Available Players

#81 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:21 PM

trickytrevsfanclub said:

1558034364[/url]' post='1468278']
Valid points but I reckon it was Scott Boden who made the difference not that Bowden fella.

The goals against column drastically changed
A new hope.

#82 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:25 PM

View Posth again, on 16 May 2019 - 07:13 PM, said:

Martin Allen came to a club that had been in freefall for two seasons plus and at least got us bumping along the bottom with a series of draws. Never underestimate the difficulty of even getting that small success.
No doubt he signed some dross, as they all do, but he also signed our player of the season and Denton, the man partly responsible for our improved goal scoring, though of course the main credit goes to Scotty Bowden. In fact it was Bowden who turned the ridiculous number of draws into the wins that made the difference, nothing else changed much, and wasn't going to since players at our level aren't going to turn into brilliant ball-players no matter how good the coaching.
Judged by the harsh standards of football management MA was a failure, but he was far from the total failure that seems to have become the standard opinion.

Excellent, very perceptive post.

Sheridan is a step up though. Even if MA had been given permission to sign Boden or similar, I still think he had divisive problems with individual players and he wouldn't ever have had comparable success.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#83 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:37 PM

View Postdim view, on 16 May 2019 - 07:25 PM, said:

Excellent, very perceptive post.

Sheridan is a step up though. Even if MA had been given permission to sign Boden or similar, I still think he had divisive problems with individual players and he wouldn't ever have had comparable success.

Why do you think he had divisive problems with players?

#84 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:47 PM

Martin Allen came to a club that had been in freefall for two seasons plus and at least got us bumping along the bottom with a series of draws. Never underestimate the difficulty of even getting that small success.
No doubt he signed some dross, as they all do, but he also signed our player of the season and Denton, the man partly responsible for our improved goal scoring, though of course the main credit goes to Scotty Bowden. In fact it was Bowden who turned the ridiculous number of draws into the wins that made the difference, nothing else changed much, and wasn't going to since players at our level aren't going to turn into brilliant ball-players no matter how good the coaching.
Judged by the harsh standards of football management MA was a failure, but he was far from the total failure that seems to have become the standard opinion.

He was a near total failure. He had a top budget, signed his team of champions and winners, and could have taken us down. He was a disaster, shocking recruitment and management.

#85 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:52 PM

h again said:

1558034037[/url]' post='1468277']

I guess you failed to notice that “bumping along the bottom” in the relegation zone 22nd in the league and 5 points adrift of safety would have seen the club relegated for a third consecutive season.
A new hope.

#86 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:57 PM

Also, MAs master plan in signing Denton was to have Muggleton aim long throws at him. That's as good as it got, no linking Denton with a strike partner. Would MA have signed Boden? I'd guess not. Would he have signed anyone as effective as Boden?

#87 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:20 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 16 May 2019 - 07:37 PM, said:

Why do you think he had divisive problems with players?

Well, It's just an impression, but I think for starters he messed Jalal and Rowley about and he misled us about where players were based,
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#88 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:26 PM

View Postdim view, on 16 May 2019 - 08:20 PM, said:

Well, It's just an impression, but I think for starters he messed Jalal and Rowley about and he misled us about where players were based,

And himself. Claiming to have moved locally when in reality he was 20 miles the other side of Nottingham.

This post has been edited by Westbars Spireite: 16 May 2019 - 08:26 PM

#89 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:26 PM

back on topic, 9 out at vale
antony kay and Michael tongue plus Defender Theo Vassell, strikers Dan Turner, Danny Elliott and Dior Angus and midfielders Mike Calveley, Luke Hannant and Harry Benns

#90 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:34 PM

Other than staying the season out and getting us relegated, he was as close as you could get to a total failure. I don’t give him any credit for getting us some draws

#91 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:38 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 16 May 2019 - 08:34 PM, said:

Other than staying the season out and getting us relegated, he was as close as you could get to a total failure. I don’t give him any credit for getting us some draws

46 draws equals 46 points, equals relegation form.

#92 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:51 PM

Just for the record, Kevin Phillips has just been on bt sport doing analysis on pompey v makems, and did not say anything about signing for us, so we can put rumour to bed.

(just incase he's spotted in tesco as usually happens at this time of year).
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#93 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:10 PM

Probably already mentioned but Sid Nelson released by ‘Wall
JRID

#94 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:11 AM

View PostSearch and Destroy, on 16 May 2019 - 10:10 PM, said:

Probably already mentioned but Sid Nelson released by ‘Wall

Think he is otherwise engaged and looking forward to his Wembley appearance.
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#95 User is online   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:29 AM

I don’t want to get back on topic. I want to discuss how being 22nd in the league and 5 points from safety is ‘far from the total failure that seems to have become the standard opinion’ and how that view is perceptive. I’m really at a loss to explain it. Could somebody educate me, please? Because at this point it just reads like people saying things in order to be different from the majority view. H Again’s post is a complete rewriting of history. ‘Nothing much changed’ apart from us playing way more football on the deck, using Denton more effectively by having a competent strike partner up there next to him, switching between 4-4-2/3-5-2 depending on the game or available personnel, not using the long throw as a legitimate tactic, tightening up our defence and probably a myriad of other things you can think of. Additionally, it doesn’t matter if you sign decent players, if you can’t figure out a decent tactic/style of play to get the best out of them, you are a failure.

So confident, yet so blatantly wrong.

This post has been edited by Goku: 17 May 2019 - 05:36 AM

#96 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:37 AM

View PostDEATH, on 16 May 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

I guess you failed to notice that “bumping along the bottom” in the relegation zone 22nd in the league and 5 points adrift of safety would have seen the club relegated for a third consecutive season.

Call the post what it really is - either transparent trolling from a serial offender or a ridiculous re-writing of reality by the bloke who claimed Allen was 'turning things round'.

Or both.

But then he's a plethora of previous having sneered support for Saunders and belittled critics in the days before his exit. Only to then say he'd been axed because of four poor results.

Then he insisted Cauldwell was a 'reasonable appointment', insulted folk calling him a 'clown' and jeered his tenure wasn't the 'train wreck' pretty much everyone else dubbed it.

And of course it's no surprise that someone who all but celebrated relegation to L2 and described non league football as 'just another division' accepts 'bobbing along the bottom' of the fifth tier as some sort of success.

One thing, though; shouldn't someone remind him it was a Dave Allen he's repeatedly endorsed who agreed with the 'standard opinion' he seems to so pompously deride?
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#97 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:39 AM

View PostGoku, on 17 May 2019 - 05:29 AM, said:

I don’t want to get back on topic. I want to discuss how being 22nd in the league and 5 points from safety is ‘far from the total failure that seems to have become the standard opinion’ and how that view is perceptive. I’m really at a loss to explain it. Could somebody educate me, please? Because at this point it just reads like people saying things in order to be different from the majority view. H Again’s post is a complete rewriting of history. ‘Nothing much changed’ apart from us playing way more football on the deck, using Denton more effectively by having a competent strike partner up there next to him, switching between 4-4-2/3-5-2 depending on the game or available personnel, not using the long throw as a legitimate tactic, tightening up our defence and probably a myriad of other things you can think of. Additionally, it doesn’t matter if you sign decent players, if you can’t figure out a decent tactic/style of play to get the best out of them, you are a failure.

So confident, yet so blatantly wrong.

I'm not sure what he would have had to have done for the poster to have considered him a total failure.

Burnt the stadium down?

Caught with his hands in the till?

#98 User is online   Goku 

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:47 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 17 May 2019 - 05:39 AM, said:

I'm not sure what he would have had to have done for the poster to have considered him a total failure.

Burnt the stadium down?

Caught with his hands in the till?

No doubt when he’d inevitably taken us down he wouldn’t *really* have done much wrong. Just got unlucky. I mean, we didn’t finish the season with record low points. We had a few injuries. Nobody else could’ve done anything differently in his place. We tried in some games. Chesterfield are just so unlucky. Drat, drat and double drat.

It benefits H Again to rewrite history every time a manager gets sacked because he always backs them without fail.

This post has been edited by Goku: 17 May 2019 - 05:49 AM

#99 User is online   Goku 

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:50 AM

View Posttrickytrevsfanclub, on 16 May 2019 - 07:19 PM, said:

Valid points but I reckon it was Scott Boden who made the difference not that Bowden fella.

Which points precisely are valid and why are they valid?

#100 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:04 AM

View PostGoku, on 17 May 2019 - 05:50 AM, said:

Which points precisely are valid and why are they valid?

This'll be the same 'ttfc' who trashed Muggleton's lad before accusing others of being too tough on him.

Then excused his hypocrisy with 'I'm only trying to be nice' mewling that would've embarrassed a fluffy haired old nan.

The term 'birds of a feather' springs readily to mind...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

Share this topic:

• (19 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users