Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Interest In Morsy - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interest In Morsy

#61 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:35 PM

View Postbonnyman, on 16 October 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

I think morsy does a lot of graft and I cannot see us having such a grip on games if we lost him and he was replaced by banks , I could see banks maybe replacing ryan but not morsy.

Everybody agrees that Sami is almost irreplaceable. This is about nominating somebody who MIGHT realistically be capable of replacing him.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#62 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:40 PM

View PostSpireiteFitzy, on 16 October 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

It's not all about 'the little old chesterfield mentality' though is it. Whilever we have the level of debts to service that we do then we won't have the best bargaining position. Say we want 2.5 million for him, if Cardiff came in with say 1.7 million paid in full then DA and the board might rule it in our best interest to take it to try and get the debt down. They won't want to run the risk of rejecting it and then Morsy losing form or getting a long term injury and not getting anything near that initial offer.

Peterborough don't have this problem and so can get away with testing clubs patience on their star players

I'm also pretty sure Dave allen knows that selling players on the cheap isn't the correct formula for servicing that debt, it's no different to paying wages the board will have a top end figure for them and a figure for players worth, we did not buckle against Leeds and we won't against anybody else.

View PostSpireiteFitzy, on 16 October 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

It's not all about 'the little old chesterfield mentality' though is it. Whilever we have the level of debts to service that we do then we won't have the best bargaining position. Say we want 2.5 million for him, if Cardiff came in with say 1.7 million paid in full then DA and the board might rule it in our best interest to take it to try and get the debt down. They won't want to run the risk of rejecting it and then Morsy losing form or getting a long term injury and not getting anything near that initial offer.

Peterborough don't have this problem and so can get away with testing clubs patience on their star players

If they offered 1.7 then I'm sure the board would sit down and think that's a lot more than 750k
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#63 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:44 PM

So all this is based on what some Cardiff fan's mate told him at work today?

Let's talk when there's a genuine bid on the table.
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#64 User is offline   Half Full 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:10 PM

In his latest podcast Phil Tooley quotes Paul Mitchel's view that the big money for mid fielders tends to be for those that can evidence goals and/or assists. Not something Sam has given how he plays for us so it might limit any fee. Clearly Slade has seen him and is aware how Paul Cook uses him so this may not be a factor if any of this is true.

What would be really difficult to replace is that he is always available for a pass close to the player with the ball and to be able to receive it under pressure. Yes Banks played well at Doncaster but he was not always available as an outlet in the way Sam is.

#65 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:30 PM

View PostThe Peoples Champion, on 16 October 2014 - 03:51 PM, said:

You talk a lot of sense so I will be very respectful in my answer.

However this a serious footballer and 3 million would be an absolute bargain.

Players like him do not come around very often.

He is THAT good mate trust me

Don't get me wrong, I think he is a super footballer and would take to the championship without breaking stride.

2 things that I think will limit the fee to around £1,000,00 (which is a huge amount of money)

1) He doesn't have many goals to his name. 111 games and just 6 goals. I know he is a player who is a bit deeper, but its a major consideration.

2) he hasn't got much experience at this level. Most of his first team appearances have been in L2.

A new hope.

#66 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:33 PM

View Postbonnyman, on 16 October 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

I think we have to get out of this little old chesterfield mentality if the players are good enough then they come at cost whoever they play for, I don't completely agree with Paul mitchell assessment of Morsy and his lack of goals I think morsy is more in the mould of a player like Gattuso who wins the ball looks after it and does the simple things really well he may improve his scoring rate as he drives forward but any goals scored by our 2 holders are bonus goals, I think morsy does a lot of graft and I cannot see us having such a grip on games if we lost him and he was replaced by banks , I could see banks maybe replacing ryan but not morsy.

You have to take what Mitchell says on board. he works in the game, and knows what attributes managers look for, and the sort of attributes that would attract the big bucks.

We just watch football as fans of the club, and base our opinions on the team we watch and what we read in the papers.

A new hope.

#67 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:28 PM

View Posta kick in the balls, on 16 October 2014 - 05:30 PM, said:

1) He doesn't have many goals to his name. 111 games and just 6 goals. I know he is a player who is a bit deeper, but its a major consideration.

not dissimilar to Roy Keane's ratio at Utd.

#68 User is offline   Norton Blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:all things Spireites - and Liverpool

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:31 PM

View PostLuSiVe, on 16 October 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

The constant scoring has got to stop soon, as has the multitude of penalties we've been getting.

Sorry i dont get that. Why should it stop? You make it sound like we have been lucky. In my eyes it will continue if we continue to play like we do, and see no apparent reason why it has to stop all of a sudden

#69 User is offline   Norton Blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:all things Spireites - and Liverpool

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:52 PM

View Postdim view, on 16 October 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

not dissimilar to Roy Keane's ratio at Utd.

I think Keane's ratio was 1 in 10, Morsy is 1 in 20? I think so quite a difference. However i would certainly put him in the same mould in terms of style.

#70 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:00 PM

View PostNorton Blue, on 16 October 2014 - 06:52 PM, said:

I think Keane's ratio was 1 in 10....

33 in 480.

#71 User is offline   LuSiVe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:02 PM

View PostNorton Blue, on 16 October 2014 - 06:31 PM, said:

Sorry i dont get that. Why should it stop? You make it sound like we have been lucky. In my eyes it will continue if we continue to play like we do, and see no apparent reason why it has to stop all of a sudden

Because, as I say, we're not going to keep getting penalties at the rate we're getting them, and football teams just aren't that consistent. We haven't had a really bad streak of performances yet amd we will before the season is over.

Johnson will go back to Villa, and it would be madness to suggest that Doyle's going to score 58 league goals this season, which is what he'd end up with if he carries on at this rate.

I'm not saying he won't score, just that the rate has got to slow down and goals will start coming at least partly from elsewhere.

#72 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:04 PM

View PostNorton Blue, on 16 October 2014 - 06:31 PM, said:

I guess that the loss of Johnson may have an effect unless Gardner/Banks/O'Shea can provide the same quality??
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#73 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:29 PM

View Postbonnyman, on 16 October 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

If we accept 750k in Jan for morsy you won't see me at the proact for a long time I will spit the dummy out big time it takes a lifetime to find players like these you have to maximise your income by selling them for top dollar 2.5 million if they want him.

If you haven't got sky sports you'd better get it as you might get bored. As good as we all think he is, we ain't going to get 2.5 million

#74 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:33 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 16 October 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

If you haven't got sky sports you'd better get it as you might get bored. As good as we all think he is, we ain't going to get 2.5 million

Still on a 3 year contract...i'd say it could be close ....£1.5m+

It's not as though we would lose him in the summer..we have been clever tying up our key players on good contracts..Doyle, Lee, Darikwa etc

#75 User is offline   Spired 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:40 PM

he's the best central midfielder in this division

he'd be in the top 10 in the league above. he could play in the premier league

this is not the same as Cooper we're talking a gulf in class here

#76 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:51 PM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 16 October 2014 - 07:33 PM, said:

Still on a 3 year contract...i'd say it could be close ....£1.5m+

It's not as though we would lose him in the summer..we have been clever tying up our key players on good contracts..Doyle, Lee, Darikwa etc

Talking of tying up players, wasnt there talk a few weeks ago now, of the club attempting to extend Jimmy Ryan's contract beyond the end of this season? If it doesnt happen before January, you can see the club taking the decision to take some cash before the deadline, rather than let him walk next summer. Hope we can keep him though.

#77 User is offline   essexspireman 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:57 PM

pity, he's not English otherwise Hodgson would be looking at him ;) he's better than Jack Wilshere

#78 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:00 PM

Does anyone think that if Doyle continues his form...international call up may soon be arriving???

#79 User is offline   Martyg 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:11 PM

View Postessexspireman, on 16 October 2014 - 08:57 PM, said:

pity, he's not English otherwise Hodgson would be looking at him ;) he's better than Jack Wilshere

He can play for England or egypt as I understand it
It's not sticking!!!

#80 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:20 PM

View PostMartyg, on 16 October 2014 - 09:11 PM, said:

He can play for England or egypt as I understand it

Correct.

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)