• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Junior League Football Behaviour of Parents

#1 User is offline   THR 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

A few hours from now I'll be spectating, maybe even running the line, at a Junior League Football game. In fact, with 2 boys both playing in teams, I'll be spending half my Sunday doing it. At one time I'd have not fancied using up half a day doing such a thing - but it's amazing how life changes when you've got kids and you know how much it means to them. They love their football and I love to make that possible for them.

One thing that has surprised me is the behaviour of some parents at these Junior League Football games. The team my kids play for come against other teams from Sheffield, Rotherham, Chesterfield area. I know before we even set off that some of the places we are going to will have their fair share of knuckle-head spectators and that the kids and the officials (who are often kids themselves) are going to come in for some stick.

We played at Maltby a while back. The manager and coach of the other team questioned every decision the ref made just about. Shouting "Never!" if he gave an offside, or "Where?" - in a very aggressive manner.

In another game in a very Sheffield Wednesday tainted area - we had the club manager - whole body covered in SWFC tattoos, using the F and C words at the kids during the match. This is under 12's btw.

But the funniest one was at Eckington last year when our team were pummelling the locals. The manager was throwing a fit on the touchline and when half-time came he called them over...

"GERR EAR" "GERR EARRRRR"

Then he said...

"SOME OF YOU ARE NOT AS GOOD AS YOU THINK YOU ARE""

and then after a severe dressing down them some more he said...

"BELIEVE IN YOURSELVES"

:rolleyes:

I didn't realise until I started getting involved in Junior Football, that some parents behave so badly. It makes me wonder what kind of a bringing up some of these poor kids must have at home?

I'm pleased that my kids both play for a team where the manager and coaches don't swear at them and don't scream and shout at them either. In fact, I wouldn't have it any other way.

But, depending on the area, we come across some right foul-mouthed parents and managers and I just despair how this young generation of kids are going turn out when they've been given that kind of start in life?

This post has been edited by THR: 07 October 2012 - 06:37 AM

#2 User is offline   Duckys Moved 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Golf<br />Football<br />Fishing<br />Lager

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

Its shocking isn't it mate. I am a manager in the A division and some of it beggars belief and that goes for my team as well. Junior football has taken over my life and sometimes I wish it hadn't. Fed up of the hassle, some parents need to take a long hard look at themselves. No amount of money would make me become a referee.

#3 User is offline   SpireiteFitzy 

• The Inglorious One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield fc

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

I went to watch my little cousin play in a game for his under 10 club a few months back up in Doncaster. I generally found all the parents to be very supportive of their kids and even I found myself getting involved just throwing in a few tips here and there to help him out.

The problem I found that day were the coaches, and that's no disrespect meant to anybody who might manage a young kids team it was just these particular ones on the day. At that age I believe in letting the kids just enjoy the game and been supportive of them to aid their development better, but these ones were barking out orders and chastising their players and quite frankly giving out orders that were wrong. My cousin was playing as a defender and their coach was always yelling at him to back off his man off the ball and try tackling after he got the ball, the result been the kid up front had time to control the ball and start running at him before he could try getting a tackle in. I called him over at half time and told him to ignore his coach and stay tighter to this kid, just giving a yard incase he got turned, the result was their striker barely touched the ball second half.

Fair play to those who get involved in junior football though, it seems like a job where at times it can be a real rewarding experience to help kids progress with their football. It's something I'd love to do at somepoint when I'm a bit older.
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!

#4 User is offline   Duckys Moved 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Golf<br />Football<br />Fishing<br />Lager

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

View PostSpireiteFitzy, on 08 October 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

I went to watch my little cousin play in a game for his under 10 club a few months back up in Doncaster. I generally found all the parents to be very supportive of their kids and even I found myself getting involved just throwing in a few tips here and there to help him out.

The problem I found that day were the coaches, and that's no disrespect meant to anybody who might manage a young kids team it was just these particular ones on the day. At that age I believe in letting the kids just enjoy the game and been supportive of them to aid their development better, but these ones were barking out orders and chastising their players and quite frankly giving out orders that were wrong. My cousin was playing as a defender and their coach was always yelling at him to back off his man off the ball and try tackling after he got the ball, the result been the kid up front had time to control the ball and start running at him before he could try getting a tackle in. I called him over at half time and told him to ignore his coach and stay tighter to this kid, just giving a yard incase he got turned, the result was their striker barely touched the ball second half.

Fair play to those who get involved in junior football though, it seems like a job where at times it can be a real rewarding experience to help kids progress with their football. It's something I'd love to do at somepoint when I'm a bit older.

You don't know how frustrating that is !! You were probably right and the coach may have been a numpty however you don't watch him every week and he may be prone to getting too tight and getting turned easily.

You will probably disagree with me but if you do get involved when you are older you will realise how annoying that is.

#5 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

View PostDuckys Moved, on 09 October 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

You don't know how frustrating that is !! You were probably right and the coach may have been a numpty however you don't watch him every week and he may be prone to getting too tight and getting turned easily.

You will probably disagree with me but if you do get involved when you are older you will realise how annoying that is.

well said that man,i have had parents coaching from the other side of the pitch,it quickly got nipped in the bud as i wont stand for any nonsense,no matter what quality of coach there is and they should all be fa affiliated you have too respect them if you dont take the child too another team.people are absolutely clueless how much time goes in too grassroots football,my life is absolutely dominated by football to the point i think i have got ocd.

monday morning i pick up every bit of litter off the newbold site as it is an absolute disgrace after a sunday bottles sweet wrappers etc etc,afternoon prepare session plans for training,i even cut our pitch by hand as im paranoid if the grass gets slightly long out wide as i play with wingers,the missus thinks im crackers,my mobile phone now has had too have unlimited minutes and i used too get by on 200 and too add insult too injury the daughter has started playing bless her,so i have too find time to get to watch her as well as run 4 teams........lunatic.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#6 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

View PostDuckys Moved, on 07 October 2012 - 03:40 PM, said:

Its shocking isn't it mate. I am a manager in the A division and some of it beggars belief and that goes for my team as well. Junior football has taken over my life and sometimes I wish it hadn't. Fed up of the hassle, some parents need to take a long hard look at themselves. No amount of money would make me become a referee.

Once ref'd an under 18 league decider and on returning to the dressing room I was approached by a parent asking in a rather aggressive manner as to why I'd cautioned his son Terry Watt (not true but about right) anyway in response to his aggressive behaviour I asked if he was an official of the club his response "don't think of reporting me I know where you live"

To cut a long story short on leaving the ground I happened to follow their car and when it turned into a small estate I followed and drew up behind them opened my window and shouted "Iknow where you f'ing live know" I wished I'd got a camera to capture the look on his face
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users