Traffic Management At Donkey Derby Crazy for AOldham

#41 User is offline   Fletch89 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 17 August 2023 - 08:46 AM

View PostGoku, on 17 August 2023 - 08:41 AM, said:

awful period in my life mate, glad the horror is over

absolute nightmare mate, some nights (@ 5pm ish) i was queuing from Ducky lodge in Calow to get through them!!

#42 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 August 2023 - 08:56 AM

Get a bike guys

#43 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 17 August 2023 - 09:01 AM

View PostGoku, on 17 August 2023 - 08:41 AM, said:

awful period in my life mate, glad the horror is over

Yes nipping down to the Arkwright Arms for a couple was absolute murder. Becoming tea total was on the agenda.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#44 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 17 August 2023 - 09:03 AM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 17 August 2023 - 08:56 AM, said:

Get a bike guys

Are you back into your slang mode?
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

#45 User is offline   johnd51 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2023 - 10:43 AM

For a country where public services are all going to the dogs it is amazing how many roadworks there have been around Town during the last year. Given my experience of driving back from Oxford, the motorways are the same.
How can DCC be unable to maintain the road network it is responsible for and also afford to build a generally unnecessary cycle lane beggars belief. The public consultation was a joke, Crow Lane is closed (who cycles up there?) and the wide tarmac paths through Somersall Park and Walton Dam spoil the rural environment. DCC got some grant money and wanted to spend it for the benefit of a tiny minority.

#46 User is offline   SocraticCFC 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2023 - 10:53 AM

View Postjohnd51, on 17 August 2023 - 10:43 AM, said:

For a country where public services are all going to the dogs it is amazing how many roadworks there have been around Town during the last year. Given my experience of driving back from Oxford, the motorways are the same.
How can DCC be unable to maintain the road network it is responsible for and also afford to build a generally unnecessary cycle lane beggars belief. The public consultation was a joke, Crow Lane is closed (who cycles up there?) and the wide tarmac paths through Somersall Park and Walton Dam spoil the rural environment. DCC got some grant money and wanted to spend it for the benefit of a tiny minority.

It is a Tory council so you'd expect it would be for a few, not the many. On the whole, Chesterfield is a sh**show for traffic engineering. The mess on Whitt Moor roundabout and Donkey Derby sums it up. I shudder to think what's going to happen on Saturday if this mess is still there.

#47 User is offline   Snowflake McBedwetter 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2023 - 10:59 AM

Not an accident.

The government will inconvenience and tax you out of your car. Price you out of home ownership. Create smart cities and social credit systems whilst promoting backwards technology that causes energy prices to skyrocket, and then... you'll be reliant on them. For everything.

#48 User is offline   Paragon of Virtue 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2023 - 11:04 AM

View Postjohnd51, on 17 August 2023 - 10:43 AM, said:

Sureley the point of improving the cycling infrastructure is to turn the tiny minority into a majority?

#49 User is offline   Rodney's Moustache 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2023 - 12:27 PM

[quote name='Paragon of Virtue' timestamp='1692259980' post='1762935']
Probably because most people drive like lunatics around cyclists
[/ Riding on a pavement is not only illegal it’s a danger to pedestrians who are walking legitimately on a pedestrian walkway.

#50 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:SPIREITES ;oD

Posted 17 August 2023 - 12:52 PM

The whole of Bolsover is being dug up because of Virgin at the moment.
Just an FYI, you can check what planned roadworks there are by looking at
https://one.network/

#51 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:SPIREITES ;oD

Posted 17 August 2023 - 12:56 PM

The roadworks at the Donkey Derby appear to be due to the National Grid and only in place until today 🤞 so should be an issue on Saturday.

#52 User is online   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 17 August 2023 - 03:00 PM

View PostWebster, on 17 August 2023 - 07:22 AM, said:

Juist how many people in Holymoorside have bikes to justify the high speed double cycle lane into Town
Surely they would have saved a load of money and disruption by taking it through somersall park to actually join it up to the existing route to the train station

They are joining it to somersall park from storrs road traffic lights by going down linden to the park. Original plan was to come out of the park and over the fields to holymoorside but that never happened and there have been various theories as to why it’s not going that why but not sure what the true reason is.

Chatsworth road is plenty wide enough on the stretch they are doing it to take a wide bike lane and two lanes for cars. Hopefully it’ll slow some of the traffic down as many saw the wider road as an excuse to drive way too fast.

#53 User is online   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 17 August 2023 - 03:02 PM

View PostDancingwilldoit, on 17 August 2023 - 08:21 AM, said:

The 40 signs on the road were still there yesterday afternoon. If anyone is pulled for speeding at 40 they would get away with it.

Whereabouts? We’ve been away for a week but sure that when we left the ones on the road had gone I thought as they have resurfaced between storrs road and holymoorside which covered them. All the road side ones went a while back and replaced with a few temp 30mph ones.

#54 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2023 - 03:49 PM

View PostJonB, on 17 August 2023 - 03:02 PM, said:

Whereabouts? We’ve been away for a week but sure that when we left the ones on the road had gone I thought as they have resurfaced between storrs road and holymoorside which covered them. All the road side ones went a while back and replaced with a few temp 30mph ones.

30 down there is ridiculous. Mind it used to be national speed limit all way from Bolsover to Chesterfield (apart from a bit through Ducky and Arkwright) but now you struggle to find somewhere to go over 40. Cars get better brakes and more safety systems, speed limits go down... But then its 40 through Bramley Vale (shops, junctions, pedestrian crossing) and 30 up Glapwell Hill...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#55 User is offline   Looker-on 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2023 - 04:54 PM

All clear at the Donkey Derby roundabout, now.
It's nice to be able to Trust again.

#56 User is offline   Dancingwilldoit 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2023 - 06:03 PM

View PostJonB, on 17 August 2023 - 03:02 PM, said:

When you enter the 30 zone from Baslow there's a big 40 on the road on the rumble strips. Then about halfway through the cones there's another.

#57 User is offline   Alice Cooper 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield Football Club,
    The Apollo moon landings,
    Military aircraft,
    Annoying my wife.

Posted 17 August 2023 - 06:15 PM

View PostValley Blues, on 17 August 2023 - 08:33 AM, said:

I think one of the things H&S have got right is a buffer zone between workers and a live traffic lane.

You want to try standing next to a 44 tonne truck as it thunders by at 50mph and feel like it’s going to pull you under it.

Then do this whilst concentrating and operating heavy machinery yourself.

There’s no way on this earth you could have someone working on a grass verge directly next to vehicles travelling by within a few feet.

{You want to try standing next to a 44 tonne truck as it thunders by at 50mph and feel like it’s going to pull you under it.}

And that is precicely what happened to a work colleague of mine when cycling home from work one afternoon some years ago. He was only in his twenties. So tragic.
Until I'm 6 feet under baby I don't need a bed
Gonna live while I'm alive I'll sleep when I'm dead

#58 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 18 August 2023 - 07:59 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 17 August 2023 - 03:49 PM, said:

30 down there is ridiculous. Mind it used to be national speed limit all way from Bolsover to Chesterfield (apart from a bit through Ducky and Arkwright) but now you struggle to find somewhere to go over 40. Cars get better brakes and more safety systems, speed limits go down... But then its 40 through Bramley Vale (shops, junctions, pedestrian crossing) and 30 up Glapwell Hill...

Impatient boy racers don't you love em. Life must be so bad if you need to get somewhere a minute or two earlier.
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#59 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2023 - 08:38 AM

On roundabouts the planning of only allowing one lane access to Whittington and Brimington from both

Sheffield Road and Dunston Road at the Whittington Moor roundabout is madness at peak times

Traffic stretches back far more than it did before as most try to adhere to the latest lane markings

the only bonus is once you are at the roundabout the new red areas mean you can now get further out into the roundabout when attempting to join the traffic flow although some motorists as I see it still hold back roughly at the old joining point to the roundabout

#60 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 18 August 2023 - 08:44 AM

View Postfishini, on 18 August 2023 - 07:59 AM, said:

Impatient boy racers don't you love em. Life must be so bad if you need to get somewhere a minute or two earlier.

Exactly, it's not about being a minute earlier it's about ego or getting another delivery in, be it parcel or drugs.
Why are these cars with look at me (well, listen to me) pop pop or bang bang exhausts allowed, totally pointless, cause frustration and may cause devastating shock to other road users/pedestrians.
If your exhaust made such noises in the 70s you'd spend time with exhaust tape and filler trying to avoid a fine for creating unnecessary noise.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users