• You cannot reply to this topic

Feedback from Duncan

#41 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:49 AM

View PostTown_Fan, on Jan 19 2008, 11:46 AM, said:

If Duncan was such a good well respected manager how come not a single team ever employed him after he left Chesterfield? Unless you count the midland combination premier division. No one even wanted him after he was sacked from Ipswich.

It's a good point, and surely no-one can be seriously considering him to come back in charge.
If only....

#42 User is offline   Frank Thacker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:34 PM

View PostTown_Fan, on Jan 19 2008, 11:46 AM, said:

If Duncan was such a good well respected manager how come not a single team ever employed him after he left Chesterfield? Unless you count the midland combination premier division. No one even wanted him after he was sacked from Ipswich.

A manager's employment status doesn't always relate closely to their ability, does it? Just as the fact of Steve McLaren's employment by England didn't automatically make him a good manager, so unemployment doesn't automatically make you poor, either - ask the Nicky Law fans on here. Of course, no-one apart from Duncan knows whether anyone else came in for him before us in the two or three years he was teaching after Ipswich sacked him, so its all a bit speculative, really.

Anonymity is a fate common to many post-war ex-Chesterfield managers, irrespective of their ability.

Bob Marshall - CFC manager to pub landlord
Joe Shaw - CFC manager to helping in his wife's wool shop
Tony McShane - CFC manager to freelance Golf Correspondent for a Plymouth newspaper
Dave Rushbury: CFC Manager to self-employed sarnie man, via Alfreton Town FC

To be fair to the guy, Duncan was very employable in his early career; he improved Hartlepool before leaving for Scunny, who only sacked him to employ the chairman's mate. Ipswich, of course, wanted him at one stage, or he wouldn't have gone there. And who cares if he only built a promotion side at one other club? He did it here twice, which is all most would be bothered about.

It isn't going to happen. I reckon this division has moved on a bit since 1994-5, and he probably wouldn't be able to repeat the feat. But anyway, the important thing to remember is that it isn't going to happen.
Posted Image

#43 Guest_ChrisSnell_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:47 PM

Phew!

Thanks, Stu.

Reading some of the posts last evening i was beginning to get more than a little worried.

Surely any kind of common sense tells us that bringing Duncan back would be up there with offering Richardson a new contract when it comes to alienating the fans.

But then since when have common sense and the Town Board walked hand in hand?

#44 Guest_MP-Spire_*

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:51 PM

View PostChrisSnell, on Jan 19 2008, 06:47 PM, said:

Phew!

Thanks, Stu.

Reading some of the posts last evening i was beginning to get more than a little worried.

Surely any kind of common sense tells us that bringing Duncan back would be up there with offering Richardson a new contract when it comes to alienating the fans.

But then since when have common sense and the Town Board walked hand in hand?

Rest assured, it will never happen whilst your mate's on the Board! lol

Who would you go for?

#45 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:06 PM

View PostChrisSnell, on Jan 18 2008, 09:29 PM, said:

Dave
In answer to your question, Rick pretty much summed it up, but towards the end their were several comments about how "attacking" our game was/is and not necessarily in an approving tone of voice. It's my interpretation i know, but i could almost see him shaking his head in disapproval.

And considering that Duncan's departure was almost universally welcomed back in 2000 - even by those that might be considered part of the CFC establishment nowadays, i guess it sums up how desperate things are getting that some folk are now looking upon him in a positive (positive? Not a word usually associated with "The Master Of Monotony") sense.

As for those advocating the return of Johnny Negative (who, by the way, got us RELEGATED the last time he was in charge, don't forget) it would surely mean a CFC playing at Saltergate, with Hubbard at the helm and managed by John Duncan.

Progress?

Surprised at you Chris for ignoring a blatant fact, yes we went down under JD's last visit that is true but you fail to point out that Norton Lee ripped the heart out of his team by selling all his better players, you also fail to acknowledge that no matter what you say JD was the most successful manager in our history. Let me ask you this would you accept the rest of the season as bore 1 - 0 wins and promotion or exciting 4 - 3 losses and remain in this crap league?

Take Lester out of the equation and JD's last season after the norton lee destruction of the team how many of this team would get into a JD side?
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#46 User is offline   Blueprint 

• Legend

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:17 PM

I would imagine looking back at JD's managerial record we scored 3 goals on quite a few occasions, ok we probably wouldn't be scoring as many goals this season if JD was in charge, but i bet we'd still have a similar point tally, if not more courtesy of goalless backs to the wall games against good sides.

I do question what JD would make of Lester though, i doubt he would have signed him given the chance as JD always liked a striker who could defend, hence why he outed Nozza when we were desperate for some experienced firepower in the side, leaving nozza on the bench was one of the main reasons the fans turned against him, me included.

There no dispute JD was/is an excellent tactition but i doubt he'd increase the home gates if he was to come back, his football wasn't interesting to watch then so i expect nothing to change there. Rico does provide an interesting contest, if not always the right result.

Where we went wrong on Wednesday night was once we got to 2-2 we should have sat back a little and not been so eager to get the winner, we did brilliant to come back to 2-2 after the dismal first half, with a bit more defending to hold onto the draw and we may not have conceded those two silly goals. We could have still gone for 3 points but in a more organsied fashion. the balance between attack and defence wasn't there.

#47 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

View PostBankrobber, on Jan 18 2008, 07:03 PM, said:

I wonder how many of those advocating the return of Duncs were slagging him off last time around?

I have always been a fan of JD (and his achievements)
A new hope.

#48 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:26 PM

View Postdeath, on Jan 19 2008, 07:23 PM, said:

I have always been a fan of JD (and his achievements)

Where you a fan of his extremely boring, long ball, negative football too?
If only....

#49 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:30 PM

View PostBlueprint, on Jan 19 2008, 07:17 PM, said:

I would imagine looking back at JD's managerial record we scored 3 goals on quite a few occasions, ok we probably wouldn't be scoring as many goals this season if JD was in charge, but i bet we'd still have a similar point tally, if not more courtesy of goalless backs to the wall games against good sides.

I do question what JD would make of Lester though, i doubt he would have signed him given the chance as JD always liked a striker who could defend, hence why he outed Nozza when we were desperate for some experienced firepower in the side, leaving nozza on the bench was one of the main reasons the fans turned against him, me included.

There no dispute JD was/is an excellent tactition but i doubt he'd increase the home gates if he was to come back, his football wasn't interesting to watch then so i expect nothing to change there. Rico does provide an interesting contest, if not always the right result.

Where we went wrong on Wednesday night was once we got to 2-2 we should have sat back a little and not been so eager to get the winner, we did brilliant to come back to 2-2 after the dismal first half, with a bit more defending to hold onto the draw and we may not have conceded those two silly goals. We could have still gone for 3 points but in a more organsied fashion. the balance between attack and defence wasn't there.

I see a little flaw in your analysis this being other than Janos we have no defence
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#50 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:35 PM

View PostSkywalker, on Jan 19 2008, 07:26 PM, said:

To an extent yes, it gave us more wins and two promotions.

Think back to 83. Just relegated, almost gone bust, only had 3 players on the books, and the club was at a very low ebb. Promotion in his second season ?

Or Just after Chris Macmenemy? Bottom of the entire football league for a while, Promotion the first full season with JD at the helm?

The play off win against our little yellow friends?

F.A. cup semi final?

Your not a fan of any of that?

View PostBlueprint, on Jan 19 2008, 07:17 PM, said:

After nozzer left what happened to CFC?

After nozzer left, what level of football did he play in?

Sort of proves JD right
A new hope.

#51 Guest_ChrisSnell_*

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:39 PM

Mike
Mike Newell. Said it when McFarland left, still saying it now.

Fishi
You're right about the Old Dictator of course, but as i suggested to Duncan "face-to-face" at a meeting shortly after Holland and Mercer had been sold, he could've resigned and held onto much of his credibility. He chose not to and continued to oversee a side that didn't play football, didn't score goals and didn't win games. And let's not forget that our away form had been a joke - something like four league wins in two seasons - for some time prior to that final, disasterous term. As for losing 4-3 or winning 1-0, it's not as black and white as that. Duncan may be the most successful manager in our history, but his footballing philosophy is the death of football, end of. Can you imagine if every side kept nine men behind the ball and humped it for 90 minutes every week? Within three or four seasons most clubs would go bankrupt as fans looked for something more entertaining. Like watching grass grow, for instance. Your point about the quality of that relegation side is valid, though. Don't forget that Nicky Law allowed those same players to express themselves and suddenly we played attractive football, scored goals and won games. As others have said, Duncan had the players but his footballing inhibitions were like a ball and chain around their legs.

All in all, i guess it speaks volumes about our current situation that folk are even discussing Johnny Negative as a viable option.

I sincerely hope sanity prevails.

#52 User is offline   Blueprint 

• Legend

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:40 PM

He was doing the business while he was here though, and his record before we signed him kind of spoke for itself. We were lacking goals, we had our best striker on the bench, what good was that doing?

#53 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:41 PM

View PostSkywalker, on Jan 19 2008, 07:26 PM, said:

And we are not playing the long ball game? Of course we are but to less effect than JD's sides, how often do we football on the floor? Answer very little, Rico as a manager on in the same class as JD sorry but its true, Rico tactically is a novice and under him we will not win promotion as painful as it maybe for you to admit it you do know it to be true
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#54 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:54 PM

View Postdeath, on Jan 19 2008, 07:35 PM, said:

To an extent yes, it gave us more wins and two promotions.

Think back to 83. Just relegated, almost gone bust, only had 3 players on the books, and the club was at a very low ebb. Promotion in his second season ?

Or Just after Chris Macmenemy? Bottom of the entire football league for a while, Promotion the first full season with JD at the helm?

The play off win against our little yellow friends?

F.A. cup semi final?

Your not a fan of any of that?

Those achievements were superb, but the football on offer was simply dire. Duncan had a purple patch in his second term in that a certain Kev Davies exploded onto the scene (Great signing by JD). Imagine if he hadn't, I dread to think how boring we would have been.

How many goals did we score from creative attacking open play? Even from direct play we were boring. From Hewitt's powder puff predictable corners to Nicky's 9 Iron's, hell even our throw in's were just launched in the box 'hoping' to scramble one in.
If only....

#55 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:56 PM

View Postfishini, on Jan 19 2008, 07:41 PM, said:

And we are not playing the long ball game? Of course we are but to less effect than JD's sides, how often do we football on the floor? Answer very little, Rico as a manager on in the same class as JD sorry but its true, Rico tactically is a novice and under him we will not win promotion as painful as it maybe for you to admit it you do know it to be true

The difference being, Duncan's long ball tactics consisted of launching it aimlessly forward in the faint hope we would win a throw in and then maybe scramble one in.
If only....

#56 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:57 PM

View PostSkywalker, on Jan 19 2008, 07:54 PM, said:

Those achievements were superb, but the football on offer was simply dire. Duncan had a purple patch in his second term in that a certain Kev Davies exploded onto the scene (Great signing by JD). Imagine if he hadn't, I dread to think how boring we would have been.

How many goals did we score from creative attacking open play? Even from direct play we were boring. From Hewitt's powder puff predictable corners to Nicky's 9 Iron's, hell even our throw in's were just launched in the box 'hoping' to scramble one in.

Hewitt's job was to fetch the ball for Nicky if it went out of play.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#57 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:18 PM

View PostBlueprint, on Jan 19 2008, 07:40 PM, said:

He was doing the business while he was here though, and his record before we signed him kind of spoke for itself. We were lacking goals, we had our best striker on the bench, what good was that doing?

What good was it doing? Well winning games and going up?

Nozzer was a player I liked, But you have to ask yourself this=

Why no-one else bought him?
Why we only paid £35k?
Why did he go into non league never to return?
A new hope.

#58 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:43 PM

View PostSkywalker, on Jan 19 2008, 07:56 PM, said:

The difference being, Duncan's long ball tactics consisted of launching it aimlessly forward in the faint hope we would win a throw in and then maybe scramble one in.

As opposed to what we do? Which is what?
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#59 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:52 PM

View Postfishini, on Jan 19 2008, 08:43 PM, said:

As opposed to what we do? Which is what?

Score goals from open play, have a decent amount of possession, try to entertain, try to win matches, be positive away from home.

Should I carry on.....
If only....

#60 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:06 PM

View PostSkywalker, on Jan 19 2008, 08:52 PM, said:

Score goals from open play, have a decent amount of possession, try to entertain, try to win matches, be positive away from home.

Should I carry on.....

and are 7th in this crap league on the back of a 3 losing games, still playing the long ball. Let me ask you a question hom many of this team would get in a JD side with the exception of Lester and JD last season when Lee sold all the players
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users