• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Next 5 Years

#21 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 30 March 2024 - 08:52 PM

I'm just so grateful that we will be playing in league two next season, and anything more than consolidation will be great. Back to back promotions would be in the territory of Roy of the Rovers, but it's not beyond Cook.

#22 User is offline   matthew 

• Trialist
  • PipPip
  • Interests:chesterfield fc and house music

Posted 30 March 2024 - 09:17 PM

hopefully we'll keep progressing on and off the pitch, can see us in league one but as long as we never return to the depths of the national league, i'll be very happy. my personal hopes are for cook to stay for a while longer than last time, and for us to be challenging for league one playoffs again.
all town aren't we?

#23 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 March 2024 - 12:15 AM

View Postgordon_brittas, on 30 March 2024 - 07:47 PM, said:

Can’t argue with any of that.

From a selfish point of view I’d love to knock a big premier league club out of a cup competition, create a bit of folklore to look back on in years to come 🤞

i'll add a bit to what i said, for the majority of my time supporting town whenever we dropped to division 4 it always felt temporary and that we'd get back to our level soon enough, i believe we belong in league one. the last 6 years have been more than sobering to say the least, playing teams i'd never heard of and sometimes losing to them. does it make you settle for league 2? erm no not really and i can guarantee that as soon as next season kicks off we won't want to see our side beaten, because you never do want that, when we do lose people will moan and call out tactics, players, whatever/whoever to vent their frustrations because we want to win.
we will next season encounter the almost forgotten phenomena of away fans in our stadium, this can add to the intensity of a game.

i have no idea who will come into our club next season but i have a feeling we will not be settling for survival, we will not be settling for mid table, we will be targetting at the very least play offs and most likely i suspect promotion, remember in league 2 that 3 teams go up out right, the margin of error is so much greater than we have known for 6 years. getting back to league 1 will not be a formality but it is i believe the ambition of everyone at the club and when boardroom, dug out, dressing room and the terraces all align, the acheivement of such goals is so much more possible than when even one part of this is not aligned.

#24 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2024 - 07:41 AM

And west ham, I

#25 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 31 March 2024 - 07:53 AM

View Postjack bauer, on 31 March 2024 - 12:15 AM, said:

i'll add a bit to what i said, for the majority of my time supporting town whenever we dropped to division 4 it always felt temporary and that we'd get back to our level soon enough, i believe we belong in league one. the last 6 years have been more than sobering to say the least, playing teams i'd never heard of and sometimes losing to them. does it make you settle for league 2? erm no not really and i can guarantee that as soon as next season kicks off we won't want to see our side beaten, because you never do want that, when we do lose people will moan and call out tactics, players, whatever/whoever to vent their frustrations because we want to win.
we will next season encounter the almost forgotten phenomena of away fans in our stadium, this can add to the intensity of a game.

i have no idea who will come into our club next season but i have a feeling we will not be settling for survival, we will not be settling for mid table, we will be targetting at the very least play offs and most likely i suspect promotion, remember in league 2 that 3 teams go up out right, the margin of error is so much greater than we have known for 6 years. getting back to league 1 will not be a formality but it is i believe the ambition of everyone at the club and when boardroom, dug out, dressing room and the terraces all align, the acheivement of such goals is so much more possible than when even one part of this is not aligned.

Cutting my Town supporting teeth in the seventies means this is more or less where I'm at, too.

Though what I/we've witnessed over the decades has been a tale of 'boom and bust'.

Almost literally on occasion.

So I'm happy to see steady progression built upon stability. Solid and sustainable principles on and off the pitch.

However given our fanbase, manager and noises emanating fron the new owners, there's no reason to discount another promotion challenge at a levwl at which we've proven hugely successful...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#26 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend

Posted 31 March 2024 - 09:22 AM

With the ground and the fanbase we should be a solid L1 club with flirtations with the top 7 and bottom 4

We were a L2 club at Saltergate with the occasional foray into L1

There are National League sized clubs in L1, no reason why we couldn’t be semi competitive in there
JRID

#27 User is offline   Exharboroughspireite 

• ExHarboroughspireite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2024 - 09:28 AM

i never want to go back to non league. I would like the infrastructure sorted so that our academy starts developing players that can push for first team slots at a professional level. on the pitch I would be happy pushing for play offs next year - mid table consolidation as a minimum. for that we need to strengthen a few key areas and hopefully cook has his targets lined up already

#28 User is offline   tedspireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2024 - 09:54 AM

View Posts42blue, on 30 March 2024 - 05:42 PM, said:

I’d like to see the momentum carry on and make the playoffs minimum. I think with the supposed marquee signings we should have a chance. After that…I don’t think holding our own in L1 is too big an ask. Like others I’d love to see a promotion to Championship which I’ve never seen.

I’m just looking forward to the new season tbh.

Yes I would like to see us having at least one season in championship. anything is possible.just ask Luton bet they never thought they be in premier League even if it's just the one season. am sure we will be challenging in league 2 . bring it on .⚽👍

#29 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 31 March 2024 - 10:19 AM

View Posttedspireite, on 31 March 2024 - 09:54 AM, said:

Yes I would like to see us having at least one season in championship. anything is possible.just ask Luton bet they never thought they be in premier League even if it's just the one season. am sure we will be challenging in league 2 . bring it on .⚽👍

Not to be forgotten that they were in Division One before the Premier League was formed. It's not just Oldham that have had time the top division of England that have dropped into the National League/Conference level, Football did not start in 1992 even for the revisionists, Carlisle, Oxford United, Leyton Orient, Notts County, Luton and Oldham are the teams that have had seats at the head table in the past that have dropped to this level. There is a special case also to include AFC Wimbledon in the list as they class themselves as the phoenix club of the old Wimbledon team.
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#30 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 31 March 2024 - 11:09 AM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 31 March 2024 - 10:19 AM, said:

Not to be forgotten that they were in Division One before the Premier League was formed. It's not just Oldham that have had time the top division of England that have dropped into the National League/Conference level, Football did not start in 1992 even for the revisionists, Carlisle, Oxford United, Leyton Orient, Notts County, Luton and Oldham are the teams that have had seats at the head table in the past that have dropped to this level. There is a special case also to include AFC Wimbledon in the list as they class themselves as the phoenix club of the old Wimbledon team.

Re Luton- correct, they spent 4 years in the top league, in the 50s, and were beaten FA Cup finalists in 1959.

#31 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 31 March 2024 - 11:58 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 31 March 2024 - 11:09 AM, said:

Re Luton- correct, they spent 4 years in the top league, in the 50s, and were beaten FA Cup finalists in 1959.

More recently than that, they were in division one between 1981 (David Pleat's jig when they beat Man City to stay up and relegate City at the end of the 81/82 season) and 1992, they dropped out the season before the PL started along with Notts County and West Ham.
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users