Southport

#41 User is offline   born in 1866 

• DOH !!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 December 2023 - 10:37 AM

Benno Spire, on 08 December 2023 - 08:04 PM, said:

Why, they could get injured in training, so do we stop training now

Training is an essential part of their game. Playing against a NLN team in the 1st round of a meaningless cup game isn't.
All eyes must be on promotion not a competition with little to no financial reward.
"It's that simple" © Paul Cook 2012

#42 User is offline   Alice Cooper 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:Chesterfield Football Club,
    The Apollo moon landings,
    Military aircraft,
    Annoying my wife.

Posted 09 December 2023 - 10:42 AM

brimington spireite, on 08 December 2023 - 11:43 PM, said:

bradford pa were one of the ist teams i saw at saltergate mid 60s
remember seein workington o o draw FA Cup
then southport 73 ish they played in a wolves style kit

I remember those three games too mate.

Bradford Park Avenue was my very first Chesterfield game. It was just before Christmas 1963 and as far as I recall we lost. It was either 2-0 or 2-1.

I too remember the 0-0 FA Cup game against Workington in 1970. If I remember correctly the much travelled John Burridge played in goal for Workington that day.

I think we scored 4 or 5 against Southport when we played them in 73. Sorry I can't remember the exact score. I've watched an awful lot of Chesterfield games since those days lol.
Until I'm 6 feet under baby I don't need a bed
Gonna live while I'm alive I'll sleep when I'm dead

#43 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 09 December 2023 - 11:00 AM

born in 1866, on 09 December 2023 - 10:37 AM, said:

Training is an essential part of their game. Playing against a NLN team in the 1st round of a meaningless cup game isn't.
All eyes must be on promotion not a competition with little to no financial reward.

It may not have any financial reward, but it does have a bit of kudos and when we do get promoted it'll be another (replica) trophy to put in the cabinet that we will (hopefully) never have to compete for again and serve as a reminder not to let shysters take over the club and plunge us down to the depths to play in the competition in the first place! Plus I only know of two clubs who won the trophy and got promoted in the same season, Cambridge United in 2014 and Harrogate in 2020 (they won the Trophy after they got promoted as the Final was delayed by Covid)
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#44 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 09 December 2023 - 11:12 AM

Johnnyspireite7, on 09 December 2023 - 11:00 AM, said:

It may not have any financial reward, but it does have a bit of kudos and when we do get promoted it'll be another (replica) trophy to put in the cabinet that we will (hopefully) never have to compete for again and serve as a reminder not to let shysters take over the club and plunge us down to the depths to play in the competition in the first place! Plus I only know of two clubs who won the trophy and got promoted in the same season, Cambridge United in 2014 and Harrogate in 2020 (they won the Trophy after they got promoted as the Final was delayed by Covid)

There would be 4 more games to play if we win today, before the final. That’s a possible 4 NL games to be moved and squeezed in. When we maybe squeezing in games because of FA Cup progression and winter postponements.

The DT seem to think what a number of us think, it’s not a priority.

#45 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 09 December 2023 - 11:19 AM

Being optimistic there's a possibility that there may not be alot to play for during the last month of the season. Progress in this competition may add a little spice during this period. A utopian thought, having attained promotion we wave goodbye to this den of iniquity by thrashing one of the triumvirate of this league Borehamwood, Bromley but specifically soilyhull in the final.

If theres a hint of things going wrong, fixture or injury wise we pull the plug or use our resources (gate receipts) to compensate for injuries.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#46 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2023 - 11:21 AM

Alice Cooper, on 09 December 2023 - 10:42 AM, said:

I remember those three games too mate.

Bradford Park Avenue was my very first Chesterfield game. It was just before Christmas 1963 and as far as I recall we lost. It was either 2-0 or 2-1.

I too remember the 0-0 FA Cup game against Workington in 1970. If I remember correctly the much travelled John Burridge played in goal for Workington that day.

I think we scored 4 or 5 against Southport when we played them in 73. Sorry I can't remember the exact score. I've watched an awful lot of Chesterfield games since those days lol.

From memory I think Kevin Hector scored a hattrick in the Bradford PA match in a 3-0 defeat

#47 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 09 December 2023 - 11:47 AM

whittman, on 09 December 2023 - 11:21 AM, said:

From memory I think Kevin Hector scored a hattrick in the Bradford PA match in a 3-0 defeat

Yes -I recall him scoring 3- it was either in that defeat, or one the previous season when they beat us 4-2.
I remember Charlie Rackstraw scoring 4 in a 6-0 defeat of Southport in 1962. A few weeks later we scored 6 v Darlington, with six different scorers.

#48 User is offline   Alice Cooper 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield Football Club,
    The Apollo moon landings,
    Military aircraft,
    Annoying my wife.

Posted 09 December 2023 - 11:55 AM

whittman, on 09 December 2023 - 11:21 AM, said:

I've just checked the records on 11 v 11 and you're right mate we did lose 3-0 to Bradford PA but that was December 27th 1965 if that's the one you remember. The one which I referred to was played on 21st December 1963 and we lost 2-1, my first ever CFC game.
I noticed on there that we also beat them in the league cup 3-0 just prior to that 1965 loss on September 22nd 1965. I can't seem to remember that one though.
Speaking of Kevin Hector I remember going to the Baseball Ground in Derby for our league cup tie against them a few years later and he had signed for Derby from Bradford PA and I remember tarn fans chanting "Hector Hector Bunkum inspector" at him which as a 12 year old at the time amused me enormously lol. Think we lost that game 3-0 too!
Until I'm 6 feet under baby I don't need a bed
Gonna live while I'm alive I'll sleep when I'm dead

#49 User is offline   newbold ken 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2023 - 12:09 PM

View PostAlice Cooper, on 09 December 2023 - 11:55 AM, said:

I've just checked the records on 11 v 11 and you're right mate we did lose 3-0 to Bradford PA but that was December 27th 1965 if that's the one you remember. The one which I referred to was played on 21st December 1963 and we lost 2-1, my first ever CFC game.
I noticed on there that we also beat them in the league cup 3-0 just prior to that 1965 loss on September 22nd 1965. I can't seem to remember that one though.
Speaking of Kevin Hector I remember going to the Baseball Ground in Derby for our league cup tie against them a few years later and he had signed for Derby from Bradford PA and I remember tarn fans chanting "Hector Hector Bunkum inspector" at him which as a 12 year old at the time amused me enormously lol. Think we lost that game 3-0 too!

#50 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 09 December 2023 - 12:11 PM

Call me old fashioned but I would expect a professional football club to want to win every game and competition they take part in. We can’t call-out premiership teams for fielding weak sides in the league cup and FA cup if we do the same in the trophy. If my memory serves me well didn’t Aston Villa win the old division 1 in the early 80,s and only used 13 players all seaso.
Have passport will travel

#51 User is offline   newbold ken 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2023 - 12:12 PM

Only thing I can remember from that derby game was marching back to the station with gessler and co lol

#52 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 09 December 2023 - 12:14 PM

Never saw town but went to Bradford Park avenue to see notts win 4-1 ,got nutted only about 15 ,next to cricket ground,1967, remember derby away lost 3-0 1968 away all town policed from baseball ground to station.also remember boxing day v workington 0-0 ,16000 at saltergate

#53 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 09 December 2023 - 12:18 PM

One serious injury blows all that out of the water.
God I hate this league.

#54 User is offline   SpireRam 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2023 - 12:22 PM

Give a few minutes that need them ie kingy and Curtis. Otherwise I’ll suit up if it means others aren’t risked. Nice respectable defeat with the kids out and move on.

#55 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 09 December 2023 - 12:30 PM

Benno Spire, on 09 December 2023 - 12:11 PM, said:

Call me old fashioned

You want us to be polite, for a change
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

#56 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 09 December 2023 - 12:42 PM

clarevoyant., on 09 December 2023 - 12:30 PM, said:

You want us to be polite, for a change

The good thing for you Mick is you get called all sorts but with your age you have forgotten what was said after 10 minutes😂
Have passport will travel

#57 User is offline   newbold ken 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2023 - 12:52 PM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 09 December 2023 - 12:14 PM, said:

Never saw town but went to Bradford Park avenue to see notts win 4-1 ,got nutted only about 15 ,next to cricket ground,1967, remember derby away lost 3-0 1968 away all town policed from baseball ground to station.also remember boxing day v workington 0-0 ,16000 at saltergate

Bradford lot were all skinheads in grandad vests ,not very nice lot at all ; remember you staying as close to gessler as possible at derby lol

#58 User is offline   trickytrevsfanclub 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2023 - 12:56 PM

Every game should be played to win. Players can get injured shopping in Tesco. There’s no more risk of an injury in this one than in any other game. Keep them sharp, keep them fit and keep winning.
If you don’t want to go then fine it’s your choice but I bet you’d be at Wembley if we got to the final.

#59 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 09 December 2023 - 12:57 PM

newbold ken, on 09 December 2023 - 12:52 PM, said:

Bradford lot were all skinheads in grandad vests ,not very nice lot at all ; remember you staying as close to gessler as possible at derby lol

At the business end that's right

#60 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 09 December 2023 - 12:59 PM

Benno Spire, on 09 December 2023 - 12:42 PM, said:

The good thing for you Mick is you get called all sorts but with your age you have forgotten what was said after 10 minutes😂

Very good. But not everything!!!
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

Share this topic:

• (15 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic