• You cannot reply to this topic

The Pitch

#41 User is offline   born in 1866 

• DOH !!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 January 2024 - 01:16 PM

View PostSecurity66, on 27 January 2024 - 07:57 PM, said:

See my edited post above, the full ravages of winter hadn’t taken hold by November & December.

So Sheff U last game at the SMH was on 11th December, which was before the "full ravages" of winter. Yet they are responsible for a pitch that has deteriorated in the last few weeks?
"It's that simple" © Paul Cook 2012

#42 User is offline   Security66 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2024 - 01:36 PM

View Postborn in 1866, on 28 January 2024 - 01:16 PM, said:

So Sheff U last game at the SMH was on 11th December, which was before the "full ravages" of winter. Yet they are responsible for a pitch that has deteriorated in the last few weeks?

Not helped the pitch tho has it and neither will playing 2 games on it it the first 2 weeks in February.
I’ll leave it tho for now as there’s for and against opinions on the subject and we are never going to agree.

#43 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2024 - 01:38 PM

View PostSecurity66, on 28 January 2024 - 12:19 PM, said:

We have had no postponements because of the sheer hardwork of the groundsmen whose job have being made a lot more difficult by the extra games being played on it.

So, nowt to do with the adverse weather conditions which have made other pitches locally and up and down the country unplayable then!!!

It’s all because Sheffield United’s youths have played 4 games on it before the bad weather set in.

Yet, we could have had a couple more games ourselves had we been drawn as the home team in both cup competitions.

Then, when chosen to host an England game of whatever age group do you advocate turning that opportunity down too?

End of the day, the ground is our biggest asset and the club needs all the money it can generate from it’s use as for several months of the year it is not used at all.

#44 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:SPIREITES ;oD

Posted 28 January 2024 - 06:26 PM

View PostSecurity66, on 28 January 2024 - 12:19 PM, said:

I also think the manager would be delighted with the points return as it’s absolutely astonishing but it doesn’t mean he’s happy with the playing surface.
We have had no postponements because of the sheer hardwork of the groundsmen who’s job have being made a lot more difficult by the extra games being played on it.

4 extra games have been played on it, before December. The pitch looked great 23rd December. However 5 home matches and a LOT of rain with some very cold snaps have decimated the pitch in January. Absolutely nothing to do with Sheffield United, all to do with the weather and having a lot of 1st team matches played on it.

#45 User is offline   WEareSAILING 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 28 January 2024 - 09:21 PM

5 home games in a month is a hell of a lot. We aren’t at home till the 10th now, we’ve got a cracking set of grounds staff who work around the clock. Expect the pitch to look and play a lot better on the 10th. I can imagine it’s frustrating for the players as they’ve played on a carpet all year till the last 3 weeks!

#46 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 28 January 2024 - 09:22 PM

View Postvalemadness, on 28 January 2024 - 06:26 PM, said:

4 extra games have been played on it, before December. The pitch looked great 23rd December. However 5 home matches and a LOT of rain with some very cold snaps have decimated the pitch in January. Absolutely nothing to do with Sheffield United, all to do with the weather and having a lot of 1st team matches played on it.

Just get shut of the blades eh?
East stand second class citizen.

#47 User is offline   FORZA AZZURRI 

• World Champions 1934*1938** 1982***2006****
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2024 - 10:02 PM

View PostWEareSAILING, on 28 January 2024 - 09:21 PM, said:

5 home games in a month is a hell of a lot. We aren’t at home till the 10th now, we’ve got a cracking set of grounds staff who work around the clock. Expect the pitch to look and play a lot better on the 10th. I can imagine it’s frustrating for the players as they’ve played on a carpet all year till the last 3 weeks!

Just watched some highlights of NL games and our pitch is by far the worst by a long way .
wondering if the drainage problems at the training ground meant they’re using it for training.
World Champions 1934 1938 1982 2006 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Euro Champions 1968” 2020”

#48 User is offline   Bankrobber 

• 83 goals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Arctic Sheets and Fields of Wheat

Posted 28 January 2024 - 11:52 PM

View PostFORZA AZZURRI, on 28 January 2024 - 10:02 PM, said:

Just watched some highlights of NL games and our pitch is by far the worst by a long way .
wondering if the drainage problems at the training ground meant they’re using it for training.

I’m sure they said on the podcast that there are two pitches at the training ground and only one has been affected by the drainage issue. I don’t think for one minute we will have been training at the stadium.
The greatest miscarriage of justice since my case against the producers of the Never Ending Story

#49 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2024 - 04:38 AM

View PostBenno Spire, on 27 January 2024 - 09:55 PM, said:

Divots fixed within 1 hour will repair within 48 hours, divots repaired after 24 hours can take 2-4 weeks to repair I have read somewhere.

I ain’t having that one.
God I hate this league.

#50 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2024 - 11:02 AM

View PostDIFH, on 29 January 2024 - 04:38 AM, said:

I ain’t having that one.

In his younger days Benno was an expert on dying his roots, sadly he doesn't have that option anymore.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#51 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker

Posted 29 January 2024 - 02:54 PM

View PostFORZA AZZURRI, on 28 January 2024 - 10:02 PM, said:

No definitely don't use the pitch for training. The team uses the training pitch all the time.

#52 User is offline   FORZA AZZURRI 

• World Champions 1934*1938** 1982***2006****
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2024 - 03:54 PM

View Postvalemadness, on 29 January 2024 - 02:54 PM, said:

No definitely don't use the pitch for training. The team uses the training pitch all the time.

Just with them says training ground was flooded / draining issues so being sorted maybe they have had to use it.
World Champions 1934 1938 1982 2006 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Euro Champions 1968” 2020”

#53 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2024 - 03:58 PM

They've trained up at Staveley on their 4G pitch i think on occasion.

#54 User is offline   Rogerwillis 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 January 2024 - 09:38 AM

2 weeeks rest should be a big help for the pitch!

#55 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker

Posted 30 January 2024 - 10:06 AM

View PostFORZA AZZURRI, on 29 January 2024 - 03:54 PM, said:

Just with them says training ground was flooded / draining issues so being sorted maybe they have had to use it.

They said it was a problem on 1 pitch, they have 2 full size pitches on the training ground. There's pictures and/or video of the team training at the training ground every week posted by the club on social media.
The stadium pitch has had 5 matches played on it in the space of just under 4 weeks and some torrential rain and severe frost. We only play 2 games at home next month, so it should get some rest and allow it to start recovering.
It is literally down to the amount of games played and the weather, not the club using it for training or Sheffield United U21's using it for matches (their last one was November). Literally down to the weather and overuse at the wrong time of the year.
Maybe the club can get an interview with the groundskeepers about the pitch 🤷

#56 User is offline   Rogerwillis 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 January 2024 - 01:16 PM

Good video on Twitter of the Bradford groundsmen talking about how a mid game temp drop and running on frosty grass can completely kill it creating bald patches

#57 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 30 January 2024 - 06:42 PM

Bradford have steep stands I wonder how much lack of sunlight contributes to the grounds and woe’s.
God I hate this league.

#58 User is offline   1978blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield Fc , Football in general . Music-Oasis , Queen and Pink Floyd. My Family and gardening.

Posted 30 January 2024 - 08:03 PM

View PostBankrobber, on 28 January 2024 - 11:52 PM, said:

I’m sure they said on the podcast that there are two pitches at the training ground and only one has been affected by the drainage issue. I don’t think for one minute we will have been training at the stadium.

Please don't tell me that we spent all that money on 2 brand new pitches and didn't sort the drainage first? If so that is ridiculous!!

#59 User is offline   Bankrobber 

• 83 goals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Arctic Sheets and Fields of Wheat

Posted 30 January 2024 - 08:07 PM

View Post1978blue, on 30 January 2024 - 08:03 PM, said:

Please don't tell me that we spent all that money on 2 brand new pitches and didn't sort the drainage first? If so that is ridiculous!!

I didn't, because they did.
The greatest miscarriage of justice since my case against the producers of the Never Ending Story

#60 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 30 January 2024 - 08:37 PM

View Post1978blue, on 30 January 2024 - 08:03 PM, said:

Of course they sorted the drainage, that was the main gripe.

It is obvious that the issue was because of faulty installation, this happens in astects of work and may only have required a small fix.

If people are going to make issues simple internet searches will show you that some times folk talk absolute cornflakes when grasping at straws.
God I hate this league.

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users