• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gateshead

#21 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 17 October 2023 - 06:37 PM

Saturdays game will be like salford away all over again when steve watson left for york and reserve team coach and ex player ben clark had just taken charge and results tailed off but he managed to pull of enough wins to keep the team in the top half. This time its 2 coaches rob elliot and louis storey taking charge and senior player carl magnay will be player coach. Odly enough the club at present are not taking applications for a new manager

#22 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 17 October 2023 - 06:42 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 17 October 2023 - 04:37 PM, said:

Why would postcode be a determining factor? Some more densely populated areas can have 2 or 3 postcodes in the space we moved?

So, I ask Metallid the same question, how far would he deem acceptable for a club to move.

Not out of the town that the club is in.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#23 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2023 - 06:52 PM

View PostJonB, on 17 October 2023 - 05:36 PM, said:

If I remember correctly Milton Keynes was second choice….the original plan was to up sticks to Dublin!

Yeah i heard that, that would have been shocking if that had been passed and the start of franchising football, a bit like what they do in rugby league. As much as the move from wimbleton was hated wimbleton would have gone bust anyway had it not happened, they had been homeless for years with away crowds often outnumbering home crowds

#24 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 17 October 2023 - 07:04 PM

View PostHolmesc1, on 17 October 2023 - 06:37 PM, said:

Saturdays game will be like salford away all over again when steve watson left for york and reserve team coach and ex player ben clark had just taken charge and results tailed off but he managed to pull of enough wins to keep the team in the top half. This time its 2 coaches rob elliot and louis storey taking charge and senior player carl magnay will be player coach. Odly enough the club at present are not taking applications for a new manager

Well this time we’ve got Paul Cook in charge and a squad who’d be challenging at the top of L2 rather than Martin Allen and a squad of journeymen.
East stand second class citizen.

#25 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 17 October 2023 - 07:08 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 17 October 2023 - 07:04 PM, said:

Well this time we’ve got Paul Cook in charge and a squad who’d be challenging at the top of L2 rather than Martin Allen and a squad of journeymen.

More like his ex favourites who were well past their sell by date, there were many who were pleased with the appointment of MA at the time.
God I hate this league.

#26 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2023 - 08:26 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 17 October 2023 - 07:04 PM, said:

Martin allan had enough experience im sure, dont know what went wrong that season but the the two times gateshead played them chesterfield were awful but gatesheads in the play offs compared to around this time last year when they were in the bottom 4. Would be happy with a draw or even not conceding too many

#27 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 17 October 2023 - 08:39 PM

View PostHolmesc1, on 17 October 2023 - 08:26 PM, said:

Martin allan had enough experience im sure, dont know what went wrong that season but the the two times gateshead played them chesterfield were awful but gatesheads in the play offs compared to around this time last year when they were in the bottom 4. Would be happy with a draw or even not conceding too many

Is they on the basis they’ve lost 2 of their last 3 league matches?

#28 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 17 October 2023 - 08:40 PM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 17 October 2023 - 04:38 PM, said:

History lesson time, AFC Wimbledon did not make Kingstonian homeless, Chelsea did, Had Kingstonian not entered administration enabling AFC Wimbledon to take over the lease of the ground with a mutual agreement to still groundshare with what was left of Kingstonian knowing full well that AFC Wimbledon were planning to move back to the Borough of Merton. AFC Wimbledon sold Kingsmeadow to Chelsea to finance their move back to Plough Lane/Merton. It was Chelsea that were unwilling to continue the lease with Kingstonian.

Revisionist history lesson more like.

They sold Kingsmeadow to Chelsea and chased the money knowing full well it would make Kingstonian homeless. When they bought the original lease they promised it would never affect Kingstonian FC's status as their home ground, but now they have lost their exactly that. AFC Wimbledon could have refused to sell to Chelsea or stipulated a share with both clubs. Truth is they didn't care they just wanted the money so they could move forward themselves. They've shown themselves to be exactly what many Kingstonian fans feared, selfish and uncaring.
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#29 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 17 October 2023 - 09:27 PM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 17 October 2023 - 04:43 PM, said:

So staying within the confines of their natural catchment area not moving lock stock & barrel to a different county, miles away. There's a reason we called (and some still call) MK Dons, Franchise FC.

Counties and postcodes are two different things.

View Postmetallilad, on 17 October 2023 - 06:42 PM, said:

Not out of the town that the club is in.

You could argue we have?

And plenty of clubs play our ode their town?

I’ll ask again, what distance would you say is acceptable?

#30 User is offline   Duckys Moved 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Golf<br />Football<br />Fishing<br />Lager

Posted 18 October 2023 - 07:07 AM

View PostHolmesc1, on 17 October 2023 - 08:26 PM, said:

So you would be happy with a draw or not conceding too many (which implies a narrow defeat) against a team who have lost 2 out of 3, lost their entire management team who come to the league leaders unbeaten at home, the mind boggles !!

Not saying we are guaranteed a win but jesus christ we have some pessimists.

#31 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend

Posted 18 October 2023 - 07:23 AM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 17 October 2023 - 09:27 PM, said:

Counties and postcodes are two different things.

You could argue we have?

And plenty of clubs play our ode their town?

I’ll ask again, what distance would you say is acceptable?

Sammy. Wimbledon FC owner moved them nearly 2hrs away from Wimbledon and changed their name, he only kept the Dons bit in because he had to have a part of Wimbledon in the name as to keep their status as a football club or he would've had to start from scratch. If you think that's acceptable then that's your prerogative but mine is that the MK Dons are a fake club that shouldn't have the history of the old Wimbledon tied to them.
We only moved from the town centre 1.5m down the road and we're still in the same town.

#32 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2023 - 07:28 AM

View PostDuckys Moved, on 18 October 2023 - 07:07 AM, said:

So you would be happy with a draw or not conceding too many (which implies a narrow defeat) against a team who have lost 2 out of 3, lost their entire management team who come to the league leaders unbeaten at home, the mind boggles !!

Not saying we are guaranteed a win but jesus christ we have some pessimists.

Holmes is a gateshead lad now living in Chesterfield, he supported them before he watched town. So when he refers to taking a draw he is wearing his Heed hat...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#33 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 18 October 2023 - 07:57 AM

View Postmetallilad, on 18 October 2023 - 07:23 AM, said:

Sammy. Wimbledon FC owner moved them nearly 2hrs away from Wimbledon and changed their name, he only kept the Dons bit in because he had to have a part of Wimbledon in the name as to keep their status as a football club or he would've had to start from scratch. If you think that's acceptable then that's your prerogative but mine is that the MK Dons are a fake club that shouldn't have the history of the old Wimbledon tied to them.
We only moved from the town centre 1.5m down the road and we're still in the same town.

Where did I say it was acceptable, If I'd have been a Wimbledon fan at the time I'd have been livid but I don't see them as a 'fake club' either, and AFC Wimbledon are definitely not entitled to the FA CUP win as they are a totally new club set up in the last 20 years or so.

You could argue that were not the same club that got to the FA Cup Semi in 1997 as were certainly not the same trading company. Our history back to 1866 isn't fully traceable yet we claim our heritage as the 4th oldest club, name the stadium address after it etc, doesn't mean its true

I was simply asking what distance you thought was acceptable for a club to move to retain its history?

#34 User is offline   Valley Blues 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2023 - 07:57 AM

View Postmetallilad, on 18 October 2023 - 07:23 AM, said:

What about Arsenal moving from south London to north London and dropping the Woolwich from their name?

Wonder what their fans reckoned?

#35 User is offline   Duckys Moved 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Golf<br />Football<br />Fishing<br />Lager

Posted 18 October 2023 - 08:01 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 18 October 2023 - 07:28 AM, said:

Holmes is a gateshead lad now living in Chesterfield, he supported them before he watched town. So when he refers to taking a draw he is wearing his Heed hat...

My apologies Holmes !!

#36 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2023 - 08:05 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 17 October 2023 - 08:39 PM, said:

Is they on the basis they’ve lost 2 of their last 3 league matches?

Not really, on the basis they have just lost the management team and chesterfield are miles ahead in top spot

#37 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2023 - 08:08 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 18 October 2023 - 07:28 AM, said:

I went to the odd game as a neutral during chesterfields football league days but only time i have been since relegation has mostly been to see gateshead. Im never have or never will be what you call a fan

#38 User is offline   Fit as a Nelson 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2023 - 08:28 AM

View PostHolmesc1, on 18 October 2023 - 08:08 AM, said:

I went to the odd game as a neutral during chesterfields football league days but only time i have been since relegation has mostly been to see gateshead. Im never have or never will be what you call a fan

Then why are you averaging 1.55 posts a day on a message board for Chesterfield fans?

#39 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2023 - 10:31 AM

View PostFit as a Nelson, on 18 October 2023 - 08:28 AM, said:

Then why are you averaging 1.55 posts a day on a message board for Chesterfield fans?

Am i, never realised or particularly cared. Seen as you are into stats if you look at what threads i post in it will mostly be neutral ones like in personal section, manager comings and goings etc, not likely to post in a thread about a chesterfield game apart from this weekend of course. Anyone else post on here who supports another team?

#40 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend

Posted 18 October 2023 - 02:30 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 18 October 2023 - 07:57 AM, said:

Where did I say it was acceptable, If I'd have been a Wimbledon fan at the time I'd have been livid but I don't see them as a 'fake club' either, and AFC Wimbledon are definitely not entitled to the FA CUP win as they are a totally new club set up in the last 20 years or so.

You could argue that were not the same club that got to the FA Cup Semi in 1997 as were certainly not the same trading company. Our history back to 1866 isn't fully traceable yet we claim our heritage as the 4th oldest club, name the stadium address after it etc, doesn't mean its true

I was simply asking what distance you thought was acceptable for a club to move to retain its history?

We all know that a football club is the supporters, we are the community that holds our clubs together, regardless of what any businessman may say but without supporters a football club is nothing. If we had an owner that wanted to up and move to Louth (for arguments sake) then name it Louthfield FC just because he'd been told he could have a new stadium in a good catchment area gaining X amount of supporters you would be aggrieved and rightly so. But with that new club the biggest highlight of our clubs history (again for arguments sake) the Anglo Scottish cup would then be in the trophy cabinet of Louthfield FC even though they didn't win it, Chesterfield did. But the record books show that we didn't and they did. That is fake.
The distance (even though I mentioned it) is irrelevant to the point I'm making tbf but the morality is still the same. It doesn't matter that the business name of our club has changed, we are still here, it doesn't matter that we aren't still playing at Saltergate because we are still playing in Chesterfield and haven't moved out of our community then changed name.

That is why I see MK Dons as a fake club with a fake history because all they've achieved for themselves are their promotions and EFL trophy that they won as MK Dons.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users