• You cannot reply to this topic

General Election It Is Then... Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 May 2024 - 06:46 PM

The Earl of Chesterfield, on 23 May 2024 - 06:19 PM, said:

Barely one day in and Sunak's circus continues unravelling before our very eyes... https://bylinetimes....ordinary-voter/

https://www.independ...r-b2550218.html

It's a trap.
A Rwanda flight carrying illegal immigrants will take off just before July 4th.
It's their only chance.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#62 User is offline   Bobby Darling 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2024 - 11:22 PM

The Earl of Chesterfield, on 23 May 2024 - 12:36 PM, said:

Less than twenty four hours and Sunak's gaffes are already totting up.

Like asking workers if they're looking forward to the Euro's...in Wales...

Sunak is a rich entitled person who has become more rich and entitled. His lack of political nous is legendary. He didn’t beat Truss. He doesn’t listen to his advisors. He discounted advice to go out in the rain and inform the electorate that he was a capable leader. That caused so much disbelief amongst Tories. Nearly as much as him rejecting his election strategy consultant’s advice as to the timing of the election. He is so bad that some serious people who are close to him believe he wants out now and is under pressure from his wife to quit. Sunak? Starmer? Give over.

This post has been edited by Bobby Darling: 23 May 2024 - 11:24 PM

#63 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 24 May 2024 - 05:27 AM

More tories quit as their party falls even further in polls: https://www.msn.com/...id=BingNewsSerp
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#64 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 24 May 2024 - 06:58 AM

Starmer ducking out of weekly live debates were his squirming would be witnessed by millions if favour of getting out and about meeting voters, in organised media ops of course!
Be careful on electing this man!
East stand second class citizen.

#65 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 24 May 2024 - 07:51 AM

Remembering Boris the Liar his in fridges rather than debate, of course...

#66 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2024 - 07:52 AM

Here is me thinking we elect parties and policies - not an individual. Not hearing much about those at the moment...

(Intrigued how someone so supportive of the other party knows all about Sunak's inner sanctum and what happened in the lead up to the announcement - and of course can be sure it hasnt been enhanced or rehashed to suit the purpose of the party that he follows... but hey, that's politics, say something as fact often enough so people believe it).

When they start talking about specifics of policies - what do they intend to do with income tax rates and thresholds, how will they deal with benefits that should be based on household income not individual income, what will they do with corporation tax, CGT, IHT, how do they plan to resolve the NHS conundrum, what are they going to do about pensions inequality, how do we solve the homeless problem, how do we better care for our aged.... you know stuff that matters, not what Sunak said to some workers in Wales or why Starmer was at Gillingham for s scripted photo op with supporters...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#67 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tarn, cycling.

Posted 24 May 2024 - 08:31 AM

isleaiw1, on 24 May 2024 - 07:52 AM, said:

Here is me thinking we elect parties and policies - not an individual. Not hearing much about those at the moment...

(Intrigued how someone so supportive of the other party knows all about Sunak's inner sanctum and what happened in the lead up to the announcement - and of course can be sure it hasnt been enhanced or rehashed to suit the purpose of the party that he follows... but hey, that's politics, say something as fact often enough so people believe it).

When they start talking about specifics of policies - what do they intend to do with income tax rates and thresholds, how will they deal with benefits that should be based on household income not individual income, what will they do with corporation tax, CGT, IHT, how do they plan to resolve the NHS conundrum, what are they going to do about pensions inequality, how do we solve the homeless problem, how do we better care for our aged.... you know stuff that matters, not what Sunak said to some workers in Wales or why Starmer was at Gillingham for s scripted photo op with supporters...

Did you hear Yvette Cooper yesterday on 5live? Shadow Home Secretary.

Wouldn?t put a target on immigration. Wouldn?t say by when. Wouldn?t say when, how and what a 1000 new immigration officers will do.

Time for sound bytes and we?re not the Tories to stop. As the guy on QT said?.i want to but make me vote Labour

This post has been edited by s42blue: 24 May 2024 - 08:36 AM

"Can't change or choose your football club. Sorry son"

#68 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2024 - 08:36 AM

Mr Mercury, on 24 May 2024 - 06:58 AM, said:

Starmer ducking out of weekly live debates were his squirming would be witnessed by millions if favour of getting out and about meeting voters, in organised media ops of course!
Be careful on electing this man!

Sunak being politically inept and lacking charisma

The Earl of Chesterfield, on 24 May 2024 - 07:51 AM, said:

Remembering Boris the Liar his in fridges rather than debate, of course...

Typically anyone but Conservatives. ABC

Where?s the debate gone?

#69 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2024 - 08:46 AM

s42blue, on 24 May 2024 - 08:31 AM, said:

Did you hear Yvette Cooper yesterday on 5live? Shadow Home Secretary.

Wouldn?t put a target on immigration. Wouldn?t say by when. Wouldn?t say when, how and what a 1000 new immigration officers will do.

Time for sound bytes and we?re not the Tories to stop. As the guy on QT said?.i want to but make me vote Labour

The current brand of politics is to just make stuff up on the hoof and/or to promise whatever focus groups want to hear. 40 new hospitals etc. Labour shouldn't ape the Tory 'policy' chaos.

Starmer on ITV this morning. Asked how much energy bills will go down by under the Labour Energy plan. A nonsense question that cannot possibly be answered with a sound bite. After being goaded by the rude interviewer Starmer intimated '?400'on average. Within seconds the banner headline read 'Labour to cut energy bills by ?400'. Simple number; simply wrong.

My point being that economics isn't best served by snappy soundbites, empty promises, meaningless targets or lies.

Cooper could have given soundbite answers to improtant questions. That she didn't shows her to have integrity and to be a serious politician.

#70 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2024 - 08:46 AM

Hey Chris, can we talk about going back on pledges and not sticking to what they said they would do.... but not the LDs and tuition fees, this time its Kier Starmer and tuition fees... It was in the last Labour manifesto, it was in his manifesto to become Labour leader... but now they arent going to do it.

Going to bad mouth him for not being able to do everything he wanted to do, or will it now be a sensible decision to prioritise other things...

I'm going for the second in a wholly hypocritical way!
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#71 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2024 - 08:53 AM

isleaiw1, on 24 May 2024 - 08:46 AM, said:

Hey Chris, can we talk about going back on pledges and not sticking to what they said they would do.... but not the LDs and tuition fees, this time its Kier Starmer and tuition fees... It was in the last Labour manifesto, it was in his manifesto to become Labour leader... but now they arent going to do it.

Going to bad mouth him for not being able to do everything he wanted to do, or will it now be a sensible decision to prioritise other things...

I'm going for the second in a wholly hypocritical way!

Presumably you think that Starmer should press ahead with the priorities in the previous Labour manifesto whether the country can now afford them or not? Presumably Starmer shouldn't seek to address any priorities that have arisen since them too?

Something of a shift from your usual position, if so.

#72 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2024 - 08:57 AM

dart in the crossbar, on 24 May 2024 - 08:46 AM, said:

The current brand of politics is to just make stuff up on the hoof and/or to promise whatever focus groups want to hear. 40 new hospitals etc. Labour shouldn't ape the Tory 'policy' chaos.

Starmer on ITV this morning. Asked how much energy bills will go down by under the Labour Energy plan. A nonsense question that cannot possibly be answered with a sound bite. After being goaded by the rude interviewer Starmer intimated '?400'on average. Within seconds the banner headline read 'Labour to cut energy bills by ?400'. Simple number; simply wrong.

My point being that economics isn't best served by snappy soundbites, empty promises, meaningless targets or lies.

Cooper could have given soundbite answers to improtant questions. That she didn't shows her to have integrity and to be a serious politician.

Definitely agree re soundbytes being dangerous, but YC lacked any kind of detail. A fine line but a difference. She couldn?t explain the Labour plan.

I?m actually a YC fan so it was a disappointment.

I didn?t see the KS interview but that sounds naive to fall in to a trap like that. As I say..fine lines.

#73 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2024 - 09:17 AM

dart in the crossbar, on 24 May 2024 - 08:53 AM, said:

Presumably you think that Starmer should press ahead with the priorities in the previous Labour manifesto whether the country can now afford them or not? Presumably Starmer shouldn't seek to address any priorities that have arisen since them too?

Something of a shift from your usual position, if so.

No, I think you should do what is right at the time and best for the country. But I wasnt the one slagging another party for doing that...

So far, I've preferred the bits when they say we cant afford that to the bits where they randomly have ideas to solve problems as though everyone before them was stupid and its an easy problem to solve, that smacks of naievety.

(On tuition fees, I'd rather we kept them and you paid them back regardless, might stop people going for 3 years of partying that does nothing to improve their job prospects!)
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#74 User is offline   Valley Blues 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2024 - 09:39 AM

isleaiw1, on 24 May 2024 - 09:17 AM, said:

No, I think you should do what is right at the time and best for the country. But I wasnt the one slagging another party for doing that...

So far, I've preferred the bits when they say we cant afford that to the bits where they randomly have ideas to solve problems as though everyone before them was stupid and its an easy problem to solve, that smacks of naievety.

(On tuition fees, I'd rather we kept them and you paid them back regardless, might stop people going for 3 years of partying that does nothing to improve their job prospects!)

You mean like Starmers plan to control immigration by smashing the organised crime groups smuggling folk into the country?
All done by teatime and back for tea and medals.

Can?t believe no one else thought of that straightforward solution.

Sunak is woeful and his days are obviously numbered.

However, whether folk agree or disagree with his Rwanda plan, and whether the left like it or not there will be large swathes of the UK population that do agree with it, it?s actually an attempt to press forward with something decisive. It is highly controversial and the only way it could actually be judged in its numerical success would be over time, which it won?t have.

Starmer has said he will bin it immediately and set up a border force to smash these gangs at source. Easy as that.

Anyone else fear his actual response will be a lot of fannying about and blaming the Tories for what?s gone before, rather than take any positive action?

I won?t be voting Tory. Horrible bunch and proven themselves wholly untrustworthy.

But Labour under Starmer?

I?m not sure what?s worse, attempting something decisive yet controversial or failing to offer any structure and plan as to how these magical results are going to be achieved.

I was reading the other day that over the past couple of years Labours support hasn?t actually increased. The Tory support has fallen through the floor.

There are millions of Tory voters that, at this time, simply aren?t casting their vote. They are so disillusioned with the Tories but wholly underwhelmed by Labour.

Where will they go at the ballot box?

Starmers got a huge chance and it would be nothing short of a complete political embarrassment if he doesn?t become the next PM but I think he has a hell of a lot of work to do over the next few weeks.

Time will tell.

This post has been edited by Valley Blues: 24 May 2024 - 09:57 AM

#75 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 24 May 2024 - 03:33 PM

Ship...sinking...rats...leaving...

https://www.mirror.c...itting-32885330

#76 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 24 May 2024 - 03:50 PM

Why has Sunak gone to Belfast today to do electioneering? When was the last Conservative MP returned from Northern Ireland?
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#77 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 24 May 2024 - 04:04 PM

To no one's real surprise... https://www.bbc.co.u...es/c288xxvrdz7o

And Corbyn will be re-elected as he's a hugely popular local MP.

However his Labour exit makes two key points: firstly, it underlines the party's move back towards the centre ground of politics and, second, it places into sharp focus Rishi 'The Drip' Sunak's inability to discipline tories openly endorsing Farage...

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 24 May 2024 - 04:06 PM

#78 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 24 May 2024 - 04:06 PM

Johnnyspireite7, on 24 May 2024 - 03:50 PM, said:

Why has Sunak gone to Belfast today to do electioneering? When was the last Conservative MP returned from Northern Ireland?

Because that's where the Titanic was built....?

#79 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 24 May 2024 - 04:17 PM

The Earl of Chesterfield, on 24 May 2024 - 04:06 PM, said:

Because that's where the Titanic was built....?

I?ll give ya that one?.very good!
East stand second class citizen.

#80 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 24 May 2024 - 04:27 PM

Valley Blues, on 24 May 2024 - 09:39 AM, said:

Starmers got a huge chance and it would be nothing short of a complete political embarrassment if he doesn?t become the next PM but I think he has a hell of a lot of work to do over the next few weeks.

Time will tell.

His Radio 4 interview after 8am this morning was very weak indeed.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

Share this topic:

• (27 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users