• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Oldaker And Mandeville

#1 User is offline   Zigsuk 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 25 February 2024 - 11:07 AM

After putting in a couple of man of the match performances Olkdaker seems to have become sloppy and inconsistent again. We know there is a player in there but will he ever achieve the consistencey required? Most agree it's time to bring Jones back for Barnet. It seems once he becomes a regular starter Oldaker's performances start to decline again.
As for Mandy, player of the season last year and excellent for the first half this year, his performances also seem to have tailed off a little. Hopefully it's just a temporary blip and he isn't goiung to revert to the inconsistent and frustating player of his earlier days.

#2 User is offline   Exharboroughspireite 

• ExHarboroughspireite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 February 2024 - 11:16 AM

Mandeville always looked better with king but has not looked the same player since his illness. His set pieces yesterday were poor.

#3 User is offline   Comeonyouirons 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:West Ham United <br />Lager

Posted 25 February 2024 - 11:48 AM

I am of the opinion that Mandeville could perform at a much higher level
He grafts his nads off every time I see him … the ship has probably sailed but he’s the one Tahn player I’d want at WHU
Having said that I know the square root of ..ck all so there you go
THEY FLY SO HIGH , NEARLY REACH THE SKY , AND LIKE MY DREAMS THEY FADE AND DIE

#4 User is offline   ronpowellsbutler 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Irony

Posted 25 February 2024 - 12:07 PM

View PostComeonyouirons, on 25 February 2024 - 11:48 AM, said:

I am of the opinion that Mandeville could perform at a much higher level
He grafts his nads off every time I see him … the ship has probably sailed but he’s the one Tahn player I’d want at WHU
Having said that I know the square root of ..ck all so there you go

You might be better off with all of them 😊

#5 User is offline   azul 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2024 - 01:30 PM

View PostZigsuk, on 25 February 2024 - 11:07 AM, said:

After putting in a couple of man of the match performances Olkdaker seems to have become sloppy and inconsistent again. We know there is a player in there but will he ever achieve the consistencey required? Most agree it's time to bring Jones back for Barnet. It seems once he becomes a regular starter Oldaker's performances start to decline again.
As for Mandy, player of the season last year and excellent for the first half this year, his performances also seem to have tailed off a little. Hopefully it's just a temporary blip and he isn't goiung to revert to the inconsistent and frustating player of his earlier days.

He admitted it himself but he is still worth his place in the side
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#6 User is offline   Comeonyouirons 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:West Ham United <br />Lager

Posted 25 February 2024 - 04:50 PM

View Postronpowellsbutler, on 25 February 2024 - 12:07 PM, said:

You might be better off with all of them 😊

Good point very well made
THEY FLY SO HIGH , NEARLY REACH THE SKY , AND LIKE MY DREAMS THEY FADE AND DIE

#7 User is offline   Webster 

• First Team Player
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:beer

Posted 25 February 2024 - 06:43 PM

Didnt really understand why Mandy for much of the game was played more centrally with Banks wide right yesterday
50+ points survival
72+ points Play off's
83+ points Party Time

#8 User is offline   Dapets 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2024 - 06:45 PM

View PostWebster, on 25 February 2024 - 06:43 PM, said:

Didnt really understand why Mandy for much of the game was played more centrally with Banks wide right yesterday

That’s the idea with a fluid front three and overloads

#9 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2024 - 06:47 PM

View PostWebster, on 25 February 2024 - 06:43 PM, said:

I put it down to Horton and Mandeville not being able to put in any quality crosses and that Banks can put it on a sixpence

#10 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2024 - 07:37 PM

View Postdanblue, on 25 February 2024 - 06:47 PM, said:

I put it down to Horton and Mandeville not being able to put in any quality crosses and that Banks can put it on a sixpence

Yet, Mandeville has numerous assists to his name and has played right side of the three most of the season.

Then, when Banks plays more central he will on occasion shoot from distance and seems to get involved more.

Personally, I thought both were far from their best yesterday and was surprised we didn’t see some interchanging of positions in the 3. Or was it 4 with Naylor so far up the pitch?

#11 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2024 - 08:04 PM

View Postdtp, on 25 February 2024 - 07:37 PM, said:

Yet, Mandeville has numerous assists to his name and has played right side of the three most of the season.

Then, when Banks plays more central he will on occasion shoot from distance and seems to get involved more.

Personally, I thought both were far from their best yesterday and was surprised we didn’t see some interchanging of positions in the 3. Or was it 4 with Naylor so far up the pitch?

I know Cookie has probably forgotten, more than I know about formations, but yesterday, with Naylor playing backup to the centre mid position and Banks trying to interchange with Mandeville on the right, it just didn't work. Sheckleford seemed to hit an invisible brick wall level with the opposition 18yd box, which seemed to stunt creativity from the right.
I've wanted to see Ollie Banks play centre mid for most of the season, and when he played there he did more than ok. He isn't a winger, but I can see why he moved Mandeville to centre mid, because Mandy is still feeling that illness, in my opinion.
Jacobs made a lot of difference when he came on, and Jones did what Jones does best.

#12 User is offline   Dapets 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2024 - 08:08 PM

Cookie 🤮 stop talking like you know him personally lads

#13 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2024 - 09:02 PM

Cookie is a nice bloke to pass a bit of time with and a pint.

#14 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2024 - 10:11 PM

View PostOsborne again, on 25 February 2024 - 08:04 PM, said:

I know Cookie has probably forgotten, more than I know about formations, but yesterday, with Naylor playing backup to the centre mid position and Banks trying to interchange with Mandeville on the right, it just didn't work. Sheckleford seemed to hit an invisible brick wall level with the opposition 18yd box, which seemed to stunt creativity from the right.
I've wanted to see Ollie Banks play centre mid for most of the season, and when he played there he did more than ok. He isn't a winger, but I can see why he moved Mandeville to centre mid, because Mandy is still feeling that illness, in my opinion.
Jacobs made a lot of difference when he came on, and Jones did what Jones does best.

Naylor can be relied on to do the hard yards forwards and backwards in the centre whereas Banks doesn't track back much in my opinion.

I'm guessing that Cook sees Oldaker more as a playmaker than Naylor.

The two problems with the Oldaker as playmaker are that he isn't always as positive as he should be when he receives the ball. He also doesn't do the defensive stuff as well as Naylor.

Personally I'd have Naylor and Jones in there. It then matters less whether Banks tracks back etc or whether Mandy and Dobra (or Jacobs) lose the ball. Tough on Oldaker because he can do some good stuff.

#15 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2024 - 07:41 AM

View Postdtp, on 25 February 2024 - 07:37 PM, said:

My mate pointed out that Naylor was playing further forward, has that been happening much? I haven’t noticed it before but I don’t think it worked, he wasn’t as involved and large parts of the game seemed to pass him by. Also don’t think it helped Oldaker because he didn’t always have a simple ball to his partner.
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#16 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 26 February 2024 - 08:31 AM

Manders not been the same since his illness but still a quality player.
DJ has had 3 below average games for him, working hard but the heavy pitches making it tough for him, maybe time for a rest at Barnet and bring Jones back.

Horton is much improved and prefer him and King starting.
Williams not as sharp since his injury we have shipped in 6 goals recently thanks to sloppy defending.
We are still playing good football and scoring plenty of goals , was that our 100th in all competitions when Grigg scored.
We are missing Colclough / Berry.

Not long before we are Champions, what a great season no one ever expected to win the league so easily. Well done to Cookye and his coaching team, they have worked wonders. Can't wait for the big tester at Barnet let's hope we take a great vocal backing tomorrow night.
lindave

#17 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 27 February 2024 - 04:00 PM

View PostZigsuk, on 25 February 2024 - 11:07 AM, said:

These are human beings, not machines.
God I hate this league.

#18 User is offline   Zigsuk 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2024 - 04:51 PM

View PostDIFH, on 27 February 2024 - 04:00 PM, said:

These are human beings, not machines.

Indeed, but a modicum of consistency is required if a sportsman is going to be successful. Perhaps the attribute that marks out the truly great players, such as Messi, is their consistency.
And before anyone reminds me I am aware that neither of our two are Messi. The point remains valid.

#19 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:16 PM

View PostZigsuk, on 27 February 2024 - 04:51 PM, said:

Indeed, but a modicum of consistency is required if a sportsman is going to be successful. Perhaps the attribute that marks out the truly great players, such as Messi, is their consistency.
And before anyone reminds me I am aware that neither of our two are Messi. The point remains valid.

Given that we're at the business end of the season, fatigue, knocks and minor injuries will have an impact on performances. We're no different to any other club.

We've (the players) performed consistently well for the vast majority of the season.

#20 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC,Travel,Real Ale,Music

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:23 PM

View PostBlue5, on 27 February 2024 - 08:16 PM, said:

Given that we're at the business end of the season, fatigue, knocks and minor injuries will have an impact on performances. We're no different to any other club.

We've (the players) performed consistently well for the vast majority of the season.

All I would add to that is,a drop in performance at this stage of the season unfortunately detracts from the great efforts the squad have put in up to now.COYB

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users