General Election It Is Then... Rate Topic: -----

#81 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 May 2024 - 04:59 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 24 May 2024 - 04:04 PM, said:

To no one's real surprise... https://www.bbc.co.u...es/c288xxvrdz7o

And Corbyn will be re-elected as he's a hugely popular local MP.

However his Labour exit makes two key points: firstly, it underlines the party's move back towards the centre ground of politics and, second, it places into sharp focus Rishi 'The Drip' Sunak's inability to discipline tories openly endorsing Farage...

adding new bits but ignoring the challenges laid down, really does think he is a politician this EoC chap!

Could you post links to the Tory MPs endorsing Farage... and outline which ones are standing again...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#82 User is offline   Blue roan lily 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC.

Posted 24 May 2024 - 07:12 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 23 May 2024 - 06:19 PM, said:

Barely one day in and Sunak's circus continues unravelling before our very eyes... https://bylinetimes....ordinary-voter/

https://www.independ...r-b2550218.html

As much as I can?t stand the tories and what they?ve done to this country for the last 14 years do you honestly think Starmer is gonna make things better?
This country is on its arse, whether it?s town centres or potholes on the road,
We are in big trouble and I doubt any government of any persuasion can save it?

#83 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2024 - 07:19 PM

View PostBlue roan lily, on 24 May 2024 - 07:12 PM, said:

As much as I can?t stand the tories and what they?ve done to this country for the last 14 years do you honestly think Starmer is gonna make things better?

Pretty much what someone wrote in the Telegraph today, not a nats breath between them in their economic policies and as we have zero money, the only way we can generate more is to get the economy growing again, and none of their policies will do that...

Maybe we need Liz back ;)
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#84 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 24 May 2024 - 07:22 PM

View PostBlue roan lily, on 24 May 2024 - 07:12 PM, said:

He?s going to be the least popular newly elected PM in history!
Not a good bench mark to start from..from what should be a period of elation for the country and Labour supporters, it’s not really such a popular appointment!
Some will view it as a new dawn, the more perceptive amongst us will see it as change for changes sake.

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 24 May 2024 - 07:24 PM

East stand second class citizen.

#85 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 24 May 2024 - 08:16 PM

If you heard a SKS speech without knowing who it was you?d have no idea if he was Labour or Tory

Which is a good thing
JRID

#86 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 24 May 2024 - 08:26 PM

View PostSearch & Destroy, on 24 May 2024 - 08:16 PM, said:

If you heard a SKS speech without knowing who it was you?d have no idea if he was Labour or Tory

Which is a good thing

He?s no idea himself, so it would be wrong to expect the unsuspecting to know!
At least we can comfort ourselves knowing out leftist friends are voting Tory!

#87 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 24 May 2024 - 08:34 PM

View PostValley Blues, on 24 May 2024 - 09:39 AM, said:

You mean like Starmers plan to control immigration by smashing the organised crime groups smuggling folk into the country?
All done by teatime and back for tea and medals.

Can?t believe no one else thought of that straightforward solution.

Sunak is woeful and his days are obviously numbered.

However, whether folk agree or disagree with his Rwanda plan, and whether the left like it or not there will be large swathes of the UK population that do agree with it, it?s actually an attempt to press forward with something decisive. It is highly controversial and the only way it could actually be judged in its numerical success would be over time, which it won?t have.

Starmer has said he will bin it immediately and set up a border force to smash these gangs at source. Easy as that.

Anyone else fear his actual response will be a lot of fannying about and blaming the Tories for what?s gone before, rather than take any positive action?

I won?t be voting Tory. Horrible bunch and proven themselves wholly untrustworthy.

But Labour under Starmer?

I?m not sure what?s worse, attempting something decisive yet controversial or failing to offer any structure and plan as to how these magical results are going to be achieved.

I was reading the other day that over the past couple of years Labours support hasn?t actually increased. The Tory support has fallen through the floor.

There are millions of Tory voters that, at this time, simply aren?t casting their vote. They are so disillusioned with the Tories but wholly underwhelmed by Labour.

Where will they go at the ballot box?

Starmers got a huge chance and it would be nothing short of a complete political embarrassment if he doesn?t become the next PM but I think he has a hell of a lot of work to do over the next few weeks.

Time will tell.

Very understandable re the Rwanda plan view. ?Smashing the gangs? ..yep worked wlll with the drug gangs didn?t it? The means to stop illegal immigration will need to be tough, the Rwanda plan is that, and like you say many agree with it, great start for Starmer if he ditches Rwanda on his first day in office when it?s showing signs of working.
Oh and just for election clarification I am extremely anti Labour.

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 24 May 2024 - 08:35 PM

#88 User is offline   Blue roan lily 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC.

Posted 24 May 2024 - 08:46 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 24 May 2024 - 08:34 PM, said:

Very understandable re the Rwanda plan view. ?Smashing the gangs? ..yep worked wlll with the drug gangs didn?t it? The means to stop illegal immigration will need to be tough, the Rwanda plan is that, and like you say many agree with it, great start for Starmer if he ditches Rwanda on his first day in office when it?s showing signs of working.

Whether you?re ?anti Labour? or not, this country needs a change now to the political system or we are in big trouble..
The days of ? my grandad voted Labour so I will ? have gone.
Both lead parties will run this country into the ground ( Sunak?s crew have made a decent fist of that for the last 14 years )
We need a change and we need it on July the 4th?

#89 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 24 May 2024 - 08:59 PM

View PostBlue roan lily, on 24 May 2024 - 08:46 PM, said:

Whether you?re ?anti Labour? or not, this country needs a change now to the political system or we are in big trouble..
The days of ? my grandad voted Labour so I will ? have gone.
Both lead parties will run this country into the ground ( Sunak?s crew have made a decent fist of that for the last 14 years )
We need a change and we need it on July the 4th?

Change will happen I agree, the Tories shot themselves in the foot, or rather slit their own throats, when they went against the results that gave them the red wall and got rid of Boris. Regardless of what Labour voters on here think that sounded the Tory death knell.
But “the days of my grandad voted Labour so will I” have gone! Not in some embedded with the doctrine they haven’t!

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 24 May 2024 - 09:00 PM

#90 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 24 May 2024 - 09:02 PM

Gove- gone, Leadsom - gone, they really don't want to own the mess they've created do they, who's next?
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#91 User is online   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 24 May 2024 - 09:24 PM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 24 May 2024 - 09:02 PM, said:

Gove- gone, Leadsom - gone, they really don't want to own the mess they've created do they, who's next?

It started as a sardonic gag, but increasing numbers of respected journo's are concluding the early election is because Sunak himself has had enough.

Though rumours he submitted a letter of no confidence in himself are, as yet, unconfirmed...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#92 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 24 May 2024 - 09:50 PM

Which is all pointing to the Tories losing the election rather than Labour winning it. Not a good bench mark to start from.
Sort of like Mansfield gaining promotion to L1, a minor victory that?ll soon be eclipsed when the natural order is restored.

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 24 May 2024 - 10:01 PM

#93 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 24 May 2024 - 10:22 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 24 May 2024 - 08:34 PM, said:

How can you be anti Labour when they haven?t been in power for over a decade?
And how exactly is Rwanda working when not one person or flight has gone yet has cost ?68 million this year alone?

#94 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 24 May 2024 - 10:31 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 24 May 2024 - 10:22 PM, said:

How can you be anti Labour when they haven?t been in power for over a decade?
And how exactly is Rwanda working when not one person or flight has gone yet has cost ?68 million this year alone?

I?ve become extremely anti Labour due to the Corbyn years, I?m amazed at how many Labour stalwarts cheered Corbyn but now cast him aside like the devil. Double standards, and re Rwanda, it?s starting to have an effect but Starmer will stop it.

#95 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 24 May 2024 - 11:25 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 24 May 2024 - 10:31 PM, said:

I?ve become extremely anti Labour due to the Corbyn years, I?m amazed at how many Labour stalwarts cheered Corbyn but now cast him aside like the devil. Double standards, and re Rwanda, it?s starting to have an effect but Starmer will stop it.

Of course he?ll stop it- anyone sane would do- it?s the most stupid idea this century.

Corbyn has long gone. That?s like people hating the Tories because of Ian Duncan Smith

#96 User is online   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 25 May 2024 - 05:37 AM

Remembering our "Labour stalwart" friend 'Mr M' voted Corbyn in '17.

Before "casting him aside".

In favour of Boris the Liar.

Boris...the...Liar.

Then spending several years defending, excusing, or even championing the most corrupt and incompetent government in memory.

Which he's now "casting aside" in favour of...'Reform'.

Reform.

A party he can't differentiate from the BNP. Despite recently describing them as "vile".

Dubbing him the Lee Anderson of this forum seems entirely legitimate..

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 25 May 2024 - 05:44 AM

#97 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 25 May 2024 - 06:12 AM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 24 May 2024 - 11:25 PM, said:

Of course he?ll stop it- anyone sane would do- it?s the most stupid idea this century.

Corbyn has long gone. That?s like people hating the Tories because of Ian Duncan Smith

Tbh looking at my reply in the cold light of day I?ve become more anti Labour due to Starmer rather than Corbyn.

#98 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 25 May 2024 - 06:18 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 25 May 2024 - 05:37 AM, said:

Remembering our "Labour stalwart" friend 'Mr M' voted Corbyn in '17.

Before "casting him aside".

In favour of Boris the Liar.

Boris...the...Liar.

Then spending several years defending, excusing, or even championing the most corrupt and incompetent government in memory.

Which he's now "casting aside" in favour of...'Reform'.

Reform.

A party he can't differentiate from the BNP. Despite recently describing them as "vile".

Dubbing him the Lee Anderson of this forum seems entirely legitimate..

But there?s the difference I did vote Corbyn in 17, but learnt my lesson, you couldn?t, your hands are tied electorally, and voted for him again in 19. And I?ve not made up my mind yet who to put my mark against in 6 weeks time, but when I do I?ll more than happily share my choice on here, it may well be reform, but it won?t be Labour, not while that useless u turning, lack of principles, flip flop is in charge.

Oh and can someone please sort out the ?.?? Issue?

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 25 May 2024 - 06:26 AM

#99 User is online   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 25 May 2024 - 06:28 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 24 May 2024 - 04:59 PM, said:

adding new bits but ignoring the challenges laid down, really does think he is a politician this EoC chap!

Could you post links to the Tory MPs endorsing Farage... and outline which ones are standing again...

I posted a link to Reece-Mogg stating Farage should be embraced into the Tory party only last week, Ian.

Then re-visit the coverage of last Autumn's conference.

But anyway this is, what; you're twelfth contribution to this thread? Thirteenth, maybe? Yet other than a sentence or two barely paying lip service to how useless the Tories are, it's been an unrelenting taunt fest at Labour.

Nothing about the Lib' Dem's you've previously endorsed - to the point of repeatedly excusing their jaw dropping hypocrisies which in part brought us to where we are today, nothing about a 'Reform' largely populated by "loons, fruit cakes and closet racists" (though increasing numbers are being 'outed') and nothing about any other outfit either.

Meaning it's little more than a parallel of the 'End of Labour' topic you so enthusiastically began. No doubt struggling to type with fingers so desperately crossed in hope.

You want precise and detailed policy announcements? Well good luck with that. Not gonna happen. From any of 'em. It'll be an endless repetition of key mantras and vague aspirations instead.

My guess? You'll vote Lib'Dem' again. Probably saying it's the best way of ousting the Tory. Before yet another catalogue of ducking and dodging their countless failings. Or questions why you demand much more of Starmer than Davey. And amidst eye rollingly inevitable pension references and yet more anti Labour prejudice, of course.

All that said I really am flattered by the personal mentions peppering your posts. Thanks, mate. In fact I must be second only to Angie Raynor in your utterly unbiased and totally balanced observations...

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 25 May 2024 - 06:52 AM

#100 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 25 May 2024 - 07:12 AM

Sir U turn now drops plans to scrap university fees despite it being one of his pledges when running for the leadership of the party in 2020, now saying he believed in it at the time. And the shadow education Secretary, yesterday saying on tv, that to raise the current fee ?would be unpalatable? but refusing to rule it out!
It seems the time to make actual decisions rather than snipping from the sidelines is getting closer.
Oh it?s going to be good!

Share this topic:

• (32 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users