• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Palmer

#41 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 September 2023 - 09:43 PM

That's 3 I can recall Palmer's mistakes have cost us 3 goals drop him for williams

#42 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 02 September 2023 - 09:47 PM

This was last seasons views:

"I dont see the fascination with grimes,he has never played at any decent level is technically poor but always starts how the f@@k is he captain"

"We absolutely must give Palmer and Williams a try. We’ve tried a thousand different combinations across the pitch in recent weeks, and the one constant has been Grimes"

"He's been playing alongside a complete trainwreck in Grimes and still done okay despite a couple of errors. If I were to rate our centre halves it'd be Palmer, Williams, Maguire, then Grimes."

Supporters? Eh?
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#43 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 02 September 2023 - 09:50 PM

View Postmetallilad, on 02 September 2023 - 08:34 PM, said:

This makes me sick to the pits of my ample stomach. Last season people were calling for Grimes to be dropped and that Palmer should've been paired with Williams. Now Palmer is the worst defender we have? This thread is nothing short of disgusting.

Out of our defenders who is worse than Palmer?

#44 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 02 September 2023 - 09:53 PM

View Postmetallilad, on 02 September 2023 - 09:47 PM, said:

"I dont see the fascination with grimes,he has never played at any decent level is technically poor but always starts how the f@@k is he captain"

"We absolutely must give Palmer and Williams a try. We’ve tried a thousand different combinations across the pitch in recent weeks, and the one constant has been Grimes"

"He's been playing alongside a complete trainwreck in Grimes and still done okay despite a couple of errors. If I were to rate our centre halves it'd be Palmer, Williams, Maguire, then Grimes."

Supporters? Eh?

Last season Dobra was a world beater. He’s now currently confined to the bench, it can happen to the best.

#45 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 02 September 2023 - 09:54 PM

View Postdart in the crossbar, on 02 September 2023 - 09:01 PM, said:

Palmer is an honest, solid and experienced pro who is an asset and who has (by all accounts) done well for many years.

He's been out this season with a leg injury. He'll soon be 31. He'll know exactly what has happened in the last few games and what he would do if he had those moments again.

That's not to say that Palmer can't become one of those ' first yard is in his head' CHs. He probably can.

Cook shouldn't (and almost certaaily won't) hook him during a game unless he's injured. Cook probably should (and probably will) bench him for the next game to try out the new lad.

If the new lad does the necessary, Palmer may find it hard to get back in. Which is fair enough. No doubt we'll be needing him to step back up at some stage this season.

Palmer is an honest, solid and experienced pro who has made some mistakes but is still an asset.

He probably needs to find at least the first 5 yards in his head

#46 Guest_Quaker_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 02 September 2023 - 10:24 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 02 September 2023 - 09:53 PM, said:

Last season Dobra was a world beater. He’s now currently confined to the bench, it can happen to the best.

Sadly, he was an embarrassment today. His drop to the floor when no one was near him deserved a yellow card.

Such a talented lad and spoiled by a cheating personality.

#47 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 03 September 2023 - 07:12 AM

View Postdanblue, on 02 September 2023 - 08:52 PM, said:

Wasn't Palmer part of the Stockport promotion side?

He was, but when we signed him he hadn't been able to hold a place in the league above, that says alot, also the Stockport fans said he's got a mistake in him, but he will get you goals too. Unfortunately there's more mistakes than goals from him ...

Williams is better.
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#48 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 03 September 2023 - 07:36 AM

Palmer arrived and we were told he plays best in a back 3. That appears to be the case because he certainly hasn’t set the world alight in a back 4. I think the way we play obviously doesn’t help him but he has also made bog standard errors unrelated to our style of play as well. He should be dropped for sure, because he shouldn’t be allowed to play this poorly without consequence.

#49 User is online   DOUGLAS JARDINE 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 03 September 2023 - 07:40 AM

View PostPiemuncher, on 02 September 2023 - 07:13 PM, said:

I cannot understand why this man gets a game, one of the worst players I have seen in a town shirt for many years, I’m happy to be proven wrong but can anyone tell me one of his attributes because I’m struggling to think of one?

It’s absolutely clear what is going on Cook has always been a loyal manager to his players it’s what makes him such a great man manager

He has sourced a replacement and rather than drop Palmer immediately he has given him one more game maybe out of loyalty maybe that he is still our player and sometime later on in the season Cook may need him so he gets taken out of the spotlight for now works on his game gets his confidence back and then becomes a vital player for the team which we are going to need everyone btw

By doing it this way Cook hopefully keeps Palmer on side there are ways of managing people you know we just treat them as footballers and think they just collect their pay check and give zero #####

You have had your day no more Palmer bashing from now on let the lad get his mojo back

He’s still a chesterfield player so will always get my support 💙

#50 User is online   DOUGLAS JARDINE 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2023 - 07:47 AM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 02 September 2023 - 09:43 PM, said:

That's 3 I can recall Palmer's mistakes have cost us 3 goals drop him for williams

How did I know you would jump on this bandwagon !!!

And your post about quigley yesterday was the most disingenuous thing I’ve seen on here

And I’ve seen some things

#51 User is offline   Burnsy 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2023 - 08:37 AM

He's too slow and past it

#52 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 03 September 2023 - 08:59 AM

View PostPiemuncher, on 02 September 2023 - 08:38 PM, said:

It’s a message board for peoples opinions, the guy is not good enough, not his fault he’s being chosen in the starting eleven, he should not be in the team. I’m happy for you to give a reason as to why he should be playing, that’s what the board is for.

Ok, so the board is for people's opinions. Well, my opinion is that last season when people were calling for Grimes to be dropped because his confidence had gone was just short of stupid. But this season it's been surpassed by fickle supporters who now have got the claws dug into Palmer who only last season was good enough for us but this season is the worst defender the club has had. I'm not going to be one of those people who say that you must get behind the players but I do think it's pathetic that people have GOT to have a boo boy.

That's my opinion.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#53 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 03 September 2023 - 09:10 AM

View Postmetallilad, on 02 September 2023 - 09:47 PM, said:

Supporters? Eh?

Grimes improved in the last 6 games last year and has taken his good form into this year,yes he isn't perfect but he gives 100% and is imo playing well,he never made the catalogue of errors palmer is making and when palmer had the ball at his feet it's very uncomfortable,palmer needs dropping,he must have made a dozen critical errors this season already,who cares if Miguel is left footed,won't make that much difference it's pace we need
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#54 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 03 September 2023 - 09:50 AM

View PostBonnyman, on 03 September 2023 - 09:10 AM, said:

Grimes improved in the last 6 games last year and has taken his good form into this year,yes he isn't perfect but he gives 100% and is imo playing well,he never made the catalogue of errors palmer is making and when palmer had the ball at his feet it's very uncomfortable,palmer needs dropping,he must have made a dozen critical errors this season already,who cares if Miguel is left footed,won't make that much difference it's pace we need

Agree with all that.

#55 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 03 September 2023 - 09:54 AM

View PostDOUGLAS JARDINE, on 03 September 2023 - 07:47 AM, said:

How did I know you would jump on this bandwagon !!!

And your post about quigley yesterday was the most disingenuous thing I’ve seen on here

And I’ve seen some things

Shut up you tart,am I the only one criticize palmer game after game costly errors resulting in 3 goals I know of ,I praised squiggly yesterday as that was a good finish what's disenjenous about that ,go and give your teddy bear a cuddle .

#56 User is offline   martatcross 

• Legend

Posted 03 September 2023 - 10:05 AM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 03 September 2023 - 09:54 AM, said:

Shut up you tart,am I the only one criticize palmer game after game costly errors resulting in 3 goals I know of ,I praised squiggly yesterday as that was a good finish what's disenjenous about that ,go and give your teddy bear a cuddle .

Praised Quigley but couldn't help but call him Squiggly ?
Can't salute yer can't find a flag if that don't suit yer that's a drag

#57 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 03 September 2023 - 10:07 AM

Don't know where letter s came on my post

#58 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2023 - 10:07 AM

View PostGoku, on 03 September 2023 - 07:36 AM, said:

Palmer arrived and we were told he plays best in a back 3. That appears to be the case because he certainly hasn’t set the world alight in a back 4. I think the way we play obviously doesn’t help him but he has also made bog standard errors unrelated to our style of play as well. He should be dropped for sure, because he shouldn’t be allowed to play this poorly without consequence.

I feel all our CBs are more suited to a back 3 and I could imagine Palmer in the deeper Gavin Gunning type role in such a set up. Playing the high line leaves him stranded and incapable of recovering against pace and balls played beyond him. This possibly leads to a loss of confidence, further hesitance, and being less than comfortable when in possession of the ball.

Similarly, our full backs are expected to attack down the flanks making them more like wing backs. When a team plays with wing backs it normally sets up with a back 3. We go with a 2 which leaves them more exposed and vulnerable.

However, we do play with 2 defensive midfielders with a view to them protecting the defence. Jones was brought back in as this is his main attribute but since his introduction we have leaked 5 goals in 2 games. He rarely has a shot at goal and never looks like scoring whereas Naylor now has 3 goals to his name. So, could the tweak be as simple as Jones, or a.n.other, sitting defensively deeper and virtually alongside the CBs rather than advancing further forward like he does?

Whatever, the management have to find a way of preventing goals being leaked at a rate of 2 a game even if this means an adjustment to the favoured 4-2-3-1.

#59 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:SPIREITES ;oD

Posted 03 September 2023 - 07:03 PM

View PostCum on u blues, on 02 September 2023 - 07:52 PM, said:

I noticed there's a few that can't wait to get stuck in to Jacobs, the 1866 man of the match

I’ll be as kind as possible and say I wasn’t aware that 1866 has priority nor ability to decide who was MOTM when they’re sitting on the fence every week like all those conducting pre and post-match interviews

No one wants to tackle the management because they want to stay on the right side for the wrong reasons

1866 is our in-house radio station. They do have priority and they can announce their man of the match, just like anyone can say who they think their man of the match is. 1866 does have a sponsor for man of the match, the club has a fans man of the match and hospitality has a man of the match as well.
You could message Derbyshire Times, Radio Sheffield or Elastic FM and ask them to ask a question for you.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users