• You cannot reply to this topic

THE END IS NIGH NEW STADIUMS AND THE INEVITABLE DISILLUSION

#1 User is offline   DoctorCrippen 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:26 PM

Good afternoon,

I'm a former Shrewsbury Town supporter and have always enjoyed my visits to Saltergate. Some of you may be wondering why I am here. Why have I, an outsider, taken the time to sign up on your messageboard? Well, ultimately, I am here to warn you. Your new stadium will bring about more harm than good.

I was brought up on the Gay Meadow terraces - a superb, homely ground with a wonderful matchday experience. Like Saltergate, our old stadium was not without its faults; there were large pillars, a dreadful PA system, the food was disgusting and the toilets an absolute disgrace. Despite this, our old home had something special - it had SOUL.

In 2007, we finally moved into our new out-of-town ground. I would like to appear as some sort of martyr that bravely foresaw the dangers of a new stadium but sadly, the reality is different. I naively thought that nothing would ever change and, wherever we played, I would always have a complete passion for my football club. With hindsight however, I was very foolish indeed. The new stadium encapsulates everything I hate about football and its slow evolution into a generic and corporate facade. Despite buying a season-ticket for the first two years at the New Meadow, it struck me half way through last season how much I f**king hated the place and I have since vowed never to return.

I'm aware that many will (rightly) question my status as a ‘true supporter’ in light of this - but I feel it would be best to walk away now with a shred of dignity. Watching football there has become an utterly soul-destroying experience and one which I do not want any part of. The unfortunate reality is that for many of you, the move to a new ground will mark the end of Chesterfield FC as you know it. Gone will be the humour of the terraces and short walks from nearby pubs. The reality of a cold, clinical venue is as inevitable as it is depressing.

I have followed the progress of your new stadium with interest - right from the design phase. I have read with growing dismay supporters demanding, begging and excitedly counting down the days until your soulless new ground is unveiled. If only they knew the reality. Your new stadium, just like ours, will be a horrible place to watch football. First and foremost, there will be no atmosphere due to totalitarian stewards and a lack of a focal point. Any supporters that do attempt to stand and sing will be swiftly cut down. Your stadium will be windswept and often freezing due to the vast open corners. Any little atmosphere that is created by the away supporters will also disappear into the distance. Yes, the novelty appeal of televisions in the bland concourses or an improved steak&kidney pie might satisfy a few at first. You might smile as you take a leak against a shiny new urinal. However, these minor details will rightly pale into insignificance when you make the long hike towards the stadium, or can often hear a pin drop with embarrassing familiarity.

Your club's soul will disappear overnight as you settle into a soulless and generic stadium; totally devoid of any atmosphere or character. You will find attending matches a chore; and even if you win 7-0 (as we did twice last season), you will still leave with a cold and empty feeling. I apologise if I come across as scaremongering, but I've seen this happen before my eyes. Ask Colchester, Arsenal, and even Cardiff fans if you don't believe me. All of them are slowly awakening to the reality that a new stadium is a thoroughly miserable experience and one which supporters often approach with ignorance and total obliviousness. I hope that by warning you, some supporters will know what to expect. Do not look forward your stadium move. Dread it with every fiber of your person.

Enjoy every match and every little patch of Saltergate. Home is where the heart is.

#2 User is offline   Cheshunt Spireite 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:42 PM

I understand your point, and i know some fans have complained about other new grounds (the emirates atmosphere cant compete with highbury). But colchester seemed to have made it work. I worked as a steward at the new ground for a few games and they have a good atmosphere, the away fans (even the 48 stockport took) could always be heard, and heres a tip, when stewards tell you to sit, dont, unless most of the people around you are sitting. Put simply, the club cant force you to sit, and they wont kick you out because they need your support, and in the end they will stop sending stewards up to tell you to sit. Clubs sometimes say its an FA rule but the FA tend not to care (inspector at colchester didnt care).
I may only have the colchester side of it, but they made it work, and as the new site isnt totally out of town like theirs, i think chesterfield will make it work well.

#3 User is offline   kevspireites 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:47 PM

someone doesnt like change, although i do see his point.

i myself dont enjoy watching football sat down just doesn't work aswell as standing on the kop for me
my opinion is always right. But then so is yours. Guess that's opinions

#4 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:49 PM

View PostDoctorCrippen, on Jul 24 2009, 05:39 PM, said:

Good afternoon,

I'm a former Shrewsbury Town supporter and have always enjoyed my visits to Saltergate. Some of you may be wondering why I am here. Why have I, an outsider, taken the time to sign up on your messageboard? Well, ultimately, I am here to warn you. Your new stadium will bring about more harm than good.

I was brought up on the Gay Meadow terraces - a superb, homely ground with a wonderful matchday experience. Like Saltergate, our old stadium was not without its faults; there were large pillars, a dreadful PA system, the food was disgusting and the toilets an absolute disgrace. Despite this, our old home had something special - it had SOUL.

In 2007, we finally moved into our new out-of-town ground. I would like to appear as some sort of martyr that bravely foresaw the dangers of a new stadium but sadly, the reality is different. I naively thought that nothing would ever change and, wherever we played, I would always have a complete passion for my football club. With hindsight however, I was very foolish indeed. The new stadium encapsulates everything I hate about football and its slow evolution into a generic and corporate facade. Despite buying a season-ticket for the first two years at the New Meadow, it struck me half way through last season how much I f**king hated the place and I have since vowed never to return.

I'm aware that many will (rightly) question my status as a ‘true supporter’ in light of this - but I feel it would be best to walk away now with a shred of dignity. Watching football there has become an utterly soul-destroying experience and one which I do not want any part of. The unfortunate reality is that for many of you, the move to a new ground will mark the end of Chesterfield FC as you know it. Gone will be the humour of the terraces and short walks from nearby pubs. The reality of a cold, clinical venue is as inevitable as it is depressing.

I have followed the progress of your new stadium with interest - right from the design phase. I have read with growing dismay supporters demanding, begging and excitedly counting down the days until your soulless new ground is unveiled. If only they knew the reality. Your new stadium, just like ours, will be a horrible place to watch football. First and foremost, there will be no atmosphere due to totalitarian stewards and a lack of a focal point. Any supporters that do attempt to stand and sing will be swiftly cut down. Your stadium will be windswept and often freezing due to the vast open corners. Any little atmosphere that is created by the away supporters will also disappear into the distance. Yes, the novelty appeal of televisions in the bland concourses or an improved steak&kidney pie might satisfy a few at first. You might smile as you take a leak against a shiny new urinal. However, these minor details will rightly pale into insignificance when you make the long hike towards the stadium, or can often hear a pin drop with embarrassing familiarity.

Your club's soul will disappear overnight as you settle into a soulless and generic stadium; totally devoid of any atmosphere or character. You will find attending matches a chore; and even if you win 7-0 (as we did twice last season), you will still leave with a cold and empty feeling. I apologise if I come across as scaremongering, but I've seen this happen before my eyes. Ask Colchester, Arsenal, and even Cardiff fans if you don't believe me. All of them are slowly awakening to the reality that a new stadium is a thoroughly miserable experience and one which supporters often approach with ignorance and total obliviousness. I hope that by warning you, some supporters will know what to expect. Do not look forward your stadium move. Dread it with every fiber of your person.

Enjoy every match and every little patch of Saltergate. Home is where the heart is.

You've not followed it that closely mate

#5 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:51 PM

Shame were not having a standing kop, everybody would be happy then!
#notapennymore

#6 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:34 PM

Two Words

DERBY TUP
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#7 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:42 PM

Be safe
Buy a pack of three
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#8 User is offline   Sabreman 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:46 PM

View PostSpireite-Karl, on Jul 24 2009, 06:04 PM, said:

Shame were not having a standing kop, everybody would be happy then!

i've been standing on the kop for over thirty years, tbh i'm gutted we are moving to an allseater stadium
" He who laughs when things go wrong.....has just thought of someone else to blame it on "

#9 User is offline   Spireite S41 

• Reeto!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC...erm...

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:47 PM

Do not look forward your stadium move. Dread it with every fiber of your person.

I agree with your post 110% mate and thanks for your time. I for one am slowly starting to get a little sick of the cultural cleansing at our sport. OUR sport, not Thatcher's, not Blatter's, not the FA's or the FIFA commity but OURS. Sadly though the battle was lost some time after the Hillborogh disaster and football has changed for the worse. The sad thing is the only winners are the 1000 or so at the very top and the losers (16 million of us) are left with the sterilized, dull and money orientated game THEY have created for themselves. But hey, better than watching Rugby isnt it, right?
''Can I get a reeewind?''

#10 User is offline   Spireite S41 

• Reeto!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:55 PM

View PostCheshunt Spireite, on Jul 24 2009, 05:55 PM, said:

I understand your point, and i know some fans have complained about other new grounds (the emirates atmosphere cant compete with highbury). But colchester seemed to have made it work. I worked as a steward at the new ground for a few games and they have a good atmosphere, the away fans (even the 48 stockport took) could always be heard, and heres a tip, when stewards tell you to sit, dont, unless most of the people around you are sitting. But simply, the club cant force you to sit, and they wont kick you out because they need your support, and in the end they will stop sending stewards up to tell you to sit. Clubs sometimes say its an FA rule but the FA tend not to care (inspector at colchester didnt care).
I may only have the colchester side of it, but they made it work, and as the new site isnt totally out of town like theirs, i think chesterfield will make it work well.

They do. and they can, so easily. A mate of mine got given a half a season ban at Pride Park (hes a sheep shagger) for standing

#11 User is offline   DoctorCrippen 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:06 PM

View Postmoondog, on Jul 24 2009, 06:02 PM, said:

You've not followed it that closely mate

Not sure I get your point - feel free to elaborate.

#12 User is offline   Spire1986 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:51 PM

Good afternoon,

Bang on the money. Its all in the name of deluded progress. I hope the "prawn sandwich brigade" are extremely happy.
"Lest(er) we forget"

#13 Guest_MP-Spire_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:57 PM

Good afternoon,

I'll tell you what Shrewsbury's problem is, your manager and his antics. He typifies everything that's bad about the game. If I'd been subject to that week in, week out, I'd have thrown my season ticket away long before now.

#14 User is offline   marlons curtains 

• Key Player
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:04 PM

View PostMP-Spire, on Jul 24 2009, 08:10 PM, said:

I'll tell you what Shrewsbury's problem is, your manager and his antics. He typifies everything that's bad about the game. If I'd been subject to that week in, week out, I'd have thrown my season ticket away long before now.

trouble with Shrews ground is it is outrageously in the middle of nowhere...
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Spireite S41 

• Reeto!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:09 PM

View Postspire1986, on Jul 24 2009, 08:04 PM, said:

Bang on the money. Its all in the name of deluded progress. I hope the "prawn sandwich brigade" are extremely happy.

Its not progress, its the social and cutural cleansing of our game but hey, at least those with the money are happy.

#16 Guest_MP-Spire_*

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:21 PM

View Postspireite-fan S41, on Jul 24 2009, 08:22 PM, said:

Its not progress, its the social and cutural cleansing of our game but hey, at least those with the money are happy.

How do you obtain a culture in the first instance?

Who is doing this cleansing?

#17 User is offline   DoctorCrippen 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:40 PM

View PostMP-Spire, on Jul 24 2009, 08:10 PM, said:

Hilarious mate, well done.

In a few years time, both clubs will be almost identical. Two soulless clubs playing in soulless, out-of-town grounds with blue kits.

I am sure then that you'll look back on your hilarious retorts with regret.

This post has been edited by DoctorCrippen: 24 July 2009 - 07:45 PM

#18 User is offline   kevspireites 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:46 PM

View PostDoctorCrippen, on Jul 24 2009, 08:53 PM, said:

In a year's time, both clubs will be almost identical. Two soulless clubs playing in soulless, out-of-town grounds with blue kits.

ours will be a 10 min walk from town centre/train station plenty of pubs en route a little better than you have to put up with
my opinion is always right. But then so is yours. Guess that's opinions

#19 Guest_MP-Spire_*

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:47 PM

View PostDoctorCrippen, on Jul 24 2009, 08:53 PM, said:

In a few years time, both clubs will be almost identical. Two soulless clubs playing in soulless, out-of-town grounds with blue kits.

Nothing hilarious, your manager and his antics are a disgrace.

#20 User is offline   Spireite S41 

• Reeto!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:48 PM

View PostMP-Spire, on Jul 24 2009, 08:34 PM, said:

How do you obtain a culture in the first instance?

Who is doing this cleansing?

The FA, FIFA, even the govenment to an extent. The Taylor report is a pime example. Ticket prices went up delibratly in order to price out the 'hooligans' (the working class). The standing culture, banter, terraces, The working 'classness' of football.

This post has been edited by spireite-fan S41: 24 July 2009 - 07:49 PM

Share this topic:

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users