Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Ex Spireite Signs For ..... - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (345 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ex Spireite Signs For .....

#4861 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:00 AM

Former Spireite George Milner, after a great couple of years at Belper, has joined Mickleover Sports along with another highly-rated team-mate.
Usually this would be accepted as par for the course, with Sports being at the higher level and backed by a local caravan magnate. However, with Sports having recently appealed for funds to see them through the Covid crisis with crowdfunding appeals etc (Belper didn't) it has left a very bad taste in the mouth that Mickleover have apparently been using that money to fund inflated contracts which other local non-league clubs can't match.
These go to eleven.

#4862 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:33 AM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 21 July 2020 - 10:00 AM, said:

Former Spireite George Milner, after a great couple of years at Belper, has joined Mickleover Sports along with another highly-rated team-mate.
Usually this would be accepted as par for the course, with Sports being at the higher level and backed by a local caravan magnate. However, with Sports having recently appealed for funds to see them through the Covid crisis with crowdfunding appeals etc (Belper didn't) it has left a very bad taste in the mouth that Mickleover have apparently been using that money to fund inflated contracts which other local non-league clubs can't match.

Yes that's not right.

I suspect Matlock may be doing the same with TWELVE new signings.

Incidentally I read they are dropping Sports from their name and will now just be Mickleover FC

#4863 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:36 AM

View Postmoondog, on 21 July 2020 - 10:33 AM, said:

Yes that's not right.

Incidentally I read they are dropping Sports from their name and will now just be Mickleover FC

After having the begging bowl I was tempted to have a pop on Twitter but decided to leave it.

#4864 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:41 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 21 July 2020 - 10:36 AM, said:

After having the begging bowl I was tempted to have a pop on Twitter but decided to leave it.

Most are from the Manchester area too (the new manager's neck of the woods) so must be being compensated for the additional travelling time, although I did hear they have held training sessions that way, which may be permanent going forward

#4865 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:49 AM

https://mickleoverfc...ind-the-sports/
This appeal from 11th July. "All money given will be spent on facility improvements."
.....and the money we would otherwise have reserved for facilities will be spent on giving inflated contracts to players.
These go to eleven.

#4866 User is online   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:59 AM

Is the new American chairman bloke chucking any cash in?

#4867 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 21 July 2020 - 03:50 PM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 21 July 2020 - 10:00 AM, said:

Always rated George as a youngster, good luck to him.

lindave

#4868 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 21 July 2020 - 04:59 PM

View PostJonB, on 21 July 2020 - 10:59 AM, said:

Is the new American chairman bloke chucking any cash in?

I don't think so, got the impression he might once he's paid a visit and met the committee at the first game where he said he'd attend, but you never know.

#4869 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 21 July 2020 - 05:27 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 21 July 2020 - 10:36 AM, said:

As far as I can see they have only retained four players rom last year. Given the way non league is financed at that level, does anyone think the new signings are being a payed until the season starts
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#4870 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 21 July 2020 - 05:31 PM

View Postmoondog, on 21 July 2020 - 10:41 AM, said:

Most are from the Manchester area too (the new manager's neck of the woods) so must be being compensated for the additional travelling time, although I did hear they have held training sessions that way, which may be permanent going forward

I read the new strikers are 6’5” and 6’4” and the average height of the new signings are 6’1”

No idea what style of football they are planning
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#4871 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 21 July 2020 - 06:52 PM

View Postazul, on 21 July 2020 - 05:31 PM, said:

I read the new strikers are 6’5” and 6’4” and the average height of the new signings are 6’1”

No idea what style of football they are planning

I wonder if they were recommended by a local scout who knows the Scottish market?
These go to eleven.

#4872 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2020 - 06:58 PM

Yes that's not right.

'Sports' because the club traditionally fielded cricket and football teams. Until relatively recent years, both were of a similar standing and quality. The leased ground was obtained for both sports and set up to provide space for both roughly on the same plot.

All a bit like Sheff Utd / Matlock Town.

#4873 User is online   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:30 PM

View Postdart in the crossbar, on 21 July 2020 - 06:58 PM, said:

'Sports' because the club traditionally fielded cricket and football teams. Until relatively recent years, both were of a similar standing and quality. The leased ground was obtained for both sports and set up to provide space for both roughly on the same plot.

All a bit like Sheff Utd / Matlock Town.

There is still a cricket team with their firsts playing at a decent level in the Derbyshire county league and they are now mickleover cc when I’m sure they used to be mickleover sports cc so looks like they beat the football lot to the dropping of sports from the name.

If you consider county cricket as the same as the football league then minor counties perhaps the same as the national league they are at the 4th rung of the cricket pyramid so could you argue they are similar?

#4874 User is offline   TheMatlockFan 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2020 - 11:40 PM

Yes that's not right.

I'm happy to confirm given I was behind the fundraising that no money has gone in to the wage budget, its par of the course for a manager to want to put his stamp on the team especially given how we were struggling on the pitch when he had the chance, it is pretty normal for non league. The funds raised went towards making up on loss of gates and other usual incomes and thanks to people's generosity we have managed to ride the rough waves. We have promoted other local teams from the areas fundraising efforts including Wirksworth Ivanoe, Bakewell Town & Tansley FC as we feel its vastly important to protect non-league football in Derbyshire.

The majority of the Manchester based lads will be travelling together or picked up by a member of management. Around half the squad is Derbyshire based. The majority of our staff are volunteers including groundsmen. No big time Charlie's or money getting chucked about at Matlock, we only want players who want to play for the club and understand what we are about.

This post has been edited by TheMatlockFan: 21 July 2020 - 11:44 PM

#4875 User is offline   spireitenag 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2020 - 06:53 AM

View PostTheMatlockFan, on 21 July 2020 - 11:40 PM, said:

I'm happy to confirm given I was behind the fundraising that no money has gone in to the wage budget, its par of the course for a manager to want to put his stamp on the team especially given how we were struggling on the pitch when he had the chance, it is pretty normal for non league. The funds raised went towards making up on loss of gates and other usual incomes and thanks to people's generosity we have managed to ride the rough waves. We have promoted other local teams from the areas fundraising efforts including Wirksworth Ivanoe, Bakewell Town & Tansley FC as we feel its vastly important to protect non-league football in Derbyshire.

The majority of the Manchester based lads will be travelling together or picked up by a member of management. Around half the squad is Derbyshire based. The majority of our staff are volunteers including groundsmen. No big time Charlie's or money getting chucked about at Matlock, we only want players who want to play for the club and understand what we are about.

Thanks for the update and good luck for next season,when ever it may be.

#4876 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 22 July 2020 - 08:28 AM

That's fair enough James, thanks for setting the record straight

#4877 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:07 AM

That is all fair enough but for other clubs which did not fund raise, it’s a bit galling to see other clubs offer their players better money after fund raising ‘for facilities’. Belper have presumably had to adjust the playing budget to cater for any Covid shortfall. Sure, the option to ask people for cash was there, but they didn’t see the need at the time. Matlock enquired about Danny South, Belper’s colossal captain, according to the Belper website. He wouldn’t have come cheap for that level.
These go to eleven.

#4878 User is offline   TheMatlockFan 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:13 AM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 22 July 2020 - 09:07 AM, said:

That is all fair enough but for other clubs which did not fund raise, it’s a bit galling to see other clubs offer their players better money after fund raising ‘for facilities’. Belper have presumably had to adjust the playing budget to cater for any Covid shortfall. Sure, the option to ask people for cash was there, but they didn’t see the need at the time. Matlock enquired about Danny South, Belper’s colossal captain, according to the Belper website. He wouldn’t have come cheap for that level.

I can't speak on behalf of other clubs and I have a lot of time for Belper Town, I have numerous friends who play for them and they have recently revealed they will be building a 3G training pitch as well as a grant for pitch maintenance. For us it was never about firming that wage budget, it was about covering the short fall so we could afford to pay the electric, ground rent etc...

You have to prove to JustGiving where the funds are going and what on before they let you withdraw them so it has to be exactly as outlined in the description. I take great pride in the clubs transparency, we have no millionaire owner we are a family club that thrives as part of our community and we were blown away and continue to be so by the generoisty and kindness of companies and individuals. In return, if you own an NHS ID and you come to the game and show it at the turnstile then you get free entry as our way of thanking those on the front line.

#4879 User is offline   spireitenag 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:18 AM

View PostTheMatlockFan, on 22 July 2020 - 11:13 AM, said:

I can't speak on behalf of other clubs and I have a lot of time for Belper Town, I have numerous friends who play for them and they have recently revealed they will be building a 3G training pitch as well as a grant for pitch maintenance. For us it was never about firming that wage budget, it was about covering the short fall so we could afford to pay the electric, ground rent etc...

You have to prove to JustGiving where the funds are going and what on before they let you withdraw them so it has to be exactly as outlined in the description. I take great pride in the clubs transparency, we have no millionaire owner we are a family club that thrives as part of our community and we were blown away and continue to be so by the generoisty and kindness of companies and individuals. In return, if you own an NHS ID and you come to the game and show it at the turnstile then you get free entry as our way of thanking those on the front line.

Let's hope given our football starvation we can still manage our pre season friendly and give you a great attendance to kick start the new season.

#4880 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 22 July 2020 - 12:02 PM

View Postspireitenag, on 22 July 2020 - 11:18 AM, said:

Let's hope given our football starvation we can still manage our pre season friendly and give you a great attendance to kick start the new season.

I see weve already agree to visit Bakewell for a PSF this summer.

This post has been edited by Sammy Spireite: 22 July 2020 - 12:02 PM

Share this topic:

• (345 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users