• You cannot reply to this topic

Coronavirus Thread Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 12 March 2020 - 11:22 PM

The same reason people shag ladyboys in Thailand.

So I'm told anyway.

#62 User is offline   Bankrobber 

• 83 goals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Arctic Sheets and Fields of Wheat

Posted 13 March 2020 - 12:12 AM

View PostJonB, on 12 March 2020 - 03:08 PM, said:

I'm off with the other half and some friends to see the Back to the Future musical on Saturday in Manchester, was my xmas present....they better not cancel that!!

Snap. Was my Christmas present from the missus also.

Don't think we're going for a few weeks yet though. More bothered about the Easter holiday to Spain getting binned off...
The greatest miscarriage of justice since my case against the producers of the Never Ending Story

#63 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 13 March 2020 - 02:16 AM

Article in the independent raises a question like this fish/merc.

If corona virus bankrupts more people than it kills, the effect globally for everyone will be much worse
A new hope.

#64 User is offline   Nerima Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Yumeka
    Tahn
    The Universe & Life
    Learning & growth
    Animals
    アニメ・漫画
    Japanese music

Posted 13 March 2020 - 03:07 AM

View PostDEATH, on 13 March 2020 - 02:16 AM, said:

Article in the independent raises a question like this fish/merc.

If corona virus bankrupts more people than it kills, the effect globally for everyone will be much worse

...in terms of...?

(More information required. Surely...

1) Lives are more vital than jobs/products or services provided
2) It wholly depends on what companies go under (only those providing essential services could impact on life and those are the ones needed now, ergo they will be the ones to survive)

?
頑張れ日本!!!

#65 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 13 March 2020 - 03:16 AM

View PostNerima Spireite, on 13 March 2020 - 03:07 AM, said:

...in terms of...?

(More information required. Surely...

1) Lives are more vital than jobs/products or services provided
2) It wholly depends on what companies go under (only those providing essential services could impact on life and those are the ones needed now, ergo they will be the ones to survive)

?

I’d suggest reading the article for yourself really,it’s online - but briefly - mental health, stress, anguish from job losses, loss of value in savings, investments, pensions- possible mortgage default, people losing their homes, self employed/small business failure etc and the long term knock on effects for society in general.
A new hope.

#66 User is offline   Nerima Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Tahn
    The Universe & Life
    Learning & growth
    Animals
    アニメ・漫画
    Japanese music

Posted 13 March 2020 - 03:24 AM

View PostDEATH, on 13 March 2020 - 03:16 AM, said:

I’d suggest reading the article for yourself really,it’s online - but briefly - mental health, stress, anguish from job losses, loss of value in savings, investments, pensions- possible mortgage default, people losing their homes, self employed/small business failure etc and the long term knock on effects for society in general.

Have you got a link to the article? Just tried searching but not sure which article you’re referring to. In any case, though I get the points you’re making, I’m inclined to disagree.
頑張れ日本!!!

#67 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 13 March 2020 - 03:26 AM

Assume for a minute I own a small business that employs half a dozen people. If my elderly relative were to pass away it’s a personal tragedy. If my business folded due to this, it’s a personal trashed for me, I lose my business, my income, possibly my families home.

My staff lose their income as well,they may also lose their families homes. That’s 7 families then who’s lives are troubled and put under huge strain. The mental well being of these families is stretched and if only one person couldn’t cope then potentially.....

Or maybe someone who is looking forward to retirement, and this stock market crash means the pension won’t be enough so they need to continue working, and then they lose the job because the firms owner has been made bankrupt.

But as I say, your better reading it yourself than getting it second hand from me. Certainly raises some interesting questions
A new hope.

#68 User is offline   Nerima Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Tahn
    The Universe & Life
    Learning & growth
    Animals
    アニメ・漫画
    Japanese music

Posted 13 March 2020 - 03:31 AM

View PostMr Mercury, on 12 March 2020 - 07:35 PM, said:

Well we've had bird flu, SARS and now covid 19 all from the same neck of the woods.
After all this is over will the Chinese actually change their ways on killing and eating anything and everything that's breathes and crawls whilst keeping animals in absolute abhorrent conditions, slaughtering endangered species because they believe their scales if made into a soup will make their todger an inch larger etc etc....No I thought not.

Though I try to avoid stereotyping, I largely agree with this, Merc. If the Chinese government are able to confine people in their homes do ruthlessly in order to halt the disease, besides endless other draconian methods used to control their population, their argument that they tried to stop live/dead meat markets in the aftermath of SARS doesn’t hold water. And to top it all off, according to the Japanese media (bullshiイ or otherwise, I do not know) they are propagating the disease as “Japanese Corona” now...
頑張れ日本!!!

#69 User is offline   Nerima Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Tahn
    The Universe & Life
    Learning & growth
    Animals
    アニメ・漫画
    Japanese music

Posted 13 March 2020 - 03:35 AM

View PostDEATH, on 13 March 2020 - 03:26 AM, said:

Assume for a minute I own a small business that employs half a dozen people. If my elderly relative were to pass away it’s a personal tragedy. If my business folded due to this, it’s a personal trashed for me, I lose my business, my income, possibly my families home.

My staff lose their income as well,they may also lose their families homes. That’s 7 families then who’s lives are troubled and put under huge strain. The mental well being of these families is stretched and if only one person couldn’t cope then potentially.....

Or maybe someone who is looking forward to retirement, and this stock market crash means the pension won’t be enough so they need to continue working, and then they lose the job because the firms owner has been made bankrupt.

Like I said, I get your point. I suppose it depends entirely on how much you value life itself vs quality of life. A difficult question - and that’s a vast understatement.

But as I say, your better reading it yourself than getting it second hand from me. Certainly raises some interesting questions

Do you have a link?

This post has been edited by Nerima Spireite: 13 March 2020 - 03:36 AM

頑張れ日本!!!

#70 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 13 March 2020 - 03:38 AM

A bit more political than I described above, but this is one of them I read. As I say, its certainly an interesting debate, and I don't see it as a right/wrong one.

https://www.independ...y-a9394891.html

A new hope.

#71 User is offline   Nerima Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Tahn
    The Universe & Life
    Learning & growth
    Animals
    アニメ・漫画
    Japanese music

Posted 13 March 2020 - 03:49 AM

View PostDEATH, on 13 March 2020 - 03:38 AM, said:

A bit more political than I described above, but this is one of them I read. As I say, its certainly an interesting debate, and I don't see it as a right/wrong one.

https://www.independ...y-a9394891.html

Thanks for the link. He admits himself he’s a small business owner in trouble. Though he makes some intriguing points re Syria, I fundamentally disagree with his surmise that the economic aspect should be prioritised over the health of human beings. Though inextricably linked, he’s putting the cart before the horse in what I judge to be an entirely selfish manner. Bhutan has its priorities right for me.
頑張れ日本!!!

#72 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 13 March 2020 - 04:17 AM

View PostNerima Spireite, on 13 March 2020 - 03:49 AM, said:

Thanks for the link. He admits himself he’s a small business owner in trouble. Though he makes some intriguing points re Syria, I fundamentally disagree with his surmise that the economic aspect should be prioritised over the health of human beings. Though inextricably linked, he’s putting the cart before the horse in what I judge to be an entirely selfish manner. Bhutan has its priorities right for me.

Maybe not for much longer

https://www.business...018-8?r=US&IR=T

I believe Iceland is also trying to change the way the economic metrics are used and valued
A new hope.

#73 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 13 March 2020 - 04:17 AM

View PostSearch and Destroy, on 12 March 2020 - 08:01 PM, said:

A bloke I know from the lads football team

“ I had a snake burger in Shanghai, a while back.

They whip the yellow snake out of a dirty watertank, chop it on a dirty board, with a dirty knife, fry it in a dirty wok, cut the bun with dirty hands, tip sauce from a dirty bottle, and hand it to you on a dirty plate.

In the blazing sun and heat.”

We’ll all file that under it definitely didn’t happen

#74 User is offline   Nerima Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Tahn
    The Universe & Life
    Learning & growth
    Animals
    アニメ・漫画
    Japanese music

Posted 13 March 2020 - 04:40 AM

View PostDEATH, on 13 March 2020 - 04:17 AM, said:

Maybe not for much longer

https://www.business...018-8?r=US&IR=T

I believe Iceland is also trying to change the way the economic metrics are used and valued

That article exactly makes my point for me - I.e. economy/technology doesn’t equate with happiness - the Bhutanese seemed happier before being opened up to modern advances...though you might argue that might mean they’d been restricted akin to innocent children. Still, I’d wager folk were generally fundamentally happier before technology infiltrated their lives to such an extent as now (I.e. via the Internet). I’m not a technophobe, but ultimately, the “happiness” it certainly provides is superficial and temporal in essence IMO, and it is also technology that aids the swifter efficiency of economy, which is not a substitute for the deep fulfilment family, friendship, nature, and our relationships with the can provide. Believe me - I know from personal experience!

Btw, I know you as DEATH but do you ever sleep? It’s 1:39pm over here in the bright sunshine - must have been 3-5 o’clock over there during our chat!
頑張れ日本!!!

#75 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 13 March 2020 - 05:09 AM

View PostNerima Spireite, on 13 March 2020 - 04:40 AM, said:

Btw, I know you as DEATH but do you ever sleep? It’s 1:39pm over here in the bright sunshine - must have been 3-5 o’clock over there during our chat!

It’s 05:10am
A new hope.

#76 User is offline   Nerima Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Tahn
    The Universe & Life
    Learning & growth
    Animals
    アニメ・漫画
    Japanese music

Posted 13 March 2020 - 05:15 AM

That’s not an answer! Please make sure you get your 7 hours+ sleep to help protect yourself from corona! ;)
頑張れ日本!!!

#77 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 13 March 2020 - 07:45 AM

Wil do
A new hope.

#78 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 13 March 2020 - 08:24 AM

View PostNerima Spireite, on 13 March 2020 - 03:31 AM, said:

Though I try to avoid stereotyping, I largely agree with this, Merc. If the Chinese government are able to confine people in their homes do ruthlessly in order to halt the disease, besides endless other draconian methods used to control their population, their argument that they tried to stop live/dead meat markets in the aftermath of SARS doesn’t hold water. And to top it all off, according to the Japanese media (bullshiイ or otherwise, I do not know) they are propagating the disease as “Japanese Corona” now...

After seeing footage of these markets and various other things regarding how millions of the Chinese people trea/eat animals etc it's a wonder this hasn't happened many many times more.
East stand second class citizen.

#79 Guest_Quaker_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 13 March 2020 - 08:27 AM

View PostDEATH, on 11 March 2020 - 06:20 PM, said:

Why? It’s a respiratory infection not one that has anything to do with digestion. So clearing shelves of bog rolls? Idiots.

More people die of flu each year than are infected in Italy. So why this lock down?

Because this is a more serious strain of flu, its very serious. I'm fed up hearing "more people die of flu", this will be on top of the flu. If, like predicted 50% of the population get this, with a 2% mortality rate, we're looking at 670,000 deaths in this country alone. These things start small and can grow rapidly, its not something that will filter out in the next few weeks..

I agree with Fishini, we are not being told the full story here. I have a friend who lives in Milan, she says its absolute hell over there.

View PostTown_Fan, on 11 March 2020 - 06:58 PM, said:

I think what, if anything, is being underestimated are the cases that are "mild" when in fact they can leave you with permanent lung damage. To try and stop a panic anything that doesnt leave you hospitalised is being classed as mild. I can see why they would do this but it is grossly underselling the severity of this virus. All those pouring scorn and taking no notice could be in for a big shock and are exacerbating the situation.

It wont be long before doctors will be choosing who lives and who dies imho.

This

#80 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2020 - 08:45 AM

Could we really be heading for a dystopian future...

Panic/hysteria
Orientals abused/killed
Army on the streets
Looting
Armed gangs
Mass suicides
No gas or electricity
Living hand to mouth

Some folk don't know how to function beyond TV, smartphones and booze....😬

Share this topic:

• (733 Pages)
  • +