• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

India Tour

#41 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 13 February 2021 - 11:31 AM

View Postclarevoyant., on 13 February 2021 - 10:16 AM, said:

^^^
Amended.

Seriously you've got to like Joe

Nope Kohli is more of a dick than Joe, it was a scale of dickedness not talent.
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#42 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 13 February 2021 - 12:50 PM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 13 February 2021 - 09:46 AM, said:

of the 4 current 'greatest' number 3/4 batsmen there is a scale of dickedness it goes

Smith (SA Cheat Scandal) > Kohli (loves himself) > Root (has his moments) > Williamson (all round nice guy)

and will ever be thus

What’s wrong with Root?

#43 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 13 February 2021 - 01:25 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 13 February 2021 - 12:50 PM, said:

What’s wrong with Root?

How many times has he been batting with someone, called him for a run and backed out, resulting in a run out that was completely unnecessary? Bit dickish.
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#44 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 13 February 2021 - 04:04 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 13 February 2021 - 10:15 AM, said:

Any idea why crowds suddenly allowed back in there?

It’s been talked about for a couple of weeks although from I understood it was expected rot be the third test in a 100,000 stadium
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#45 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 13 February 2021 - 04:12 PM

View PostJonB, on 13 February 2021 - 08:47 AM, said:

It’s probably because he is a bit of a dick!

Bit of an ego for sure

I read he’s the first not to walk after being bowled since WG Grace. Apparently Grace also told an umpire after being given LBW, “they’ve come to see me bat, not you umpire”

Got to say I thought to say it was quite funny

#46 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 13 February 2021 - 04:19 PM

View PostJonB, on 13 February 2021 - 08:47 AM, said:

It’s probably because he is a bit of a dick!

Bit of an ego for sure

I read he’s the first not to walk after being bowled since WG Grace. Apparently Grace also told an umpire after being given LBW, “they’ve come to see me bat, not you umpire”

Got to say I thought to say it was quite funny

#47 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 14 February 2021 - 07:00 AM

Where's Tony Lock (who? Whitman will know) when you need him?
8 wickets falling on the 2nd morning of a 5 day test. The pitch with no structure and bone dry, the outfield lush and fielders making divers. 🤔
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#48 User is offline   HoneyTrippa 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2021 - 10:25 AM

Just turned the TV on.... oh dear ....what's the chances of this being all over by Day 4
There aint no Soul left in these old shoes... since you've been gone

#49 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 14 February 2021 - 10:47 AM

View PostHoneyTrippa, on 14 February 2021 - 10:25 AM, said:

Just turned the TV on.... oh dear ....what's the chances of this being all over by Day 4

The way the reviews are going if Micky Arthur was part of Englands back room staff he'd have lost his shorts by now
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

#50 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 14 February 2021 - 12:05 PM

The decision that Sharma wasn’t playing a shot was criminal....

We’ve been outplayed but the pitch is very poor for test cricket, lot decided by the toss and the umpiring both on field and tv has been poor.

#51 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 14 February 2021 - 12:20 PM

View PostJonB, on 14 February 2021 - 12:05 PM, said:

The decision that Sharma wasn’t playing a shot was criminal....

We’ve been outplayed but the pitch is very poor for test cricket, lot decided by the toss and the umpiring both on field and tv has been poor.

About as criminal as the stumping and catch yesterday, even though we got our review back on their reflection, that must be a first, admitting error after minutes reviewing the incident.

And also criminal, the preperation?? of a 5 day pitch. What would the thoughts be of anyone having paid for a 4th day ticket and transport?
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

#52 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 14 February 2021 - 03:58 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 14 February 2021 - 12:20 PM, said:

About as criminal as the stumping and catch yesterday, even though we got our review back on their reflection, that must be a first, admitting error after minutes reviewing the incident.

And also criminal, the preperation?? of a 5 day pitch. What would the thoughts be of anyone having paid for a 4th day ticket and transport?

Not seen much of yesterday’s play but seen plenty about those decisions and did seem poor. The fact we got the review back says and they got lucky that it probably won’t affect the result too much as he got out not long after. However in a closer game and the batsman goes on to get a load more it will leave a lot of questions to answer. Seen plenty about how they could change the 3rd umpire position to be done centrally like VAR but it’s generally been fine including with non neutral umpires last summer and only now we’re in India with home umpires that we have issues.

This post has been edited by JonB: 14 February 2021 - 03:59 PM

#53 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 14 February 2021 - 07:23 PM

View PostJonB, on 14 February 2021 - 03:58 PM, said:

Not seen much of yesterday’s play but seen plenty about those decisions and did seem poor. The fact we got the review back says and they got lucky that it probably won’t affect the result too much as he got out not long after. However in a closer game and the batsman goes on to get a load more it will leave a lot of questions to answer. Seen plenty about how they could change the 3rd umpire position to be done centrally like VAR but it’s generally been fine including with non neutral umpires last summer and only now we’re in India with home umpires that we have issues.

The on field umpires have been good in both tests, the "shot played debacle" excepted. The video umpire has let himself and his colleague down.

During the first test the tv experts(???) questioned, several times which was the pitch for the 2nd test? No one could tell, leaving 4 days for preperation. When revealed, there were bowlers foot marks (left arm over) on what you would expect to be a virgin strip, strange. There appear to be at least 2 other unused pitchs, erm. The dryness is surprising considering the dampness of the outfield,leading to the conclusion it was manufactured and rendering the following classic quote from one of the Indian summarises when asked about the pitch following his inspection "it's made up of powder and pebbles"

All that said the standard of Englands spin attack as been shocking 2 bad balls an over creating no constant pressure. But the strangest decision, sending home one of our better players of spin in Bairstow. Yes we dont know what effect being kept in bubbles is having but maybe we could have developed a spot of arrogance, with this test bringing back a bit of clarity.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

#54 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2021 - 07:45 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 14 February 2021 - 07:00 AM, said:

Where's Tony Lock (who? Whitman will know) when you need him?
8 wickets falling on the 2nd morning of a 5 day test. The pitch with no structure and bone dry, the outfield lush and fielders making divers. 🤔

Yes I do lol a balding spinner who played for Surrey and if memory serves was shrouded in a chucking controversy back in the day

Back to this test match the Indians gambled on a sub standard pitch imo and to win the toss and try to bat us out of it with a decent first innings total and it looks as though they have succeeded

#55 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 14 February 2021 - 08:16 PM

View Postwhittman, on 14 February 2021 - 07:45 PM, said:

Yes I do lol a balding spinner who played for Surrey and if memory serves was shrouded in a chucking controversy back in the day

Back to this test match the Indians gambled on a sub standard pitch imo and to win the toss and try to bat us out of it with a decent first innings total and it looks as though they have succeeded

Help me out here! In the 60s if Kent, Surry or Middlesex lost a couple of early wickets in Queens Park a notorious pitch inspector was despatched poste haste to 'doc' Derbyshire some points. What was his name? Ta
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

#56 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 14 February 2021 - 09:00 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 14 February 2021 - 07:23 PM, said:

The on field umpires have been good in both tests, the "shot played debacle" excepted. The video umpire has let himself and his colleague down.

During the first test the tv experts(???) questioned, several times which was the pitch for the 2nd test? No one could tell, leaving 4 days for preperation. When revealed, there were bowlers foot marks (left arm over) on what you would expect to be a virgin strip, strange. There appear to be at least 2 other unused pitchs, erm. The dryness is surprising considering the dampness of the outfield,leading to the conclusion it was manufactured and rendering the following classic quote from one of the Indian summarises when asked about the pitch following his inspection "it's made up of powder and pebbles"

All that said the standard of Englands spin attack as been shocking 2 bad balls an over creating no constant pressure. But the strangest decision, sending home one of our better players of spin in Bairstow. Yes we dont know what effect being kept in bubbles is having but maybe we could have developed a spot of arrogance, with this test bringing back a bit of clarity.

It was going to be a crap pitch the moment Kohli whined about the first test pitch.

#57 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 15 February 2021 - 12:06 PM

Don’t understand the moaning. India scored 600 on this substandard pitch.

How many matches reach the 5th day in England these days, without adverse weather. Your chancing your arm buying tickets in advance for the 4th day usually.

Far too many one sided matches worldwide that often depend on the toss

This post has been edited by azul: 15 February 2021 - 12:08 PM

#58 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 15 February 2021 - 12:38 PM

View Postazul, on 15 February 2021 - 12:06 PM, said:

How many matches reach the 5th day in England these days, without adverse weather. Your chancing your arm buying tickets in advance for the 4th day usually.

India batted first so got the spell where it didnt do as much and then second innings its a bit different batting with a lead of 200 nearly already, no pressure at all. Their spinners bowled better than ours and Ashwin is a better spinner than anything we've got but thats probably understandable as English conditions will never help producing top class spinners.

That shouldnt detract from the fact a pitch shouldnt be falling to pieces so quickly. Strange how the first test pitch didnt do it, Kohli whines about it after losing and suddenly the second test is played on a beach. If England produced a track that was so helpful towards seam from the get go the ICC (indian cricket council) would be up in arms. I bet there are more competitive 5 days matches played in England than in most of the sub continent countries where a lot of games get decided by the toss a lot of the time...bat first, get a load and win most of the time. Yes in England at certain times of the year the ball will move around early but it then tends to settle down.

#59 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 15 February 2021 - 01:25 PM

View Postazul, on 15 February 2021 - 12:06 PM, said:

Games that are decided by the toss should be influenced only by the weather, That's cricket. For the game to be influenced by a sub standard (manufactured) pitch, is 'Just not cricket'
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

#60 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 15 February 2021 - 02:57 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 15 February 2021 - 01:25 PM, said:

Games that are decided by the toss should be influenced only by the weather, That's cricket. For the game to be influenced by a sub standard (manufactured) pitch, is 'Just not cricket'

So many games are influenced by the toss it. Of course once you have prepared a pitch to your benefit you have to make sure you win that toss.

They even introduced the unopposed toss in county cricket in attempt to stop groundsman from favouring the home side too much

This post has been edited by azul: 15 February 2021 - 03:00 PM

Share this topic:

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users