• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Racism In Rugby Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Valley Blues 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 October 2023 - 06:16 PM

So England player Tom Curry alleges a black South African player referred to him as a ‘white c##t’ during their semi final showdown last week.
This is reported to the ref.

Curry alleges this is the second occasion the same black player has racially abused him.

World rugby conduct a thorough and robust investigation over a few days ( yeah, I know ) and conclude insufficient evidence.
Nothing to see here.

It looks like they didn’t even take the time, or show the courtesy , of actually allowing the person making this racial allegation to give their account.

Anybody really surprised by the outcome? I mean, really? Would this have happened if the roles had been reversed?

I think the answer is glaringly obvious.

On the flip side, Luther Burrell reports racist abuse he received in the game earlier this year.

The RFU conclude that racism exists at every level of elite rugby.

Apparently Burrells allegation of racism was found to be reliable and was made to help eradicate the racism ( from the white Person ) from the game.

It looks like Tom Curry’s account was just a pack ( no pun intended ) of malicious lies then…..

#2 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 27 October 2023 - 07:18 PM

I was waiting to see if this was posted because if it had have been by a certain poster or two, “whataboutery” would have hit a new level. Fair play for raising the point.
Disgusting comments that the World body seem all too keen to brush under the table.
East stand second class citizen.

#3 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 27 October 2023 - 07:35 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 27 October 2023 - 07:18 PM, said:

I was waiting to see if this was posted because if it had have been by a certain poster or two, “whataboutery” would have hit a new level. Fair play for raising the point.
Disgusting comments that the World body seem all too keen to brush under the table.

Hardly. It's embarrassing that he's reported it. It's not racism. Our guy actually feels superior because of what he's been called.

'Taking this definition at its word, then, would suggest that it is possible for a person of any race to experience racism if someone treats them badly for this reason – even white people.

But this definition of racism leaves out one crucial element: The power structures that uphold and perpetuate racism.

Racism doesn’t exist in a vacuum. It exists within a hierarchical structure with power at its core. Racism only works because one group has power and other groups do not.

And it is white people who – historically, and in the West at least – hold the power when it comes to racial divides, thanks to centuries of Eurocentric beliefs and structures that continue to privilege and centre whiteness.

Think about it in terms of the effects
If an ethnic minority person treats a white person badly because of ........' article continues.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#4 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 27 October 2023 - 07:54 PM

View Postdim view, on 27 October 2023 - 07:35 PM, said:

Hardly. It's embarrassing that he's reported it. It's not racism. Our guy actually feels superior because of what he's been called.

'Taking this definition at its word, then, would suggest that it is possible for a person of any race to experience racism if someone treats them badly for this reason – even white people.

But this definition of racism leaves out one crucial element: The power structures that uphold and perpetuate racism.

Racism doesn’t exist in a vacuum. It exists within a hierarchical structure with power at its core. Racism only works because one group has power and other groups do not.

And it is white people who – historically, and in the West at least – hold the power when it comes to racial divides, thanks to centuries of Eurocentric beliefs and structures that continue to privilege and centre whiteness.

Think about it in terms of the effects
If an ethnic minority person treats a white person badly because of ........' article continues.

Yep he was racially abused.

#5 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 27 October 2023 - 08:01 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 27 October 2023 - 07:54 PM, said:

Yep he was racially abused.

No he wasn't.

#6 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 27 October 2023 - 08:05 PM

View Postdim view, on 27 October 2023 - 08:01 PM, said:

No he wasn't.

Yes he was, he was called a vile name, a “c..t” and this was in tandem with his colour. Would the reaction have been the same if white was replaced with black?

#7 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 27 October 2023 - 08:42 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 27 October 2023 - 08:05 PM, said:

Yes he was, he was called a vile name, a “c..t” and this was in tandem with his colour. Would the reaction have been the same if white was replaced with black?

It wouldn't have been the same. This is explained in the article I reproduced above.

#8 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 27 October 2023 - 08:48 PM

View Postdim view, on 27 October 2023 - 08:42 PM, said:

It wouldn't have been the same. This is explained in the article I reproduced above.

I read your reply and not the article, who wrote it btw, but I suggest the article is wrong.

#9 User is offline   Valley Blues 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2023 - 08:48 PM

View Postdim view, on 27 October 2023 - 08:42 PM, said:

Which is a load of rubbish, as you probably know but may not want to accept, for whatever reason.

This post has been edited by Valley Blues: 27 October 2023 - 08:51 PM

#10 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 27 October 2023 - 09:21 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 27 October 2023 - 08:48 PM, said:

I read your reply and not the article, who wrote it btw, but I suggest the article is wrong.

Sorry, I can't get it to load, but this is it.

Can white people experience racism? | Metro News
https://metro.co.uk/...ience-racism...

#11 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 27 October 2023 - 09:25 PM

View Postdim view, on 27 October 2023 - 09:21 PM, said:

Sorry, I can't get it to load, but this is it.

Can white people experience racism? | Metro News
https://metro.co.uk/...ience-racism...

Great question..”can white people experience racism”…I suspect in the eyes of some …NO

#12 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 29 October 2023 - 08:41 AM

View PostValley Blues, on 27 October 2023 - 06:16 PM, said:

So England player Tom Curry alleges a black South African player referred to him as a ‘white c##t’ during their semi final showdown last week.
This is reported to the ref.

Curry alleges this is the second occasion the same black player has racially abused him.

World rugby conduct a thorough and robust investigation over a few days ( yeah, I know ) and conclude insufficient evidence.
Nothing to see here.

It looks like they didn’t even take the time, or show the courtesy , of actually allowing the person making this racial allegation to give their account.

Anybody really surprised by the outcome? I mean, really? Would this have happened if the roles had been reversed?

I think the answer is glaringly obvious.

On the flip side, Luther Burrell reports racist abuse he received in the game earlier this year.

The RFU conclude that racism exists at every level of elite rugby.

Apparently Burrells allegation of racism was found to be reliable and was made to help eradicate the racism ( from the white Person ) from the game.

It looks like Tom Curry’s account was just a pack ( no pun intended ) of malicious lies then…..

My understanding is the term used was very similar to the words 'white side' in Afrikaans.

The on-field language adopted by SA players in a bid to confuse English speaking sides.

Only the bloke himself will ever know the truth, but I further understand that created enough doubt to render a definitive decision impossible.

That said I welcome your and our friend 'Mr M's' committment to calling out racism. Infact I look forward to similarly wounded indignation next time our resident bigots post their prejudices...

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 29 October 2023 - 08:42 AM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#13 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 29 October 2023 - 08:54 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 29 October 2023 - 08:41 AM, said:

My understanding is the term used was very similar to the words 'white side' in Afrikaans.

The on-field language adopted by SA players in a bid to confuse English speaking sides.

Only the bloke himself will ever know the truth, but I further understand that created enough doubt to render a definitive decision impossible.

That said I welcome your and our friend 'Mr M's' committment to calling out racism. Infact I look forward to similarly wounded indignation next time our resident bigots post their prejudices...

I did see the possible “excuse” given and immediately thought…Ah the old “Suarez” get out of jail card..just a misunderstanding of colloquial language.
Bollux isn’t it?

#14 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 29 October 2023 - 09:27 AM

View PostMr Mercury, on 29 October 2023 - 08:54 AM, said:

I did see the possible “excuse” given and immediately thought…Ah the old “Suarez” get out of jail card..just a misunderstanding of colloquial language.
Bollux isn’t it?

You know I speak Spanish, so can categorically state Suarez's "negrito" was an unambiguous reference to the other player's colour.

As said this is far less black and white (pun), though. Which is why I, like it seems the rugby authorities, simply don't know if it's the colloquialism you used or not.

Either way I once again applaud your and 'VB's' new found interest in racism and look forward to further interventions when it inevitably raises it's ugly head on here...

#15 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 29 October 2023 - 01:16 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 29 October 2023 - 09:27 AM, said:

You know I speak Spanish, so can categorically state Suarez's "negrito" was an unambiguous reference to the other player's colour.

As said this is far less black and white (pun), though. Which is why I, like it seems the rugby authorities, simply don't know if it's the colloquialism you used or not.
Either way I once again applaud your and 'VB's' new found interest in racism and look forward to further interventions when it inevitably raises it's ugly head on here...

I was actually awaiting you’re initial input on the thread but it seemed to take time.

#16 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 29 October 2023 - 01:29 PM

So predictable
JRID

#17 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 29 October 2023 - 01:45 PM

So predictable
JRID

#18 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 29 October 2023 - 02:50 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 29 October 2023 - 09:27 AM, said:

Well I suppose you could say the people more directly involved, the RFU and head coach Steve Borthwick, arnt so forgiving, both being “absolutely furious” at the seemingly shrug of shoulders attitude by the World body!
Best not ruffle feathers eh?

#19 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 29 October 2023 - 02:58 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 29 October 2023 - 02:50 PM, said:

Well I suppose you could say the people more directly involved, the RFU and head coach Steve Borthwick, arnt so forgiving, both being “absolutely furious” at the seemingly shrug of shoulders attitude by the World body!

Expert on rugby as well - good work Mercury

#20 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 29 October 2023 - 03:37 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 29 October 2023 - 02:50 PM, said:

Well that's two more posts - including a highly, well, let's use the term 'ironic' little jibe - neither of which dealt with the point.

Which is that whilst Curry, Borthwick, the RFU and anyone else might be furious, no one but the SA player himself will ever know his actual intent.

However it seems some have made up their minds regardless of evidence - which, of course, is the dictionary definition of prejudice.

But I once again look forward to the same characters getting equally indignant the next time racism rears it's ugly head...

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users