• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Next 5 Years

#1 User is offline   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 March 2024 - 10:36 AM

Realistically as a club where do you expect us to be in 5 seasons time?

I look at Lincoln, who traditionally are a tiny bit smaller club than us in terms of support and they are fighting for the playoffs in League 1. They have a good group of young players and play quick attacking football.

They have rebuilt the side 2/3 times since the Cowleys departed and despite losing the playoff final a couple of years ago they remain a very competitive side at that level.

I’d snap your hands off right now to be in that position.

I think as a club I’d like to see steady progress year on year. I don’t want to be ever in a position where we realistically have fears of returning back to this god forsaken hell of a league.

This post has been edited by gordon_brittas: 30 March 2024 - 10:37 AM

Management Accepts New Ideas And Criticism...When Im Managaging think MANIAC!!

#2 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 30 March 2024 - 10:56 AM

Steady the ship in league 2, unless we really are leading the pack and then the second season go for promotion to league 1. Who knows after that. I will be happy for the club to be in that league for a few years, although I would like to see us in the championship for just one year before I croak.

#3 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2024 - 10:58 AM

I think it’s a reasonable, and achievable, aspiration to be a L1 club in 5 years.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#4 User is offline   stainlessstephen 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2024 - 11:31 AM

Solid and steady L1 club
Mainframe... Uncle Eric is helping police with their enquiries

#5 User is offline   StaffsSpireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2024 - 12:24 PM

I know a lot of people have grand expectations for next season but id be more than happy just consolidating in there mid table ish next season and then hopefully pushing for promotion/play offs the season after.

This post has been edited by StaffsSpireite: 30 March 2024 - 12:24 PM

#6 User is offline   LondonBlue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2024 - 12:40 PM

In 5 years? Mid table league 1 with Danny Webb in charge. I expect Cook to get us to League 1 and then move onto bigger and better things.

#7 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2024 - 12:42 PM

View PostStaffsSpireite, on 30 March 2024 - 12:24 PM, said:

I know a lot of people have grand expectations for next season but id be more than happy just consolidating in there mid table ish next season and then hopefully pushing for promotion/play offs the season after.

Give what we have, what we have achieved this season, I think anything outside the play offs will be disappointing, given Dyers comments about us bringing in another couple of top signings.
The standard will be higher at the top end but there is a lot of mediocrity in there.
3 big budget teams could be going up and the ones coming down from league one don’t look certainties to challenge.

#8 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 30 March 2024 - 12:56 PM

View Postgordon_brittas, on 30 March 2024 - 10:36 AM, said:

Realistically as a club where do you expect us to be in 5 seasons time?

I look at Lincoln, who traditionally are a tiny bit smaller club than us in terms of support and they are fighting for the playoffs in League 1. They have a good group of young players and play quick attacking football.

They have rebuilt the side 2/3 times since the Cowleys departed and despite losing the playoff final a couple of years ago they remain a very competitive side at that level.

I’d snap your hands off right now to be in that position.

I think as a club I’d like to see steady progress year on year. I don’t want to be ever in a position where we realistically have fears of returning back to this god forsaken hell of a league.

Pretty much where I’m at, although back to back promotions is great, getting to the play offs next season as a minimum and then strengthen the squad for promotion the season after unless sufficient funds are made available and the right players obtained for next season and then build again in league 1 ready to push for the championship and Cooky going down in history as the greatest ever manager
Have passport will travel

#9 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2024 - 01:45 PM

View PostBenno Spire, on 30 March 2024 - 12:56 PM, said:

Pretty much where I’m at, although back to back promotions is great, getting to the play offs next season as a minimum and then strengthen the squad for promotion the season after unless sufficient funds are made available and the right players obtained for next season and then build again in league 1 ready to push for the championship and Cooky going down in history as the greatest ever manager

I think our manager is here for the long haul, unless he's offered good money and a gig somewhere he really wants to be. There's several reasons he came back, he loves the club, he likes the area, he loves being loved by most of the fans, and I think he has unfinished business here which he wants to complete to show Allen what he could have had.

#10 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC,Travel,Real Ale,Music

Posted 30 March 2024 - 02:58 PM

View PostOsborne again, on 30 March 2024 - 01:45 PM, said:

I think our manager is here for the long haul, unless he's offered good money and a gig somewhere he really wants to be. There's several reasons he came back, he loves the club, he likes the area, he loves being loved by most of the fans, and I think he has unfinished business here which he wants to complete to show Allen what he could have had.

Pretty much what I imagine most are thinking,with the added bonus that he will be backed by the Kirk Brothers.(Are they our version of the Blues Brothers with the 'can do' attitude? :rolleyes: LOL)

This post has been edited by HaslandBlue58: 30 March 2024 - 02:59 PM

#11 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2024 - 03:22 PM

View PostHaslandBlue58, on 30 March 2024 - 02:58 PM, said:

Pretty much what I imagine most are thinking,with the added bonus that he will be backed by the Kirk Brothers.(Are they our version of the Blues Brothers with the 'can do' attitude? :rolleyes: LOL)

🤣🤣🤣, could be. Would I rather have a billionaire Arab prince or two wealthy home grown supporters 🤔, I'll stick with the Kirk brothers.

#12 User is offline   Sussex Spireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Town, Harvey's Old Ale, Weller, Lewes FC and Levante FC

Posted 30 March 2024 - 03:27 PM

What I would like and what will actually happen are of course two separate things. But I would like us to be a Rotherham, bobbing up and down from L1 to the Championship.
Please God, just one season in the Championship before I curl up my toes!
Growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional

#13 User is offline   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2024 - 03:47 PM

I’d like to see a decent cup run chucked in the next few years, really enjoyed the Carling Cup run up at Saltergate where Folan, Larkin and Niven dished out goals to knock out several Premier League sides.

I don’t think we’ve faced a current Premier League side in the cup at home since moving to Sheffield Road so be nice to break that to.

#14 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2024 - 05:36 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 30 March 2024 - 12:42 PM, said:

Give what we have, what we have achieved this season, I think anything outside the play offs will be disappointing, given Dyers comments about us bringing in another couple of top signings.
The standard will be higher at the top end but there is a lot of mediocrity in there.
3 big budget teams could be going up and the ones coming down from league one don’t look certainties to challenge.

Given the change in ownership, that PC is our manager, the last two seasons, the record home attendances, and the upward trajectory we are on, it's hard not to get carried away. I'm a bit torn as to how the club should play next season, play it down in an attempt to manage supporter expectation or try and capitalise on the momentum.

I'm looking forward to it with no expectations other than knowing that for 99% of games, PC's side turn up and give the opposition a game.

#15 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2024 - 05:39 PM

When Town were doing well in Division 3 my old man used to say that the club didn't want to get into Division 2 as they wouldn't be able to afford the costs. I thought that he was wrong at the time. Moving forwards several steps from where we are, a fleeting spell in the Championship would be ok I guess. Providing that the owners don't go for a boom and bust approach with lengthy, expensive player contracts and the rest.

#16 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tarn, cycling.

Posted 30 March 2024 - 05:42 PM

I’d like to see the momentum carry on and make the playoffs minimum. I think with the supposed marquee signings we should have a chance. After that…I don’t think holding our own in L1 is too big an ask. Like others I’d love to see a promotion to Championship which I’ve never seen.

I’m just looking forward to the new season tbh.
"Can't change or choose your football club. Sorry son"

#17 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 30 March 2024 - 07:39 PM

View Postdart in the crossbar, on 30 March 2024 - 05:39 PM, said:

When Town were doing well in Division 3 my old man used to say that the club didn't want to get into Division 2 as they wouldn't be able to afford the costs. I thought that he was wrong at the time. Moving forwards several steps from where we are, a fleeting spell in the Championship would be ok I guess. Providing that the owners don't go for a boom and bust approach with lengthy, expensive player contracts and the rest.

From my question at the AGM to Phil Kirk, and apologies Phil if I get this wrong, but he said he/they (the Kirk’s) were quite willing and happy to back the club financially into a L1 club, but the costs difference between L1 and the Championship were that wide that to sustain a proper Championship club it would require further investment, which in itself might not be a problem but it would have to be the “right people” getting on board!
East stand second class citizen.

#18 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2024 - 07:45 PM

paul cook said that every supporter of every club has an idea of where their team should be, for me that is division 3 (league 1 as it is now), i would think we could attain that status within the next 5 years. we're due a wembley win, having lost our last 2, of course not played in the league cup or the JPT (whatever it now is) for a good few years so be nice to have a run in these, most importantly i hope the club never returns to the national league.

#19 User is offline   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2024 - 07:47 PM

View Postjack bauer, on 30 March 2024 - 07:45 PM, said:

paul cook said that every supporter of every club has an idea of where their team should be, for me that is division 3 (league 1 as it is now), i would think we could attain that status within the next 5 years. we're due a wembley win, having lost our last 2, of course not played in the league cup or the JPT (whatever it now is) for a good few years so be nice to have a run in these, most importantly i hope the club never returns to the national league.

Can’t argue with any of that.

From a selfish point of view I’d love to knock a big premier league club out of a cup competition, create a bit of folklore to look back on in years to come 🤞

#20 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 30 March 2024 - 08:06 PM

View Postgordon_brittas, on 30 March 2024 - 07:47 PM, said:

Can’t argue with any of that.

From a selfish point of view I’d love to knock a big premier league club out of a cup competition, create a bit of folklore to look back on in years to come 🤞

Man City not big enough for you then? (I know it was before the UAE money took hold but even so)
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users