• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Derbyshire CCC

#61 User is offline   another fine mess 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:00 PM

Yes some great days in the " Park " Les Jackson putting Aussie bowler into the far lake for two sixes,

My boyhood hero Harold Rhodes called for " throwing " by Sid Bullar, nie on causing a riot, spectators bottling him when they came off for lunch.

I remember Harold taking all ten wickets ( all clean bowled ) against cutthorpe, I think he was playing for Belper Meadows at that time.

What a great semi final in the Gillette Cup against Sussex, still makes the hairs stand up on my neck thinking about it, only for Morgan to -alls it up at Lords against Yorkshire in the final.

Alan Ward another great bowler who should have been playing for England long before he did, and the shabby way he was treated by Brian Bolus and Derbyshire, I have seen
that many great Derbyshire cricketers over the years I could go on forever.

#62 User is offline   Stockholm Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Formerly Dubai Spireite. I used to live there, but I've moved on to Stockholm

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:44 AM

My dad kept me off school for a day in 1990 and we saw Derbyshire vs. the Indian touring team in a 50-over game at the park.

Ian Bishop was one of the quickest bowlers in the world at the time and a 16 year-old Sachin Tendulkar made him look ordinary on his way to 105 not out.

#63 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:53 AM

View PostStockholm Spireite, on 01 May 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

My dad kept me off school for a day in 1990 and we saw Derbyshire vs. the Indian touring team in a 50-over game at the park.

Ian Bishop was one of the quickest bowlers in the world at the time and a 16 year-old Sachin Tendulkar made him look ordinary on his way to 105 not out.

Seen Bishop bowl from one end and I think Devon Malcolm the other on Queen's Park. You saw them run up, turn their arms over then nothing other than the clunk on the bat or it thudding into the keepers gloves!!

#64 User is offline   another fine mess 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:44 PM

Being a Derbyshire man I always preferred Derbyshire born and bred bowlers, but for what ever reason they was always at the back of the queue regarding getting into the England side, perhaps they couldn't talk rate.

But my choice of an overseas bowler to grace the hallowed " Park Turf " for Derbyshire would be without doubt the potent "Whispering Death "

#65 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:58 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 29 April 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

If memory serves Kevin Randall, Gerry Clarke and Dan Archer occasionally turned out for the Taverners when they shared the Glassworks ground (Proact) and they then played out of the Racecourse Tavern (boozer bottom of Stand Road) hence Taverners

I think Barrie Hubbard was also involved in the running of the Taverners as well

#66 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:05 PM

View Postanother fine mess, on 30 April 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

Yes some great days in the " Park " Les Jackson putting Aussie bowler into the far lake for two sixes,

My boyhood hero Harold Rhodes called for " throwing " by Sid Bullar, nie on causing a riot, spectators bottling him when they came off for lunch.

I remember Harold taking all ten wickets ( all clean bowled ) against cutthorpe, I think he was playing for Belper Meadows at that time.

What a great semi final in the Gillette Cup against Sussex, still makes the hairs stand up on my neck thinking about it, only for Morgan to -alls it up at Lords against Yorkshire in the final.

Alan Ward another great bowler who should have been playing for England long before he did, and the shabby way he was treated by Brian Bolus and Derbyshire, I have seen
that many great Derbyshire cricketers over the years I could go on forever.

That semi-final against Sussex in 1969 had John Arlott say on Tv that it was the first time he had heard football style chanting from the crowd at a cricket match

It was a great atmosphere that day and sussex who were regarded as a top one day side then just could not cope with it

Peter eyre took 6-18 as Sussex were all out 49

the official attendance was given as 10,500 but estimates put it as nearer 14,000

It must have been an important match because my mother went to it lol

#67 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 24 April 2017 - 09:06 PM, said:

Seems to have been Kim Barnett's idea. Silly of course.

I did mean this in the 'proper' cricket by the way.

It sounds like a top knock yesterday and a genuine all round performance. Has anyone ever scored a hundred and took three wickets in the same one-day game for Derbyshire? Barnett himself possibly when he bowled more in his early days?

#68 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:49 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 01 May 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

It sounds like a top knock yesterday and a genuine all round performance. Has anyone ever scored a hundred and took three wickets in the same one-day game for Derbyshire? Barnett himself possibly when he bowled more in his early days?

Good question WS

It was a top knock by Thakor yesterday

He helped get himself out by trying to get a second run when he was dropped off a above waist height no ball on the boundary edge

the other batsman Smit stood in his crease as Thakor charged down the wicket and could not get back to beat the throw from the boundary

Lets see if we can do the same to notts tomorrow at derby

This post has been edited by whittman: 01 May 2017 - 04:49 PM

#69 User is offline   Stockholm Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Formerly Dubai Spireite. I used to live there, but I've moved on to Stockholm

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:10 PM

View PostJonB, on 01 May 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

Seen Bishop bowl from one end and I think Devon Malcolm the other on Queen's Park. You saw them run up, turn their arms over then nothing other than the clunk on the bat or it thudding into the keepers gloves!!

Dev had the longest, most languid approach to the crease I've ever seen. Bish was rhythm and power. But yes, the the sound of the ball hitting the bat, the wicket-keepers gloves or the outside edge were how we sometimes saw the game. Jeez, they were quick!

View Postanother fine mess, on 01 May 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

Being a Derbyshire man I always preferred Derbyshire born and bred bowlers, but for what ever reason they was always at the back of the queue regarding getting into the England side, perhaps they couldn't talk rate.

But my choice of an overseas bowler to grace the hallowed " Park Turf " for Derbyshire would be without doubt the potent "Whispering Death "

My dad told me the stories of Jackson and Gladwin bowling in tandem, also Harold Rhodes and then Alan Ward. We saw Michael Holding together and for me, he was the best fast bowler to wear Derbyshire colours.

I played a lot of Bassetlaw league cricket with Steetley (Shireoaks, near worksop) and their history is littered with ex-Notts players who dominated after their first class careers had ended. Men like Freddie Stocks, Eric Martin and John Loates, as well as Ted Ward, who worked at the Steetley company after being released by Notts as a junior and went on to be the best wicket-keeper in the league for many years. Ted was advised by his father that career at Steetley and playing on a weekend was more secure than contracts with Notts. Sliding doors...

I played against Derek Randall when he turned out for Caythorpe; the Saxelby and French brothers at Welbeck Colliery; Mark Fell and Paul Franks at Farnsfield; but the fastest bowler I ever faced was Andy Pick (in his prime at Notts and touring with England 'A') when he played for Clipstone. That was the only time I'd been scared batting. Instead of opening as I usually did, my captain said I was to bat at 3. Second over, I walk out white as a sheet, having just seen our best player take a bouncer on his helmet!

If you know the Spar shop on Newbold road, opposite the Chesterfield Arms, there was a bloke in there for years who played for Derbyshire Colts and 2nd's and was at the same England trial as Ian Botham. His father, who owned the shop suggested his future lay in retail and the family business and cricket became a hobby instead of a career option. If I can remember his name, I'll post on here again, but right now it escapes me - yet I can see his face as I type.

#70 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:16 PM

I've also played against Randall and even managed to get him out a couple of times when he played for Matlock. Faced Footitt as he came back from injury but still quick enough but quickest was an overseas at Belper Meadows called Asad Ali who later played a few ODIs for Pakistan. I had to go in ball after he'd split the box of Jordan Burrow who played a bit for us..I got cleaned up first ball!! Also got Ben Slater out a few times in his earlier Chesterfield days and also Harvey Hossein stumped for Matlock against us when he was barely taller than the stumps!! Probably quite a few other Derbyshire lot from playing Swarkestone as well.

#71 User is offline   Rodney's Moustache 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:40 PM

View Postmoondog, on 28 April 2017 - 11:32 PM, said:

My memory of the Taverners ground is that they were happy to serve us underage's (16 year old's at the time with ale, Stones) a large influx of budding cricketers followed...

I will never forget your over indulgence in Stones Mr Moondog. ps I won't mention the wardrobe

#72 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:09 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 01 May 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

Great win the other day and top run chase but feel today could be a stern test....Notts look like having Broad and Ball coming on as change bowlers after Gurney and Pattinson!!

#73 User is offline   The Peoples Champion 

• Broadswordcallingdannyboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

View PostJonB, on 02 May 2017 - 10:09 AM, said:

Great win the other day and top run chase but feel today could be a stern test....Notts look like having Broad and Ball coming on as change bowlers after Gurney and Pattinson!!

93-0 after 16 overs !!!

#74 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:19 AM

View PostThe Peoples Champion, on 02 May 2017 - 11:11 AM, said:

93-0 after 16 overs !!!

Aye....great start but if 4 seamers with international experience are going round the park to an extent it makes you concerned about Cotton, Milnes, Thakor & Hughes especially looking at their batting line up. Need to get well top side of 300 and then hope the spinners do well.

#75 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:08 PM

View PostJonB, on 02 May 2017 - 11:19 AM, said:

Aye....great start but if 4 seamers with international experience are going round the park to an extent it makes you concerned about Cotton, Milnes, Thakor & Hughes especially looking at their batting line up. Need to get well top side of 300 and then hope the spinners do well.

Not made the most of the start. They'll be lucky to get to 300 which is not likely to be enough

Why Smit came in before Wilson, lord only knows
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#76 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:14 PM

View Postazul, on 02 May 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

Not made the most of the start. They'll be lucky to get to 300 which is not likely to be enough

Why Smit came in before Wilson, lord only knows

Just tweeted exactly the same about Wilson being left so late to come in, as you say should have been in before Smit. They should get to 300 but should have been more.

#77 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:43 PM

Tom Milnes doing a fantastic job of giving the game to Notts

#78 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:02 PM

20 more might have been enough which is what we should have got.

If we'd had Palladino and Viljoen instead of Milnes and Cotton I suspect we'd have won too. Milnes seem incapable of bowling to a plan in any form of cricket so needs to be dropped.

#79 User is offline   Paul Fisher 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

[quote name='Westbars Spireite' timestamp='1493751753' post='1300584']
20 more might have been enough which is what we should have got.

If we'd had Palladino and Viljoen instead of Milnes and Cotton I suspect we'd have won too. Milnes seem incapable of bowling to a plan in any form of cricket so needs to be dropped.

For Milnes read Carter

#80 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

Carter? What, soon to pack in?

Share this topic:

• (88 Pages)
  • +
  • « First