The Debate Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tarn, cycling.

Posted 04 June 2024 - 08:40 PM

One word answer?

Who won? Based purely tonight on delivery, sincerity and skill. Not tainted by your preconceived ideas.

This post has been edited by s42blue: 04 June 2024 - 09:11 PM

"Can't change or choose your football club. Sorry son"

#2 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2024 - 08:47 PM

Watched about 5 mins and was thoroughly hacked off by both so can I say those not present - Reform, Greens....

When I looked at the Telegraph live poll on who had won people over, funnily enough it was Sunak.. but I think that says more about the readership than the debate....
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#3 User is offline   turrhall 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2024 - 08:48 PM

Both shocking

#4 User is online   mr. smith 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2024 - 08:52 PM

View Posts42blue, on 04 June 2024 - 08:40 PM, said:

One word answer?

Who won?

the bbc or sky

#5 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2024 - 08:55 PM

View Postmr. smith, on 04 June 2024 - 08:52 PM, said:

the bbc or sky

channel 4 in my case!
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#6 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2024 - 08:59 PM

ITV

See the one word ethos has gone well

PS we know your dad was a toolmaker!

This post has been edited by s42blue: 04 June 2024 - 09:07 PM

#7 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2024 - 09:00 PM

It?s rammel. Cringing for them both

#8 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 04 June 2024 - 09:19 PM

View Posts42blue, on 04 June 2024 - 08:40 PM, said:

One word answer?

Who won? Based purely tonight on delivery, sincerity and skill. Not tainted by your preconceived ideas.

Lionesses.

(That's where my attention was...)
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#9 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 04 June 2024 - 09:24 PM

Also watched the football but seeing a few brief clips Starmer looked nervous and edgy, far from authoritative and the snap just published after the debate shows, putting party preference aside, Sunak won the first debate. Starmer seemingly flopped at his first attempt to shine.
East stand second class citizen.

#10 User is offline   turrhall 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2024 - 09:28 PM

UK gov had it 51% - 49% in Sunak's favour. Sure the margin of error would make it neck and neck

#11 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2024 - 09:57 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 04 June 2024 - 09:19 PM, said:

Lionesses.

(That's where my attention was...)

At least you have a one word answer👍 (ish)

This post has been edited by s42blue: 04 June 2024 - 09:57 PM

#12 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2024 - 09:57 PM

View Postturrhall, on 04 June 2024 - 09:28 PM, said:

UK gov had it 51% - 49% in Sunak's favour. Sure the margin of error would make it neck and neck

Telegraph had it 85 / 15 to Sunak!!
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#13 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2024 - 11:22 PM

View Postturrhall, on 04 June 2024 - 08:48 PM, said:

Both shocking

Thats 2 words

#14 User is offline   Andy Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Er..............Town!

Posted 05 June 2024 - 05:53 AM

Starmer.

Both were poor to be fair but Sunak behaves like a petulant child in these kind of things which really irritates me.

#15 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2024 - 07:48 AM

Andy Burnham and Rory Stewart would have fared far better than either of them. Blair would have done far better than Starmer. Ditto Johnson and Sunak.

Presumably Millbank are advising Starmer that he just needs to turn up and steer a fairly bland middle course in the debates. Or they are advising him to keep his powder dry and not say much until a later debate. Or Starmer is doing what he thinks is right against better advice.

Anyone with any personality and political credibility will eclipse them on Friday. Which means that they won't be eclipsed on Friday.

#16 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2024 - 08:13 AM

View Postdart in the crossbar, on 05 June 2024 - 07:48 AM, said:

Andy Burnham and Rory Stewart would have fared far better than either of them. Blair would have done far better than Starmer. Ditto Johnson and Sunak.

Presumably Millbank are advising Starmer that he just needs to turn up and steer a fairly bland middle course in the debates. Or they are advising him to keep his powder dry and not say much until a later debate. Or Starmer is doing what he thinks is right against better advice.

Anyone with any personality and political credibility will eclipse them on Friday. Which means that they won't be eclipsed on Friday.

Interestingly, the suggestion is that because Starmer is so far ahead the pressure was all on him not to mess up and Sunak had nothing to lose.... and of course, labour still havent issued their manifesto have they which means that having a debate when you dont have the policies in public domain to talk about is quite hard... so I guess he had to revert to "look at the last 14 years" "and "you can trust us"

Do the public need political credibility to decide who to vote for? Johnson won and he was as principled on politics as he was in his personal life - none. The Lib Dems seem to be going for the Raving Looney vote with the stunts on bikes and paddle boards, Reform are a protest party just to give Farage TV and media space to keep his profile up.... maybe the Greens are the most serious alternative now.
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#17 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 05 June 2024 - 08:14 AM

It was mostly inane.

#18 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 07 June 2024 - 09:29 PM

Westbars Spireite, on 05 June 2024 - 08:14 AM, said:

It was mostly inane.

Watched tonight. Jesus.

Farage was farage.

Plaid Cymric we?re irrelevant as the SNP (in terms outside Scotland)

The lass from the greens was OK but she can promise what she wants she won?t get in. She impressed me though.

Raynor and Mordant - the tittle tattle and spats between them was exactly what turns people off politics. He said she said, you said they said.you did this, yeah but you said you?re gonna do that. Petty bickering, blaming each other Not much about the vision. It wasn?t what we would do make things better it was just they did or said this. Terrible from both.

The lass from the liberals spoke well, again without the yoke of being held to account by being in power.

Political debate in this country is absolute toilet
A new hope.

#19 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 08 June 2024 - 07:58 AM

Wooden Spoon, on 07 June 2024 - 09:29 PM, said:

Watched tonight. Jesus.

Farage was farage.

Plaid Cymric we?re irrelevant as the SNP (in terms outside Scotland)

The lass from the greens was OK but she can promise what she wants she won?t get in. She impressed me though.

Raynor and Mordant - the tittle tattle and spats between them was exactly what turns people off politics. He said she said, you said they said.you did this, yeah but you said you?re gonna do that. Petty bickering, blaming each other Not much about the vision. It wasn?t what we would do make things better it was just they did or said this. Terrible from both.

The lass from the liberals spoke well, again without the yoke of being held to account by being in power.

Political debate in this country is absolute toilet

Flicked between England and this cringe-fest.

Equally demoralising.

As said Farage did his usual demagoguery. Division...hypocrisy...victimhood...and of course he's the only one 'brave enough to say it as it is'.

Or as the moral majority call it, 'peddle bigotry'.

But the scariest thing of all is we have a front line politician now advocating US style health insurance. The bigger your wallet, the better your chances. And if you can't afford the gold star standard? Well, best of British.

Daftest part is it's the very demographic needing the NHS most largely supporting him.

Then the Tory tactic is clearly just to shout out lies, then shout down challenge. Thought the usually excellent Mishal Hussein was weak in allowing it, too.

Angie Raynor was like a kid on best behaviour, though. I got the impression she really wanted to fire back but tried to adopt the adage about being dragged down to others levels. Meaning she ended up neither here nor there.

Daftest part is Farage is the best ally Labour have. Other than the utterly incompetent Sunak himself, of course. They'll win seat after seat after seat simply because he'll split the anti immigrant vote.

The irony is beyond hilarious...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#20 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 08 June 2024 - 08:10 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 08 June 2024 - 07:58 AM, said:

Flicked between England and this cringe-fest.

Equally demoralising.

As said Farage did his usual demagoguery. Division...hypocrisy...victimhood...and of course he's the only one 'brave enough to say it as it is'.

Or as the moral majority call it, 'peddle bigotry'.

But the scariest thing of all is we have a front line politician now advocating US style health insurance. The bigger your wallet, the better your chances. And if you can't afford the gold star standard? Well, best of British.

Daftest part is it's the very demographic needing the NHS most largely supporting him.

Then the Tory tactic is clearly just to shout out lies, then shout down challenge. Thought the usually excellent Mishal Hussein was weak in allowing it, too.

Angie Raynor was like a kid on best behaviour, though. I got the impression she really wanted to fire back but tried to adopt the adage about being dragged down to others levels. Meaning she ended up neither here nor there.

Daftest part is Farage is the best ally Labour have. Other than the utterly incompetent Sunak himself, of course. They'll win seat after seat after seat simply because he'll split the anti immigrant vote.

The irony is beyond hilarious...

I didn?t see any of it but ?the very demographic needing the NHS most largely supporting him?, I assume you mean the working class ?man on the street?..yet the ?moral majority?, , where do you get that % and view of morality from btw? ?Call it peddling bigotry? ..
So the working ?man? and the poor and needy are supporting a bigot? Magnanimous of you to make that assumption for them.
And “splitting the anti immigrant vote” well I’m sure many of those will be voting Labour won’t they, after Starmer says he’ll slash the numbers. Looking forward to seeing Labours actual wording of that in their manifesto and see how it compares to other parties. And once again why, If all those coming here illegally are fleeing war, famine and persecution why do we need to slash the numbers? Unless its like many peoples genuine concerns that Labour realise the numbers are unsustainable and that many coming here shouldn’t be?

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 08 June 2024 - 08:36 AM

East stand second class citizen.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users