• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Halifax Away

#1021 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 22 March 2024 - 04:09 AM

View PostHalifax Aussie, on 22 March 2024 - 12:14 AM, said:

You're a good side, but you didn't do enough in my opinion to earn a draw. It was an extremely entertaining game though. Defensively you were atrocious almost all game. I'm sure those at the game will
Vouch for that.

Having not been there, I completely accept your judgement. I will point out, though, that I wasn't suggesting that we weren't atrocious, especially in defence, which we very clearly were. What I was suggesting is that the state of the pitch possibly adversely affected our style of play more than it affected the Halifax players for some reason. Anyway, water under the bridge, and no excuses acceptable for failure to clinch the deal on Saturday.

#1022 User is offline   azul 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2024 - 09:31 AM

View PostHalifax Aussie, on 22 March 2024 - 12:14 AM, said:

You're a good side, but you didn't do enough in my opinion to earn a draw. It was an extremely entertaining game though. Defensively you were atrocious almost all game. I'm sure those at the game will
Vouch for that.

If Grigg had scored the sitter at 3-1 I’d have put money on us to go and get a result but our efforts at 4-1 was just too little, too late.
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#1023 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 22 March 2024 - 09:39 AM

View Postazul, on 22 March 2024 - 09:31 AM, said:

If Grigg had scored the sitter at 3-1 I’d have put money on us to go and get a result but our efforts at 4-1 was just too little, too late.

Yep there was that at 3-1 made worse by the fact they pretty much went up the other end and made it 4-1 then when it was 4-2 we had the spell for 10\15mins that included numerous chances including the Quigley pinball effort, Palmers header, think the Grigg 1 on 1 chance where you feel that had it gone to 4-3 then you feel that with the away fans up and getting behind the team, Halifax on the back foot we could have really piled on to make it 4-4.

#1024 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2024 - 09:40 AM

View Postazul, on 22 March 2024 - 09:31 AM, said:

Grigg missed two in front of our end, the one on one and the one inside the six yard box from Clements, not sure whish was worse but on another day he scores both of them

#1025 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 22 March 2024 - 09:43 AM

View PostCFC91, on 22 March 2024 - 09:40 AM, said:

Grigg missed two in front of our end, the one on one and the one inside the six yard box from Clements, not sure whish was worse but on another day he scores both of them

The one he slid onto in the 6yd box he made to good a contact on sidefooting it when ideally he needed to just get the bottom of his foot onto it. As you say he's scored the majority of those all season. The 1on1 chance he never seemed to have the ball settled to make it easier for himself. Berry was similar later on suggesting running through that patch of the pitch wasnt easy but he was able to bundle it into the corner.

#1026 User is offline   Halifax Aussie 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 22 March 2024 - 09:50 AM

View PostJonB, on 22 March 2024 - 09:39 AM, said:

Yep there was that at 3-1 made worse by the fact they pretty much went up the other end and made it 4-1 then when it was 4-2 we had the spell for 10\15mins that included numerous chances including the Quigley pinball effort, Palmers header, think the Grigg 1 on 1 chance where you feel that had it gone to 4-3 then you feel that with the away fans up and getting behind the team, Halifax on the back foot we could have really piled on to make it 4-4.

Don't forget the two by us cleared off goal line in 1st and 2nd half. I just felt defensively you were too open and even if you had got it back to 4-3, there were still opportunities for us to do you on the counter again. It was a pulsating match that's for sure.

#1027 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 22 March 2024 - 10:06 AM

View PostHalifax Aussie, on 22 March 2024 - 09:50 AM, said:

Don't forget the two by us cleared off goal line in 1st and 2nd half. I just felt defensively you were too open and even if you had got it back to 4-3, there were still opportunities for us to do you on the counter again. It was a pulsating match that's for sure.

Yeh I think chances wise things were pretty even, could easily have been a 5-5/6-6 draw. Just thinking that at both 3-1 and 4-2 we missed big chances to really go and put you on the back foot. Especially in that 10/15min spell at 4-2 where you were rocking a bit. Once you rode that out you looked more settled.

#1028 User is offline   stainlessstephen 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2024 - 11:08 AM

I was there. We lost, we were simply off the mark, and our defence was found wanting.

Halifax were better than us on the night, and deserved to win.

I've moved on, it's yesterday's news and onto the next one.

It wouldn't surprise me if in the lottery of the playoffs, Halifax came good. Just please keep Oldham down, or better still send them packing in the playoffs if they qualify.
Mainframe... Uncle Eric is helping police with their enquiries

#1029 User is offline   Vivo 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2024 - 10:30 PM

View PostHalifax Aussie, on 22 March 2024 - 09:50 AM, said:

Good luck in the playoffs mate. I hope you win and come back up with us.
I went the other night and I thought it was a great game and that your team played very well, especially in taking your goals so well.
50 years since I last visited the Shay and what a difference between then and now. Nice ground, shame about the pitch the other night though. At least this visit I didn’t have a gang of Halifax fans chasing me through your indoor market before the game lol.

Good luck.

#1030 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 01 April 2024 - 11:20 AM

Halifax game postponed again today, that’s both their scheduled games since they cashed in against us called off
Have passport will travel

#1031 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 01 April 2024 - 11:36 AM

Interesting stat from Phil Tooley the other week; we’ve conceded 4 goals something like 4 times in the NL before Halifax, all on artificial pitches. Then at a quagmire at Calderdale.

#1032 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 07 April 2024 - 04:54 PM

Rugby league taking place on their pitch today….judging by the pics on the below tweet they may as well call off their home game with Oldham on Wednesday night now. Not that I care much now but surely there has to be some responsibility on the rugby team to not wreck it or the council take some ownership and not have it wrecked. You wouldn’t have played football on it under the same circumstances.

https://x.com/fchtma...tFgOBKfesD-h06w

#1033 User is offline   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2024 - 04:57 PM

View PostJonB, on 07 April 2024 - 04:54 PM, said:

Rugby league taking place on their pitch today….judging by the pics on the below tweet they may as well call off their home game with Oldham on Wednesday night now. Not that I care much now but surely there has to be some responsibility on the rugby team to not wreck it or the council take some ownership and not have it wrecked. You wouldn’t have played football on it under the same circumstances.

https://x.com/fchtma...tFgOBKfesD-h06w

Can’t believe these could potentially nab a playoff place, and the fact they could potentially finish 5th and grab the home playoff spot. You’d definetly argue that it’s an unfair advantage for the home side.
Management Accepts New Ideas And Criticism...When Im Managaging think MANIAC!!

#1034 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 07 April 2024 - 05:13 PM

View Postgordon_brittas, on 07 April 2024 - 04:57 PM, said:

Can’t believe these could potentially nab a playoff place, and the fact they could potentially finish 5th and grab the home playoff spot. You’d definetly argue that it’s an unfair advantage for the home side.

Less of an advantage than a home playoff on a plastic pitch!

#1035 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 07 April 2024 - 05:13 PM

View Postgordon_brittas, on 07 April 2024 - 04:57 PM, said:

I can, had them at 5/1 to make the play offs a few weeks ago knowing their pitch is a great leveller!

#1036 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC,Travel,Real Ale,Music

Posted 07 April 2024 - 06:52 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 07 April 2024 - 05:13 PM, said:

I can, had them at 5/1 to make the play offs a few weeks ago knowing their pitch is a great leveller!

Is leveller the correct word to describe their quagmire?

This post has been edited by HaslandBlue58: 07 April 2024 - 06:53 PM

#1037 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 07 April 2024 - 06:57 PM

View PostHaslandBlue58, on 07 April 2024 - 06:52 PM, said:

Is leveller the correct word to describe their quagmire?

Lol

It stopped us playing our usually passing game (or rather should have stopped us trying to play it!)

Share this topic:

• (52 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users