• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Take On Today

#1 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 March 2024 - 09:13 PM

Well first and foremost well done to the gasoline bar for putting the game on, great atmosphere for those who could not get tickets , shame about the coverage in this absolute tin pot league and i feel sorry for all teams in it amateur football it is.

Anyway bizzarre line up imo, if you had picked 100 spireites im pretty sure a few would have picked a better line up than the gaffer, he is only human though we all make mistakes, funnily enough his line up may have unearthed a gem as i thought hobson looked like a player willing to have a go , got a bit of that handsworth spite in him ( set of dirty scumbags )and i liked his freshness.

Defence...sweet jesus and mary chain, the centre halves were shocking...jamie jamie jamie...dont step in ..twice you did it and let the much cleverer than you players slip the ball in behind, watch the vìdeo kid and see how bad you looked..you are at best the no2 to a far better centre half next season.

Forward 4 ...I like quiggers but league player he is not , how has he got an extra year a blind man on a galloping horse can tell he isnt that standard, that isnt a slight on him its just reality we all have our ceiling levels at sport.

Jacobs..lets hope he has only a year, if anybody has seen moneyball , he would be out in an instant age wise and stat wise he aint doing enough for a class dropper..bring in a younger 10 and bring the average age down

Apart from that up the town and **** off national league
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#2 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2024 - 10:11 PM

View PostBonnyman, on 16 March 2024 - 09:13 PM, said:

Well first and foremost well done to the gasoline bar for putting the game on, great atmosphere for those who could not get tickets , shame about the coverage in this absolute tin pot league and i feel sorry for all teams in it amateur football it is.

Anyway bizzarre line up imo, if you had picked 100 spireites im pretty sure a few would have picked a better line up than the gaffer, he is only human though we all make mistakes, funnily enough his line up may have unearthed a gem as i thought hobson looked like a player willing to have a go , got a bit of that handsworth spite in him ( set of dirty scumbags )and i liked his freshness.

Defence...sweet jesus and mary chain, the centre halves were shocking...jamie jamie jamie...dont step in ..twice you did it and let the much cleverer than you players slip the ball in behind, watch the vìdeo kid and see how bad you looked..you are at best the no2 to a far better centre half next season.

Forward 4 ...I like quiggers but league player he is not , how has he got an extra year a blind man on a galloping horse can tell he isnt that standard, that isnt a slight on him its just reality we all have our ceiling levels at sport.

Jacobs..lets hope he has only a year, if anybody has seen moneyball , he would be out in an instant age wise and stat wise he aint doing enough for a class dropper..bring in a younger 10 and bring the average age down

Thanks Bonny

I tend to think that Cook will use the rest of this season to fully assess his squad and confirm to himself exactly what’s needed for next season. I would also think his mind is close to 99% made up and his little wanted list has already been presented to the Board.

He has given extended contracts to certain players for a reason and I understand talks are going on with other players who are out of contract this season.

Additionally, Cook likes to work with players and improve them. On this note,, Quigley is a better player now than he was when he signed or, in fact, last season. He faired very well against Watford away in the cup and he might be even better when CBs stop seeing how far his shirt will stretch or, hopefully, refs actually see how far it is being stretched. In a poor team performance today I understand he got an assist and scored a penalty too. I’m hopeful he might step up further and prove a valuable squad member as he has done this season despite his doubters. I do think, though, we need a third option up front different to both Grigg and Quigley - one with strength and pace to give us that option of playing a ball over the top when our defence is absorbing pressure. This has basically been the only way teams have got at us and it would be nice to return that favour on occasion.

#3 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 16 March 2024 - 10:17 PM

Im absolutely 100 percent behind the improvement joe has done for his game, he appears a top bloke and im pleased as punch he has developed in his time with us, but and it is a huge but i dont see him in any capacity in the league above, its isnt me not rating him as all the players we have are exceptional at this level..but i just dont have him as a league player.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#4 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 16 March 2024 - 10:21 PM

Total agreement bonny he has improved on last season but in a league above would only be a bit part player .

#5 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 16 March 2024 - 11:04 PM

Have to agree, that contract extension was bizarre
JRID

#6 User is offline   Bobby Darling 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2024 - 11:22 PM

View PostBonnyman, on 16 March 2024 - 10:17 PM, said:

Im absolutely 100 percent behind the improvement joe has done for his game, he appears a top bloke and im pleased as punch he has developed in his time with us, but and it is a huge but i dont see him in any capacity in the league above, its isnt me not rating him as all the players we have are exceptional at this level..but i just dont have him as a league player.

Quigs will/should always be a popular and respected Town player. But he hasn’t improved from last season, he just plays for a much better team. Outside of a poor goal return he can’t play centre forward/ target man. He creates wrestling bouts when balls are played to his head. He rarely comes short. He can’t head. His l ayoffs are 50/50. Pleased today for him. He insisted on taking the penalty and slotted and celebrated brilliantly. He should work on his game and listen to Grigg and Robbo.

#7 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2024 - 11:27 PM

View PostBobby Darling, on 16 March 2024 - 11:22 PM, said:

Quigs will/should always be a popular and respected Town player. But he hasn’t improved from last season, he just plays for a much better team. Outside of a poor goal return he can’t play centre forward/ target man. He creates wrestling bouts when balls are played to his head. He rarely comes short. He can’t head. His l ayoffs are 50/50. Pleased today for him. He insisted on taking the penalty and slotted and celebrated brilliantly. He should work on his game and listen to Grigg and Robbo.

his goal return this season isn't bad, come on be fair and he has won us points this season, i'm not advocating he is the striker for the future but give him credit please for the role he has played this campaign

#8 User is offline   DerbySpireite59 

• DerbySpireite57
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 08:24 AM

View PostSearch & Destroy, on 16 March 2024 - 11:04 PM, said:

The extension kept Joe happy, and settled.
He's a good 3rd option in L2 anyway.
If he wants to leave, or we want him to leave, we could well get a transfer fee from a NL club. His stock is quite good in this division.

Seems quite sensible to me. It's interesting how we all see the same things differently. It'd be boring if we didn't. LOL
"No one is 100% good, nor 100% evil"

#9 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 09:27 AM

In the end, we all see different players in a different light but what the management really want is a squad that supports each other, doesn’t sulk when left out, continues to put the effort in during training, and gives their all when called upon. We have that at present and I would think Cook’s philosophy of “rather sign a good lad than a good footballer” will continue as it has played a large part in our success this season.

#10 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 09:40 AM

View Postdtp, on 17 March 2024 - 09:27 AM, said:

In the end, we all see different players in a different light but what the management really want is a squad that supports each other, doesn’t sulk when left out, continues to put the effort in during training, and gives their all when called upon. We have that at present and I would think Cook’s philosophy of “rather sign a good lad than a good footballer” will continue as it has played a large part in our success this season.

Looking at that in another way its reputed that york and Oldham had bigger player budgets than us at the start of the season and look where that has got them trying to sign the billy big ****** players thinking that would win them the league this season

Of course who can forget that Oldham were crowned champions of the league back at the end of August lol

#11 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 17 March 2024 - 09:40 AM

View PostDerbySpireite59, on 17 March 2024 - 08:24 AM, said:

The extension kept Joe happy, and settled.
He's a good 3rd option in L2 anyway.
If he wants to leave, or we want him to leave, we could well get a transfer fee from a NL club. His stock is quite good in this division.

Seems quite sensible to me. It's interesting how we all see the same things differently. It'd be boring if we didn't. LOL

I agree giving Quigley a new contract was a good business move. We could have run his contract down and he goes for free. Now we have 2 options. He either is part of the L2 squad and used as required or is sold to a NL club for a decent fee who are pushing for promotion and we use the money to invest in another players wages who we sign for free.
Have passport will travel

#12 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 11:32 AM

View PostSearch & Destroy, on 16 March 2024 - 11:04 PM, said:

Not really, because he has become a value asset…..so if someone came in for him (say Yeovil), they’d pay a fee for him.

And no one can say that this season Quigley hasn’t been made a difference in winning us games

Clever by Cook

#13 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 12:23 PM

Is suspect Cook already knows who he wants for next season. If his recruitment is as good as last seasons, we can be confident we will be challenging again.

#14 User is offline   Charlie Rickshaw 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 12:32 PM

Recruitment is key, Cookie got it right this season and no reason to believe he won’t get it right before we return to the EFL. The defence has been our Achilles heal and would be surprised if this area wasn’t strengthened.

#15 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 17 March 2024 - 12:39 PM

View Postjack bauer, on 16 March 2024 - 11:27 PM, said:

his goal return this season isn't bad, come on be fair and he has won us points this season, i'm not advocating he is the striker for the future but give him credit please for the role he has played this campaign

Well said his goal return is good for the minutes he has played. I don’t understand some people with their ‘players are either sh*t or they are world beaters’ attitude and then bend the facts to back up their particular preferences. Some players will step it up in League 2 and others won’t.
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#16 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 17 March 2024 - 01:35 PM

View Postwhittman, on 17 March 2024 - 09:40 AM, said:

Looking at that in another way its reputed that york and Oldham had bigger player budgets than us at the start of the season and look where that has got them trying to sign the billy big ****** players thinking that would win them the league this season

Of course who can forget that Oldham were crowned champions of the league back at the end of August lol

We'll all laugh our nuts off if they fail to make the play-offs won't we!
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#17 User is offline   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 01:48 PM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 17 March 2024 - 01:35 PM, said:

We'll all laugh our nuts off if they fail to make the play-offs won't we!

Looking at their fixture list run in, only an implosion at Aldershot could I see them scraping 7th, and that’s being generous. Hopefully the sides above them keeping picking up points and the door is slammed shut.
Management Accepts New Ideas And Criticism...When Im Managaging think MANIAC!!

#18 User is offline   1978blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield Fc , Football in general . Music-Oasis , Queen and Pink Floyd. My Family and gardening.

Posted 17 March 2024 - 02:08 PM

View PostBobby Darling, on 16 March 2024 - 11:22 PM, said:

He's definitely improved ! The goals he as scored this season he wouldn't have in previous seasons , he as scored numerous 1 on 1s this season which again he wouldn't have previously. Give him some credit for a change.

#19 User is offline   PapiSauron 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 02:25 PM

View PostBonnyman, on 16 March 2024 - 09:13 PM, said:

Just a quick one on Jacobs, I think he’s our second top assister this season. He isn’t as exciting as Dobra, Colclough, Berry however his quality on the ball in terms of passing is probably the best in the team. One of the only players who plays through balls centrally behind the defensive line, usually everyone plays down the wings instead of trying to get a ball in behind the centre backs.

I would say that sometimes he seems to stroll about a bit and doesnt look like he’s putting in 110%.

Yesterday though he came deep a lot to try and get the ball and make things happen in the first half as we couldn’t get the ball up to our attacking players.

I think he gets a hard time from our fans however imo he offers something different to anyone else in the team and is best used centrally with 2 wingers who like to run at defenders either side of him.

#20 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC,Travel,Real Ale,Music

Posted 17 March 2024 - 02:32 PM

View PostPapiSauron, on 17 March 2024 - 02:25 PM, said:

Just a quick one on Jacobs, I think he’s our second top assister this season. He isn’t as exciting as Dobra, Colclough, Berry however his quality on the ball in terms of passing is probably the best in the team. One of the only players who plays through balls centrally behind the defensive line, usually everyone plays down the wings instead of trying to get a ball in behind the centre backs.

I would say that sometimes he seems to stroll about a bit and doesnt look like he’s putting in 110%.

Yesterday though he came deep a lot to try and get the ball and make things happen in the first half as we couldn’t get the ball up to our attacking players.

I think he gets a hard time from our fans however imo he offers something different to anyone else in the team and is best used centrally with 2 wingers who like to run at defenders either side of him.

I would say that is a honest overview of someone that actually sees what a player does throughout a game,and I think you would also be in agreement regarding how much work Grigg gets through in a game in the same vein.Itseems that some fans just pick a name out of a hat at the start of the season and decide no matter what to decry their efforts throughout the season.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users