Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Where Will This Rank? - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where Will This Rank? Promotion and PC?

#41 User is online   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 23 February 2024 - 08:37 PM

View PostZigsuk, on 23 February 2024 - 06:52 PM, said:

Jim Mcguigan actually came to our school to give a talk. The only thing I remember was when he said 'even one of our best players like Tom Fenoughty only has the ball at his feet for a few minutes each game.' Which I suppose is probably true.

Yep, what you do off the ball is just as important as what you do when you get it. If you're not in a position to receive the ball, it's an option off the table.

#42 User is offline   Bobby Darling 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 February 2024 - 10:49 PM

View Postronpowellsbutler, on 22 February 2024 - 11:09 AM, said:

They sold him to Notts County on a Saturday and I never spoke to anyone all day, and I was at a wedding !

You missed us beating Oldham 4-1 then? I got my dad to ring the club up to see if it was correct. Randall always said he didn’t know until late Friday night.

#43 User is offline   The Rev. 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Writer; Football: Boxing: Supporting the Spireites.

Posted 23 February 2024 - 11:14 PM

View Postronpowellsbutler, on 23 February 2024 - 09:48 AM, said:

Rose tinted specs I’m sure but my favourite player was George Duncan.

Best pair of wingers in the league at the time, Duncan & Meredith...by the way RPB can you remember Barry Hutchinson, one of my favourite town players from the late fifties/ early sixties who never seems to be mentioned?

This post has been edited by The Rev.: 23 February 2024 - 11:15 PM

#44 User is offline   ronpowellsbutler 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Irony

Posted 24 February 2024 - 07:39 AM

View PostThe Rev., on 23 February 2024 - 11:14 PM, said:

Best pair of wingers in the league at the time, Duncan & Meredith...by the way RPB can you remember Barry Hutchinson, one of my favourite town players from the late fifties/ early sixties who never seems to be mentioned?

Certainly do, played midfield for ‘Town then as a striker for other clubs and scored loads.
Charlie Rackstraw would have been around at the same time, another of my favourites.

#45 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC,Travel,Real Ale,Music

Posted 24 February 2024 - 11:20 AM

View PostThe Rev., on 23 February 2024 - 11:14 PM, said:

If you remember these players personally you are a fair bit older than you look!I have been attending since 58/59 season but only started remembering names with the likes of Powell,Blake Holmes,Phelan but have never really been good at recalling names of players which at times detracts from the enjoyment a lot of them provided.

#46 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2024 - 11:40 AM

View PostOsborne again, on 23 February 2024 - 05:43 PM, said:

Albert was sometimes played as a winger,and I do remember him scoring the odd goal or two ,but for me, his defensive abilities were top notch and his signature sliding tackle was rarely mistimed. As you rightly said, he was the best we ever had, and Im sure the oppositions left winger would know he was in for a torrid time. Any fullback who wants to enhance his game could do a lot worse than watching film or telly footage of our Albert, because his positional sense was exact, his timing in the tackle was excellent and he could motor forwards too. The other Albert wasn't too bad either as Phelan could play across the backline.
John Osborne was a quality keeper who commanded his box,with most high crosses being snuffed out by the man in the green jersey. He was lightening quick with his reactions and if he could,he held shots, none of this batting them away like modern keepers. His distribution was good too.
Can't say too much about Danny Wilson that hasn't been said before, top player,top manager,but he wasn't backed here, a top bloke and he's one of our own, even if he did come from Wigan.

As far as I can remember after John Osborne left for wba ,for 25 k ,I went to wolves to see his first match ,and Albert Holmes played at old Scunthorpe ground Number 8 and up front where he scored in a 1-0 win ,seems to remember was it same-day Andy Kowalski or was that later?

#47 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tarn, cycling.

Posted 24 February 2024 - 11:43 AM

Such a tough one. I remember some of the Cox games (first match 22/4/78 Chester) and being a big Birch fan. I love the way Cook plays football, how he speaks about it and what we’ve achieved in the past and hope to achieve this season and beyond but for me (surprised to admit tbh) JD just edges it for me.

Maybe it’s nostalgia (or I was more consumed by it then….definitely shoutier!) but the 94/95 season with Lormor and Robinson and it’s eventual conclusion is such a stand out for me. Oh and 97 pretty much had one of the most memorable days of my life too!

And sometimes what he produced with not much , whilst not always exciting, was effective. But when backed (as he was) he so nearly had us to Wembley proper. Jeez we were so close weren’t we. 😢😤
"Can't change or choose your football club. Sorry son"

#48 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2024 - 12:17 PM

View Postronpowellsbutler, on 24 February 2024 - 07:39 AM, said:

Certainly do, played midfield for ‘Town then as a striker for other clubs and scored loads.
Charlie Rackstraw would have been around at the same time, another of my favourites.

I thinks Charlie is still alive. What great interview that would make on ‘Spireite Legends.’ A different era.

#49 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2024 - 12:24 PM

View PostBobby Darling, on 23 February 2024 - 10:49 PM, said:

You missed us beating Oldham 4-1 then? I got my dad to ring the club up to see if it was correct. Randall always said he didn’t know until late Friday night.

From memory we then played Scunthorpe in the league Cup the following midweek and the crowd increased by about 3000 on the back of us beating Oldham and we won that 5-0 i think

On the back of suddenly selling fans favourite Kevin Randall the day before the oldham match it was as they say a funny old game lol

#50 User is offline   Spireite93 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2024 - 10:52 AM

I think Saturday answered this question.... certainly for me

The emotion of the entire day felt like it had been building for 8 or 9 years for us older supporters

Those 14/15 and under now have one of the most memorable days of their life..... so far EIEIEIO!

It was perfect, I was disappointed it wasn't done last Saturday after Oldham, same on Wednesday night at Halifax, but can now look back and realise, it happened in the best way

And a fitting end in the last few moments before the whistle, telling Ashmore he is a W**ker!

#51 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 25 March 2024 - 10:59 AM

There was moment when the 3rd goal went in where the whole atmosphere around the occasion changed....it was a like the gloom of the previous seasons had lifted from above the stadium and we knew we'd won the league and we were back in the football league. It was like one huge collective moment of relief and the party could start.

#52 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend

Posted 25 March 2024 - 11:08 AM

I couldn’t cheer that third goal wildly, I was dumbstruck that we have a talent such as Dobra at the club

How is he not in the national team

This post has been edited by Search & Destroy: 25 March 2024 - 11:09 AM

JRID

#53 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 25 March 2024 - 11:10 AM

View PostSearch & Destroy, on 25 March 2024 - 11:08 AM, said:

I couldn’t cheer that third goal wildly, I was dumbstruck that we have a talent such as Dobra at the club

Incredible work by Paul Cook to not only get him signed up, but to convince him to stay for another 2 years. What a manager we have. Really makes you feel grateful, doesn't it?

#54 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC,Travel,Real Ale,Music

Posted 25 March 2024 - 11:16 AM

View PostJonB, on 25 March 2024 - 10:59 AM, said:

There was moment when the 3rd goal went in where the whole atmosphere around the occasion changed....it was a like the gloom of the previous seasons had lifted from above the stadium and we knew we'd won the league and we were back in the football league. It was like one huge collective moment of relief and the party could start.

Was it gloom lifting or was it like I have said through the season,that I have been cautious not allowing myself to let go because in the past as a Spireite for many decades there has always been the chance of total deflation,and there could have been some of that released by older fans as well after the third went in?

#55 User is offline   Spireite93 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2024 - 11:23 AM

View PostJonB, on 25 March 2024 - 10:59 AM, said:

It was a magical moment, there were so many from Saturday alone

#56 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 25 March 2024 - 11:27 AM

Dobra really displayed his talent to the full in that match; I said to those around me at half time that all PC needed to say in the dressing room was 'give the ball to Dobra '. The opposition couldn't get near him - not even near enough to foul him. What a talent he is at this, and higher levels. I think that third goal should be credited to him; I love Grimesy, but the way Dobra chased and stopped that ball when everybody in the stadium was convinced it was going out for a throw, then darted past the defender and got his shot in, was absolutely brilliant. It was going in before Grimes got to it anyway. I've got a feeling Dobra will be even better next season, as he seems to thrive more against better opposition.

#57 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2024 - 11:38 AM

View PostGoku, on 25 March 2024 - 11:10 AM, said:

Incredible work by Paul Cook to not only get him signed up, but to convince him to stay for another 2 years. What a manager we have. Really makes you feel grateful, doesn't it?

Within a couple of appearances after Dobra joined the club, it was clear to anyone with half a brain what he was about. A winner, who plays every game like it's his last, and I knew he was going to be a favourite of mine.

I still shake my head at some of the contributors on here who were posting up until Dob's signed his new deal, saying they could take him or leave him!

The common denominator behind a lot of our influential signings is Paul Cook.

#58 User is offline   Zigsuk 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2024 - 12:03 PM

Can't believe there are some who have doubts about Dobra. Walton reckoned he's overrated. Yes, he occasionally makes the wrong choice and hangs on to the ball too long but no one is perfect. His skill and close control at this level are phenomonal. Probably the most naturally talented player we have had since Alan Birch. Contract or not we will be lucky to keep him.

#59 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2024 - 12:08 PM

I looked back on some of the posts earlier in the season by some clowns on here….i hope they were eating large amounts of humble pie for Sunday lunch

All the usuals of course, those that think they know a lot about football

#60 User is offline   KevoBMMD 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2024 - 12:17 PM

I think when he first came to the club he was still a little immature and hot headed. This season has seen him focus more on his game and being part of a team rather than do everything himself. He has matured and improved so much and with the promotion will come his recognition as a contender for the full national team

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users