applauding the fans who are not turning up is, in my view, courting trouble and nobody will win in the long term. Bad post.n

#19 User is offline   Essex_Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:56 PM

Agree with pretty much everything said but thought Gardner was poor.
Essex Spireite

#20 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:20 AM

View PostSpire-Power, on 14 August 2016 - 08:48 PM, said:

Thats because he's in it for the wrong reasons.

He was always in it for those reasons but the fact is he's allowed cock up after cock up and now everyone stood with their fingers in the holes tryin to stop the flood .
God I hate this league.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users