• You cannot reply to this topic

Halifax - Match Day Thread

#401 User is offline   Mac's Back 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 September 2023 - 02:51 PM

View Postsophocles, on 21 September 2023 - 02:47 PM, said:

Rather than point out defensive flaws, I prefer to give credit to our players for scoring the goals, in particular, I thought our second was virtually impossible to prevent - the ball in was whipped across at pace, and Williams got up really well and connected with a thumping header that flew in before defenders or keeper could react.

And he should really have repeated it in the 2nd half...
We're on our way

#402 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2023 - 03:33 PM

View Postsophocles, on 21 September 2023 - 02:47 PM, said:

Rather than point out defensive flaws, I prefer to give credit to our players for scoring the goals, in particular, I thought our second was virtually impossible to prevent - the ball in was whipped across at pace, and Williams got up really well and connected with a thumping header that flew in before defenders or keeper could react.

The goalie's starting position as the ball left Mandeville's foot was on the 6 yard box. He then retreated to the goal line.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#403 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2023 - 04:42 PM

View Postdim view, on 21 September 2023 - 03:33 PM, said:

The goalie's starting position as the ball left Mandeville's foot was on the 6 yard box. He then retreated to the goal line.

Both goals were very high quality. Really good movement and understanding between two very good players in Mandeville and Grigg. A very well-placed and powerful header by Williams from a good cross by Mandeville..

Quigley took his goal very well too and that the keeper made a fine save to deny Banks.

I'd wager that finishing of that quality would have usually given us 4, nevermind 3, goals.

And that's just counting attempts on goal that hit the back net rather than cross the line (so don't apparently count).

#404 Guest_Quaker_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 September 2023 - 05:24 PM

View PostMac, on 21 September 2023 - 02:02 PM, said:

He may have seen him in a one-on-one before...

I’m sure if you dug really deep, you could find something positive to say about the club and/or it’s players.

You’ll feel better for it, honest.

#405 User is offline   Cum on u blues 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 21 September 2023 - 07:00 PM

Carlisle_Spireite said:

1695166672[/url]' post='1772377']
Gotta say, listening to the post match with Webby, I have to agree that football in the UK is in danger of becoming stagnant due to noone being allowed to express any emotion without being booked. It's a competitive sport, and is bound to be full of emotion at times. Punishing people for waving there arms in disgust is a joke.

I agree, sorry if others have already commented. Still ploughing through the threads since the end of the game !

#406 User is offline   Cum on u blues 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2023 - 07:05 PM

Ollerton Opinion said:

1695201677[/url]' post='1772469']
Ref is Aaron Jackson (just in case he tries to darken our door again)

We’ll be ready for this prancing cnut if he dares to come back

#407 Guest_Quaker_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 September 2023 - 07:25 PM

View PostCum on u blues, on 21 September 2023 - 07:05 PM, said:

We’ll be ready for this prancing cnut if he dares to come back

What will you do?

#408 User is offline   Painted Wagon 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2023 - 07:29 PM

Haven’t read every comment but this ref sent Ollie Banks off against Southend just over a year ago on a Tuesday night game

#409 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 21 September 2023 - 08:01 PM

View PostPainted Wagon, on 21 September 2023 - 07:29 PM, said:

Haven’t read every comment but this ref sent Ollie Banks off against Southend just over a year ago on a Tuesday night game

It has been covered.

And another memorable home game v Altrincham Nov '21 (also a tuesday) were a ridiculous amount of time was added (we were 2-1 up and every body dead on their feet) and when that was up a bit more was added until alty equalised, resulting in a few disgruntled folk leaving the ground. No prizes for guessing who the time keeper was.

This post has been edited by clarevoyant.: 21 September 2023 - 08:59 PM

Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#410 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 22 September 2023 - 08:36 AM

So, it's settled then.....He's a pr*ck.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#411 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 22 September 2023 - 08:51 AM

View Postclarevoyant., on 21 September 2023 - 08:01 PM, said:

And another memorable home game v Altrincham Nov '21 (also a tuesday) were a ridiculous amount of time was added (we were 2-1 up and every body dead on their feet) and when that was up a bit more was added until alty equalised, resulting in a few disgruntled folk leaving the ground. No prizes for guessing who the time keeper was.

Thats when we had a bucket load of injuries and didnt have a full bench to use and of what was on there i think three were strikers. We were trying to hold on with everyone dead on their feet and had three strikers on the pitch i think.

#412 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2023 - 08:56 AM

View PostJonB, on 21 September 2023 - 01:31 PM, said:

It was a good finish and i'm not taking anything away from Quigley but the defender didnt do anything to make it harder or make Quigley have to do anything other than close down on goal and pick his finish. I understand he had Berry to worry about as well but he has to look at Quigley being the main threat and do something about it. Grimes did the same for Dieseruvwe's goal after Palmer lost out to him on halfway and the result was the same.

All about opinions but Doesn’t seem a fair representation to be honest. The defender tried to do something by staying tight to his man and lost out physically to Quigs (maybe team orders? 🤷🏼‍♂️) he created that space and opportunity, left enough doubt in the keepers mind and went for the near post.
I think it’s only an issue because of who it is, Quigley is obviously working hard on his game so I’m happy to give him credit.
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#413 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 22 September 2023 - 09:05 AM

View Postfiredodger, on 22 September 2023 - 08:56 AM, said:

All about opinions but Doesn’t seem a fair representation to be honest. The defender tried to do something by staying tight to his man and lost out physically to Quigs (maybe team orders? 🤷🏼‍♂️) he created that space and opportunity, left enough doubt in the keepers mind and went for the near post.
I think it’s only an issue because of who it is, Quigley is obviously working hard on his game so I’m happy to give him credit.

I'm not criticising Quigley in anyway, he created and took the opportunity very well as he had plenty to do. I'm saying both centre halves made a mess of dealing with it....as you say, and i've said somewhere, the first defender gets too tight and loses out then the other centre half decides not to press Quigley at all leaving him a clear run. Whilst Berry is there as an option the second defender does nothing to make Quigley make a decision about whether he should pass or carry on and then because he's no where near Quigley all Quigley has to concentrate on is taking the chance.

As i already mentioned as well a very similar situation happened for Hartlepool's first goal a few games ago and Palmer and Grimes were roundly criticised for how they handled the situation. Palmer lost out in a battle for the ball then Grimes never presses the goal scorer.

#414 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2023 - 09:24 AM

View Postmetallilad, on 22 September 2023 - 08:36 AM, said:

So, it's settled then.....He's a pr*ck.

That pretty much ends the debate LOL

Share this topic:

• (21 Pages)
  • +
  • « First