Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Rip Joan Evans - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

Rip Joan Evans

#1 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 May 2021 - 07:09 PM

Sad to report that North Wingfield resident Joan, a lifelong Spireite and DCC supporter, has died aged 89.
Joan and hubby Jim, who died several years ago, were centre stand season ticket holders at Saltergate for many years and they relocated to Row I, in the centre of the West Stand, as soon as the new stadium was built.
It was my privilege to give Joan a lift on match days. Sport was in her blood and he was extemely knowledgable on all sporting matters. Although there is nobody I can verify this with, I think I'm right in saying that Joan had brothers who played for CFC in the wartime years.
The end of an era.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#2 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 25 May 2021 - 07:14 PM

View Postdim view, on 25 May 2021 - 07:09 PM, said:

Sad to report that North Wingfield resident Joan, a lifelong Spireite and DCC supporter, has died aged 89.
Joan and hubby Jim, who died several years ago, were centre stand season ticket holders at Saltergate for many years and they relocated to Row I, in the centre of the West Stand, as soon as the new stadium was built.
It was my privilege to give Joan a lift on match days. Sport was in her blood and he was extemely knowledgable on all sporting matters. Although there is nobody I can verify this with, I think I'm right in saying that Joan had brothers who played for CFC in the wartime years.
The end of an era.

RIP Joan, God Bless You.
lindave

#3 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 25 May 2021 - 08:15 PM

The end of an era.

Condolences to Joan's family, God Bless.
God I hate this league.

#4 User is offline   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket, Doctor Who and criminal justice.

Posted 25 May 2021 - 08:46 PM

The end of an era.

George and Albert Dooley in 1945/46. George was a pro and played in the first team including the FA Cup. Albert was a keeper in the A team. I believe Albert is still with us.
Peter Whiteley

#5 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 25 May 2021 - 09:12 PM

View Postdalekpete, on 25 May 2021 - 08:46 PM, said:

George and Albert Dooley in 1945/46. George was a pro and played in the first team including the FA Cup. Albert was a keeper in the A team. I believe Albert is still with us.

Thanks Peter, much appreciated.
Again, I may be wrong but from memory I think the brothers were two of a large pool of talent born and bred in and around Clay Cross in that era.

#6 User is online   Spireiteboy155 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2021 - 05:35 AM

View Postdalekpete, on 25 May 2021 - 08:46 PM, said:

An Albert Dooley has posted this sad news on a fb group saying she was his sister, so it would appear you are correct.

Condolences to her family. Rip

#7 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2021 - 07:49 PM

The end of an era.

Extremely sad news.

I knew both Joan & Jim well enough to wave and say hello to.

#8 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 26 May 2021 - 07:57 PM

Did Joan sit in the East stand with her younger female relative?
Edit, just re read the original post, wrong person, sorry.
Best wishes and condolences to the family and friends.

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 26 May 2021 - 07:59 PM

East stand second class citizen.

#9 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 26 May 2021 - 08:33 PM

View PostBlue5, on 26 May 2021 - 07:49 PM, said:

Extremely sad news.

I knew both Joan & Jim well enough to wave and say hello to.

You were just too far away to qualify for half time mints.

#10 User is offline   Torteval 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2021 - 08:34 PM

The end of an era.

Yes, sadly it is the end of an era. We used to see them every game at the centre stand entrance and they used to have so much time for our kids. We also bumped into them quite often when we went down to the cricket. In the most recent seasons, Joan was always keen to know where the kids were living, and what they were doing. A truly lovely lady, a truly lovely couple. Will be missed by us all.

Share this topic:

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users