• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Derbyshire V Hampshire

#1 User is offline   Brimington spireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Chesterfield + Everton Football Clubs Partial to a beer + rock music the louder the better

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:37 PM

Derbyshire getting a proper tonking
afridis hit a 42 ball century
there 202 -2 4 overs to go :angry:
ALWAYS SAILING STORMY WATERS

#2 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:00 PM

In a strange way for first half we didn't bowl that bad...afridi just got a flyer and it went from there. They had 5 internationals in top 6 was it and we didn't have a lot of luck. From there we looked a bit rabbit in the headlights as they had licence to tee off.

#3 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:36 PM

View PostJonB, on 22 August 2017 - 07:00 PM, said:

In a strange way for first half we didn't bowl that bad...afridi just got a flyer and it went from there. They had 5 internationals in top 6 was it and we didn't have a lot of luck. From there we looked a bit rabbit in the headlights as they had licence to tee off.

Afridis average for Hampshire in the T20 this season before tonight was bl**dy 7

Says it all but did he play on to Critchley but play carried on as though nothing had happened?

The big screen at the ground said 3rd umpire review at the start of the next over but only showed it once very quickly

#4 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:17 AM

View Postwhittman, on 22 August 2017 - 09:36 PM, said:

Afridis average for Hampshire in the T20 this season before tonight was bl**dy 7

Says it all but did he play on to Critchley but play carried on as though nothing had happened?

The big screen at the ground said 3rd umpire review at the start of the next over but only showed it once very quickly

He didn't. Smit gloved the bails.
Smit told the umpires, about the only thing we got right on the night.

This post has been edited by clarevoyant.: 23 August 2017 - 05:19 AM

Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#5 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:37 AM

View Postclarevoyant., on 23 August 2017 - 05:17 AM, said:

exactly

Smit held his hands up - very sporting

Afridi was ridiculous, annoying that he only does that once every few years these days and we were on the end of it

Madsen's drop was massive and we were never going to chase 250!

#6 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:25 AM

Think we missed a trick not going after Afridi first over with one of the "quicks". Whilst i know Madsen has done a belting job bowling the first over to then it allowed Afridi a sight and then he was up and running. Just think a quicker bowler maybe going at him with short balls would have been a different outcome. They had a bit of luck as well that we didnt but the gulf in class showed....they had 5 international cricketers in their top 6, we had a lad dumped by Middlesex, young lad who had to leave Lancs to get a chance, another one dumped by Lancs, a bowler chucked up the order, 33yr old from Sth Africa who is our only real class player and Wilson who is an international but for bleeding Ireland!!

All this said last night shouldnt take away from what they achieved prior to last night. Qualified well from the group when the likes of Yorkshire and Lancashire failed to. Some very good wins, very close to chasing 200+ at Trent Bridge. For once the signs are positive going forward. Thinking ahead you wonder if one of the overseas slots could be used for a top batsmen but its not an easy decision to make.

One other thing from last night....Liam Dawson is a bit of a dick and how he played test cricket for England i've no idea!

This post has been edited by JonB: 23 August 2017 - 08:25 AM

#7 User is offline   RuislipSpire 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:02 AM

Watching Afridi took me back to my cricketing days when I and many others used to do the same thing to the Saltergate CC bowlers!

#8 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:08 AM

View PostRuislipSpire, on 23 August 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

Watching Afridi took me back to my cricketing days when I and many others used to do the same thing to the Saltergate CC bowlers!

Did Saltergate CC become Wingerworth?

#9 User is offline   Mr_Pleasant 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:30 AM

View PostJonB, on 23 August 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

Think we missed a trick not going after Afridi first over with one of the "quicks". Whilst i know Madsen has done a belting job bowling the first over to then it allowed Afridi a sight and then he was up and running. Just think a quicker bowler maybe going at him with short balls would have been a different outcome. They had a bit of luck as well that we didnt but the gulf in class showed....they had 5 international cricketers in their top 6, we had a lad dumped by Middlesex, young lad who had to leave Lancs to get a chance, another one dumped by Lancs, a bowler chucked up the order, 33yr old from Sth Africa who is our only real class player and Wilson who is an international but for bleeding Ireland!!

All this said last night shouldnt take away from what they achieved prior to last night. Qualified well from the group when the likes of Yorkshire and Lancashire failed to. Some very good wins, very close to chasing 200+ at Trent Bridge. For once the signs are positive going forward. Thinking ahead you wonder if one of the overseas slots could be used for a top batsmen but its not an easy decision to make.

One other thing from last night....Liam Dawson is a bit of a dick and how he played test cricket for England i've no idea!

What was Dawson doing to endear himself then?

#10 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:35 AM

View PostMr_Pleasant, on 23 August 2017 - 09:30 AM, said:

What was Dawson doing to endear himself then?

Not entirely sure he just riled me a bit....think the way he celebrated getting Godleman out when he bowled a half tracker and it was caught at deep midwicket and he ran around celebrating like he'd ripped his middle stump out didnt help.

#11 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:42 AM

View PostCartman, on 23 August 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

exactly

Smit held his hands up - very sporting

Afridi was ridiculous, annoying that he only does that once every few years these days and we were on the end of it

Madsen's drop was massive and we were never going to chase 250!

Afridi played for Derbyshire about 15 years ago and joined the list of waste of space overseas signings at the time

#12 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:47 AM

View Postwhittman, on 23 August 2017 - 09:42 AM, said:

Afridi played for Derbyshire about 15 years ago and joined the list of waste of space overseas signings at the time

yeah, we did comment that we didn't think he scored 100 runs in total for us

View PostJonB, on 23 August 2017 - 09:35 AM, said:

Not entirely sure he just riled me a bit....think the way he celebrated getting Godleman out when he bowled a half tracker and it was caught at deep midwicket and he ran around celebrating like he'd ripped his middle stump out didnt help.

didn't rile me as much as our bowlers still celebrating wickets at 230-6 etc etc

#13 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:49 AM

View Postclarevoyant., on 23 August 2017 - 05:17 AM, said:

Fair enough it was just confusing at the time when it came up on the big screen as a 3rd umpire review but play was continuing as normal at the time

Everything that could go wrong last night did and it was just an occasion to try and forget

Lets just hope its not another 12 years before we get another chance to get to t20 finals day

This post has been edited by whittman: 23 August 2017 - 09:52 AM

#14 User is offline   RuislipSpire 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:55 AM

View PostCartman, on 23 August 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

Did Saltergate CC become Wingerworth?

Yep they moved to Wingerworth from North Wingfield.
So obviously you remember easy pickings too!

#15 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:17 AM

View PostRuislipSpire, on 23 August 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

Yep they moved to Wingerworth from North Wingfield.
So obviously you remember easy pickings too!

not really, think I've been out trying to hit the ball into the pond every time I've played at Wingerworth! The Taylor's were good players for them

#16 User is offline   RuislipSpire 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:42 AM

View PostCartman, on 23 August 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

not really, think I've been out trying to hit the ball into the pond every time I've played at Wingerworth! The Taylor's were good players for them

Aah the pond. I particularly remember when clairvoyant was bowling. Besides being guaranteed 15 runs off every one if his overs, instead of wearing helmets, his team mates all wore snorkel's!

This post has been edited by RuislipSpire: 23 August 2017 - 10:55 AM

#17 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:50 PM

View PostRuislipSpire, on 23 August 2017 - 10:42 AM, said:

Aah the pond. I particularly remember when clairvoyant was bowling. Besides being guaranteed 15 runs off every one if his overs, instead of wearing helmets, his team mates all wore snorkel's!

Erm sounds like someone after a bitter experience which doesn't help as that could be one of many!!! Maybe the terminology gives it away, so a stab in the dark suggests that maybe you could be one of a trio of father and 2 sons dismissed in the same over, somewhere near the deedah border 😊
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#18 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:22 PM

Saw plenty of Chesterfield folk there last night. Still, thought there'd have been more there.

#19 User is offline   Footyman 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:18 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 23 August 2017 - 08:22 PM, said:

Saw plenty of Chesterfield folk there last night. Still, thought there'd have been more there.

Trying to sell 5000 tickets on a ground with 3000 seats at £20 plus will always be difficult.

Uncertain weather forecast coupled with 2 home games in the previous week did not help people with a limited income to spend.

#20 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:30 AM

View PostFootyman, on 24 August 2017 - 09:18 AM, said:

Trying to sell 5000 tickets on a ground with 3000 seats at £20 plus will always be difficult.

Uncertain weather forecast coupled with 2 home games in the previous week did not help people with a limited income to spend.

The weather was never an issue...it was always going to be dry and fairly warm if not particularly sunny and that was the forecast for the few days leading up to the game. Prices potentially not helped but also suspect holiday season and not a lot of time to get tickets sold werent great helps either.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users