• You cannot reply to this topic

General Election It Is Then... Rate Topic: -----

#1181 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 July 2024 - 08:23 AM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 18 July 2024 - 07:26 AM, said:

Farage since becoming MP for Clacton has spent 23 minutes there apparently - now in Milwaukee (of course)

Most MPs would have spent last week in London getting sworn in, finding offices, finding a place to stay, finding staff for their London office, then this week would have been around the Kings Speech and being there for that... they only get to go to the constituency in recess, or at weekends if they live there, or if they miss a vote. They will of course have to set up a constituency office and appoint staff but no doubt Farage has people to do that for him.

An MP cant be in two places, should they be in London where the votes take place and the decisions are made, or in the constituency where they have a team to deal with issues?

System is broken as all of those staff and offices are aligned to the existing MP so when one leaves or loses they are made redundant and then the new MP has to start again, what happened to TUPE? Same job, same area, different employer - that's TUPE all day long elsewhere...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#1182 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2024 - 09:11 AM

isleaiw1, on 18 July 2024 - 08:23 AM, said:

Most MPs would have spent last week in London getting sworn in, finding offices, finding a place to stay, finding staff for their London office, then this week would have been around the Kings Speech and being there for that... they only get to go to the constituency in recess, or at weekends if they live there, or if they miss a vote. They will of course have to set up a constituency office and appoint staff but no doubt Farage has people to do that for him.

An MP cant be in two places, should they be in London where the votes take place and the decisions are made, or in the constituency where they have a team to deal with issues?

System is broken as all of those staff and offices are aligned to the existing MP so when one leaves or loses they are made redundant and then the new MP has to start again, what happened to TUPE? Same job, same area, different employer - that's TUPE all day long elsewhere...

True dat - but he did promise to commit all his energy to the ?fine people of Clacton?

#1183 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2024 - 09:24 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 18 July 2024 - 08:23 AM, said:

Interesting point about TUPE. Presumably TUPE doesn't apply for some reasons as the Civil Service union would be all over it, I'd have thought. Maybe written into contracts that the employment is tied to the employment of the MPs?

Applied 'the other way' TUPE is something that has been used by some footballers to move clubs prior to the end of their contract (and without payment to their club) when a takeover has taken place.

#1184 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2024 - 10:01 AM

View Postdart in the crossbar, on 18 July 2024 - 09:24 AM, said:

Interesting point about TUPE. Presumably TUPE doesn't apply for some reasons as the Civil Service union would be all over it, I'd have thought. Maybe written into contracts that the employment is tied to the employment of the MPs?

Applied 'the other way' TUPE is something that has been used by some footballers to move clubs prior to the end of their contract (and without payment to their club) when a takeover has taken place.

I cant get to the route of why, it must be because they are employed by an individual and not a company. What it means is all the old staff are paid for at least a month and in some cases 4 months, to close down the old office. Good use of tax payers money?

Remember that is 30k for an exiting MP for those 4 months to close the office, which could be avoided if they handed all to the incoming MP, along with team to carry on processing the constituency stuff with no break...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#1185 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2024 - 04:06 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 18 July 2024 - 10:01 AM, said:

I cant get to the route of why, it must be because they are employed by an individual and not a company. What it means is all the old staff are paid for at least a month and in some cases 4 months, to close down the old office. Good use of tax payers money?

Remember that is 30k for an exiting MP for those 4 months to close the office, which could be avoided if they handed all to the incoming MP, along with team to carry on processing the constituency stuff with no break...

contractual, I'd think

#1186 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2024 - 04:43 PM

View Postdart in the crossbar, on 18 July 2024 - 04:06 PM, said:

contractual, I'd think

I'd be surprised if a contract can prevent TUPE applying since it is designed to protect employees... and reading this sheds no light as to why it doesnt apply for staff of MPs. Job continues, work continues, employer changes...

https://www.acas.org...gulations-apply

But most things to do with the workings of govt are a mystery to me!
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#1187 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2024 - 03:57 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 18 July 2024 - 04:43 PM, said:

I'd be surprised if a contract can prevent TUPE applying since it is designed to protect employees... and reading this sheds no light as to why it doesnt apply for staff of MPs. Job continues, work continues, employer changes...

https://www.acas.org...gulations-apply

But most things to do with the workings of govt are a mystery to me!

https://www.parliame...redacted_-1.pdf

is worth a look. Redacted, but contains the relevant bits I think

#1188 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2024 - 04:27 PM

View Postdart in the crossbar, on 19 July 2024 - 03:57 PM, said:

https://www.parliame...redacted_-1.pdf

is worth a look. Redacted, but contains the relevant bits I think

I think that explains the what, but I think my question is about the why....

Amazing that after an election, the only things raised on here are about how parliament works. The Torygraph has much more to say about the current position - from the basics of GCSE Economics and how we will find out that you cant ignore supply and demand, to why the public sector pension set up is like a great big Ponzi scheme - we cant afford to carry it on, but we cant afford to stop it as we cant afford to not get the revenue in now to pay what we owe now (or at least some of it!). As it says, the most unjust employment situation in the country but no one is screaming to end it from a union or labour perspective. So it feels that if public sector workers get tax payers money in that way then maybe private sector workers should too, cos we can afford that....

EoC seems to have run off knowing its easier to criticise others than defend what the new lot are doing... Funny old world... ;)
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#1189 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 19 July 2024 - 05:23 PM

isleaiw1, on 19 July 2024 - 04:27 PM, said:

I think that explains the what, but I think my question is about the why....

Amazing that after an election, the only things raised on here are about how parliament works. The Torygraph has much more to say about the current position - from the basics of GCSE Economics and how we will find out that you cant ignore supply and demand, to why the public sector pension set up is like a great big Ponzi scheme - we cant afford to carry it on, but we cant afford to stop it as we cant afford to not get the revenue in now to pay what we owe now (or at least some of it!). As it says, the most unjust employment situation in the country but no one is screaming to end it from a union or labour perspective. So it feels that if public sector workers get tax payers money in that way then maybe private sector workers should too, cos we can afford that....

EoC seems to have run off knowing its easier to criticise others than defend what the new lot are doing... Funny old world... ;)

He doesn't have to as you have been criticising one party in and out of power for years. You are the Tory version of EOC
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#1190 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2024 - 07:09 PM

View Postfishini, on 19 July 2024 - 05:23 PM, said:

He doesn't have to as you have been criticising one party in and out of power for years. You are the Tory version of EOC

criticise them all, just one needed a bit more on here for balance...

No comments on the pension scandal then? Total amount owed now almost ?5 trillion... to be paid by the next generation who have less chance of buying a house, have student debts to pay, and will be crippled with the highest tax bills to pay it...

Its not a party thing, they are all as bad as each other, so you can read it and have an opinion...

https://www.telegrap...9D%20head%20on.

or maybe this one?

https://www.telegrap...eeves-miliband/
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#1191 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 19 July 2024 - 07:17 PM

isleaiw1, on 19 July 2024 - 07:09 PM, said:

criticise them all, just one needed a bit more on here for balance...

No comments on the pension scandal then? Total amount owed now almost ?5 trillion... to be paid by the next generation who have less chance of buying a house, have student debts to pay, and will be crippled with the highest tax bills to pay it...

Its not a party thing, they are all as bad as each other, so you can read it and have an opinion...

https://www.telegrap...9D%20head%20on.

or maybe this one?

https://www.telegrap...eeves-miliband/

My point is your criticism of the Tory's while on here can be counted on one hand not so for labour. Like I said you are the opposite of EOC in IMO
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#1192 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2024 - 07:59 PM

View Postfishini, on 19 July 2024 - 07:17 PM, said:

My point is your criticism of the Tory's while on here can be counted on one hand not so for labour. Like I said you are the opposite of EOC in IMO

Well you are entitled to an opinion - even if its wrong. Just you dont see me asking my now Tory MP friend what the f*** his lot have been playing at. As for LDs they did a great job of getting more seats with no more seats and a crap manifesto...

The top and bottom is there was very little in any manifesto that I found exciting and worth voting for... a very sad state of affairs. But I did read them all and make an informed decision, not just say "red is my favourite colour"
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

Share this topic:

• (60 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users